More than seasons change
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
He never used to stop in Whitebrim. No one with half a brain used to stop there. But then the place had been burned with cleansing fire, and things had changed.

Now--

He still didn't go to Whitebrim. Too many generations of bad blood, and no one left there who could use the services of a courier or small trader.

But he was curious enough to send his companion to scout it from the air when he passed by it. It didn't hurt to keep an eye on the place, in case the old rot returned.

Or something else happened, to change the world once more.

The dogs were lean from the long run, all their winter fat long since burned away, but they were sure-footed and in high spirits and the sun gleamed like a benediction from the snow in the last of the season's relative warmth. They barked and pulled excitedly at the harness as Tal guided them towards home, but he pulled the sled up short when he got to the gates of the Citadel, and both the dragon and the lead dog kept them ordered as he took a deep breath and called up to the guards manning the wall - and anyone else close enough to hear.

"'Nother Warden's dead." He scowled and reached up to rub the back of his neck uncomfortably through the thick layers that protected him from the pervading cold. "Where d'you want the body?"

The 'this time' went without saying.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Sah

The guard quickly retrieved Sah who upon hearing the situation rushed over. "Morgan's dead?" His voice is half shocked, half grieved. The Abandoned genuinely hadn't expected this. With Halo declaring neutral, he'd expected backlash from some to be their biggest concern. He hadn't expected Morgan to mysteriously and randomly die.

Brow furrowed; the Outlander sighed. "Alright, bring her in. We'll give her a proper Halo funeral. I guess... bring her to the palace for now." Sah ran a hand through his hair, frustrated "Do you have any idea what happened? Neron is nowhere to be seen either." This was such a mess.

Still, there was no time to descend into melancholy.  Sah turned towards the guards, addressing them and Talyson, "As the only member of the council left in Halo, I'll assume command for now. At least for the next few days while we get this situated. Then Halo can vote on a new Warden."

The whole idea pained Sah, he wasn't qualified or this. Qualified to advise, sure. Qualified to lead a region he'd been in for less than two years? Absolutely not.
I think there for I am,
But what if all I do is bleed?
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
"Not much left of her but... enough to recognize," Tal affirmed with a grimace. At least the remains were frozen hard enough not to stink.

He nodded, relaxing a little as Sah took command, and rested his hand on the broad head of the muscular dragon that leaned against his side. "Sure. Brought her this far, can take her the rest of the way." The dogs wanted to head on the familiar path around Snowcloak to their kennel and hard-earned meal, but they fell into restive line when Tal quietly huped at them and called the lead dog to start a slow walk, pulling the sled beside Sah.

"Dunno why she was out there. Boreal found her in Whitebrim." He nodded down at his companion. "She's tore up bad, like some kind of beast got her. Maybe she got caught by one of the big'un's out from the Draig?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah

Sah smiled grimly, "Thank you, it's appreciated." Halo had yet again been thrown through a loop and the Outlander couldn't help but wonder if their snowy home would ever settle, even for a season. It seemed unlikely to happen anywhere in the near future. At the mention of the companion, the Abandoned nodded in acknowledgment, "Thank you Boreal."

Taking in Talyson's report, Sah hummed in thought. "Maybe. If it was a dragon, I have a feeling someone might have seen or heard it. We'll probably have to send a team out to scout the area just in case though. There might be some other creature that's taken up residence. We'll spread the word to avoid the area for now. Even if the creature was long gone it was better safe than sorry.

As they walked, the Outlander found himself falling silent. Halo's position had just become even more precarious.
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal nodded at the thanks, and Boreal blinked a pleased, reptilian blink at the acknowledgment. She stepped out on the other side of the sled, ample deterrent to keep the curious from getting too close.

"Y'see things out in the White, sometimes, that never come close to the Citadel...Big things. Things you just hunker down and hope don't see you back." Tal mused, then shrugged. "Dunno what she was doing out there, though. Leader stuff, I guess." He slanted a glance towards the young man walking beside him.

"You're next in line for the position, yeah?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

"True." There were all manner of things that emerged from the tundra, and it was possible that whatever had done in Morgan was already gone.

Sah grimaced at the question, "Unfortunately." Likely not an expected response, but an honest one. "As the only member of the council left in Halo, I am. But I don't intend to keep it." The Outlander shrugged, "I'm still too new to Caido to lead a region, been here less than two years." He eyed the snowy buildings of Halo for a moment, "I love the people here too much to subject them to an ill-fit leader. I'll remain in charge just until things settle enough to hold a vote."  

And there was no way that he'd be voted as Warden, for all the same reasons he was averse to the position. He was perfectly content to be an adviser, and he hoped that whoever was chosen would let him keep his position.
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal's brows went up at the grimace, but he stayed quiet as Sah gave his reasons. "That, and the position's cursed," he agreed casually, glancing down at this sled where a tarp covered the last Warden's remains.

"Sounds like we could do worse than someone who actually gives a damn about us, though. Outlander or not." He paused, brow wrinkling in confusion. "Wait, what d'you mean 'the only member left'? Where'd the rest of the Council go?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah smirked cynically in response, "I generally don't believe in such things but even I have to acknowledge that Halo's track record is pretty bad. If I recall only about half of the previous Wardens are still alive." The exact numbers were evading him but that was the general trend from what he'd been told. If it really was cursed, that was just another reason to avoid it. Sah wasn't about to die and abandoned his kids.

