I didn't mean to (TW)
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Trigger Warning 
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
Amun had told her to stay put in the Grounds, and for the most part, Maea obliged him. He had been right when he said she couldn't actually suffocate from being there, and he was technically correct that it wasn't a cage anymore. It just felt like one.

And just to test that theory, just to make sure that it was true, she broke her promise. It was a quiet morning, veiled in mist that crept low over the flower meadows and well tended paths of Mourn. It promised to be a cloudy day, drizzly and dreary, and it suited her mood just fine.

The damp crept through the tattered cloth of her garb, soaked through her hair until it hung flat and listless against the sides of her face. In her hand she carried a dagger, 'borrowed' from the storage by the training grounds; it danced in sharp circles around her fingers. Round and round. Up, over, down, up again. Spiraling wildly, just like her own thoughts.

A party. How did one arrange a party, again? There ought to be music, probably. And some food. Not everyone in the Grounds was Ascended yet, so food was a must. Drink, too. Not that she could enjoy it anymore - probably a good thing. It was Sunjata's habit to drown his misery in booze, not hers.

The dagger flashed out, furiously slashing off the burning orange of a flower from its stem.

The Flood still invaded her thoughts. Despite every attempt to banish him from there forever.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I can give you freedom from your guilt with a flick of my wrist
Nephele is not bound to a singular place any longer, freed of both title and responsibility. The war bears down closer and closer, and still she writhes and burns with the need to do more. Ever since she lost her twin she has been unmoored, lost in this world, dancing along the thin line of fate that will someday deliver her to Mort’s arms. Even the Draig had refused to take her. And so she has lived, angry and resentful, barely living at all. Trying to take down as many of her enemies as she can before she is inevitably culled herself. And only then will she be at peace.

Mourn is an appropriate place when she misses her sister. What she isn’t expecting is company - much less one intent on destroying the blossoms spread about the grounds. Frowning and descending, dark rags fluttering, Nephele lands with a soft thump on the grass near the woman. “I do not believe those blossoms are for harvesting for the graves,” her prim and pointedly disappointed voice rises to deliver the words, wings settling at her back.
I can give you death with the look upon my face
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
Turning as a disturbance in wind announced the arrival of another, Maea gave the creature a long look. She was not well accustomed to Fae, but the wings and the lack of stature made it obvious what the woman was. She was even shorter than Maea herself. How novel.

"One flower more or less - what difference does it make." Her tone was flat and unwelcoming. Pale eyes fixed on the dark rags that flowed about the woman's body; widening at first, then narrowing in what might have been recognition or perhaps pain. Or both?

"Where did you get those?" she asked, nodding at the drapes. She turned, the dagger in her hand returning to its restless dance. The lopped off flower crunched softly as it was crushed beneath her foot. Flowers was the last thing on her mind, these days.
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
The unwelcoming tone does not dissuade the scientist. She could care less as to the status of her acceptance in a given conversation, especially with someone whose back is bare and wingless. But as the woman turns, and her eyes alight upon the rags Nephele wears, so too do the Fae’s find the fangs in the woman’s mouth as she speaks. Her own curls in immediate, fierce disgust, hatred deeply sowed in the lines of her pretty face.

“One could say the same of other things - at least the flower is natural unlike you,” she spits like a venomous snake, eyes narrow slits of amber. The cloth around her flutters as she pulls it to her chest, possessive. “Somewhere you can never acquire them,” is pointedly lobbed back, unaware of the history the Ascended woman has with Ludo. Though if she had, she likely would have been even crueler in her words, so perhaps it’s for the best.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Never before had anyone looked at her like that. Not even on the worst days back in the Grounds, before the world changed and she still remained a useless child with no future. Such disgust... such hatred from a stranger she had never laid eyes on before. It hurt, more than Maea would have thought, and brought into perspective how Amun must have felt, once upon a time, when they first met. She had been afraid of him, then, simply because of what he was.

Had she changed, over the years? Or had there simply been none to scold this winged firecracker, and hold her accountable for her own biases?

The pain made her defensive, and the tone sharper than she really meant it to be. "You have no idea what you're talking about, do you. Those are Ludo's rags, aren't they? Then you must have gotten them after me, little Fae. How nice for you, to so generously be given hand-me-downs." Jealousy was a roiling pit in her stomach, bubbling and seething, fed by insecurity. How soon had she been replaced? Had Ludo ever cared...?

It was pointless. It didn't matter. It was too late.

