Training [se] running in place
For Tal
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Online
Change author:
MP: 9824
DEIMOS
The sound of iron shots is stuck in my head
The thunder of the drums dictates
After, after, after seemed to be a never-ending cycle of moments stretched and instantaneous all at once. Between sharing news, search parties, eventual votes, and everything else combined, there came to be some fragile instances where all Deimos wanted to do was survey the land. Sit on the Citadel wall. Wander in and amongst the streets and eaves once more. Stick his face into the wind and have the harsh, icy wake scatter back. Stare out across the mountains and cherish them for what they were worth.

But the first notions, aside from meetings in the Citadel, were to march over to the barracks. He could hear the whispers of passersby the moment he showed his figure out along the roads; for better or worse, and long strides made their way without any inclination of stopping. Opening the door, to reveal his old office, the hearth, the maps, the desk, the table, all relatively untouched – save by dust and debris, pooled into a strange sort of emotion into him. He wouldn’t bother naming it.

Then he swept along into the training grounds itself – blinking back something as he glanced at soldiers still there, granting them a brief nod, staring over the climbing wall that remained in existence. Maybe it was relief. Maybe they were echoes of a time gone, and striving to get back.

There were other things he could’ve been doing, but for now, it felt right to place his furs aside, grab hold of a nearby blade, and begin.

A swing of a sword, the rally of a weapon, built into a fury of melees and triumph, of disaster and ruin, pummeled directly into a nearby target.
The rhythm of the falls, the number of dead
The rising of the horns, ahead
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
News traveled fast in Halo, and part of that was thanks to Tal. The General (ex-current-future?) was back, and an iron-haired woman with a straight back and an eyepatch handed Tal a letter with strict instructions. He grinned fondly at the old soldier, tossed her a sloppy salute, and took off with his companion and his favorite dog running beside him, helping to clear the way.

The problem was, the closer he got to the Barracks, the slower his feet moved, until the courier had dropped to a walk, all trace of mischief gone from his face. Tal swallowed hard and rested a hand on Boreal's shoulders as the big dragon leaned against his hip. The dog kept trotting forward and then paused, realizing he wasn't following. When she tilted her head inquiringly in canine confusion Tal finally sighed and pushed open the door, heading back to the training grounds. The animals stayed outside, while Tal's booted feet trudged a hall that was both familiar and new since the last time he'd been by.

A peek in the office showed it empty, so he continued on to the training grounds and sure enough, the old Sword was there. Tal waited for a little while, watching the flurry of blows admiringly before an opportunity presented itself for him to clear his throat and offer the sealed envelope. "Letter for Deimos," he announced, eying the target's remains surreptitiously.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
DEIMOS
There was a crowd brewing and brimming on the sidelines as he careened through the target. The blade remained sturdy, crafted by himself some time ago, fitting into callouses and grooves, maiming the effigy with little effort. Perhaps there was some air of frustration, or relief, in the way it pressed into the fold, slung through the air, and blasted into the pieces. Before long, the faded target became just that – an old ruin of itself, arms and limbs fallen to the floor. A few smirks from fellow soldiers were delivered in his direction, but perhaps they knew better than to advance yet, and so he granted them in return.

However, another was bold enough to step out of the framework, and no sooner had he ceased in his motions, not yet picking up the remnants, did a voice echo along the grounds. The Sword shifted quickly, brows furrowing briefly, confused on how he’d receive a letter in the short interim he’d been here. His eyes flickered over the stranger briefly, maybe trying to place some familiarity, before accepting the envelope. “Thank you.”

Wondering if the haste meant something important, developing, or otherwise treacherous, he quickly sliced into the parchment, unfolding and unfurling it – gaze quickly scanning the document and its writing. There was a very brief smile, maybe the beginning of a laugh, before he turned back to the courier. Not intending to be rude, because some manners had been engrained since childhood, the rumble began again. “My apologies – I recognize you, but I do not know your name.”
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Tal shrugged, reaching up to tug at the end of his scarf absently as the Sword rumbled at him, like a mountain that could talk. "Yeah, no worries. I guess I wasn't around much when you were in charge after... well. Yeah. Sorry. I'm Tal. Tal Seawright." He tried for a smile but it felt weird and he let it fade, reaching up to rub at the back of his neck awkwardly.

He nodded towards the target - or rather, where the target had been - with an admiring tilt to his chin instead, trying not to hunch his shoulders at the crowd of other guards who had been watching. Some of them knew him; were old family friends, even, but that didn't make the weight of their gazes any easier to bear. "Did you, uh, train a long time before you were able to do that?" He looked uncomfortable, just a weedy kid standing beside a legend, but he didn't retreat, either. "Not even my dad could hit the targets that hard."
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
There were some deeper roots embedded, and while Deimos wouldn’t pry, his eyes narrowed. Much too used to scrutinizing one’s adversaries and enemies, it’d become a trait to study even the most subtle of movements; and there seemed to be layers of other notions stuck in between. Instead of making the situation even more awkward, he offered his hand to shake. “Pleased to meet you, Tal.” Thereafter, he tucked the letter into a pocket, intending to respond when he had a free moment.

