Ashes upon stripes
Alex Moore

Age: 31 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 1 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Alex

Although Alex's last welcome to Torchline had been rather lacking given Jack threatening to sink her ship when they docked. Yet she had elected to return for the next part of her quest. After all, the best bonfires were ones on beaches. And no beach beat the Ahi Coast.

Piling branches and the driest leaves from the surrounding jungle, the pirate set about making her fire. Once she had a bonfire worthy pile of tinder, she dug a small trench around the soon to be fire. Beyond that trench she placed a circle of stones. Perhaps it was a bit unnecessary to put so many preventative measures in . But Alex didn't want to take any risk of the fire spreading beyond what she wanted. Not with the jungle so close.

Once the pirate was satisfied, she took out flint and stone and set the branches aflame. The fire quickly took and soon her bonfire was made. Sitting in the sand, now all she had to do was wait for it to burn itself out and collect the ashes. For now though, she'd just relax and watch the flames.
The ocean bows to none
But it'll dance with the moon
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 19 - Int: 0
Mahariel - Regular - Black Panther
Played by: Lostdream Offline
Change author:
MP: 515
DARKEYE
Not the strongest win the battle —
Darkeye walked along the beach the information he had received the last few days made him very thoughtful. Every time it was too much, he threw himself into work or went for a walk. He was still waiting for the quest he had given himself and hoped that he would soon find someone with whom he could catch the panther. When he heard the sound of the waves, he let his gaze wander until he saw the point of light and approached it with caution. When he recognized who was sitting there in the semi-darkness, he was pleased. "Hello Alex, I hope your quest was successful." Darkeye approached her without trying to be quiet.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky

Alex Moore

Age: 31 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Alex

Alex turned when she heard the sound of footsteps in the sand. When she spotted Darkeye she grinned, "Darkeye. Good to see you again." She gestured for the man to join her at the fire. Bonfires were meant to be shared after all. And the pirate didn't mind the cleric's company in the least.

"I'm actually working on it right now. Once this fire dies out, I have to spread the ashes onto the pelt." Alex patted her bag where the fur was safely tucked away. "The quest has a few steps to it. I have to afterwards have it fashioned into a coat and then burn the teeth."The pirate's voice grew a bit grim with determination. "Frey is helping me craft a coat that's resistant to fire magic."

As a pirate on a ship made predominantly of wood, as well as an Accepted with none of the extra capabilities of the Ascended or Attuned, she needed to keep herself safe. Working on fire resistance seemed like a good place to start.
The ocean bows to none
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
DARKEYE
Darkeye sat down across from Alex and smiled at her. The last time he met her was not too long ago. Their hunt went very well for both of them then. She was young and knew what she wanted. Darkeye always liked someone like that. "I was just about to say the same thing to you Alex. I hope it's okay if I sit in." He saw her waving already and still wanted to ask.

"Will you grind the teeth first or will they just be thrown into the fire?" Dakreye thought about it and took a sip from his water pouch. "Yes, fire can be a good ally but also a very strong enemy if you underestimate it. I understand that you want to create such an item. How did you manage to get Frey to give you such a quest?" Darkeye was very curious.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky

Alex Moore

Change author:
Alex

Alex poked the bonfire with a long stick, tending to the flames so that they would continue to burn brightly. "I have to bathe them over an open flame specifically. So, I'm planning to leave them whole and simply roast them like you would with meat on a campfire." She had been planning to tie them to a rod and hold them over the open fire. Maybe rotate them slowly to get all the sides of the teeth. The pirate wasn't the expert on these things, but that plan seemed reasonable enough.

Darkeye's question is a reasonable one, but Alex doesn't have a fully reasonable answer. "I think, normally, you're supposed to go to their shrine and ask. I went to Frey's shrine to declare my loyalty and offer aid in whatever way I can. They responded that I needed to focus on gaining my own strength for the time being. I mentioned how having a fire magic resistant coat might help with that, so here I am," she finished with a shrug. It likely wasn't the most traditional means of acquiring a quest.

