the offering
for Remi
Chaele Omriwin
Shaman

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 12 - Int: 0
Played by: Cith Offline
Change author:
MP: 235
in tenebris est veritas.
She falls to her knees and hangs her head.

The fire throws light over her like a blanket over a bed, wrapping her in a glaring heat that tries and fails to comfort her. But it cannot pry into the deep shadows behind the eyes of her mask, nor the echo of darkness that dances elusively behind her. It cannot fathom the trials that have been laid on the path to reach them. It can only reach upward into a clear, careless sky as it crackles like laughter at her bowed posture.

She cannot bring herself to acknowledge it. Not yet. Is it an illusion? It could be another trick, a test of the maze that has already exhausted her muscles and strained her wits. She must be worthy of witnessing it, or perhaps only worthy of the cruel joke that it is not real. Her mind is scattered and frail, but so too might it be open to the wisdom this power might bring. The bowl and its flame were the object of her search, after all. And she can almost feel the static sensation of magic here, as if it were the very fuel in which the flames burned.

Finally her head and the heavy mask it carries tilt upward, as one. She inhales in a deep stutter, but manages to keep her strength as she speaks lowly to the blaze. “I have come to this place, the place of the beginning, to seek what might be found.”

A lone arm emerges from her heavy cloak, reaching toward the flame. She repeats herself in a somber mantra, infusing the words with intention and magic. “I have come to this place, the place of the beginning, to seek what might be found.”

A complex bone charm hangs from withered twine tangled between her carved fingers. A small uncut stone surrounded by a halo of phalangeal bones resembles a planet and its rings. “I have come to this place, the place of the beginning, to seek what might–”

With a quick gasp she stops short, fingers curling back toward her and tucking away the little effigy. Perhaps it was a noise that startled her, or a glimpse in her periphery; perhaps it was simply a feeling, her inner senses heightened in this strange and sacred place. Her head turns towards what she thinks to be the source of the interruption, her once passionate mouth now quiet as the grave.

She stands abruptly, searching.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 62 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
the lullaby

We cannot pry into the who's and why's of fate and chance; we make fools of ourselves in even trying to force reason onto hopelessly complex and ever-branching decision trees. In short, let's not ask what brought these two together, at this particular time, and in this particular way. All you need know is this:

Remi is a man on fire. No, that isn't quite right.
Remi is fire.

The tawny wings that stretch from his broad shoulder blades combined with a boyish head of curls might at first suggest someone (or something) angelic. Fire, after all, need not always be a thing of malevolence. The scars that silver his torso and across his neck...those too need not immediately be read violently. Oh but the eyes. From the swaying shimmer of the flames that line his body, Remi regards the knelt figure with a flat sea-glass green stare.

"Do not stop on my account." In a voice that sounded rather melodic (read: Italian) if not subdued, the Lullaby folds his arms comfortably across his flaming torso and gives the figure a polite nod.

Because of the fire, it might also be prudent to mention that Remi is naked, if only because his clothing has entirely burned away.
Every shade of hurt you know
From the deep blue to the marigold
It's gonna make sense someday lookin' back
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Chaele Omriwin
Shaman

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
in tenebris est veritas.
A moment of stunned silence follows his words, followed by another. The flames that surround, no, comprise him seem to laugh joyously for his presence, but she can only feel a cold, sinking curiosity that stretches time and confounds speech. She has been warned of the whims of the powerful, and knows too little of the divine to tell the difference; this seraphim creature, in this place of prophecy, in all his light and beauty, is a deity in every respect.

Her knees weaken with the instinct to kneel again, to oblige him and resume her chant in aberrant worship of him, but stubborn ego dares her not to. Instead her chin tips ever so slightly upward, bringing the sharp nose of her stag skull mask with it. Her heart is a drumbeat in her throat, her tongue dry paper behind lips of fragile glass. Still she manages to form the words, "I am Chaele Omriwin, shaman of the four winds. I have come to pay respects at this point of power.”

The little effigy, partially hidden by the shadow of her cloak, clacks gently at her side– as if imploring to be cast into the fire. “Who...” she begins, though that does not seem like quite the right designation. “What are you? What do you know of this place?”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
the lullaby

Staring as if he had the ability to peer through the marrow and bone adoring the shaman's face, Remi looks from the masked figure to the guiser of fire behind her, and then back again. Despite the flames that made his features look almost illusory as the heat of them caused the air to shimmer, his expression was easily readable as one of skepticism with regards to this being a place of power.

"I am the Lullaby." Remi replies, taking a step forward. Predatory though he might be in other shifts as well as just a man, with a body encompassed by fire and feathers, his more aggressive nature was perhaps soothed such that his movements were fluid instead of rapacious. "The demigod of.." Aiming to move around the shaman that he might bring himself alongside the bowl of fire, Remi smiles to himself for a moment as he considers. "..death, I suppose." Had he ever said it so bluntly before? "Most just call me Remi."

