jacob's ladder
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
finn
it always feels more quiet in the dark
For all his love of routines, it isn't much of a surprise that Finn struggles to create new ones.

The last few days have passed in borrowed clothes, and any belongings they could scrape and salvage from his office and the Collegium have been ferried here, to a room in the White Hart. It's a different sort of discomfort to that which usually comes along with being in the Silk Houses, one that feels like an itchy sweater rather than being flayed alive.

But it's still discomfort, and so the days have melted by and the nights are spent fitfully, reading or staring at the ceiling and waiting for dawn.

This morning brings a fine rain falling outside the windows, and Finn sits at the rickety little table with a cup of coffee and moody blues staring out at the world. The initial surrender of his title, his compass, his obligation to any form of government had felt good, but now it's listlessness that smothers him. What now?
it always feels so stark
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
October
when the night has been too lonely
and the road has been too long
The door bangs open to reveal Tobi trying to balance a tray with their breakfast and two glasses of juice on it. Dressed in a shirt that is far too tight and sweatpants that are far too loose, Tobi is forced to utter a few curses at the glasses which are threatening to fall over as she awkwardly kicks the door closed behind her.

"Tadaaaa!" She calls, looking tired but composed. One might think living atop a bar with access to food at almost all hours would be a blessing, but given the number of refugees having taken up residence as well, it isn't. What was meant to just be a quick trip downstairs somehow ended up with Tobi agreeing to help cook about two dozen eggs for everyone else who wanted breakfast as well.

"Sorry." She murmurs, setting down the tray. On it are four pieces of multigrain toast, scrambled eggs, and some assorted fruit. There also appears to be the sad leftovers of a few pancakes. Flushing, Tobi grins and shrugs. "I couldn't just let them go to waste." She explains.
and you think that love is only
for the lucky and the strong
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
finn
Finn is slow to turn and even slower to rise - exhaustion makes his reflexes slow, and without a candle to burn at both ends, he isn't forcing himself to do work either. So by the time Tobi arrives at the table he's only just getting on his feet, by which time it's very much too late to help. "I'm sorry," he says, accidentally mumbling it at the same time as her apology, though Finn doesn't actually know why she's sorry.

He follows her gaze down to the breakfast tray as if the answer might be there, but he's none the wiser. "Thank you for getting us something to eat," he murmurs, settling back down in his seat and gazing back out at the bleary drizzle and dim, grey morning. "Are you busy today?" he asks, almost on autopilot, a hand straying out to snag a piece of toast and nibble on it.
it always feels so stark
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
October
'For what?' Tobi wonders brightly, before humming in response to his appreciation. Sitting down at their little table and adjusting things to maximize the amount of space available for eating on, Tobi pushes her hair out of her face, twisting the length of it over one shoulder. "Not...really. Which is odd to say, but with so many of the patients taken to Torchline, there isn't much for me to do." Picking up her fork, Tobi pokes at a clump of scrambled egg. "I don't have a clinic to run anymore, and I'm not sure that it's up to me to start organizing one if we're going to leave." This is said without any accusation or implication that they need to start making some decisions. That was true of course, but right now Tobi was just answering Finn's question as best she could.

"It seems like Ronin has things well in hand from what I've heard." Tobi remarks offhandedly, finally eating what is on her fork instead of playing with it.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
"For not..." Finn waves imperiously at the tray now set down on the table, as if that might to help sum up what his words could not. He lets his gaze follow a raindrop down the window pane and takes another thoughtful bite of his toast, before his attention snaps dutifully towards the conversation. "Would you like to leave?" he asks, as sudden as it is quiet. There is no hidden agenda in Finn's words, either; he's simply asking for Tobi's honesty.

"I thought that I would want to stay," he confesses. "Once the shock wore off. But I... I barely remember my parents' house. And then I was on the streets, then at Molly's... then the Tower. I don't have any ties with this place, so... if you want to go, I think we should go." The fact that Ronin has things well in hand almost makes it easier, in fact.

"There is one thing, though," he adds. "Whether we stay or we go, there is a music shop in the Silk Houses. I would like to get a new guitar."
it always feels so stark
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
"I..." Now it's Tobi's turn to ruminate on her thoughts and fall silent. "...I know I said that we should choose, but I think I keep waiting for the decision to be made for us." She admits guiltily. "That Ronin would say I had to stay on as a doctor, or that he demanded you help him, if only for a little while." But none of that had happened. Whether they weren't important enough, had been forgotten, or simply weren't needed Tobi didn't know.

But no one had come, or called, or pleaded.

"Noah has taken over in Halo, and he seems like he would be a good leader. Maybe we wouldn't even have to decide that we're moving right away. We could just...go and see how it is." Tobi suggests with a shrug. "I have heard the city is protected so that it actually isn't all that cold."

Smiling girlishly across at him, Tobi nods. "Let's go after breakfast."
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
"I do not think Ronin is the type to make demands," Finn murmurs around a sip of his coffee and another measured bite of toast. "Not from what I have seen of him, anyway." In person or from behind aura spectacles. "Besides, when I saw him at the Plaza he seemed almost as though he wanted it all on his shoulders." And he's insane for it, if you ask Finn, but regardless, no one was asking him to stick around, so at least there was that.

"You are a very good doctor, though. And the people here know you very well," he points out. "You would be able to rebuild the hospital, though I believe Nurse Milligan was fortunate enough to be evacuated. I don't know if that would affect your decision." Is that a smirk behind his cup? Never.

The idea of visiting Halo is curiously funny to him, but not in a way he can put his finger on. Finn doesn't ever think he's been a tourist before, is all. "I only went there once, and I was meeting Cian. I only remember the snow," he admits. "Perhaps we can all go, and take Everest to see it as well."
it always feels so stark
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
Tobi raises her eyebrows at this but says nothing. Whatever her thoughts on the sort of man Ronin might be or what he does or doesn't want on his shoulders, right now it's enough to know that Finn doesn't seem to be harbouring any residual feelings of obligation.