"I honestly hadn't gone in looking for a quest. But I know that actually going to ask for one is more typical." To be fully honest, Alex hadn't actually expected Frey to answer in the first place. She'd been completely caught off guard by the deity's arrival.
The ocean bows to none
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
DARKEYE
Darkeye looked into the fire and was momentarily distracted with her thoughts. He looked up there and at her through the fire. "I also have a pair of tongs if you want to put them directly into the fire." He then took his tongs and drinking hose from his backpack and started to add more fuel to the fire.

Darkeye couldn't help but grin "So you just asked a herald at the shrine to do it. I understand I'm just afraid that won't work for me... I can't pledge my loyalty to a god in Caido because I already serve a god. So I will have to find another way." Darkeye rubbed the back of his head and smiled.

"You were looking for guidance, weren't you? For a purpose for yourself then?" Darkeye was curious about the pirate's answer.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky

Alex Moore

Change author:
Alex

Alex grinned, "If you're around when I have to do so, I'll gladly borrow them." The pirate shrugged, "I get the feeling that I have to do these steps in order, so it'll have to be after I get the pelt tailored." The fire burned brighter as the cleric stoked it. The pirate could already see ashes forming around the base of the oldest logs.

It didn't come as much to a surprise to Alex that Darkeye was a religious man. He had that air to him, that of a wise priest. The kind that actually cared and didn't just try to convert people that is. The type that deserved their due respect regardless of one's own beliefs. The concern he presented was valid, however.

Alex hummed, "You do have a point. You're an Accepted, right? The Gods here are most fond of them, so that'll give you a bit of luck. But it might be best not to mention your God in front of them. I'm not sure how that'll go." She didn't know Caido's deity's well enough to judge such a thing.

"But from what I can tell, Frey is very laid back. They might be a good place to start if you wish to meet any of the Heralds personally." The deity had been very patient and free-spirited in the brief interaction Alex had had with them. Perhaps Frey would be most welcoming to an Outlander? She wasn't sure. "I think if you approach them genuinely, you might have a chance with Frey", she added.

Darkeye's question pulled a small grin from Alex. "Maybe." It wasn't so simple as that. "I wanted to protect my crew. Aligning myself and by proxy, them, with a God ensures some level of protection." She paused, "And although I'm not the most religious person, the Old Gods are who I follow and will always follow. Given that I'm a pirate, Frey and Rae seemed like the best choice in terms of choosing who to speak to."

Her grin widened. "I'm not one to just sit by either. When I made my choice, I planned on contributing. I sought guidance on how to help. Perhaps a direction at the very least. To fulfil that purpose."
The ocean bows to none
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
DARKEYE
Darkeye felt at ease and enjoyed the pirate's companionship. "I'm curious to know what's going on and to look over your shoulder," he said. "If you allow it. I will not help you unless you ask me to. This quest has been left to you. I will only be a witness." Darkeye felt like a priest for the first time in a long time. He enjoyed the crackling fire as well as the glow of the fire.

Darkeye liked Alex she had proven herself in battle and her faith seemed unshakable. But the fact that she had paid respect to the dead tiger had left a lasting impression on him.

He thought about it for a moment, playing with his beard. "I think they call my kind here that," he said."I don't hide my faith, I'm too proud of it. I know it sounds stupid, but I've been serving him for over a hundred years. I won't be able to get rid of that in a hurry, even if some people say I should stop behaving that way. It's in my blood and I can't get rid of it, at least not that quickly, and to be honest I don't want to. I'd rather be honest with the gods and let them know where I stand." Darkeye smiled broadly, his teeth showing.

Darkeye seemed to be thinking. "I haven't heard much about Frey but the word neutral hasn't come up much," he said."The sexual part, even more, so. I've been to their meetings and met someone there. It wasn't meant to be. I saw her and I must say I was captivated by her beauty. But it is difficult to judge her or him. But I will talk to all the gods anyway." He didn't want to reveal that he had already had a conversation with Voice.

