there's something braver
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
MAEA
A bright full moon drained the color from the last remnants of floral splendor, yet the peace that lingered over the meadow was profound enough that it reached even her. On quiet feet Maea slipped through the dew-damp grass, soaked to the thighs and heedless of discomfort. Her eyes were focused on a small figure huddled near a burrow up ahead, and her movements were stealthy. Quiet was easy when breath was no necessity, when no discomfort would distract from the task of placing one foot before the other in slow, balanced intent. Only a lack of patience might ruin this. And somehow, in the midst of this pointless, just-for-shits game of catch-the-rabbit, a fragile sort of stillness found its home within her soul.

The dried up remnants of some starchy plant now toppled let off a crisp crunch when she stepped on it. The blink-hare tensed, Maea froze. She watched as the fuzzy animal raised a long neck high and watched with twitching nose for any dangers in the surroundings. Strange. Anywhere else, a rabbit might have bolted already at such a provocation, but not this one. Not here.

Moments dragged by. The hare blinked, and settled down again. She commenced her stalking. Until, with a sudden leap, she lunged forth with outstretched hands, grunting as she landed on her stomach and seized the rabbit.

Or at least she thought she did. Only, it vanished from between her hands with a pop and appeared a distance up ahead, now running at full tilt. Maea blew strands of wet grass from her lips and watched glumly as it ran and popped, ran and popped away. No way she was catching up to it now. Even with her upgrade.

"The rabbits in the Grounds don't do that," she mumbled, a sidelong glance turning towards Amun. A tad defensive - she had a feeling he might be laughing at her.
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
full moon rising on the waters of my soul
Amun was sprawled out in a flowerbed during the hunt. Eyes tracking Maea as she stalked the rabbit, he arched an eyebrow when she leapt--and the hare promptly disappeared. Smiling, he rolled to his feet and walked towards her. "You do. So does Wessex. I guess so do I these days, when I remember." Reaching out, he booped her in the nose.

Turning, he gestured at the meadow they'd found themselves in. "This is very nice. Especially for the Barrows" His gaze slid to her. "I probably shouldn't tell this to you, but last time I was out here I managed to piss off a ghost and get trapped in a burial chamber." He chuckled.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Huffing a quiet laugh, she rolled up and sat cross legged on the ground. Bits of grass and fragile flower petals fell off her clothes, and the rest was brushed off with a few casual passes of her hands. "True. You should probably try a little harder to remember," she suggested, allowing the nudge of her nose without comment. A gesture both familiar and affectionate - something only her brother was allowed to do. "It's more convenient than running." And she wouldn't have to worry about leaving him behind like that, either.

The mention of ghosts made her perk up. "Oh, really! What happened?" She was hardly spooked by ghosts, but it wasn't as usual a thing as one might guess either. "Were you alright...? I know how you feel about tight spaces." Concern warmed her eyes as she looked up at him, and she reached for his hand, to tug him back down into the grass.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Watching her as she settled to the ground, Amun narrowed his eyes at her. "When you get to be my age, we'll see how good your memory is," he teased. Letting out a chuckle, he started plucking blooms from the earth. Once he had a small pile in his hands, he began to weave them together. "Running has a certain flair to it, though."

Glancing up, he arched an eyebrow. For a moment, he activated his phasing upgrade. Walking a short distance away, strolled through a rock. "I can walk through walls, remember? I'm okay." He grinned at her. Picking up a flower, he tucked it behind her ear, then let himself be pulled into a seat across from her.

As he sat, Zhanshi poked his head out from the ground. The potter stroked the landshark, who nibbled at Amun's fingers before tunneling over to Maea. "I saw a door and decided to see what in the world it was doing there. Turns out, it was a tomb, and despite my best efforts to be respectful, something slammed the door shut behind me."
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"And how old is that, exactly? If I recall, appearances are deceiving in your case." It was undeniable that he had a head-start over her in any case. "Will our memories even degrade like they do in others? I don't know how it works anymore."

Touching the flower he placed in her hair with careful fingertips, Maea's smile widened. "Thank you."

Zhanshi's path towards her was marked by rising soil and toppled flowers. When the tilling earth reached her feet, Maea pulled them up, rocking backwards a little to see where the landshark would appear - if it even would.

"My, that's rude. What did you do? Was there anything interesting inside?" The story was unfolding in a most pleasing way, and it was clear she enjoyed the telling of it.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun smirked at Maea's question. Fingers still weaving the stems of the flowers together, he winked at her. "It's a hard question to answer. Even if it wasn't rude to ask a person's age." Sticking out his tongue, he grinned. "In this body, I'm a little under forty years of age. Probably. But I lived multiple lifetimes before this one and I remember varying amounts of those past lives."

Just as Zhanshi's passage reached Maea, it disappeared. The little landshark circled partially around her before erupting to her left. Flying in a circle around her, the potter's companion rubbed against her shoulder.

Snorting at Zhanshi's antics, Amun shrugged. "Nothing of interest to anyone but historians, I'm afraid. Some buried goods that had long since rotted to nothing. There was a central plinth with a sarcophagus on it though." He paused to see if she had any questions.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"It's only rude if you're going to judge the person based on their age, after asking for it," she returned with a cheeky smile, "and I already judge you based on so much more than that. " It boggled her mind to think of living more than one life, and to remember even a fraction of them. How many layers of experience did this man even possess? Leaning back on her elbows, she elaborated; "Your kindness and patience, for example. How stubborn you can be. And how you're very good at hiding your true emotions behind smiles and witty remarks." The occasional seriousness, that always made her listen a bit more carefully. And the far rarer moments of exerted authority, that she still hadn't quite come to terms with, or knew how to respond to. She wasn't used to having anyone tell her what to do anymore.

