I must be good for something
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
Down and out, and out of luck, we're spinning but the needle's stuck
The echo of their footsteps bounced between high stone walls and lingered among the hidden rafters. Row upon row of shelves filled with knowledge spread out all around, and it had once been her dream to read it all. To learn every language and lost letter system, to understand the world of the past in an intimate way. As a child, she had slipped inside the Atheneum on hot and sunny days to lie among this wealth of treasure, sunburned cheek pressed against the cool stone floor while she dreamed of legends, myth and adventure.

Back then, she didn't know about the secret shrine. It had come as a surprise to her, to find it hidden in plain sight, and for a long time it bothered her to think that it sat there. Right at the center of her haven. This time, it was simply the closest shrine she could think of where a conversation might be held entirely in private. At this hour the halls lay dark and quiet, abandoned by visitors - save for herself and Amun.

Upon finding the right shelf, Maea pulled it open and took a step back. Fumbling for Amun's hand, she tried her best not to let her misgivings show as she took in the obsidian sphere and the dusty objects. His presence was truly the only reason why she hadn't turned around and left a hundred times over.

It didn't matter much that this was her own choice. She was still scared.  

"I don't know what to say," she admitted nervously, voice a mere hush so that the echo of it wouldn't spread.
Maea
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
if I ever start to think straight
Amun trailed behind Maea. Fingers tracing the spines of the books as they strolled past them, he followed her to the shrine tucked away in the corner of the Atheneum. Taking her hand as they entered the hidden room, he gave it a squeeze. With his free hand, he slipped his fingers into his pocket and pulled out a small metal sculpture. It was a man and a woman, her in silver him in copper, standing back to back and he rather fancied he'd done a good job making it represent the two of them.

Although the Voice didn't require gifts as much as the other gods did, she still appreciated them. He placed it on the altar before giving his fellow Ascended a nod. "You don't really need to say anything. She knows what's in your heart and mind."

Still, he cleared his throat. "I hope you are well, the Voice. Maea is here to ask for your blessing and maybe your help. And I'm here for moral support." Releasing Maea's hand, he placed it in the small of her back.
this heart will start a riot in me
Amun
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"That's part of what scares me." She tried to smile, but it was a feeble thing, quick to arrive and soon gone again. Her gaze came to rest on the little figurine Amun placed at the shrine. It was beautiful. Exquisite in its detail, and beyond moving in what it represented. A phantom ache bled warmth into her chest, reaffirming her reasons for changing her mind on coming here.

Her own hands were empty; she didn't know what to bring any more than she knew what to say, because this goddess was still one she didn't know. Hadn't cared to try befriending. Wouldn't have even considered approaching, if not for Amun's gentle insistence.

Maea ran a tongue over her lips, viper quick and teetering. Then she hissed out a sigh in annoyance at herself, and fixed her eyes on the shrine. Focus.

"Hello, Voice. If you have a moment... I'd like to a chance to speak with you." The hand at her back was a bedrock of support. She leaned back slightly, accepting the comfort that spread from it.
Maea
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"She hates this shrine, you know." Comes a small and mischievous voice, like the sort of cadence one might ascribe when voicing a mouse.

'You know? Who knows?' A different voice replies in a mocking sing-song voice.

'You know, you know, you know!' The first voice replies with a bought of laughter.
Coding base by Sky!

Maea Valair

Change author:
Relief battled disappointment when nothing happened, and turned into something more like unease when the tiny voice spoke up. Maea looked around to see if she could spot the owner of it, when another joined in.

Oh, lovely. Spirits.

"I am sorry, I did not know that," she replied. Glancing back at Amun, she raised an querying eyebrow at him; had he known this?

"Could you perhaps be so kind as to tell me, which shrine The Voice would prefer instead?" She did her best to be impeccably polite, and returned her attention towards... well, the shrine, probably. Or the air around it. The voices, for sure.
Maea
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Pressing his hand slightly harder into Maea's back, Amun's eyes narrowed. When she spoke up, he cleared his throat and shook his head. "Nor did I." She asked the question on his mind as well, and he glanced around them, looking for some source of the voices. "We're sorry to bother her and you," he tacked on to the end of her words.

