come into the den
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
And I hope that you don't suffer
But take the pain
One item on the list had everything to do with food. A party would definitely require goodies, even if most of the participants would be Ascended and require no sustenance. That was not the point. It was all about a sharing spirit, a festive setting and the good intentions of wishing everyone a pleasant time.

With that in mind, Maea headed for the Settlement on a sunny day where the sun shone down from a pale blue sky. Unusually fair for the season, and unfortunately rather unpleasant for her. But the vendors and traders were here when the sun was up, and so she had to be as well. Asking her way around, she eventually was directed to a certain young woman. Unsure whether this person would be at home, Maea still decided to try her house, and knocked lightly upon the door.

Settling herself in to wait for a response, she looked over the list again. And again. Even for a small party, there was a lot to be done, and without a deadline it was hard to know if she was behind schedule or not.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 410
LILLIANE
With the others out to work for the moment, Lilliane had the house to herself when Maea knocked at the door. And was making a list of her own at the moment. Although this one was not a shopping list, but a list of pros and cons for future plans.

It took a few moments after the knock, then Lilliane opened the door. The  white haired woman on the other side of the doorframe was certainly an unexpected sight, and Lilliane was surprised for a moment. "Um, hi." And she gave the stranger a little smile. "Can I help you?"
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
Footsteps approaching from within announced the presence of someone, which made this gamble worth the effort in Maea's book. As the door creaked open she looked up and offered the young woman a smile, close-lipped but friendly - in a door-salesman sort of way.

"Hello. I am looking for a Lilliane Baker - would you be she? I'm told she might be able to help me with an event... We need some help with food preparation." The sheaf of paper in her hand was waved as if to illustrate that there was a list, a plan, a real purpose and intent behind this surprise visit. "My name is Maea Valair. I am... a local." Though she looked a tad bemused as she said it, as if the words tasted strange in her mouth.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
LILLIANE
The request was unexpected, leaving Lilliane silent for a second, taking in the situation. But then she nodded. "Yes, I'm Lilliane. I'm pleased to meet you." With a glance at the paper that Maea had waved around, Lilliane stepped aside. "It seems like this might be a longer conversation. How about we sit down inside?"

Inside, Lilliane led Maea to the dining table, gesturing for her to sit down. "Would you like something to drink?" she asked, almost like second nature. "Oh, but you don't have to feel like you have to in order to be polite. I know many people here don't need any." One hand on the backrest of the chair opposite Maea, she waited, ready to get something to drink from the kitchen or sit down to talk.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
"Thank you, that is very kind."

Following the woman inside, Maea took the offered seat by the table, and looked around. The offer of refreshments was headed off with a light shake of the head and a pleasant smile. "Thank you, but I am content. Please, sit."

Placing the paper she had waved earlier on the table, Maea pushed it over so that Lilliane could read from it if she wished.

"A friend of mine would like to have a party, you see," she began, skipping pleasantries and jumping straight to the point. "But he is busy, so I agreed to take care of the preparations. We were thinking of making it a bonfire night, of sorts, but... with less fire, and more stories. And since we'd like everyone to attend who wishes it, music and some refreshments would be welcome too.

"And that's where I wondered if you would be interested in lending a hand?"
She paused, and looked across the table at the young woman, to see how she was taking this.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
LILLIANE
With a nod to Maea's comment, Lilliane sat down. While listening, she took a quick look at the paper on the table. "I'd be happy to help. With the refreshments, music is not my strong side." She gave Maea a slight smile.

Furrowing her brows slightly, Lilliane took another look at the list, before focusing back on Maea. "However, I don't think I'll be able to get all the ingredients myself, so I would need help with that." A quick glance through the open door into the kitchen. "Given enough preparation time, I can take care of the cooking and other food prep."

She slid the piece of paper back into the center of the table, so both of them could see it if necessary. "If I may ask, what kind of party will it be?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
The pale-haired woman looked relieved, and leaned forward in her seat.  "Thank you, I'm so glad to hear you say that! Finding people has been harder than I thought." Digging up a pen from a pocket, she began to scribble notes on the paper, as she went on to explain in more detail.

"I've received promises of supplies from a few farmers, they can be here as soon as you need them. The party will be on the casual side - think Fiat Lux but way smaller. We will hang lanterns and place glow stones around the Glade, probably, and arrange for guests to bring 'fireside' stories. But since so many of us are Ascended, we'll keep the actual fires to a minimum."

