[SE] Sugar and Spice
Sah!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
Tal walked through one of the Citadel's markets with his head down and his hands stuffed in his pockets. The day wasn't that cold, for Halo; Longheat's comparative warmth still lingered while the sun was up, but the young man's shoulders were hunched as if against a freezing wind.

Or against the crowd of chattering shoppers he did his best to eel through without getting bumped more than necessary, though his scowl seemed permanently etched onto his face as he mumbled apologies at the inevitable run-ins.

His dragon was nowhere in sight - and given her size, she was hard to miss - but his red malamute lead dog trotted faithfully at his heels. The pair made their way towards one of the bakeries that held a number of sweeter pastries and other confections among their wares, and Tal pushed open the door while Bell sat outside, tongue lolling as she watched the passersby and sniffed noses with other hounds accompanying their humans on errands.

Inside, Tal finally took his hands out of his pockets and relaxed a little, heading immediately to the little case off to the side holding chocolates and truffles nestled in puff pastry thrones. He rested his hand on his purse thoughtfully, checking the prices and running the math while he waffled on his decision.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3345
yet my blood renders me a King
Sah stepped into the bakery, raising a brow at the familiar face of Tal. "Never took you for someone with a sweet tooth." His lips twitched into a teasing smirk, "Figured you'd like sour or bitter things more." The Outlander walked over and eyed the display contemplatively, resisting the urge to throw out more comments. Teasing had just been too much fun last time, so Sah just barely resisted.

The Abandoned loved cookies and had been to this shop on numerous instances, but he had no idea just what kind of desert Ludo would prefer. The deity might be one for overly sweet candy like a child. But Sah could also see them enjoying the more bizarre or funny flavored candies. Perhaps an assortment would be best?
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
It took Tal a moment to realize the person who had entered was talking to him, but as soon as he saw Sah's face he scowled as the words slid under his skin, pricking and piercing like tiny puppy teeth - and didn't even try to hide it. "Ha ha. Guess Noah decided to keep you on as court jester, huh?"

He turned back to study his own chosen case of confections deliberately, a grumble emerging in spite of his best intentions to keep quiet. "And it's not for me anyways." He saw his reflection scowling back at him from the glass and made an effort to tone it down before realizing he could see Sah's reflection as well, and he took a moment to surreptitiously study the other young man and which desserts he was lingering over.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah's eyes narrowed at the jab, honestly a little insulted. Still, he managed to keep the smirk in place as he replied, "Oh no, don't worry. I'd never take your job from you. You're too good at it." It took an absurd amount of self-restraint to not pat the man on the shoulder as he spoke. But the Outlander got the feeling that that would take the joke a little too far past Tal's tolerance.

As he eyed the deserts Sah hummed, "Getting some for Ludo? Same." Nodding towards the person behind the counter, Sah quickly picked out a small variety to treats that the baker put in a box for him. A few cookies, some hard candy, and a few other things. The baker insisted he get something called a lollipop for the spirt as well, so Sah had them throw some of those in too. Though the Outlander had no idea what the little candies on sticks were till now.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"I'm not the one sniffing around the wardens begging for council position scraps from whoever's in charge this week," Tal shot back, stung and scowling at Sah's wretched smirk. He didn't have a silver tongue or courtier's graces, so he grabbed whatever ammunition came to hand. "Figure you'd take any job they offered, long as you got to stay in the Palace." And maybe there was just a touch of personal bitterness there, beneath the defensive snark.

Tal grumbled silently to himself as Sah beat him to getting an order in, too distracted by the other man to focus on the sweets anymore. When the baker finished with the advisor and came over to check on Tal, he pointed almost without looking at a cream puff pastry with the head of a cute bear decorated atop it from chocolate custard. He belatedly remembered to order two and had to scramble to get the right amount of trade tokens out for the family store. "Yeah. Well. Doubt it'll come, but better safe than sorry." He tossed the words over his shoulder as his delicate treats were packaged up, then gathered the box carefully into his arms.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah's eye twitched at Tal's comment, his smirk turning a touch predatory. "Beg?" The Abandoned shook his head, chuckling without humor. He sighed heavily, pushing back his growing temper with gritted teeth. "Fuck the Palace. I live in Snowcloak, thank you very much." His home was rather small, but it was cozy, and it was his. Like hell he'd leave it just stay in or near the Palace.  His 'office' was in his house as well.

