burn 'em up and scatter their remains
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Maeve's steps are slow and even, wading through the water that covers the sandbar, casting her eyes up towards the sky where Aidon flies above her. His wings shielding her from the sun that shines down, the bright rays sparkling off of the water's surface are almost blinding, but she averts her gaze just in time to see a flock of hels. Not uncommon for Torchline. The little bastards were everywhere. She frowns, narrowing her eyes against the sunlight, making out a figure just ahead of her. The hels seem to have spotted this stranger too.

They swoop down collectively, swarming the unsuspecting bystander in a flurry of feathers and high pitched calls, pecking and nipping at their clothing. Maeve picks up her pace, jogging through the water and letting out a sharp whistle, "Oi! Fuck off, you lot!"
If you're a lover, you should know
The lonely moments just get lonelier
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my love affair with water runs deep into my soul,
the serenity as intense as the tides ebb and flow
The day had started out promisingly: bright sun (though for an Ascended that was as much a blessing as a curse), blue sky, beautiful calm (maybe deceptively so) sea. Amun was still in search of potential new dyes, and this time he was combing the beaches along Torchline for potential materials. He'd spotted a sandbar just off the coast and after trying to examine it he'd decided to set out.

So he'd rolled up the cuffs of his pants and taken off his boots. Letting the shoes dangle from his fingertips, he'd scooped up Zhanshi, who snapped his teeth at the potter and then at the water. "I know, I know, I'm sorry," the Ascended cooed at his companion. Amun made sure to hold the landshark far away from the spray as the potter waded out.

Eventually they made it and he released his companion, who dropped down into the sand. However, the Ascended had been so focused on Zhanshi and making it out that Amun hadn't been watching the skies. When the first Hel swooped down, he thought nothing of it. Nor the second. It was only when the third and fourth tried to land on his shoulders that he looked up and saw the full flock circling.

And, as he watched another one dive, he saw its eyes trained on his companion. "Oy!" he shouted, waving his hands. "He's not food you dumb birds." The little landshark, of course, never one to shy from a challenge, launched out of the ground again, heading straight for the descending bird.

So it was the Ascended found himself trying to fend off his own companion with one hand and some seagulls with delusions of grandeur with the other. Amun turned his body to try and shield Zhanshi while also keeping his fingers out of nipping distance of the landshark's mouth. He could feel wings buffeting at him and the squawks of the Hels directly above and behind him. Then he growled as he felt something plop onto his cheek and start to slide down his neck.

Great.

He'd been pooped on.
nothing is softer or more flexible than water,
yet nothing can resist it
AMUN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Now, Maeve might not have done too much travelling, but she knew what a Landshark was. She'd seen one up close and personal not too long ago. What the Hels were currently swooping after was definitely a miniature one of those. She hesitated only for a second as the man accompanying the companion shouted, attempting to wave off their assailants rather unsuccessfully and she almost laughed. Almost. Maeve picked up the pace, jogging through the water as her hand already begins to reach for the whip on her hip, uncoiling it in a smoot motion and igniting the end with a crack.

A sharp whistle followed and Aidon surged ahead with a burst of speed, attempting to catch one of the Hels in his jaws, knowing from experience the feathered bastards made wonderful snacks. The Nightshade is right on his heels, using the entire length of her whip to her advantage and tagging on that aimed to swoop down towards Amun, intent on pecking the Ascended's eyes out. "Fucking menaces, the lot of you!" She growled as the Hel burst into flame, shrieking in pain, but quickly falling silent.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Now, Hels were one thing. A dragonling and a woman wielding a whip tipped with fire were something else entirely. As she shouted out at the flock of birds above, the potter screamed right back at her. "Hey, watch it! What the fuck do you think you're doing?" At the same time, he ducked, tucking Zhanshi tight.

The landshark wriggled and chomped down on the Ascended's wrist. He ignored his companion, though. Already, Amun was diving off to the side, aiming for a particularly thick looking dune. He twisted as he did, trying to free one hand from the tangle of his body and Zhanshi's. Somehow, the potter managed it, and he fired his flashbang halfway between the birds and the woman who'd come out of seemingly nowhere, hoping to take one threat or the other out of commission. At least temporarily.
AMUN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Well someone isn't fucking grateful, are they? Now, the Queen typically isn't one to have easily ruffled feathers, but when someone is being attacked by a pissed off flock of Hels and they receive help it's usually polite to say thank you or something. It irritated her more than it should. More than it has any right to, but nonetheless, the Nightshade was more than a little miffed. "Saving your fucking eyes and companion!" She snapped back with way more heat than was likely warranted.