Crouching to begin picking up the pieces, for they were likely destined for the closest hearth, he missed the admiring tilt, but not the way the question lingered and loitered. His gaze notched over the edges of his shoulders, watching the younger man for an instant, before rising back to his great height, and wandering over to one of the fires. “Yes,” he pronounced briefly, by way of amusement and reticence, though there was a slight flicker of a grin, as if he knew he was being intentionally vague and irritating. “It comes from experience, time, and practice.” And some measure of skill, he supposed. Considering the courier was likely a Natural, he tilted his head, trying to place any other familiarity within. “Was your father a soldier?”
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
This time the grin flashed a little more naturally as Tal grabbed the hand and gave it a firm shake; or at least, as firm as he could give. Which wasn't saying much. But... An Attempt Was Made.

Tal was used to having to look up, and he didn't seem to mind when it was one of the heroes of Halo. There was a moment of hesitation when Deimos began to gather the shards, but the chance to trade words with the former General was too great a lure to ignore, and he quickly stepped up to help with an armload of his own.

Too bad Deimos's answer was entirely expected - but still not what a young man wanted to hear. A look of resignation passed briefly over his face, but at the perspicacious question he almost stumbled in surprise. A few chunks fell out of his grip and he had to crouch to precariously shuffle them back into his arms without dropping the rest. It gave him a chance to duck his head against the old, familiar tightness in his chest as he nodded. "...Yeah. Right up until that fucker Neron pissed off Lady Winter a few years back. Dad was one of the ones sent to defend the gate that night..." He dropped his burden on the fire and tried to awkwardly shrug it off. "I dunno if he ever got to meet you, though. Morgan was still Captain, then."
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Placing the remnants into the brazier, listening to the snap and crackle of the fibers melding and unfurled away, he glanced upwards to watch the crowd of onlookers. They seemed to have taken the liberty of filtering and flickering away, maneuvering back to what they were doing – perhaps expecting a snap of orders and commands. But without the title, he left them to their own devices, surveying the way things had altered or changed in his absence and exile.

Attention dissipated back to Tal, mildly surprised he’d been followed, but not with the words that came. There was a snort embedded in his chest, from age-old animosity and rancor, at the first few words. Neron had the innate ability to enrage the general public, and still somehow manage to remain - save for now. An insufferable charlatan, his actions haunted and loomed throughout the citizens, and one could hope that eventually such notions would fade.

But not with death and demise, he supposed. The Sword knew that well. Voice persisting in his usual rumble, he snagged a few more pieces and tossed them into the flames. “It is a shame how much Neron’s influence persists.” Deimos hadn’t heard a tale where anything had been beneficial from the man’s reign. “Sorry for your loss.” His gaze landed elsewhere, on the climbing wall perhaps, so the youth had an opportunity to recover some of that former reticence. “No, I would not have been able to meet him. I was in the Grounds at that time.” Enduring LongNight and its perils.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal seemed to relax as people drifted away, shoulders lifting and spine straightening from the self-conscious curve that had afflicted him when he was the center of attention. He stood in front of the fire, warming his hands once he'd deposited his load of kindling.

He relaxed further at Deimos's clear opinion on Neron, giving a sharp nod of grim agreement. "Yeah... thanks." He accepted the condolences awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck again as he shrugged at the confirmation that the General had never known his father. "I think he would have liked you, though. Wasn't always good at showing it but..." Tal trailed off, looking around desperately for inspiration on where to take a conversation he hadn't planned out this far.

"Uh... D'you... know anything about fighting with axes?" he asked, eyes lighting on a weapon in a nearby rack.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Deimos heard the solemnity loud and clear, and was half-tempted to drift back into his habitual reticence. Whether he would’ve been liked or not caused a gradual arch of the brow, because the Sword, nor Reaper, had ever cared about those notions. "Halo has had many good soldiers." And some, unfortunately lost, due to the idiocy of its sovereigns.

Weaponry, however, was a far better topic. “Some. My preferences are usually with blades, bows, or the staff.” His eyes roamed over to the armory, where there were clearly an amount still remaining from those he’d crafted some time ago. “Though I did have someone show me the spear recently,” and he gave a half-grin, slightly boyish, as if the semblances of more armaments at his beck and call was all the more amusing. “Do you have experience with them?” And he jutted his jaw towards the aforementioned cleavers.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
A jerky nod was the response; agreement, but not without the pain of the observation hitting a little too close to home, even after several years. The nostalgia of the barracks had already cracked the courier's shell farther than he'd expected, and he didn't dare continue down that road with a hero he wanted to--

If not impress, at least not embarrass himself in front of.

