Rara Avis
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Online
Change author:
MP: 9667
but now it is a competition of whichever is heavier:
my will, or the pull of gravity into the grave
Atop  the thickly woven branches cresting over into the top of the rose hedges, a large golden falcon sits basking in the weak autumn sunshine. Hotaru has explored nearly every border of Kings End and all within, but the labyrinthine garden reminds her of the Grounds and the squirrels that run amuck within. They are absent here as made clear by the quiet of the morning, uninterrupted by calls to chase and run. A shame. She had quite enjoyed hunting them with Deimos.

It is not something so strong as bloodlust that has her wings emerging as she spirals into the sky. Urges from her animal form, restlessness, whatever it is that motivates her doesn’t require examination. She wants to hunt. So she will hunt.

Hotaru circles lazily overhead, sharp eyes peering down at the gardens, idly searching for movement and life.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Pihu Anjali
Thief

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int: 0
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Pihu

Pihu was on a bit of a scouting mission. One of her acquaintances had regaled her with tales of burial mounds beyond the Hollowed Ground that were just ripe for the picking. It was an opportunity too good for the thief to pick up, but she wanted to confirm it was true, first.

So she'd slipped through the portal. Not wanting to get bogged down with the locals, she'd shifted and taken flight. It was easy enough to find the border of the region, and she flew past it. Below her, the landscape changed from greys and browns to a more vibrant green. She followed the healthier vegetation until she spotted something out of the corner of her eye.

It was a hedge maze, of all things, in the middle of nowhere. She banked towards it, eying the twists and turns. As focused as she was on the maze, she forgot to be as diligent about checking her surroundings.
You're just a trickster
Who lost their way
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Typical prey for a falcon usually involved earthbound critters. Something she could press her weight down upon to help stun and snap the delicate bones and ligaments in to ensure a swift and painless death. That doesn’t mean she is unwilling to get creative of course, but as the dark flighted figure in the sky loops around below, Hotaru debates whether it is worthy prey. It could certainly put up more of a fight, and the Valkyrie is fond of her feathers. Cresting lower, Hotaru turns her head, sharp eyes examining the dark bird closer.

A raven, it seems. Not the Gore Crow she had suspected at first. Duller talons and beak, then. Acceptable prey.

With mind summarily made up, the Valkyrie dives from on high, wings tucked tight in aerodynamic spiral to increase the velocity of her drop. Only as she approaches does she flare her wings in a snap of sound, talons reaching for the raven’s back.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Pihu Anjali
Thief

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Pihu

Eyes trained on the maze below, Pihu was unaware of the danger lurking above. She flew in circles around the hedge maze, gradually making her way from one corner to the other. Glancing back at where she'd started, she could've sworn that the pathways looked different.

However, she didn't have any time to contemplate that. One moment she was pumping her wings. The next, a weight struck her from the sky and talons closed around her. Stunned, she felt herself plummeting to the ground, all the strength knocked out of her. Panic flooded her mind and exploded out of her as she tried and failed to get control of her body.
You're just a trickster
Who lost their way
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
For a brief moment she is alone in her world, only the measured precision of a huntress thrumming along in her veins like a metronome that her entire world is based on the beat of. But as her talons wrap around the dark, feathered body of her prey, buckling beneath Hotaru’s larger form, emotions that are not her own come screaming across her synapses in an array of sensation that startles her to her core.

It takes precious moments to untangle her mind from the other Attuned’s - because clearly that’s what the bird is - and by then they’re already a few feet further towards the ground. There’s no time to release the Attuned - no guarantee they’d correct themselves midair either - so instead Hotaru beats her wings as hard as she can to slow their descent, and then clutches the raven as close as possible and aims for the hedges. Turning to take the brunt of the impact into the bush, and delivering them safely (if roughly) into the branches instead of the hard earth below. Fuck. Fuck, are you okay? Where are you? All eloquence and poise normally found in spades in the Valkyrie gone to the wind in the face of such a monumental fuck up.
Pihu Anjali
Thief

Change author:
Pihu

For a brief moment, Pihu remained entirely stunned by the other bird's blow. Even as the words flooded into the raven's mind and some part of her realized the other animal was actually a fellow Attuned, the thief just felt panic, fear, and helplessness continue to flood her. Then anger sparked and, injured as she was, instinct took over.

Croaking, she flailed about, pecking at the other Attuned and swiping talons at the falcon as Hotaru gripped the raven. Luckily, common sense returned a moment later and Pihu stilled. It was enough to save her from further injury as they crashed into the hedge. No I'm not okay ye dumbass! And how am I suppose to know?! Somewhere in the hedge ye threw me into. With weak movements, she tried to climb the hedge, pain flaring in every limb as she did. She made no attempt to hide that pain from the other Attuned.
You're just a trickster
Who lost their way
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
It’s a graceless, bumpy landing, but the Attuned isn’t dead or otherwise gruesomely wounded, so frankly Ru is going to count that as a win. A shaky win, but a win nonetheless. It helps level out the frank, unavoidable failure that was accidentally hunting a fellow Attuned.