Her hand flashed out, and another flower was cut from its stem. Steel glittered in her hand, and she twirled the dagger between pale fingers. She wanted to leave. She wanted to stay. She wanted to rip that shawl from the sneering woman's shoulders and wrap herself up in the comfortable darkness, and pretend she never left Halo to go on a stupid whale hunt.
A whisper within a sigh
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Whether she meant her tone to be sharp or not, the fire in the diminutive woman is better than Nephele had seen in the others she’d felled and harmed alike. Her own fire - draconic, intentional in contrast to Maea’s - rises to consume her insides. “Hand-me-downs? Don’t make me laugh, child,” her teeth gleam like a starving wolf’s maw as she snarls, more threat than smile and with decades of anger hiding in the shadows of it, “you threw Ludo’s gift in its face. You spat on every boon and bounty the second you sold your soul to the Pretender. You disgust me. You disgust Ludo. You were never fit to wear its rags, and I should pluck your eyes from your skull for daring to gaze upon them again after you threw away everything it gave you.” Her words strike like steel upon an anvil, never missing its target. Her tiny frame vibrates with the weight of her prejudice.

Advancing a few steps, she lets her chakrams fall from her elbows to her palms in a practiced move. “Ludo granted me both of these the day it set me on my mission to stop the spreading plague of your kind. Was it intentional, you think?” Now her voice becomes a croon of sadism. Mockingly kind. “Perhaps it adorned me knowing we would meet, hoping it would hurt all the more - maybe it’s a sign that it has forsaken you.” Her eyes narrow cruelly, hoping each word is a twist of the metaphorical dagger.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea bristled, unable to hide the way her lips twitched with every cutting remark. This woman's disgust didn't move her in the slightest - no, it was the notion that she had let Ludo down that stung. That burned and ate at her, re-opening wounds that only just had begun to scab over.

"I died with that shawl about my shoulders," she retorted, and flinched at how broken her own voice sounded. Nephele approached; Maea took a step back. Electricity flickered into life on her palms, defensive and more instinct than clear thought. "I served Ludo and Mort to my last breath. I would never dishonor..." But the words ended in a painful rush of air. Broke off and faded, never to return.

Because she had, hadn't she? By leaving the realm of the dead. By answering the siren call, and crossing the threshold. Remi was right. She shouldn't be. Neither as ghost, or as she was now.

So why did it hurt? Why did her thoughts go to her brother's look of worry and anger, before ever touching on some ghostly rags, or the semblance of a God she could not recall - if she had ever truly seen it.

Confused, trapped within the turmoil of her own mind, Maea stood frozen in place. The electricity flickered and died out around her fingers. She ought to just... leave.
A whisper within a sigh
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
The electricity in the woman’s hands is like blood in the water to Nephele. Is it not the closest? The woman cannot bleed after all. She knows now she has found the wound in the beast’s flesh, and so she sinks her fingers into the open wound and digs.

“‘Until your last breath’,” she simpers in chorusing echo, face empathetic - until it is hard and cutting, unforgiving and cruel as her glass-encrusted grin slowly blossoms, “but you don’t breathe anymore, do you child?” Advancing further like a hunting dog, her fingers flex around the chakrams in her hands. “Whatever you are now, each second you spend blighting this earth is a mockery of the faith you once had. And even when you die - when you are extinguished or dismantled like the construct you are - you will earn no. Forgiveness. The words are spat hatefully, and then she lunges - one chakram sweeping in a graceful arc aimed from Maea’s hip to her shoulder.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Mesmerized in the worst possible way. Trapped by the viper's poison tongue, Maea didn't realize the danger until it was almost too late. When the woman struck at her with metal glinting in her hand the young Ascended staggered back, almost tripping over her own feet to avoid the cut. A hum of heat in the air made her recoil even faster, snapped out of her spiraling thoughts by instinctual panic.

The circuits in her palms closed again, and as the electrical current erupted into a ray of pulsating energy she leveled it at Nephele. To make her stop, slow down - give Maea time to think.

"Why are you so cruel?" she gasped, half choking on air she didn't even need. "I have done nothing to you - why do you attack me!?"

A part of her wondered if this wasn't justice, after all. A herding call beckoning her to return home, back to where she belonged. But Remi hadn't ended her, and when he had not seen fit to do so, who was this winged snake to make that call? The part of her that didn't weep was quietly seething, gritting teeth in pent of anger - why was it that no one would give her a fucking break? First Sunjata and the way he blamed her for dying, like it had been a choice. Then Remi, judging without knowing a thing of who she was. Now this? Why was it so hard to just leave her to her own devices?

Her hand tightened around the dagger.
A whisper within a sigh
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
The evasion only heightens the sting of acid in her blood, waving a flag before the eyes of an enraged bull. But Maea is not the only one light on her feet, so although the woman’s foul magic scalds her shoulder, Nephele uses the momentum to spin in a full circle and uses her undamaged arm to cut at Maea again. Teeth gritted against the electric burn that makes her muscles spasm.