The ground stilled. Maea braced herself, and laughed as she was sprayed with dirt and debris as the landshark appeared at her side. She reached up and touched the sides of the creature, taken aback by its affectionate gesture. But it softened her expression, as phantom warmth flooded her chest.  

"Hm, I see. Did you... look into the sacrophagus?" Some might respect that kind of thing, while others wouldn't hesitate to disturb the rest of the dead in search of treasure. And on occasion, simple curiosity had its place. Her gaze held no judgement on whichever path he might have chosen, only curiosity.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun narrowed his eyes at Maea. Pouting, he sighed, though he was sure to shoot a wink her way as well. "Everyone's a critic," he teased. As she went on to compliment him, though, he rolled his eyes. "The smiles and witty remarks are also true. It's not my fault I'm more than just a pretty face." He waggled his eyebrows.

Chuckling at Zhanshi, the potter kept up his efforts with the flowers. The landshark brushed against her before diving underground and heading in the direction of the hare that had fled. "Of course I did," Amun responded. "I wasn't going to desecrate it or anything, I just wanted to learn more about the people who built it." Shaking his head, he snorted. "That's when they slammed the door on me."
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"And such a pretty face too! I always knew I liked you for a reason." Teasing back came easier, with practice. Everything was easier. Even a simple thing like reaching for his hand had been a hurdle to overcome, yet slowly the ice within her had begun to thaw.

Shifting around so that she could stretch out on her belly in the grass, Maea watched her brother weave the flowers together. Chin in hand, she kept guessing to herself what it might become. A wreath? A bouquet? A garland to hang about his neck? She would never cease to admire his skill at making things.

"Of course," she repeated with dry humor. "And did you learn anything? I suppose the resident wouldn't have much to say, even if they hadn't been so grumpy about the visit."

Plucking with some strands of grass, she chewed on silence for a moment. Then; "I bumped into Remi, the other day."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Lifting both hands, Amun patted his cheeks. Grinning at Maea, he winked. "I was always good at playing to my strengths," he confirmed with a laugh. As she moved to lay on her stomach, he lifted one of his completed creations. It was a flower crown that he rested on her head.

Going to work on the second one, he grinned. "Nope. Not a thing." Waggling his eyebrows, he cocked his head to the side. "Except that spirits are so dramatic."

As she mentioned the Lullaby, the potter froze. Staring at her, his gaze swept over her entire body. Grimacing, he shook his head. "Considering you're in one piece, he must've been in an excellent mood." Sighing, he rubbed his forehead.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
The flowers weighed more than expected, and took some getting used to. She could feel the florals sway as she dipped her head this way and that to figure out the new balance, and a smile grew slowly from surprise into something radiant.
"Thank you, " she said again, wondering at the catch in her throat. "Now I can be pretty too."

Laughing together was good. Such a pleasant thing, even over such a topic as spirits and empty graves. Maea regretted that her news made Amun's lightness disappear - but it also confirmed the choice she had made. Seeing him stiffen like that, the way he made sure she was okay... It had her dragging herself closer to him, until she could cross her arms over his legs and the weight of herself halfway onto his lap might reassure that she was indeed alright.

"Yes, it looked like it. He thought I was a ghost at first.... it seems he isn't god enough to be beyond mistakes like that." Though she couldn't shake the image of how he burst into flames, or the brief conversation that followed.
"He said... that I should not be." A soft frown lined her forehead. Stealing a few flowers from Amun's pile, she twisted them together. Not as neatly as he, but functionally sound. "It's strange. When I say things like that myself, it seems so true. But when hearing it from another, it – " She broke off. Hadn't realized that the weight in her chest was because of hurt before. "In the moment I even agreed. But now... I don't want to believe him."

How could it be wrong, for her to be right there? Together with her family, just binding flowers under a full moon. Would it have been better, more tolerant if she actually was a ghost? But she wouldn't belong then, either.

She just couldn't win, it seemed.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun grinned at Maea. "You're very welcome." Reaching out, he brushed some hair off her forehead. "You were already very pretty. Just need to update the wardrobe a bit, but you won't let me give you a makeover," he complained. Shooting a wink her way, his grin deepened into a smirk. "The flower crown is my sneaky way of starting that, just so you know."

Letting her  settle in his lap and take a few flowers, he set his own partially finished crown aside. Instead, he began to braid strands of her hair. "He's not a god. Don't forget the demi, part." His nostrils flared and he looked away from her. "You belong. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Reaching out with one hand, he cupped her cheek.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
The compliment actually made her blush a soft silver, her cheeks darkening like shadows cast over porcelain. "I'm just not sure we have the same taste in clothing, is all," she tried, barley holding back laughter at the mischievous look about him. "You often seem to go for such... minimalism." As in, as little clothing as possible. And while that was perfectly acceptable and suited him, Maea just didn't have that kind of grand self-confidence.

Nuzzling her cheek against his palm, Maea nodded. Quiet, not sure her voice would carry. "You... are upset?" she asked quietly, searching for the gaze that wouldn't meet hers. "I'm sorry. I won't leave you, Amun. Not if I have any choice at all in the matter." Her hand came up and cupped his, willing him to believe her.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun narrowed his eyes at Maea. Reaching out, he poked her in the forehead. "Are you doubting my ability to clothe you properly?" Sniffing, he resumed braiding her hair. Shaking his head, he clicked his tongue a few times. "I dress entirely appropriately for whatever situation I find myself in." Indeed, right now he was clothed in a durable shirt and pants in shades of brown and a plain set of boots.

"Of course I'm upset. He could kill you, anyone really, without effort. It's pure luck that he didn't just eradicate you and forget about your existence." He scowled. "Ronin nearly killed me with one attack, and Remi is far stronger."
amun

Coding base by Sky!