up above the world so high
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The Nightshade doesn't think she's ever been this high up before. Not even when she's ridden on the Ronin's cloud or Sunjata's back in his dragon shift. Her hands tremble, pulse thundering in her ears as she carefully follows the path along the cliffs, Aidon circling over the edge without a care in the world. He trills excitedly as another burst of warm air pushes his higher and Maeve huffs, "No need to rub it in." Her voice carrying and echoing off of the stone.

Finally she comes to a stop at a spot that offers an uninterrupted view of the night sky. While she doesn't dare get any close to the edge, Maeve settles herself against the cliff, back pressing into the cool stone. She wishes Edmund could see this. He would love it. With the wards still in place, however, it just wasn't possible. Her lips purse in thought even as her eyes drift towards the heavens.
Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips
We should just kiss like real people do
Mordecai Letto

Age: 16 | Height: 5"1 (~155cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 1 - Int:
Played by: Malediction Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Mordecai Letto
Quiet as a fox, Mordecai slipped out of a side entrance leading into Mother Molly’s and left his small, dusty room behind him. The inhabitants of the brothel were rarely in the habit of sleeping at night and for once, he was no exception. It was only because they were all at work that he was able to sneak off at all. There was no doubt in his mind that all of his many doting guardians would’ve pulled him back inside by his ear if they ever caught wind of his nocturnal detours.

There was no real purpose to them, no more than to simply stretch his legs and clear his mind. As if they’d ever believe that. He couldn’t fault them. Almost everything he did for the ladies of the night was veiled in secrecy to some degree, why should his own night-time strolls be any exception?

He quietly  weaved his way through a thicket of eager visitors queuing up at the night-time establishment, then hastened his pace a little until the murmuring of the nightlife was well behind him. Dead leaves crunched underfoot when he departed the main road in favor of dry, winding paths snaking up the cliff side.  He might not have a particular destination in mind, but he had the wit to stay off the streets at this hour.

While his mind drifted aimlessly between thoughts, his legs carried him up the treacherous, dry path. The air was cooler here, the wind carried the briny smell of the water below and tossed his hair about. He regretted not having dressed warmer. The long sleeves of his shirt offered little protection against the elements, and the three-quarter trousers that had suited him fine earlier in the day were far too optimistic for the climb. Still, he walked on and silently relished in his ill-begotten freedom.

It wasn’t until the road inclined steeply upward that he paid a little more attention to where he was putting his feet. It never ceased to amaze him how star and moonlight alone proved ample illumination and guidance on a clear night like this.

What amazed him more was the silhouette of a lone figure resting against the rock, just up ahead. With a scuff of his boots he came to a halt and squinted. She seemed familiar, but it was too dark to make out her features from this far. Perhaps he ought to turn back.

Afraid of a shadow?. The figure was only a little taller than himself and seemed more concerned with the sky than him. Once he’d swallowed away his doubts, he approached with cautious steps.

”Hello?”. It came out sounding gruff and lame. He was close enough now to make out her face, close enough to recognize who she was. His heart sank to his stomach, before deciding to plummet all the way down to his feet. Just his luck to stumble across the Queen of Torchline!

Their gazes had crossed before whenever she had visited Mother Molly's, though her green eyes had only ever flitted across his face. He blended in pretty well with the wallpaper and the furniture and had never been dumb enough to stare sheepishly at the Queen.

Mordecai cleared his throat, then retreated a pace and dipped his head in apology. "I'm sorry, I didn't know... he was about to turn on his heel and take his leave before the Queen decided she didn't like the way he'd gawked at her and tossed him off the cliffs.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Aidon trills above her, dipping and diving in the night, the black outline of his silhouette blotting out the stars as he soars over the cliffs edge. All she could do is smile as she watches her companion play amongst the stars. Her arms draw the light coat she's wearing more tightly around her form, jade eyes tracking his movements until she hears the tell-tale scuff of boots, rocks clattering against the stone walkway. She doesn't bother turning her head, not when Aidon gives her a clear flash of the slip of a boy picking his way along the path, hands tucked into his armpits.