Darkeye nodded to her and stuffed his pipe took a piece of charcoal from the fire and lit it. "You are a pirate Alex. Then I want to trust you with a secret. I was saved by a pirate and his crew in my world, I have never met better people than these people. Unfortunately, people don't live that long in my world and some of them were killed when they rescued me from the sky tower." Darkeye's eyes went blank as he told this. It took him a moment to continue. "Then a cloak that protects against fire is a good idea. Religion is a curse for most because they want to explain the unknown. In the beginning, it was the same for me." Darkeye tried to smile. "That's a smart idea, nature and life are a good idea in my world, there's a god for almost every aspect. That is, the fishermen pray to a different one than the sailors, and so on. A god is born in our world by faith and killed by unbelief."

"If you allow what direction will you go when the war begins. Or will you join a side and go to the field with your crew against the enemies of Frey?" Darkeye watches them through the fire.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky

Alex Moore

Change author:
Alex

"If you're around, then feel free to join me", Alex offered. The company was nice, and she was sure that aiding a quest would help the Outlander adjust to Caido. Having something to focus on always helped her adjust to new surroundings after all.

Hearing Darkeye speak of his god was intriguing. The pirate raised a brow, "You look good for your age", she teased lightly. How the man was that old, she couldn't fathom. Maybe it was just the way his world was? As for his idea? Alex hummed, "Just be careful, ok? From what I know, some of Caido's gods will be fine with that. But others might become offended at the mere idea." It'd be a shame if in an effort to be honest and honorable, Darkeye found himself on the end of a god's wraith.

Alex nodded at the man's words. "Frey is an interesting one for sure. I've only ever met their Nature aspect." Her brow pinched, "I don't think anyone is truly neutral for long. Not in Caido at least. I wish you the best of luck in maintaining so and meeting the Gods." Darkeye was choosing to put himself in quite the precarious position.

The mention that Darkeye had been saved by pirates pulled a grin from Alex. "You'd like my crew. They're a rowdy bunch. But hearts of gold." She paused, chuckling. "Most of the time." One of her more temperamental crewmembers came to mind.

It surprised Alex how much it pleased her to know that Darkeye approved of her idea. The man just had that town-elder or wise grandfather vibe to him. Hearing that someone like that approved was validating. Hearing more about his world was intriguing, "That many gods? Incredible." And likely complicated.

Darkeye's question is a fair one, one that Alex herself had been considering. "Yes, I think I will join Frey's side." Her crew was on board with the idea as well. They'd chosen to seek Frey out with Alex as their representative, given that she was captain. There was no going back on their word.
The ocean bows to none
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
DARKEYE
Darkeye smiled at her and nodded. "Gladly it would please me." It was a change from all the other things that had happened so far, and Alex gave him something else to think about.

He looked slightly sad at this comment. "I cannot depart from it it is an oath that binds me to it. I'm not trying to convert anyone here. When the war comes, many will doubt the gods. I have seen this many times in my world and I hope it is not so here. I prefer to say that the gods play second fiddle to me. In the first place comes my God, even if I am the only believer in Caido, I will continue to hold on to it. I owe him a lot. He saved me from my demons and helped me to grow. I would rather strive than renounce him,"he said with full conviction.

Darkeye smiled "That was the amusing part she was neither man nor woman but both. It was fascinating. As for being neutral, you either have to be very strong or have a lot of patience. My job is the innocent and then the war. Whether I'm still alive after that who knows." He said this as if it were self-evident

He grinned broadly at those words. "Often those with the hardest shells are the people you learn to appreciate. I would love to meet your crew one day Alex. I'll be honest though, I'm not a fan of the water." He said kindly.

The wind grew stronger and he snuggled into his blanket and a little closer to the fire. "It is fascinating but at the same time often confusing because there has often been a god who was simply reborn. I think live and let live as long as no one else is hurt and no one is forced to do anything, people should do what brings them fun and joy."

At this statement, his look became very serious. "I hope that Frey really tries to stay neutral, there are good people in the Ascended. I would hate to see them dead. But if a god commands it, you can't really question him or her, can you?" He smiled and left open whether he meant the statement seriously or as a joke.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky

Alex Moore

Change author:
Alex

Alex sighed but relented, "Alright." She just hoped it didn't come back to bite him in the ass. The pirate respected his resolve and loyalty, nonetheless. They were admirable traits for sure. But they'd likely get him in trouble eventually given who they were directed towards.