Getting a grasp of the tightly knit branches below is a little difficult, and a few golden feathers are left behind in the leaves, but soon the falcon is perched semi-stable on the top of the hedge and turning her sharp eyes to her unfortunate fellow. The cursing - whole boorish - is entirely understandable, and Ru does nothing to hide the sharp sincere regret that flows from her side of the bond in waves. I’m so sorry, I didn’t want us to hit the ground, she projects, and opens her wings to let their bright golden color be a beacon for the raven to lock onto visually. This way, up here. How badly are you hurt? She has only the most basic of healing magic, and she isn’t sure if she can even utilize it shifted, but she won’t leave the other woman wounded because of her mistake. Even if it had been a sincere one. Plus, Ru despises being indebted to anyone, and she’s not going to start now.
Pihu Anjali
Thief

Change author:
Pihu

As Pihu managed to clamber up to a relatively free space inside the hedge she paused. Squatting down, she pulled her wings in tight. It caught her chest, legs, and, well basically whole body to flare with pain. I'm not gonna thank ye for that, though I am glad to be alive. She croaked and swayed back and forth a bit.

Tilting her head back made her dizzy. Hold that thought. Pitching forward, she almost toppled off the branch she was perched on. She managed to catch herself at the last moment though and was soon upright again. Nothing broken that can't be fixed, I think. Just a bit rattled, still. Once the ground, hedge, and general area stopped spinning, she began to climb her way up to the top where the larger bird waited.
You're just a trickster
Who lost their way

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones, bones.

You've encountered the OG random event! This allows you to skip one levelling requirement with the character in this thread. (Unfortunately does not count for characters over level 10, how sad.)
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
It’s perhaps inappropriate but the ruff of Ru’s feathers puff out, the barest wisp of amusement escaping her controlled clutches across the bond at the woman’s coarseness. She has a type, sue her. Not dead is preferable I’d assume, she answers carefully, trying not to let laughter underline the words lest the disgruntled raven think her previous apology to be insincere.

Waiting patiently with wings still held aloft as a homing beacon, Hotaru watches from her vantage point as the other Attuned struggles up to a more vertical position. Of course, I can imagine. Though if they pain you too much, let me know. I can heal you if you need. You’ll want to fly out of here - there’s not much else out here, no good places to rest - so if you feel you can’t, merely say the word. Which the other woman might have noticed, but Ru is overdue kindness given the whole prior event.

Hopping a little closer, branches bending under her more significant weight, Hotaru clasps her wings back around her body and eyes the raven anew. Nope. Still not familiar. I’m Hotaru. There, that’s a good start. A better one than talons in your back.
Pihu Anjali
Thief

Change author:
Pihu

Yeah, well, if ye'd hit me with just a bit less force I'd have given as good as I got, Pihu shot back. Clacking her beak up at the larger bird, the raven resumed her slow climb up the inside of the hedge. She could actually see an opening to the top above her now, at least.

Pausing at the offer, she tilted her head up at her follow Attuned. This time, the dizzy spell passed much more swiftly. How's that work? Ye a hybrid or somethin'? The thief started her ascent up again. No offense, but even if ye weren't a stranger, I tend not to trust folks who nearly killed me to use magic on me. I think I'll take my chances.

Shaking her head back and forth as the woman's named floated through the bond, Pihu pecked at the wood in front of her beak. Okay. Guess we're on a first name basis now. I'm P. That was all Hotaru got.
You're just a trickster
Who lost their way
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
I’m sure you would have, she agrees smoothly, any doubts or amusement locked away perfectly where the woman cannot sense them. Ravens simply did not have the same damaging force as falcons, but Ru cannot begrudge her wounded pride. She would feel much the same, in the other woman’s…feathers. The interest is curious, though Ru assumes she’s a Natural then. They were the only ones who seemed to be wary of magic. Yes. Frey Attuned me, but I was Abandoned when I arrived. She’s not ashamed of her designation, blasé about the revelation and ensuing distrust.

Shrugging a feathered shoulder in a distinctly human motion that the other may not even see through the brambles, the Valkyrie lets it roll off her back. As you wish, though you didn’t look any different from an evening meal from above. It wasn’t my intention. Though she is more than welcome to hold her grudge. Hotaru would undoubtedly do the same, petty and manipulative as she is. Nodding her regal crown as the raven ascends - newly dubbed ‘P’, and isn’t that unfortunate - Hotaru regrets her bird form and how she cannot physically bite her tongue to withhold her laughter. Well, hrm, P it is then. What are you doing out this far? The only reason I was hunting is because there’s nobody for miles. It’s likely P will not take kindly to what could be perceived as prying, but what else is she supposed to do but make small talk if she cannot heal the other Attuned, nor depart so abruptly without seeming like an ass? Perhaps she could offer to cart the raven out of the Gambit on her shoulders as a mountain lion if the Attuned still needed the rest. Maybe the degradation of her attacker would improve P’s mood. But in the end, they merely rest and snipe at each other until P deems herself safe to fly, and they then depart.

- FIN