Steel was trustworthy, reliable, and good for getting out of a tight spot. Verbal as well as physical, as it turned out, and Tal's relief was almost palpable in his voice and face as the segue worked. He revealed a brief, bright grin when Deimos showed an unexpected flash of humor that made him look younger and a little less intimidating. "Um With axes? Yeah. Can't carry extra weight on the trail, but an axe comes in handy even when there isn't something to fight." He chewed his lip fiercely for a moment as he gathered his courage.

"D'you think... I could learn a few things from you? I haven't really had anyone to teach me anything new since... well. For the last few years. Any pointers you've got would be great." His fingers twitched, tapping a quiet rapid rhythm against his thigh as he looked away from Deimos to watch the fire instead, stubbornly holding his ground against ghosts no one else could see.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Easily goaded when the notions of weaponry were on the mind, he nodded towards the dual purpose of axes; innately fond of anything that served more than just singular intentions. “Understandable,” came on another rumble, before he began moving forward, away from the fire, and towards the back, where he’d always long since stored targets. Striking out across the floor made several other soldiers move in various directions, either out of some level of intimidation or curiosity. He ignored the notions, and picked out one he’d designed some seasons ago, still there, kept in the thresholds of either safe-keeping or ignorance.

It was a very poor effigy of Sunjata, with a larger-than-life nose and a set of beady eyes. It had a replica in Torchline, simply because the Sword was petty. “We can try,” he murmured, knowing enough about axes, he supposed, to not be in the realm of poor instruction. He’d had a friend who once specialized in them – had seen enough, known enough, to be able to give some critique and direction. Dragging the target over to a spot without anyone else lingering nearby – though he could spot some shuffling from the corner of his eye – he placed it firmly in the middle, then backed away. “Show me what you know first.”
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Motion caught Tal's eye and he looked up in time to see the mountain leaving him behind. Tal trailed after uncertainly, hanging back with a surreptitious look around at all those still lingering in the yard and giving them a scowl on general principle. Not that any of them seemed to notice or particularly mind as they drifted away on other errands--

Or stayed to watch the General at work.

Tal squinted suspiciously at the target that emerged; it had a familiar sort of look to it, though not one he instantly recognized. It looked like something that would be fun to hit, though, and Tal's brief grin flashed in Deimos's direction. "Yeah, sure..." He trotted over to grab the axe he'd seen off the weapon rack, hefting it to find the balance and then setting himself in front of the target. He stole a nervous glance at his teacher, and then it was eyes on the prize as he slid his hands apart a comfortable width and stepped into the target with a grunt and a twist of his hips to build momentum, burying the blade into the target's shoulder with a satisfying thump of impact.

He put a booted foot to the target's chest and yanked the axe out with a grunt before turning to look hopefully up at Deimos. "Want me to keep going on the ribs and knees, too?"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
He gave one last piercing look to several other lurkers and lingerers; the not as brave skittered elsewhere, and the more audacious merely pretended to return to their duties – whatever those happened to be. A lecture that he couldn’t voice was on the tip of his tongue, before he returned his attention to Tal.

A very spiteful image of Sunjata being ripped to shreds by an axe sent him into another half-grin, nodding, permitting the courier to start while he surveyed. His observations were made in keen, scrutinizing adherence, archaic denizens of age-old traditions. The Sword’s survey went from stances, to grasps, to the way in which the youth attacked and assaulted the inanimate object, making mental notes along movements. Where there was fluidity, where there were angles to correct, where lines could be altered for a more advantageous motion.

He gave away nothing, other than the predacious tilt of his head. The same notched smile in the corner of his mouth remained when the thump of impact wore into the effigy’s shoulder, and engrained further when the Natural’s offer came through. “By all means,” because it’d be hilarious to see Sunjata in pieces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal clearly had experience using the axe as a weapon as well as a tool. He held the haft comfortably and compensated for his lack of physical strength with the momentum of the heavy axe head instead. The bones of skill were there in his movements, clearly oft-practiced, but there was little refinement beyond them, as if the formal training that had drilled the basics in so firmly had been cut short soon after, leaving the young man to flounder and make do on his own.

A grin flashed across Tal's face like the sun chasing the clouds away when Deimos invited him to continue. There was a bit of glee in it for the carnage to come, even if he had no idea who the target represented. Sometimes it was just fun to hit something with an axe and work out the pent-up frustration of being cooped up in the city again. Rolling his shoulder to loosen his muscles a little more, Tal shifted his weight back and then whipped the axe around at a flat angle so that the sharp edge bit deep into the target's side. Lacking the easy leverage of the first strike, he instead worked the blade loose with a sharp rocking motion before passing it over his head in a vicious arc and dropping low to spend the inertia on a similar strike to the general height of the target's knee.

This time the axe resisted being freed, however, and Tal grunted with effort as he tried to work it loose and reclaim the weapon.