Sah focused back on the topic of Ludo, his memories of the deity returning some of his mirth. "I actually wouldn't be surprised if it did show. Ludo likes to have fun. Last year around this time they threw a party. It ended up a food fight and it.. what's the word..? Pantsed? It pantsed someone."  He adjusted his grip on his package of pastries and headed towards the door after thanking the baker one last time.

Pushing the door open and holding it open for Tal, Sah added, "Maybe we'll get lucky and you'll be the one it decides to prank this year."
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The trademark scowl lightened to a more smug expression. Sah hadn't denied his ambitions, and Tal chalked it up internally as a point for himself. He didn't push the button further - for now - but instead traded for his confections and headed for the door.

"Oh yeah? Mm. I wouldn't know. I've got work to do. This time last year I was halfway up the Fangs delivering a package." And what a strange package that had been... but he didn't peek at the merchandise, or question the instructions once he'd accepted the job.

He nodded out of reflex as Sah held the door, but almost tripped as the other man got in a sly jab, and he huffed as he caught his balance and cleared out of the doorway so Sah could exit, too. "Yeah? What do you even know about Ludo?" The question held a sharp sting to it, a complicated mixture of conflicting emotions that Tal struggled not to show as he beckoned Bellatrix over to his side.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah got the feeling that Tal had misunderstood him somewhat, but he didn't care enough to correct it. Yes, he had ambitions. But not for power. At least, not selfishly? Was it selfish that he liked being in a position where he had more influence about what happened in Halo? More influence to use to make sure that those he loved where taken care of? Maybe it was selfish that he was prioritizing certain people. But he'd never regret taking such opportunities if it meant he could better care for his pack.

Tal's comments registered and the Abandoned paused as they exited the bakery, "You've been gone for a while. You've been warned about the war, right?" Sah considered his words for a second, "I don't know much about Ludo. But I do know that not long after the war announcement came, it organized that party. From what I can tell, it's a being that enjoys fun and often childish things. I can see it enjoying sweets."

The party had likely been for Ludo's own amusement, but the timing made Sah wonder if it was also a way to share some fun before things truly begun to heat up. As for Tray, if the courier had been gone for so many seasons, it dawned on Sah that he might not have heard the news yet.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The question wasn't what he'd expected, and Tal paused as he ruffled Bell's ears, his scowl deepening at the thought of having to admit ignorance in front of Sah. But...

"Some grumbling about the Ascended," he admitted slowly. "But... I dunno. I figured it was all just getting blown out of proportion, you know? These last few years, it seems like there's always something someone's pissed enough about to start a fight over." He was out of the loop and knew it, but was too proud to just come out and ask Sah about it.

He felt a little better that Sah didn't know as much about Ludo, but there was still the wriggling worm of jealousy that the outlander had gotten to go to a divine party while Tal had been freezing his bits off in the mountains. "Yeah, it's kind of..." he gestured vaguely with a frown. "Capricious, I guess? It likes kids' games, but it's not always very, uh, nice about 'em." Or so the old lore went. He slanted another unfathomable look at the Advisor, hand still resting on Bell's head. "You ever met it personally before?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
It was just as Sah had feared, Tal had no idea. "It's worse than that." He sat down at a bench, knowing that the cold would keep the pastries fresh. "You might want to sit." Regardless of how he viewed the courier, there was no way that the Abandoned was going to let the man walk away without knowing the depth of the situation.

Once Tal was ready, Sah sighed. "Some entity announced the war seasons ago. It's a done deal. In Longheat next year the war will officially break out between the Old Gods and the New Gods. Unless someone triggers it sooner. As to why that's the timetable or what is going to fully trigger it, no one really knows. But nothing is being blown out of proportion as far as I can tell, the anxiety is everyone racing to prepare."

He ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. "The Old Gods want the Ascended and the Voice completely gone. I'm not sure what the Voice wants besides maintaining her Ascended and power, but her track record isn't exactly clean either. The Longnight monsters are one example. Both have their flaws and good points."

He turned to Tal with grave eyes, "You might need to choose your side sooner rather than later. Or find somewhere safe to hunker down while the fighting happens. I've chosen the Old and so has Halo by choosing Noah. But the choice is yours alone." Sah knew he could or maybe even should fully sway Tal to their side. But he was never one to force his beliefs or goals on others. Especially not when it came to matters of loyalty and allegiance. Never.