Reaching a hand into the fire where it parted away from him like oil from water, the alchemist pulls in a slow breath before his pale stare flicks from the flames back to the shaman. "It was said that this place could grant power to the abandoned—magic users." If this Chaele did not know who he was, undoubtedly she was an outlander. "If I remember correctly, there are myths about jumping through the flames to become stronger. " With hardly any effort at all, the flames dampen down, and it's with an expression of you see? that Remi regards Chaele.

"I imagine it is a bit like saying you can walk on water. Easier when it is frozen, but still water-walking just the same."

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
When you see something out of the corner of your eye, turn to look, and see nothing at all, what should you conclude? That you were having a hallucination? Or that your peripheral vision is perhaps not to be trusted. Ask yourself, are you tired? Drunk? Under the influence of something? Is the lighting good? Are there lots of moving shadows about? Are there reasons you have to think that your mind is playing tricks on you?

Because...well, because it would be absurd to think that out of the corner of your eye you had just seen a house. A house with a figure slamming its hands against one of the upper windows with enough force to shatter it, and then...

Well, then you looked and it was gone.

Nah, you're probably just tired.
Chaele Omriwin
Shaman

Change author:
in tenebris est veritas.
His name did ring in the back of her mind like vigilance and dread, a word once spoken on bitter lips alongside the names of other distant, fickle beings. She had made it this far without meeting any of the entities that she had been cautioned against, and she counted herself lucky. But the predator lurking within his ease and grace was easy enough to intuit, she the presumptive prey that steps back as he steps forward.

A held breath is finally loosened toward the abated flames, her gaze finally turning away from him to witness them as he describes the little ritual. She had heard of just the same – it was why she sought this place out at all – but somehow she had not considered actually doing it. “That is not my power,” she explains, and it is true enough that the novice Abandoned can boast of no command of the elements. An amused grin takes shape in her voice as she adds, “Perhaps you are lying to me, that I might sacrifice myself to Death.”

Chaele might have kept her cool, might have gotten away with a pretense of hubris, if it were not for the illusory mischief that spikes in her nerves. Her head jerks toward the vision just as it disappears, born of heat and light and consumed just as blisteringly. Her eyes press shut to better ward off the disquiet that rises insidiously in her chest, and she can only hope in vain that the servant of Ludo does not notice or mind.

Her attention returns willfully to the flames, unable to meet his critical crystalline gaze. “Have you seen anyone do it?”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby

Her comment makes him laugh, making him look younger and boyish for just a moment. "That is not how I go about my work. But then, I suppose if I was lying, that is exactly the sort of thing I might say." Shrugging his shoulders, Remi lets his wings fold against his back where they disappear in a soft hush of feathers. Around him the darkness is banished by illusory images that appear so very real such that he looks as though he's standing in a sunlit glade surrounded by wildflowers. "I bring death, yes, but only to a select few. Those I collect are ones already marked by fate, but of a particularly violent sort." He explains. "I take those who would otherwise meet death horrifically and with a good amount of pain. I come to them early to spare them that." Glancing over his shoulder where motes of dust now dance delicately in the warm golden light, he looks slowly back to Chaele. "They leave surrounded by their favourite memories."

Sharply the illusion disappears as Remi too sees the house, the woman, the pounding of her fists. Narrowing his eyes into the darkness where nothing but a blurred after image remains, the alchemist tries to douse the snarl on his lips without immediate success.

Turning back to the flames and the shaman, the alchemist gives his head a shake. "No. But there is a first time for everything if you would like to try. I can keep the flames low, but...if you are quick enough, you would not be burned anyway."
Chaele Omriwin
Shaman

Change author:
in tenebris est veritas.
Her gaze does not stray from the hypnotic fire. Not only is it an easy distraction from the uncanny beauty of the entity opposite, but it is the promise of a worthy challenge in the face of a fear that must be fully contemplated. Whereas the Demigod appears younger than he is, veiled as he is in illusion and divinity, the Abandoned is hunched with the burdens of mortality and trepidation. When she speaks, it is to the blaze.

“Is death not supposed to be painful? Are not such horrors as pain and death said to be a part of life?” She argues mostly for arguing’s sake, a pretense of potency serving as a poor mask for her stalling words. “I will thank you not to spare me such suffering, when my time comes. I am prepared for the end.”

She steps back then, a single long stride that seems to test the distance she will have to run before a leap. “I will also thank you for not lowering the flames. If this thing is to be done, then let it be done fully.”

Her hand rises to her the clasp on her cloak and it drops to the soft grass around her feet. Her arms are covered in scars that upon closer inspection are revealed to take the shape of carved runes, twisting gently atop flexing muscles as her fingers ball into fists. She takes another preparatory step back... but something stops her. Perhaps it is something other than fear, like the gaze of the laughing Lullaby or the shock of what could have been a warning vision. Or perhaps her nerves really have gotten the best of her. One need not see her face to detect the dubious frown in her posture.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby

"Who said death was meant to be painful?" Remi wonders, sounding vaguely bemused. "If I am to collect you when your time comes, you can take it up with Mort in the afterlife if you disagree with my methods." He adds with a small shrug.