His voice carries on the wind and the Nightshade finally shifts her eyes to him, head tilting to the side curiously, "Good evening, dear." She murmurs, accent soft and lilting, giving her words a musical quality as she regards him. A smile twitches on her lips, tugging at the corners, drawing them up as she regards him. He's only a bit older than her own son and she can't help the motherly instinct that has her shrugging off her coat as she stands. "It's very pretty, but perhaps a bit cold to be out without a coat, hm?"

A dark brow arches and she beckons for him to come closer so she might drape the coat around his slender shoulders, "Do the girls know you're out, Mordecai?" Her tone isn't accusatory, but there is a knowing glint in her eyes as she regards him. Of course Maeve knew who he was. There was very little that went on inside those types of establishments that Maeve didn't know about in at least passing.
Mordecai Letto

Age: 16 | Height: 5"1 (~155cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mordecai Letto
He froze on the spot, opened and closed his mouth a few times like a fish washed ashore before his jaw ultimately snapped shut. What was there to say? To his horror he wasn’t sure if it was ruder to talk or to say nothing and it wasn’t until Maeve beckoned him closer that he eased up a little.

The coat fitted his frame about as well as a scarecrow and the effect was worsened by how he hunched his bony shoulders together. There was a hint of gratitude in his eyes, but his pride prevented him from admitting that he’d been cold at all.

He’d been a fool. A blind, deaf fool. Now that he was standing still and not lost in thought it was hard to miss the winged shadow overhead. He wondered if he had mistaken the wind for the beating of its wings. The queen seemed unfazed by the creature so he said nothing of it when he tore his wide-eyed gaze back down from the beast to meet hers.

”The girls?”, he squeaked.

She knows my name…

But how?

And how did she know he was fond of the Mireshire twins that lived just across the street from Molly’s? They were about his age and he couldn’t phantom why she wanted to know about the-

Oh

Those girls.

Of course she’d meant the working girls, the ones that clothed and fed him and fretted over his hair that never stayed down. He bit down on his lower lip before he shook his head, ever so slightly. ”No…” he admitted. At least he was certain that it would be deeply unwise to lie to someone like Queen Maeve. ”They would just be needlessly worried about me, he added with a quick shrug. ”It’s not like you run into dragons the minute you step outdoors”. The grin that tugged at the corners of his mouth only showed for a moment. ”Is that… is that your dragon?” he ventured to ask, his voice laced with awe.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The Nightshade had to bite back her laugh as he looks at her, mouth opening and closing as he gaped at her, eyes wide with surprise at being spoken to. He reminded her of Edmund. The similarities so startling that she might have mistook him if she didn't know for a fact that he was back in Torchline, tucked safely into bed, having a sleepover with his cousin Paige. Her son couldn't come here. Not if she wanted him alive.

At his squeaked out response, the Queen did chuckle at this, a soft smile on her lips as she clasps the front button of the jacket. It swims on him, swallowing up his form like it was nothing, "I figured as much. You know, it's not very safe to sneak off right now." She reminded him gently, giving him a firm look as she took in his tattered appearance. "You're not telling me you already forgot about the attack on the Tower, are you?" It hadn't been all that long ago since the Ascended attacked the Tower, causing it to fall and the lives of those in Stormbreak to be turned upside down.