It wasn't like she was going to hit him. She was too good with the thing to actually miss at this point. There had been years of practice before she got one properly made that could do real damage. Sure, she had chosen fire for practical reasons, but she didn't have plans to use it. Amun was currently making her reconsider. Good job, bud.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As the woman shouted back at Amun, he snarled. With Zhanshi still wriggling in the potter's grip, the Ascened rolled so that his companion was trapped between Amun and the sand. The flashbang went off, and half the flock toppled to the ground, momentarily stunned by the upgrade. "Did I ask for your help?!" he screamed back at her.

Taking a deep breath, he added, "I'm an Ascended! One stray spark from that thing and I might blow this whole beach up." Warning imparted, he shifted his still raised hand towards the center of the Hels. Discharging another upgrade, he blasted electricity at the birds.
AMUN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"No, but looks like you fucking needed it!" The Nightshade snaps back, annoyance flaring through her veins, but she does her best to temper it. Especially after he reveals the reason for his own ire. Not that it really excuses his attitude. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem as the last of the Hels scatter, seemingly uninterested in losing anymore of their flock to their antics, giving them a few final caws of irritation before they disappear down the beach to antagonize someone else.

Maeve gives her whip another crack, extinguishing the length of the weapon so she might coil it back up once more, securing it to her hip once more. "I have more control over than this than you might think." She huffs, refraining from rolling her eyes, calling Aidon back down to her with a whistle. The dragon's eyes cut towards the Ascended, pupils narrowing into slits as smoke continues to roll from his nostrils.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun sent a last blast of electricity towards the departing flock, managing to fell one more Hel with it. Rolling away from them, he shoved Zhanshi into the ground. The landshark bit the potter's fingers before beginning to make a circle at the Ascended's feet. The only sign of Amun's companion was a small furrow in the sand. "Has anyone ever told you looks can be deceiving?" Scowling, he put his hands on his hips.

Now that he wasn't being accosted or in danger of being set on fire, he gave the stranger a closer inspection. "You're the Nightshade right? That's what they call you?" As she boasted about her skills, he snorted and rolled his eyes. "So what? Do you have control over the wind or animals too?" Gesturing in the direction the birds have flown off in, he asked, "What if one of those birds had knocked the whip into me, or its feathers caught and it had flown into me? Did that even occur to you?" Or were you too busy playing hero to think?

Shaking his head, he brushed the sand off his clothes. "You might rule these parts but maybe check if you're actually needed or wanted before jumping to a stranger's aid next time." Letting out a huff of air, he shook his head. "I appreciate that you were trying to help, but me and my companion were in more danger from you than we ever were from a few birds." His eyes trailed to the dragonling. Nostrils flaring, he glared at the woman's companion.
AMUN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her patience is thin and wearing thinner by the second. Maeve's jaw feathers, lips pressing into a thin line as she coils her whip, hooking it back to her belt as jade eyes spark just as dangerously as the weapon had. The irritation swirling in her belly only continues to rise and Maeve has to bite her tongue to keep from snapping straight out, but that barely lasts for more than a breath. "It's what some people call me." Comes the terse reply, "But I prefer Maeve."

A growl lodges in her throat and she is seconds from baring her teeth, "The whip doesn't work that way, but you obviously wouldn't know such things. Besides, it has nothing to do with playing hero." This exchange is quickly spiraling and Maeve knows better than to let it continue. Especially given her track record with self entitled Ascended. Aidon bares his teeth, lip curling as Amun glares his way, meeting the look with just as much disdain. "You don't have to lie." The Nightshade snaps, already stalking towards the shoreline and out of the water.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Watching the flock as it regrouped in the distance, Amun took a few steps in the opposite direction. This put him closer to Maeve. Running a hand over his face, he bent down and basically shoved Zhanshi into the sand. The landshark nibbled on the potter's fingers before tunneling over to the Nightshade.