As for Ludo, Sah shrugged. "Not really. Even when they've appeared, they've been invisible. I've only ever been in their presence. I've only ever met Frey, and that was only briefly when we asked for their help with a regional quest." And he didn't think that really counted.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal regarded Sah a little suspiciously, but he joined the advisor on the bench and Bell laid down again on his feet, watching the people passing by with calm attention. The courier's attention was all on his fellow, though his habitual frown deepened further with almost every line. Still, he listened without interrupting, and when Sah looked at him he met his gaze without flinching.

"Well that sounds really dumb," he declared when he was sure Sah had finished. "What'll the gods do if no one agrees to fight in their little war?" Not that anyone could get everyone on the world to agree on it. He wasn't that naive. But he still scowled as he looked down at Bell for a moment.

His expression was far more serious when he looked up again. "An' what side would you have chosen if Morgan was still around and in charge?" he asked bluntly.

He might have felt more relieved about Sah's lack of personal attention from the gods if he hadn't been so focused on the more immediate question.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah chuckled, a cynical grin on his face. "I wish. But with there being multiple Demi-gods on both sides who have no choice in the matter? It's not going to happen. Especially not with all of the other conflicts and skirmishes that have happened." It truly was an idiotic war. The Outlander sighed, "But even if there weren't, a war between Gods will occur, with or without mortals involved." He spoke from experience. Gods had started wars in his home world before. Even ones who had no followers to fight for them. They'd still do it, if it pleased them.

Tal's question is a valid one, and Sah nodded firmly. "The Old. I chose the Old before Morgan even retook her spot as Warden. And I made it clear when she asked me to join her Council of that very fact. She wanted me there regardless since I'm not an extremist. And when Halo voted to become neutral, I made my own plan."

The Abandoned shrugged, "I was planning to help establish Halo as neutral, just as the people wanted. I also was working to bolster the defenses and war preparations in case things went south. I was planning however, that once the fighting started, to leave. I'd go help Deimos, Noah, and the others." They may have been determined to retake Halo for the Old, but Sah was more focused on just keeping Halo safe. He'd made his case for the Old to the people of Halo and at the time they'd chosen to stay neutral. He'd been fully planning to respect that.

"But now that Halo's neutrality is void, I don't have to leave. Everyone who I'd been planning to go help protect is right here." That was why he'd chosen the Old after all. It wasn't out of devotion for the Gods themselves. It was out of devotion to the people he loved. They just happened to be for the Old, so here he was.

"It's kind of backwards, but I'm not sworn to any of Caido's Gods. I'm fighting to keep my people safe." It really was backwards. But he'd sworn his life and soul to a Goddess of his own world years ago. Even after two years in Caido, he wasn't ready to break that oath. Not yet at least.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Sure, but if they're going t'fight anyways, why drag us mortals into it at all?" Tal shrugged, scowl not budging. "Sounds like we get fucked either way." Not that he had much personal experience with gods, but he knew enough that when two ursurs were fighting for dominance, you didn't get between them.

The courier went quiet again as Sah talked... and talked... and talked... and had to stifle a yawn. "Yeah, you're a politician alright," he said wryly when the other man finally wound down again. "Could've just said 'Old' or 'New.' You sound like you're trying t'sell me something." He reached down to ruffle Bell's ears, looking at the people walking by on their afternoon errands and away from Sah.

"So it's not like you're really fightin' for any particular Old God so much as... whatever side your friends are fighting for?" His scowl was slowly lightening towards a frown, but it was still a fiercely thoughtful expression.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah shrugged, "Because they can. Because they're Gods. Who knows?" The minds of deities hardly ever made sense to him. Mune had, but he'd known her his entire life. Or maybe he was just bias. Probably both.

At Tal's words Sah paused. With a chuckle he reached up and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Fair point." He probably could have just said that. But it still felt wrong to just simply to declare. Now with where he currently stood with the Gods of Caido. The Outlander knew he should probably actually go meet some sooner rather than later. But he really didn't want to.

Tal's thoughtful look was a bit of a surprise, but Sah didn't know the man well enough to say if it was out of character or not. "Pretty much. If I can't avoid the war, I might as well do what I can to keep my loved ones alive." There was no avoiding a war between Gods. Though choosing a side if he were being dramatic, felt like choosing between his heart and his conscience. He'd chosen his heart and there was no going back now. Even if it made him feel sick with himself at times.
Sah