Plot Advancing PQ it's a dream when we work as a team
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
if I ever start to think straight
Everyone Amun had spoken to seemed preoccupied with the war, so he'd decided to contribute what he could to the defense effort. In this case, it involved a hastily scribbled note to Isla asking her to bring any drugs, soporifics, or poisons she thought would be appropriate to the border of the Hollowed Ground and the Greatwood after nightfall. He'd sent another message to Varus asking him to bring, well, himself.

After that the potter had transported as much iron as he could reasonably spare and get his hands on (literally, since he mostly used his upgrade to transport it) and lugged it to the meeting spot. Once that was done, he'd hummed to himself as he waited for the other two Ascended to arrive. Every once and a while, he'd glance at the trees that marked the entrance to the Greatwood, scanning them for any sign of activity.

This is a PQ+ to help fortify the Hollowed Ground. There are three participants. In addition to his inventory, Amun brought a large amount of scrap iron.

1) Amun
2) Isla
3) Varus
this heart will start a riot in me
Amun
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
So long sad city of angels, you aint been very good to me
He doesn’t arrive at the same time as Isla for once – in the middle of working to refurbish the weaponry in the Barracks, he’d just come from a meeting with the blacksmiths he’d gotten to work on them. But he arrives, because the letter has asked for him, his oceanic gaze dancing around in search for his girl when they land on just Amun for the moment, offering the other Ascended a playfully fanged smile.

Lookin’ a bit better today, Amun.” He comments, noticing that there seems to be a bit more vibrance to the other man than there was previously when he was helping to train him. He’s quiet, though, standing with his arms crossed, waiting for Isla as he scans the metal that’s been brought.

Varus brings all of his upgrades listed in his profile (of course ;D) as well as his Light Disk!

Type: Grey | Style: Offensive | Level: Basic
Light Disc | A disc hollowed out in the center that has glowing rings around the outside when activated. The disc has sharp edges.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
we're always running scared but holding knives
"Sorry I'm late!" Infirmary matters take priority, as one can likely expect from a medic. But Isla is here, and whilst she doesn't have much by the way of poisons in her stock room, drugs and soporifics there are aplenty. So it's with a carefully packed satchel over her shoulder that she comes to join the two men. Pressing a kiss to Varus's cheek, she rocks back on the balls of her feet and smiles to Amun.

"So what are we planning to do?" she asks. Hastily scribbled notes are her thing (as are carefully crafted ones, or riddles, or snowballs thrown at her back, go figure), and the fact that this one is lacking detail is of little consequence. If they are bolstering the Grounds, it's all for a good cause in the end.

Isla brings everything in her profile, as well as a satchel containing herbs and drugs that induce drowsiness/sleep.
Isla

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:

The border between the Hollowed Grounds and the Greatwood remains untravelled, save for a few deer and foxes that peep their heads warily through the underbrush before deciding it best to fuck off. The smell of all that metal wasn't particularly inviting.

Well Amun, it's your show. Why don't you tell the team your plan and set about some tasks and we'll see how it all shakes out?

This PQ+ does not have a a time-limit to reply within (but lets keep it moving, mm?). Please post a summary at the end of your post including any items/abilities/shifts/upgrades/etc used.

Amun first, and then no posting order!
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
As first Varus then Isla showed up, Amun nodded to them in turn. Arching an eyebrow at the kiss Isla pressed to the other man's cheek, the potter grinned. Winking at Varus, Amun rubbed his hands together. "Thanks for coming you two."

Resting one hand on some of the iron he'd brought, the potter took a deep breath. "My thought is that we could make some caltrops, coat them in drugs to impair any enemies that might come through, and scatter them along the border. Since we should be immune to their effects, seems like an easy and effective way to increase our defenses."

Pausing, he turned first to Isla, then to Varus. "Isla, I thought you'd be in charge of coating the caltrops and Varus you'd be in charge of their strategic placement. I can make them." To demonstrate, he laid both hands on the iron and activated his upgrade, coaxing the metal to form into a handful of the small spiked objects.

Amun tells Isla and Varus the plan, then uses his metal manipulation upgrade to start turning the iron into caltrops.

Type: Other | Level: Basic
Metal Manipulation Upgrade | When in contact with metal, can conduct electricity through it making it malleable. Surfaces larger than 6ft by 6ft take considerable effort. The ability works best the higher the metal content, becoming unstable at anything below 50%.

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)
Amun
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Fashionably as always.” Varus hums to Isla as she leans in to press the kiss to his cheek, the smile that splits his face is genuine and gentle, a soft edge that twists into something a bit more sharp when his gaze lifts and he sees Amun’s wink. “Of course.

But he settles in, wrapping an arm around Isla’s shoulders and snuggling her in close for a brief moment before he steps away, following the instructions. “I’m on it.” And for an added measure, he offers a playful salute, stepping away toward the edge of their little grouping, scanning the border for any signs of trails. And while it’s unlikely that people have passed through, he knows that if he were to try and sneak across, he’d likely take the paths the animals have taken already.

He mentally marks them, casting a glance back to see just how many they have and how separated they’d need them to be. The second that Isla’s finished coating it, Varus steps forward to take it and place it in the ground, in some underbrush that it’s likely to follow the trail through the barren piece of where the barrier had been, only to pick back up on the Greatwood side.

Varus picks a wildlife trail to place the first few caltrops!

Metal Arm | A metal arm that's attached at the shoulder.

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Leaning comfortably against Varus and levelling a smirk at Amun (she sees you, boy), Isla perks up as the potter begins to explain his plan. "I like it," she says with a gentle nod. "But are we not going to put some of the wildlife in danger...?" She hasn't seen much by the way of deer, but her keen hearing tells her that they're around, and they're probably not the only ones.