She looked up to see that Lilliane was still with her and smiled. "So, the food we need should be warm and easy to eat. Nothing too fancy, and probably not in any greater quantities, since I don't know how many guests we'll have."

Leaning back, she tapped the butt of the pen against the back of her hand. "Lanterns are being mended, food is coming along... it's really the music and the stories left, now. I might try to dig through the Atheneum some, see what I can find..."
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
LILLIANE
As she listened, Lilliane nodded along. "Are you planning for something like a buffet where everyone can take something whenever they want, or do you plan on a specific time for serving food?" Eyebrows slightly furrowed, Lilliane was already thinking of possible options, tapping her chin with one of her index fingers. "If you want a warm buffet, I'd focus on food that is easy to keep warm. As for easy to eat, maybe even finger food?" She looked at Maea, waiting for her opinion on the topic.

"Depending on how many people you plan to invite, there should be a lot of stories if everyone tells at least one, right? With a world as turbulent as Caido, I'm sure that there are many stories to tell."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
Cocking her head aside in consideration, Maea smiled faintly as the suggestions started to flow back. The girl was in - it had been a good decision to come here.
"A buffet with finger food sounds like just the thing," she replied. "The less attention it requires the better, too. I don't want to keep anyone from joining in with the fun, at least not for the whole evening."

Blinking as Lilliane commented on the storytelling, the white-haired ascended nodded. "You are right. I just want to be prepared, in case some needs inspiration, or a push to get going." She gave the other woman a curious look. "Pardon if this is presumptuous of me, but... you are an outlander, yes?" Something in the way she spoke, in the way she had referred to Caido made it sound as though she did not see herself entirely as part of it, yet.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
LILLIANE
Another nod followed Maea's agreement. Lilliane already had a few ideas on what to make. "Okay, then I'll know what to make." And she gave Maea a smile. It felt good to work and plan again. "I guess the only question left is, how many people should I make the food for? So that I have a rough estimate of how much is necessary." It would be a shame for food to go bad because she had made too much.

As for the other question, she smiled slightly as she answered. "I don't mind the question. Yes, I'm an outlander. I arrived here half a year ago."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
That was a very good question. Maea blinked slowly and gazed about the room as she considered. Counting off the farms she had visited, all the hands she was employing to put this together.
"I would say... twenty, or so. Perhaps a little more, in case there are unexpected visitors. If there are leftovers we can always send care-packages home with the guests." With Deepfrost soon on the doorstep, food would always be welcome additions to the locals.

With her guess confirmed, Maea smiled at the girl. "I see. That's not a very long time, at all. Have you had a chance to set foot beyond the Grounds, yet? Live some stories of your own, perhaps?" There had been a time when she herself had gone as far away from this place as she could. It would never cease to surprise her that anyone chose to stay.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
LILLIANE
Care packages were indeed a good idea. Within the grounds, food was already scarce enough as it was, so nobody would mind taking some leftovers. "Okay, I'll plan accordingly with the amount of food then."

As for stories, Lilliane thought for a moment before answering the question. "I'm not sure what would amount for a good story, to be honest. There are many things I have experienced which I find interesting or strange. But to someone who knows this world well, they might be rather trivial." There was a little pause before she continued talking. "So far I've been mostly exploring near the grounds and in Torchline."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
Pleased to have that squared away, Maea wrote down what they had agreed on upon the back of the paper. The pen remained in her hand as the conversation moved on, twirling around her fingers while she regarded Lilliane. A light smile lingered on her lips, kind and understanding.

"Anything that you find interesting is good," she assured. Then considered, before asking; "Say... if there was a chance to travel more, and search for other stories. Maybe gather tales from other people as well - would that interest you at all?"

It was a wild shot, and she tried not to get her hopes up too much. But maybe... "There used to be a guild here, before. Called The Loreseekers. They were based in the Atheneum, and focused on research, exploration of Caido, among other things. I've been thinking that I'd like to revive it again. Perhaps a bit differently... I'm looking to recruit some people." Maea paused, waiting for the woman's response. A stillness came over her, of bated breath and carefully contained excitement.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
LILLIANE
Lilliane took a moment to think about the idea, tapping her chin while doing so. "It would be interesting, yes. Also, I believe that gathering knowledge is always helpful. At the same time, I want to open a bakery and cafe at some point in the future, which would limit the amount of time I have for travelling." The way she said it, it was both explanation and thinking aloud.

Then she nodded. "Though if stories I hear from customers are helpful as well, I'd be happy to help." She gave Maea a smile. "What would happen to the gathered tales and stories?"