Darkeye's goal pulled a smile from the pirate, "Frey is certainly fascinating. And that's a good goal to have. I hope you can succeed." Bonus points for survival but it wasn't good to be unrealistic about war. And any who even mildly got in a God's way had the odds stacked against them. Some of Caido's Gods might allow survivors of the other side to live afterwards. But not all.

Alex thew her head back and laughed at Darkeye's comment about water. She grinned at the man, "No? We'll have to fix that at some point. Probably before you meet the crew. Some of them might try to help you get over the fear and as much as I love them, they can be idiots." Some members of the crew might think just throwing Darkeye in the water would help.

The pirate sighed, gritting her teeth slightly. "I agree. But the world is not so kind. Fun and joy are a privilege in many cases, and not the right that they should be. " Alex knew that better than most. Darkeye's serious look was matched by her own. "You really can't. Time will tell where Frey ends up." The pirate would kill for her own survival, and the survival of her crew. No matter who stood in her way.

The fire began to burn lower as the ashes built up. Alex took out the pelt and scooped up some of the ashes. She then began to rub the ashes into the pelt.
The ocean bows to none
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
DARKEYE
Darkeye was glad that for once someone didn't want to talk him into it again, but simply accepted it. He wanted to enjoy the peace here as long as possible. He liked the pirate for that.

Darkeye had the same thought as Alex and didn't know it." I don't know if the gods or even the people could leave a place like this alone that I'm trying to create," he said. I want to build something that will last. Something that will allow the people who have no interest in the war to survive. If it lasts after the war it would be nice but I guess my chances are slim, to be honest. To make that possible, this place would have to be accepted by all the gods or none. I wouldn't like to fight against people I like," he said frankly.

He smiled. "It has something to do with the superstitions of the people I belonged to," he said. They believed that they carried a flame inside them and that if they came in contact with water, the flame would go out and they would die. I know, total nonsense. I almost drowned once. I can swim well, but there is still certain respect. Of course, they would try. I would brave it, but I would end up in the water. That's how boat people are. They don't do it because they mean harm, but because they want to help." He grinned broadly.

Darkeye now looked surprised. "Then we think differently about the world. She can be kind. Joy and fun are what make it live. You can choose to be happy even in the darkest hour. It takes a lot of willpower. I fight for people who know only sorrow - the innocent people of this world are my mission." He said as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "Of course, I can't and I don't want to influence that with Frey. I would not tell a god what to do." He smiled broadly at her.

Darkeye watched her curiously from the other side of the still slightly burning fire and eyed exactly what she was doing.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky

Alex Moore

Change author:
Alex

Darkeye's concerns were valid, and Alex nodded, {ay}"You might need to get their permission before you start then. The Gods that is." The chances were incredibly slim but the only way such a place had any chance was if all of the Gods were on board. Just as Darkeye said. Getting permission beforehand was also more likely to be favorable to the deities. Though Alex was one for 'ask for forgiveness, not permission' so maybe it was hypocritical to say that.

The pirate raised a brow at the legend of Darkeye's people, "That's fascinating. I can see why you'd be wary of water then." Some tales no matter how illogical were too ingrained in a culture to ignore. It seemed like this was one of them.

Alex finished up spreading the ashes as she listened to the cleric speak. She found herself smiling sadly, "I used to feel that way. Perhaps I've become too jaded. Joy and laughter are what make life worth living. But I've seen it denied by those in power too many times." Her voice grew pained, "Been denied it too many times myself."

Alex sighed and shook her head, "But that's a story for another time." Her story was too painful to recollect to someone she still barely knew. Pelt finished, she carefully tucked it away into her bag.
The ocean bows to none
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
DARKEYE
He just nodded and took another sip of water. "I just hope you will listen to me and allow me to ask the question," he said. I will go to all the shrines and talk openly with them as I did with you, and I will see where that leads me. A lot of it depends on so many factors." He tapped his book as he had already talked to a few people, only the gods remained.

Darkeye just nodded, which was something she didn't want to talk about right now, and just watched her work the tiger skin. He was curious about what would have to happen now.
— the smartest do

Coding base by Sky