Folding his arms comfortably across his chest and raising an eyebrow, the Lullaby's posture gives little indication of whether or not he's inclined to grant this request of Chaele's, or not. It seems equally as likely that he might have the flames rise up to drown her, as it is that he might make her task all the easier, or in fact do nothing at all. Not even Remi knows what he might do in the moment; recept memory loss and years of violence have made him unpredictable at the best of times.

However, as the shaman shrugs out of her cloak, the alchemist's expression changes noticeably. Looking at her now with great interest, the Lullaby's gaze is not focused out of lust, but is more like that of an artist studying a newly revealed work of art. Her scars seem to him nearly as violent as his own and perhaps just as purposeful if not far more aesthetically pleasing. That they were so, has Remi swallowing and tilting his chin up, as if to keep some building emotion caged in the back of his throat.

"In your own time." He offers, his voice shockingly gentle.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
RONIN
"Remi, what are you doing?"

The voice that echoes through the hedgerows is quietly bemused, belonging to a man who has just walked out and into the Eye of Fire. Dressed as if out for a stroll, Ronin's collar is turned up against the breeze that howls through Queen's Gambit, tousling his dark hair into even more of a (somehow intentional) mess.

From his perspective, it looks as though Remi is trying to tempt a hapless stranger into walking into fire - and is he all that wrong, really? Folding his arms across his chest, Ronin glances between the demigod and Chaele, tilting his head. "I'm very sorry," he adds, this time directing his remarks to the Abandoned. "He can be like this sometimes."

Whether this is 'on fire and mischievous' or 'a bit murderous for no reason' is best left to the imagination.
one more wish for you

Coding base by Sky!
Chaele Omriwin
Shaman

Change author:
in tenebris est veritas.
Chaele glances toward Remi, still stalling, but pauses in surprise at his soft tone and curious eyes. She has almost resolved to do the thing, but then she looks again in the demi-god’s direction as he seems to double. Muscles and mind falter together with a few private blinks, followed by a careful, narrow exhalation. The masked shaman is left scrambling, quietly collecting the pieces of herself beneath a pair of divine gazes.

Because that must be what he is, to speak of the seraph with such familiarity-- the second man was not as alien as the first, but even his mussed hair and shadowed chin held something uncanny in their airs. The mortal among them is not amused. Her fingers stiffen around the tangle of yellowed yarn between them, from which still hangs the little bone effigy. It bobs idly at her side, content not to burn with her.

“I am not a toy to be trifled with,” are the first words that come to mind, confusion clear in the guarded slope of her shoulders. The rage of embarrassment seethes behind her teeth, clenched against other words until they burn out on her tongue. Instead, though she can probably guess the answer, she adds tightly, “Who are you?”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby

Remi, never at all surprised to see Ronin no matter how strange the setting, flashes his husband a sly, if not triumphant smile. "If I said I was working...?" The Lullaby wonders, and were it not for the entirely non-threatening pulse of love and adoration that would sing through their bond, his presence here—his fiery presence—might actually suggest he was telling the truth.

Turning that same boyish stare back to the shaman, Remi tilts his head slightly to the side, nonplussed by her words. "You said yourself you came here searching for what might be found, and so you have. Demigod of death—" Here, he gestures with one flaming, if not mostly fingerless hand, to himself, before extending it towards his counterpart. "—and the demigod of light, Ronin Taliesin." In the firelight, Remi's cheeks dimple as his green gaze falls on Ronin. "My husband." He adds with no small amount of satisfaction in his thickly accented voice.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
RONIN
The feelings that warble through their bond already have a half-smile tugging at Ronin's lips, but he manages to stifle it in lieu of the situation at hand. "Are you working?" he wants to know, stepping forward as if to tactfully place himself between the Lullaby and the shaman. (Maybe it's for her protection. Maybe it's because he's jealous that she's seeing Remi naked. Who knows?)

He's about to introduce himself when Remi does it for him, and he raises his eyebrows over his shoulder as if to ask when they have ever announced their divinity like this. Maybe he is working, after all. "You can just call me Ronin," he says to the stranger, keeping his posture open and his tone warm. "And you're right, of course. You're not a toy, you're a person. Perhaps we can all start over?"
one more wish for you

Coding base by Sky!
Chaele Omriwin
Shaman

Change author:
in tenebris est veritas.
She looks incredulously between the two as Ronin steps in front of Remi, enshrouding the latter in the shadow of the former’s blaze. It is easy enough to assume that the first maybe is true: that she has something to fear from the demigod of death, and his counterpart of light has a reason to shield her. Keen ears might detect a breath taken within the privacy of her mask, an inhalation like a futile obstinance followed by a sigh that steadies and subdues her.

“I am Chaele,” she says to the Huntsman, in the spirit of a fresh beginning. Her gaze shifts to his husband as she admits, “It is true that I did not know what I sought to find here. So I must wonder why you both were compelled to this place. What I am meant to learn.”

Then she turns toward the bonfire again, the one that she had come so far to witness and hoped so dearly to make something of. It does not look different from any other fire of similar size, and yet it is meant to contain a power that she is meant to desire. With the hand that does not hold her totem, she reaches gingerly for the heat of it. “You say your work is to guide the dying to peace. Does that mean I am meant to die?”