Inclining his head towards the shrine, he pointed at the offering he'd brought. "Feel free to accept my statue, if it pleases you." Grinning, he scooted a little closer to Maea so their sides were pressed together. With that he fell silent and waited to see if any answers would be forthcoming.
Amun

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Tear this place down, she says!" Voice one chitters.

"Yeah! Down, down!" The other agrees.

"Old gods can come here too." The first voice adds with a clear note of disdain.

"Two who?" Wonders the second voice, before falling silent.
Coding base by Sky!

Maea Valair

Change author:
Tear it down!? Maea stood frozen in mute shock. Amun's presence beside her was a rock of comfort, and she leaned subtly into him as her thoughts spun. A shrine that Old gods and The Voice all could come to -

"Just to clarify. Is it the Temple shrine that she wishes to be torn down? Not this shrine here, in the Atheneum? Forgive me if I am mistaken, I simply want to make sure I understand."

It was a mind-boggling request all the same. To tear down a shrine, especially when there would be angry gods retaliating, was fraught with dangers she couldn't even begin to comprehend. Perhaps Amun might... given his close and personal view when Ronin attempted to do just that.

"If that is what she wishes, it will be done, of course." Gods, what was she agreeing to...? But there was no way to say no. Was there? Maea shot her brother another glance, a troubled look in her eyes.
Maea
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
"Maea--" Amun blurted out, but she'd already asked her question. Slamming his mouth shut, he just moved his arm to give her shoulder a squeeze. Resting his hand there, he sighed. "May we ask who we are speaking to?" He smiled at the shrine, though there was a tightness around his eyes.

Bumping her hip with his own, he gave his head the minutest of shakes that he could pull off when he saw her looking his way. "We appreciate your insight, and will think on what you've said. However, we don't wish to take up too much of your time." He inclined his head to the shrine.
Amun

Change author:

'Tear it down, tear it down!' From outside, a book is thrown off the shelf.

'Goodbye, shrine!' Another book falls. 'Goodbye to all the shrines!' Now, an entire shelf of books is threatening to collapse, with books spilling off the end.

'NO SHRINES' The voices chant in unison. 'DOWN, DOWN, DOWN!' And so falls the shelf.
Coding base by Sky!

Maea Valair

Change author:
His warning came too late. With a sinking feeling Maea wondered exactly how deep this pit would be that she had plunged herself in by speaking too quickly. She closed her mouth tight, warned by Amun's nudge and the arm about her shoulders -

A book fell. The slam as it hit the floor echoed through the room and caused Maea to flinch. The spirits were growing more agitated, and with mounting horror she saw the shelves around them teeter and topple, books spilling out in a crescendo of sound.

She began to push at Amun, nudging him to exit the alcove.

"I hear you. Thank you for - RUN!" The cry aimed at Amun, though he hardly needed the warning.

The shelf came toppling towards them. With books falling around her, Maea threw her arms up over the head and ran away from the heavy wooden structure, hoping and praying they would make it out in one piece.
Maea
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Placing both hands on Maea's shoulders, Amun winced as the spirits grew more agitated. As the books started falling, followed by the shelf, he practically spun around shoved her towards the door. "We understand!" he shouted to the upset beings.

In a quieter and more directed tone, he spoke to his sister. "Get out of here now." Hopefully she'd listen to him this time. Still pushing her forwards, he activated his phasing upgrade, though he kept his hands and lower arms tangible to keep her moving. At least the rest of his body should be safe from the debris, though he headed towards the exit himself.
Amun

Change author:

Laughter accompanies the falling of books, the sound like arrows shooting through a fairground.

'Run, run!' One voice cheese merrily.

'Fun, fun!' The other chimes, as the spines of books are broken and pages are torn apart.

The RE will not post again.
Coding base by Sky!

Maea Valair

Change author:
Hilarious, really. What a giggle. Maea would have stayed to enjoy the joke, but alas her brother was telling her to get out, and so she had no choice but to comply. Yes, a wonderful narrative.

Except he didn't have to tell her twice. Wise from the last time they were forced on the run, Maea didn't argue with Amun this time. She ducked  away from a heavy tome, activated her upgrade and disappeared -

- and made several people jump in surprise when she appeared outside the Temple, a little wild eyed and frazzled looking. Immediately she hurried up to the building, scanning the sparse crowd going in and out to see if Amun too had made it out safely.
Maea