"Getting drowsy and falling asleep likely won't do them any harm, but a caltrop can be a nasty thing if its fallen on." Nevertheless, she still shrugs off her satchel and leans down to kneel in the soft grass, getting out all of her equipment. Most of the sedatives she has are in powder form, so it's with a small amount of water that she mixes it into a paste to be able to start coating the caltrops, once Amun has made them.

Isla mixes her sedative powders into a paste to coat the caltrops.
Isla

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Amun will have to spend a significant amount of time (read: several turns) to create enough weapons to provide a sufficient border. So that's on you pal. Get with the making.

After the first few are made, it will likely occur to Isla that with rain and weather the coating of her toxins will wash away rendering almost all of her work null and void. Is there a better way, I wonder?

Now, here is the thing about political borders: animals don't give a fuck about them. As Varus cleverly follows a wildlife path, it should occur to him that the deer and wolves and such who have made said path are going to be the first victims of Amun's caltrops. Hmm. Do we care?
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun shrugged at Isla's question. Scratching the back of his head, he kept one hand on the metal he'd brought. His upgrade continued to work on the iron, forming caltrops as quickly as he could. "Better them than us, in my mind, but I'll defer to your judgment." He inclined his head to her.

Glancing around at the words, he hummed a low note. "I'm not an expert on wildlife but...are there scents or plants or something we could put in place that might discourage them from wandering where we don't want them?" He let out a huff of laughter. "Ones that won't deter people? I don't know, like I said I'm not an expert."

Amun continues to make caltrops using his metal manipulation upgrade.

Metal Manipulation Upgrade | When in contact with metal, can conduct electricity through it making it malleable. Surfaces larger than 6ft by 6ft take considerable effort. The ability works best the higher the metal content, becoming unstable at anything below 50%.

Amun
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
It's true - it only takes a couple of coatings of the paste for Isla to realise that the first fall of rain will likely render them useless (though, granted, they're still a jagged weapon). Nibbling at the inside of her cheek, an idea strikes. Using the wax paper that some of the herbs were wrapped in, she tears it into smaller sections and uses these to create a cap for the edges of the caltrops where the paste has been applied.

It's messy and it isn't her best work, frankly, but it will have to do. "They didn't start a war with us," she points out to Amun, glancing out beyond the borders of the Hollowed Grounds. "I suppose the scent of a predator? Got any manticore pee?" She smirks.

Isla makes a cap to cover the caltrop tips out of wax paper. She suggests using the scent of a predator to keep away wildlife.
Isla
Varus Callahan

Change author:
He could care more about the wildlife, but admittedly? When it comes to the protection of the Grounds and the Ascended within, a few animals are something the Captain doesn’t really consider as an issue. Still, since it’s been brought up so many times, Varus calculates, figuring out how they might be able to avoid harming any animals in the middle of it.

The ways that come to his mind certainly would also tip off anyone stepping through them, so the Captain frowns as he scans where he’s placed the first caltrop. “Hm, we could try the scent of a predator…” He trails off, making a particularly grotesque face back over at Isla for her suggestion, before he continues. “Or try transplanting some… Strong smelling herbs, maybe using some spices they won’t like we can spread around them?” He asks, his gaze dancing between Amun and Isla.

Varus tbh doesn’t care about the animals but he tries to pretend to and suggests warding them away with strong smelling herbs or hot sauce spicy stuff!
VARUS

Change author:

Do you think the paper is going to stay that way, Isla? Won’t a strong breeze knock it away? Regardless, someone should…stop Varus? Call him back? Bring him these wax-caps?

Amun, keep your eyes on your work pal or you’ll start to get sloppy as your energy diminishes.

Varus I thought you left. Stick to your story. Strong scents and powders will be washed away by the rain as well. Not only that, but obvious smells are going to serve as a deterrent with anyone with even half a sense of smell.

Thoughts?
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Eying Isla as she began ripping up pieces of wax, Amun tilted his head to one side. Glancing down at the latest handful of caltrops he'd created, his brow furrowed for a moment. They rippled a bit as he tried to make the centers became hollow and the spikes became needles. Holding them out to the Remedy, he'd incline his head to her. "Would this work better? If we fill the insides rather than coat the outsides?"

Chuckling at her question, he winked at her. "Oh absolutely. I always carry a few vials on me, doc. Break glass in case of emergency, that sort of thing." As Varus chimed in, the potter arched an eyebrow. "We could get the Flood out here as a dragon and have him piss on some bushes. Then he'd finally live up to his name, so it's a win-win."

Eying the surroundings, he finally shrugged. "Or we do what your boytoy suggests, plant some strong smelling plants to teach them to steer clear, which has the added benefit of looking natural. Anything else would probably give away the trap. But that's all I got."

Amun continues to make caltrops. He also tries to modify a few of them to have hollow centers and needlelike spikes and offers them to Isla to see if that would be a better system to distribute the drugs.

Amun
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
It's not going as planned, and Isla knows it. Grumbling and examining one papered caltrop with a sigh, it's only as Amun speaks up that the medic brightens. "Oh, that's a good idea," she agrees. Accepting some of the hollow caltrops, she proceeds to fill the insides with some of the powdered herbs, and others with the paste so it can dry and hopefully still be effective.

"Do you know, if we wanted this to be a more longterm project, depending on how intense you'd want the effect to be, it may be worth trying to cultivate some hallucinogenic plants out here," she says. Dream cacti are one of many species of flora she can think of that might cause issues for people trying to get into the Grounds. "There's also the Gilded Lily, which grows in the Glade... But that's a lot more deadly in its uses."

Isla fills the hollow caltrops with her herb mixture and suggests futureproofing their idea by cultivating sedative/hallucinogenic plants in the area.
Isla