“You let yourself be turned by the foul creature that tried to kill our Mother Tree! That killed my people and desecrated our lands with blight and sickness! The blood on her hands is now on yours! she howls, furious. Diving closer instead of away from the pain. For what is pain of the flesh when compared to all Nephele has lost at the hands of the Ascended and their ilk? “You have desecrated Mort’s realm, and you will continue to do so with every moment you pretend to live!”
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
The Fae lashed out again, and Maea kept backing up. Somehow she was able to block the strike with her dagger, and the sound of metal grating against metal made her shudder. The force of the attack twisted her wrist and though there was no pain, a warning flared from the joint. Not a good practice, to parry with a weapon not designed for it. She aimed another eruption of electricity at the Fae, aiming for the legs.

A foul taste curdled in her mouth, all imaginary and all over what Nephele hurled at her of accusations. "I'm sorry for what happened to your people," she said, throwing a glance behind her to see if there was something to use for cover. But all she found was meandering paths and verdant flowerbeds. "It was horribly wrong, and you have every right to be angry. But I wasn't there. I didn't hurt you!"

She tried to back off far enough to get a moment, to engage her upgrade and teleport away. But the Fae was quick and it was difficult enough to just keep dodging.
A whisper within a sigh
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Her wings aid her in evading the attack on her legs, though it’s entirely unintentional. All she desires is the height required to take the Ascended’s head from her shoulders. The fury in her heart burns hotter tonight, scalding the edges of her entire being until they begin to darken and flake into ash. She is hardly a woman considering the length of her lifespan, and already she is so very tired.

The protestations twist the Fae’s mouth into a deeper grimace of disgust. Pressing forward inexorably, refusing to let the Ascended out of her range as she jumps and beats her wings, aiming a hard kick to the woman’s solar plexus to try and kick her down. “If you are so regretful then why did you turn to them?! Your actions are the basis of judgment, not whatever lies you choose to say to comfort yourself!” Slashing out with her other chakram, frustrated at her inability to land a true blow, Nephele lets the poison inside twist up and out over her tongue, hoping as it burns her to nothing that she’ll take someone down with her.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
The Fae took to the sky, evading the electricity. For a moment, Maea hoped that would be it. But no - the woman was relentless and kept pursuing. A blur of motion too fast for the agitated Ascended to comprehend saw a pair of boots planted firmly in her gut, and with a wheeze she was knocked hard to the ground. Only just in time was she able to twist aside and avoid the burning blades; fear bubbled up inside at the thought of those edges coming anywhere near her.

Maea tried to kick back at the figure hovering above her, desperation making her movements erratic and sloppy. "I - I - I loved a man!" came her stammered response, like a confession whimpered out under some torturers blade. And it felt like it, to be so cut into by the fae's vicious words. It was worse than the violence, worse than the helpless frustration of not being allowed to remove herself from the conflict. "I loved someone more than the gods, and I went back because... because I thought anything would be worth it as long as I had him."

Moisture rimmed her eyes, pearlescent and eerie in its unnatural sheen. "Joke's on me, he had already moved on... So go ahead. Laugh. Say whatever. You're not telling me anything I haven't already told myself a hundred times. Does that make you happy to hear?"

Flowers snapped and crushed beneath her as she pushed back, still on the ground and desperately trying to placate her aggressor even as she sought a moment to rise, to activate her upgrades. The woman was too close, though; and the odd daggers in her hands meant that a single moment of distraction might be the last.
A whisper within a sigh
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
The desperate story is practically shouted, and Nephele hovers with her wings beating faster than a hummingbird’s, elevated above the woman as the words flow around her. Expression growing darker with each pathetic excuse and explanation. “For love? For a man?” Her voice is dangerously quiet and calm, but her hands shake around her chakrams.

“My twin is dead because of The Voice and her creations. And you think you’re suffering?” Her voice slowly twists and climbs like poisonous vines, louder and more pointed. “You think you know heartache? You truly believe you know what it’s really like to love someone more than the Gods themselves?” Vibrating with her rage, the Meadowhawk doesn’t even realize tears are spilling over her cheeks, teeth bared like a feral dog. “You know nothing of love! You are barely more than a child, throwing every gift away for a flight of fancy that didn’t want you back! My people and my sister are dead and you have padded the ranks of their murderer because of a CRUSH!” Her illusory magic comes to the fore at her command, mimicking the faint screams of her kin all around like a judgmental choir. She doesn’t attack - hovering there instead like an avenging angel, wanting to see exactly what the Ascended would say or do - how she would attempt to defend herself - before she sought the killing blow.