home is where the art is
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Cam had never bought a house before, never even negotiated a lease without their parents' help -- but fortunately, neither of those seemed to be really necessary in the Hollowed Grounds. They'd picked a small abandoned house in the Sanctuary, asked around to see if it belonged to anyone, and when the answer was a resounding "no one cares," decided to start living there.

Why move? Since their Ascension, they no longer needed most of the amenities that the family they lived with provided -- food, water, heat -- and they were tired of doing dishes for things they could live without. That, and they wanted more space to call their own. This little cottage should do nicely; they even had the construction experience now to fix it up a little. They figured all they really needed was a roof over their head.

That, and a sturdy door, just in case. They'd already arranged for the local locksmith to put a new lock on the door -- he didn't seem to mind that Cam had no legal title to it either -- so now it was really theirs. The furniture inside was ancient and worn-down, though, so one day Cam could be found out in the little fenced-in front garden -- all dirt and weeds at the moment -- trying to put a leg back on a chair.

"Shit," they muttered, as the screw they were using slipped again and failed to bind the wood together. They sighed and looked up. Maybe they should just get a new chair.

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Hemin Achlys
Hunter / Taxidermist

Age: 30 | Height: 5’8” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 1 - Int:
Played by: Spero Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Why be afraid, when you can be gorgeous?

A fancifully delicious smell bothered Hemin all morning. He'd wanted to stay in bed, dozing off while the adamant sun beat down during a clear-sky, but he was bothered by this fragrance that drifted through his thin walls. Hemin had no need for food anyway, but memories of when meat tasted like meat because he needed it bothered his dreams until he flopped out of bed and decided he was going to kill them. Whoever it was making this food that enamored his enhanced senses and filled him with futile desires-- they were going to pay.

Hemin rolled twice on the floor until his bumped into his dresser and then opened his eyes. Straightening himself up, he stood to fix his hair in the mirror. After a few seconds of finger combing, his curly locks dripped from his hairline. "Good enough." He stuck a finger in his ear and took out some earwax. "Gross, but i'll deal with it later." Then he sped to his kitchen.

Cobwebs spread across the stove and memories of when his mother attempted to feed him human food prodded his nostalgic little heart. That was before The Voice. He ran over to kiss a stone box with his mothers ashes in it. "You tried your best." Then it was out the door and into the street barely lit by the setting sun.

For some reason, the smell led Hemin off to a part of the neighborhood where a small, abandoned cottage sat. Which, to the looks of Hemin, no longer looked so abandoned. At the front door sat a person fixated on fixing up a chair.

"Ahoy there, neighbor!" Hemin moved in close, floating against the breeze that carried the smell. He stood behind the fence and leaned over just close enough to observe what the person was doing.

"A stump would do you more good than that, my friend." Hemin scratched the back of his neck. For some reason the wind shifted and the smell seemed to be coming from a distance past this small cottage. Guess that could wait.
Try it sometime.
Hemin
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Cam looked up at the voice hailing them, a little startled, then smiled to see a friendly neighbor. They hadn't really gotten to know anyone nearby -- or realized that there was anyone else living in this mostly-abandoned little neighborhood. "Hey, what's up?"

They looked down at the broken chair with a sigh. "Yeah, this really isn't working out for me. I might just have to scrounge up another chair. Wonder if I can scavenge anything, or if it's all just going to end up like this ..." They didn't really want to pony up the goods to trade for a brand new chair. They had enough furniture in their little house already for them to sit on; this one would really just be for guests.

cameron ?

Hemin Achlys
Hunter / Taxidermist

Age: 30 | Height: 5’8” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 1 - Int:
Played by: Spero Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Why be afraid, when you can be gorgeous?

Cam looked up at the voice hailing them, a little startled, then smiled to see a friendly neighbor. They hadn't really gotten to know anyone nearby -- or realized that there was anyone else living in this mostly-abandoned little neighborhood. "Hey, what's up?"

"Didn't think anyone else wanted to move in around here. Ever since the fires that flared up a few years ago." Hemin heard a creak as he put pressure on the fence and picked himself up from leaning on it. It almost bent downwards; it was so old.

"I'm friends with a discount store in town. The furniture there is crazy cheap and when I swing by he offers me the ones no one's bought in a while for free. Who needs furniture anyway though? Just sit in the grass." Hemin leaped over to take a closer look at the chair, brushing up against the person in the process. He held it up to the air and observed the joints. The screws were rusty and the pegs warped.

"This would make great firewood. Yup."
Try it sometime.
Hemin
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

"Fires?" Cam tried not to squeak. Being Ascended had given them a healthy fear of fire. They'd managed to avoid anxiety over the prospect of being attacked in their new home, with the reassuring presence of their nice new lock, but now that was replaced with worry that someday a fire would sweep through and burn them to cinders in their bed. Thanks, new neighbor. "Uh, yeah, I just ... wanted a place of my own, and it didn't seem like anyone was living here. Anyway, I'm Cameron, but you can call me Cam."

But the concept of finding cheap or free furniture cheered Cam up. "Do you think if we headed over there, your friend might give me a discount? If you're not busy or anything, and want to, I guess." They hoped the offer wasn't too forward, but hey, the guy had brought it up; wasn't that a veiled suggestion that they go.

Cam laughed at Hemin's assessment of the chair. "Yeeeah, I think I'll leave that to someone else. Not a lot of use for firewood here."

cameron ?