Talyson's point pulled a shrug from the Outlander, "Maybe. Still, I'd rather leave it to someone who has a better handle on Caido." Sah's brow furrowed at the man's next question. "Well, Neron appears to be missing and Morgan is dead. That just leaves me. Halo's current council is rather small." Tiny, to be accurate.  

Sah glanced at the sheet, "I wonder if the creature is to blame for both of their losses." Was Neron's body out in the snow, yet to be found?
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal nodded agreement to the body count, and again at the deflection, grinning wryly as he loosened his scarves within the Citadel walls. "Well, no point in an unwilling warden. Maybe someone else'll step up."

Hearing that Neron was missing caused Tal's ears to perk up, and the suggestion of the creature having a two-for-one special brightened him up significantly. "He's really missing? There's a stroke of luck out of all this! Maybe we're finally rid of the fucker!" Blithely graceless to the fact that he was talking to the man's co-worker.

"If you want help going to take a look around the place I found the Warden later, I could guide you back!" Tal's offer was made with a cheerful optimism entirely out of place for the subject at hand.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

"Well with Morgan gone, the banishments she imposed during her rule are void. Those individuals will likely return as soon as word reaches them. I have a feeling a few of them might seek the position but it'll be up to the people of Halo to choose their next Warden", Sah noted. Though a vote seemed the norm, it didn't always occur from what he'd experienced. This time there would be one for sure.

The Abandoned glanced at Talyson with a raised brow, "When I say missing, I mean no one can find him at the moment and there's no indication of where he went or when he'll be back. The only reason it's strange is that Morgan has been found dead at the same time and he's not here to help." Sah sighed, "He might just show up in a few days but for now, he's who knows where."

It's not too surprising for people to loathe Neron given his history, but sometimes Sah forgot just how hated he was by some. The man might be a shit leader, but he was decent company. And the Outlander didn't hate him, found him amicable even.

Talyson's enthusiasm is interesting to say the least, but Sah can't pass up the chance to get more information. "That sounds good. Let's go." He nods towards the door once they get Morgan settled, indicating that they should make haste. He doesn't want any evidence to be lost in the time it takes to get themselves rallied.
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal tilted his head at the mention of banishments and opened his mouth. Then he closed it again with a shrug. "I've been out in the White a couple seasons. Guess things have been busy this year." Then again, when weren't they? "Why'd she banish 'em?"

Sah's reasonable reminder faded the smile from Tal's face and he looked away, annoyed. "Hmph. Yeah... that's what I get for being optimistic, I guess. Never pays to get your hopes up." The dragon rumbled in echo of his sulking as she shouldered her way along, and he flashed her a small smile. "Well. Maybe we'll still get lucky. Can always hope we find some pieces of him back in Whitebrim. I didn't think to look any further once I recognized Morgan." He'd packed her up and pushed the team as hard as he'd dared to get her last delivery home.

He helped Sah carry the frozen canvas to wherever he was directed, then blinked at the other man's eagerness. "Whoa, hold on, you want to go back right now?" He wrinkled his nose. "Shouldn't you uh. I dunno. Make sure someone's in charge here in case whatever got Morgan gets us?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah eyed the man for a second, "Where do I even start?" He ran a hand through his hair and sighed heavily. "They wanted Halo to declare for the Old Gods and pushed Morgan to give up her seat as Warden. Morgan left and then a few days later came in on dragon-back with a group of Ascended and chased them out, taking back her spot. The dragon even fired on Halo. It was a mess."

The Abandoned paused, "Those are the people returning. Halo likely won't remain neutral because of it." Talyson's sudden reservations surprised Sah. "Well, yes. I plan to leave the guards in charge." He nodded towards the group who was beside them, getting acknowledging nods back. "But we need to go before any evidence is destroyed."

Sah smirked slightly when he realized why the courier was worried. "Don't worry. We'll be fine." Lightning crackled across his hands, "My magic has always been more offensive them Morgan's."

With that, the temporary Warden released his magic and headed for the door, "Lead the way."
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal blinked at the recap. "Well... that's... a fucking lot to take in." He frowned. "So... Morgan was a Warden again because she lead a coop?" The pronunciation wasn't quite right, but he was trying.

He chewed on his lip roughly, trying to piece together the puzzle. He didn't get very far before Sah's haste took him by surprise, and he shook his head firmly. "Look, we can get by without a Warden. We've done it before. So if you want to go get et, I won't stop you. But I ran my team hard bringing Morgan's body home, and they're not going back out again right now. I'll meet you by the gate in an hour, though. Or you can start walking and I can catch up." He shrugged, but there was a stubborn jut to his jaw as he met Sah's eyes unflinchingly.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah nodded, ignoring the mispronunciation. He was never one to judge such things. "Yes. There were two coups back-to-back as well as a monster attack. And now Morgan is dead. It's been...insane lately." Stressful and tense, and constantly changing, Halo had had a very rough time the past few seasons. Sah had been run ragged trying to help keep things afloat.

The Abandoned paused and eyed Talyson for a moment when the courier put his foot down. Sah gave an appraising look before he smirked sharply, "Go rest. Just give me a bit more detail on where it was in Whitebrim that you found her first. I'll go alone." The Outlander gave a few more orders to the guards before he turned back to Talyson, "These kinds of things can't be postponed unfortunately. Are there any more details you can give before I head out?"

Sah wasn't trying to rush the man, but time was of the essence here. The ice would preserve some things but there were plenty of predators out on the tundra that would destroy other parts. It was best to go as soon as possible.
I think there for I am,