If it isn't a smirk, then the light press of Tobi's foot against Finn's beneath the table must surely just have been a mistake on her part. "I wonder if Halo has any sort of hospital. They must have something, but..." Trailing off, her mind suddenly bright with all the complexities of starting a new practice in such a foreign-feeling place, it's hearing Cian's name that snaps her out of what had been quite a nice moment of daydreaming.

"That could be nice. I wonder how we could all get there, though. The weather won't last like this for much longer, so if we're going to go, better we do it before it gets properly cold." Gods, she can't even imagine what Halovians consider cold.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
"My research indicated that it was quite a militaristic setup," Finn murmurs, hiding the smile that blooms from the press of her foot against his own as he sets his coffee down. "There used to be a Palace, when Neron Launceleyn was Warden, but the Deepfrost Goddess destroyed it. Since then, there are barracks, offices, that sort of thing. I suppose it might all change again with Noah, though."

And who knows what the future would hold. Digging into his breakfast in earnest now (an incredibly positive sign, though as a doctor Tobi undoubtedly knows that), Finn considers the getting there with a soft frown. "They ought to look into a skyport," he says softly. "For now, the only route is a long and difficult one, without a compass. I wonder if we would be able to borrow one so we could go. My understanding is that at Deepfrost there is no way in or out of Halo." So in short, Tobi is correct. The sooner they go, the better.
it always feels so stark
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
"Mmmm, you're really selling it, Finn." Tobi scolds playfully, before realizing that the man across from her would undoubtedly take her comment as a criticism. "I'm kidding." She adds quickly, though in truth she's now wondering if Halo would be much better than Stormbreak.

'They really should. The mountains will be difficult to pass, but...I'm sure with some training some of the captains would be up for it." Something rather funny occurs to her just then, and it's with the side of her foot dragging up one of Finn's calves that she says the thing which has her smiling. "You know who would make a good skyboat captain?" She pauses long enough to raise her eyebrows. "Everest." He flew all the time, was studious and careful, didn't seem bothered by heights or travel.. "..maybe he could an apprentice."
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
Finn is already opening his mouth to apologise, though Tobi beats him to it, and he offers her a shy smile instead. "I have also heard that it is very beautiful, and that there are many festivals devoted to fire and to the Eirachi, as well as the old gods. There are also large, fluffy birds called ningo, which are supposed to be very delicious. And their feathers make very warm bedding." Is he trying to sell it properly now, though? Yes, yes he is.

He nods his agreement regarding the skyship captains. "If nothing else, those who hail from Stormbreak will likely be keen to establish more routes in and out of the city, in case of emergencies in the future," he begins, before Tobi's got that shine to her eyes and her foot is creeping up his calf in a way that would have him flipping the table if it were any other person in Caido.

"Ever?" he repeats, wanting to object because his baby he's so young, but honestly, Tobi is absolutely right. "I am sure the skyship captains would jump at the chance to train some new blood. Though we are likely encouraging him to fly that ship of Mateo's, you know."
it always feels so stark
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
Tobi can't help but smile and lovingly roll her eyes. "Warm bedding you say?" Now he really is selling it. "Maybe I can moonlight as a dog-sled dog." She mumbles, imagining racing across the tundra with a pack of attuned (or even regular dogs, she doesn't mind), only to come home and collapse into bed with Finn.

Frowning at Ever being described as new blood, Tobi nevertheless nods. "I can't exactly see Ever being a hunter, even with his shifts." She says with a shrug, as her foot takes a detour so that she can prop her heel against the corner of Finn's chair instead of between his legs where its original trajectory would have led it.

'Better Ever than Mateo. If one of them is going to be flying it, better the one with a healthy dose of self-preservation."
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
"Only if you are chasing tennis balls," Finn says quietly, smiling down at his breakfast as he starts to clear his plate. He does wonder how well Tobi's particular breed would cope running across the Tundra, but he doesn't say that. "You'd be able to deliver medicine by sled, even if you aren't in it for long trips," he says, inadvertently continuing the conversation from within his mind.

Scooting a bit so Tobi can prop her feet against his chair, Finn finishes his breakfast and glances back up at her. "He doesn't have a violent bone in his body," he agrees about Everest, and there's nothing but pride and warmth in his voice. "And you're right about that. If it weren't for Ronin being here, I'd suggest staying in Stormbreak just to keep Mateo out of trouble."

But Ronin is here, and that is the point. "...I think we ought to go, and stay through Deepfrost," he says suddenly. "That way, Everest will know that it isn't permanent, at least not yet. And we will have a better idea of the coldest temperatures. If it isn't for us, we can come back in Flowerbirth and start new here."
it always feels so stark
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
"What a clever man you are." Tobi says, smiling so widely that the skin on her cheeks felt stretched her with joy. "I'll admit, I sort of love that idea." Tobi with her sled, making her rounds. "What do you think you'll be doing while I am out racing across the tundra?" She asks as casually as she can as if this was just a big hypothetical they were discussing and not their very-near future.

Snorting her agreement, Tobi nods. "I'm sure he'll find his way to Halo with us, and then you can work to keep him out of trouble there." She says of Mateo.

It's as surprising as it isn't, that Finn is the one to neatly put a bow around their plans. Adoringly, Tobi soaks up the moment: the smell of breakfast, the too-clear sounds coming up through the floorboards, the uncomfortable chair, and of course, Finn. Finn in his wrinkled shirt and messy curls. Finn with his ever-changing blue eyes and shy smiles. Finn, whom she absolutely loved and adored.

"I like the sound of that."