With an arched brow and a cocked head, Maeve hummed, turning to follow his gaze before she nodded. "It is. Aidon, viens ici s'il te plait." She called out into the night, watching as the large dragon banked sharply, diving towards the cliffs' edge. He flapped his wings, stirring up dust and loose pebbles, finally settling onto his feet. With a trill he trotted forward, practically as tall as the boy, blowing a bit of smoke from his nostrils. He leaned forward, orange eyes glowing as he looked at the boy curiously.
Mordecai Letto

Change author:
Mordecai Letto
”Of course not,” Mordecai scoffed and almost sounded indignant. How could anyone forget such a thing? Quick to realise his mistake, his frame retreated a little further into the warmth of the coat before he swallowed hard. “...sorry, your highness,” he added feebly. He had little experience being around Important People other than taking their coats when they came to Molly’s to indulge their passions or to lighten the burden of their gold and silver when the opportunity presented itself.

The people he surrounded himself with were simple, direct, cursed or blessed with rough tongues and rough habits. It hadn’t always been like that. Not every memory of his life before he’d come to Stormbreak had slipped through his fingers just yet and he had not yet betrayed all the virtues his parents had attempted to instil in him.

”I can take care of myself,” he answered with a quick bob of his shoulders, quick and easy as breathing. ”I’d say…” he hesitated for a moment, ”I’d say it’s more dangerous for a Queen to be out on her own than someone like me. There’s many more like me than there are of you.”

Easing up a little he regarded Maeve for a moment. Even in the semi-dark of the clear night sky the shock of green in her eyes was arresting. She was young, he realised, younger than he had thought, and only a little taller than himself, but paler too. Perhaps it was a childish notion to think of Kings and Queens as old and wise, he had never given it much thought before.

His musings were rudely interrupted by the swift descent of the dragon. The dust blinded Mordecai for a moment while he stumbled backward, near tripping over his own feet. ”N-nice dragon…easy now…” he stepped back a pace while the acrid smoke tickled the back of  his throat. He had no illusion that keeping his outstretched arms between himself and death with wings would do anything to stop Aidon from ripping them off, but he held them out anyway. Every god-given instinct told him to retreat, to turn and run, but he overruled them with sheer determination. The last time he’d turned his back on the maws of death it had taken everything from him, he would not make that mistake again.

Gritting his teeth, he stood his ground. Hot blood rushed through his veins, his legs twitched in a stopped reflex to run. While his world was reduced to a dark tunnel with two foreboding, glowing eyes and sharp teeth at the end of it, he stood his ground until the only thing betraying his fear was the slight quiver in his voice. ”He isn’t hungry, is he?”
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve has to bite back the laugh that threatens to push past her lips as Mordecai defends his actions. The Nightshade gives him a look as he apologizes, arching a dark brow before her expression softens again, shaking her head at him. "It's alright. You just need to be careful. The wards here don't keep out Ascended the way they do Abandoned." And it was hard to tell who was one and who wasn't. Especially when they didn't want you to know.

This does make Maeve laugh, bright and melodic, jade eyes sparking as she regards him. "Isn't that sweet. Concerned for my safety, are you?" She teases, giving him a little poke to his side, playfully tickling his ribs. "I assure you I can take care of myself. Anyone would be rather stupid to cross me." The queen might look unassuming. With her slender frame and delicate features, but much like her name, the Nightshade possessed qualities more dangerous than anyone might realize.

Aidon trills softly at the child's words, head tilting to the side curiously as he studies this boy who looks so much like his bonded's kin, but doesn't carry their scent. He crane his neck forward, snuffling at his chest and hair, breathing in the new scent gently. Despite his size, Aidon doesn't put any force behind his motions. "No, he ate this afternoon."

Maeve smiles, shaking her head, "He might look dangerous, but he's rather sweet. I promise he won't hurt you." Not unless the boy did something to warrant it and even then, Maeve doubts that Aidon would actually leave him with a serious injury.

Pushing to her feet, the Nightshade gives the boy one more look, head tilting to the side as she does so. "You should get back, dear. It's late and there are people who are no where near as kind as I am out." She reminds him, whistling for Aidon as she sets back off the path, taking one more look at the stars.

They were lovely, but none of them spoke to her. Not here. She'd have to try somewhere else.

~FIN <3~