Taking a deep breath, the Ascended straightened up. He held out his hands, palms out, towards her. "I'm sorry for overreacting. I had a bad experience with fire recently and I didn't know how your weapon worked. I just saw flames. That and the Hels had already startled me, so when I saw it in action I panicked." He inclined his head to her, even as she turned to depart. "Any way we can move past a terrible first impression?" Gaze flicking between her and the dragonling, Amun arched an eyebrow.
AMUN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her steps slow as his words reach her, explaining what exactly caused his visceral reaction, humanizing him and a part of her hates him for it. This would all be easier if they were just monsters, but they aren't. They're people and this is war and Maeve hates every second of it. The queen's shoulders slump as she comes to a stop, emotions suddenly overwhelming her in a way she's not expecting, causing her throat to tighten and her breath to hitch. This is the first Ascended she's spoken to since she last saw Adam before he passed. It shouldn't mean something, but it does.

She glances back at him, jade eyes red rimmed with unshed tears, a shaky breath slipping past her lips. "Yeah... M'sorry I scared you. I didn't mean to. Just- Just didn't want something to happen to your companion. Know too many people who've lost theirs." Maeve offers softly, turning to face him fully before unceremoniously dropping down to sit in the sand, arms wrapping around the tops of her knees.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As Maeve stopped, Amun breathed out a sigh. When she turned to look at him, he waved away her apology. "No need to apologize. You were trying to help." Cocking his head to one side, he frowned as he took in her bloodshot eyes that glittered in an all too familiar manner.

Taking a step closer, he sank down into the sands as well. "I hope you're not speaking from personal experience. And keeping companions safe is a quick way to earn my trust and friendship." Reaching out, he scooped Zhanshi up from the dune where the landshark had tunneled. "Say thank you, Zhanshi." The potter's companion nibbled on the Ascended's fingers before flying over to the Nightshade and her dragonling.

"Forgive me for asking but...are you alright? Aside from the me being a dick thing?" He leaned towards her, scooting a little forward as he did.
AMUN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

His tone shifts, taking on an edge that suggests he's attempting to soothe a spooked animal instead of a person. Maeve isn't going anywhere, though. She's too tired to run. The Nightshade shakes her head, swallowing past the lump in her throat, "No, Aidon is my first companion and I haven't ever had to endure the loss of one, but-" Her words cut off, swallowed whole and drowned out by the regret that threatens to smother her. "I couldn't save my friend's. I tried, but there was just too much." She'd been too weak to save Atlas from his attackers. She didn't have any weapons or a way to fight back. Not against fire magic.

Maybe that's why she'd been so quick to jump into this without considering that her help wasn't wanted or needed. That she would simply make things worse. A feeling that's been pressing deeper into her bones lately.

Her eyes snap back up to him before dropping just in time to see the landshark come her way, "I've never seen a little one of these before." She murmurs, hesitating to reach out in an attempt to pat the top of its head, not wanting to lose her fingers.

A watery laugh that cuts like glass slips up her throat, thick and sticky, suffocating her for a span of a few tense seconds. Is she okay? What a question that is. "No, not really. Life has been... Difficult lately." And she doesn't know where to start. What to say.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun inclined his head at Maeve's words. "It's always tough to accept that we can't always save everyone. Hardest thing in the world." For a moment, he couldn't bring himself to look at her and his own gaze became unfocused and distant. Then his eyes flicked to the dragonling. "It's nice to meet you, Aidon. I am sorry for the distress I caused you and Maeve."

Letting out a huff of laughter, he scratched his chin. "He's a little rascal. Just be thankful he's not inside chewing holes in your floors." Turning his attention to Zhanshi, the potter pointed a finger at the landshark. "No biting," the Ascended reminded his companion. Zhanshi gnashed his teeth at Amun, but the landshark did nothing more than rub a roughly surfaced skin against the Nightshade's palm. Then the landshark floated down to circle around Aidon.

Companions introduced, Amun cocked his head to one side as Maeve admitted she was struggling. Humming note in the back of his throat, he rubbed his hands against his thighs. "We're strangers, but sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger about these things. I'm here, if you need to unburden yourself."
AMUN