crashing down with style
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Down and out, and out of luck, we're spinning but the needle's stuck
Rain pattered against the cobbled streets, on rooftops and window sills. It trickled down through gutters and in rivulets down the winding alleyways, staining walls of stone and plaster, wood and paint until they appeared to weep. It soaked through the shoes of anyone foolish or daring enough to venture outside, and dampened the shoulders and crown of a young woman's dark coat until her stark white hair dripped with moisture, despite the upturned hood.

She scraped the mud off her feet before pushing open the door to the cramped little store. In the late afternoon the interior was even darker than she remembered, cast in shadows unmolested by the flickering firelight that once turned this place into a homely scene. A small bell announced her arrival, and as the sound of it reverberated in the stillness, Maea hovered on the threshold. Breathing in the atmosphere, until she could taste memories on her tongue and hear ghosts of the past whisper at the periphery of her vision.

Only slowly did she stir into motion again. Carefully she picked her way deeper into the book store, over carpets that muffled the soft tread of her feet and towards the shelves that lined every wall, filled to overflowing with literature. Old books, new books, books in screaming states of disrepair and works of art that her clumsy fingers would never dare to touch. Over on the counter lay a book halfway into the process of rebinding, and she wondered if her friend had been working on it before he passed away, or whether it was a project undertaken by the new... proprietor.

Curious, she reached out to pick it up, so she could see what it had been about.
Maea
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai heard the door swing open and peeked out from behind the shelf where he'd been organizing a few books. "Hello." He walked over; biting is lip nervously. "Were you uh... looking for anything in particular...?" Running a shop was such a new concept for the Ascended. He'd never imagined he'd ben in such a position.

Some of his nervousness did fade however as the glasses he was wearing alerted him that the stranger was a fellow Ascended. After that processed, he realized that he vaguely recognized her. "Oh, I think we met during the spire upgrades? I'm Nikolai."

Glancing at the counter he noticed the book and his face turned grim. "Sam left that. I haven't had the heart to move it just yet." Nikolai also knew very little about bookbinding and didn't want to mess up his predecessor's hard work.
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Her hand paused over the book as someone spoke up. Turning, pale eyes settled on a young man who indeed looked vaguely familiar. A long scrutiny followed, until the girl at last nodded, and the ghost of a smile touched her lips and was gone.

"I remember. I'm Maea. I was a friend of Sam's." Withdrawing a step from the counter, she wrapped the coat more tightly about herself and looked around. "Guess I just... wanted to come here, again. See what's become of the place. My brother told me he had given the store to someone... I suppose that would be you?"

She cocked her head to the side, and waited to see if he would contradict this.
Maea
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai bit his lip at the mention of Sam. He had been a kind soul, and he was dearly missed. Nikolai walked over to better continue the conversation as talking while hiding behind shelves of books was likely rude.

"Yah. That's me." His brow furrowed in thought as he leaned against the counter, "Is your brother Amun? He's the one who suggested that I take over." Nikolai hadn't been aware that Amun had a sister. Though that did explain the big-brother vibes that the man had. It had been a shock when Amun had told him he should take over the bookstore. The thought would never have even occurred to Nikolai otherwise.
Some lie in wait
Maea Valair

Change author:
That suggestion of a smile returned at the sound of Amun's name, a touch brighter this time. She nodded, and shifted until she could lean a hip against the counter. She kept her distance though, with arms tucked tight around her torso.

"Yes, that's him. I was surprised... I know he and Sam were seeing each other, but he never mentioned you before. Giving away the shop like this... he must trust you." The lingering look she leveled at the young man was measuring, as if she might somehow be able to discern what it was that earned him such a privilege. "Are you a book binder too, like Samuel was?"

Perhaps it was all a matter of trade. Making sure that a business was left up and running.
Maea
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai noted Maea's body language with a pinched lip. He hadn't meant to make her feel uncomfortable and he tried to relax his body language to appear as nonthreatening as he could.

"I was surprised when he suggested it." Nikolai shook his head at her question, "No. I'm more of a scholar. I research and transcribe, even write sometimes. But I have no idea how to physically make a book." He glanced at the unfinished book on the counter, "It's part of why I've refused to touch Sam's works in progress."

Nikolai still didn't fully understand why Amun had deemed him a proper success of Sam. Nikolai and Sam hadn't known each other that well, even if they had gotten along. Well enough to miss the man though.
Some lie in wait
Maea Valair

Change author:
If she noticed his efforts, it did not show in her demeanor. Maea's eyes kept moving around the shop, tracing bookshelves and the lining of the ceiling, taking in the fringe of carpets and the places where dust had been allowed to gather in corners. Eventually, she settled in a more thorough scrutiny of the unfinished book on the counter.

"I see. That's good, I think. I mean... he began to teach me how to do it, but I'd never dare try to finish something on this level." Pale fingers, with skin puckered and scarred from some great heat, touched gently upon a page before withdrawing again. Hastily, as if afraid that she might damage the parchment.

"If you are a scholar, I suppose you spend much time in the Atheneum?" She spared the young man a glance, though it didn't linger.
Maea
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai nodded, "Understandable." It was daunting to merely look at the unfinished book. To try and complete it? Unfathomable. But that did give him an idea. "Do you think..?" He bit his lip nervously, "If you had the time or wanted to, do you think that you'd like to make books? For the shop I mean." The younger Ascended didn't know the first thing about binding books, but if Maea knew how, maybe she would help?

The mention of the Atheneum made Nikolai relax, "Yes. If I'm not here, then I'm at the Atheneum. I've been translating a lot of the older texts lately." Before taking the shop, he'd spent the vast majority of his time in the Atheneum, simply reading or writing.
Some lie in wait
Maea Valair

Change author:
A curious question; she had never considered it. Maea glanced up, then looked at the unfinished book. Then swept her eyes along the shelves, and tried to imagine herself confined within these walls, wiling away hour upon hour bent over aged parchment, fresh paper, her fingers sticky from ink and glue.

It had the look of a cage.

She shook her head in a sharp jerk, side to side before staring down at her feet, mouth pressed into a thin line. It shouldn't make her feel so trapped - but it did.

Only, her head came up quick enough again as Nikolai went on. Something hungry came over her features, and she leaned forward, a hand coming to rest on the counter.

"You know the old language?" she asked, suddenly intent. "If you can translate it - can you teach me to read it?" A moment of hesitation, then she added; "I could... show you what Sam taught me. In return."

Something for something had always been the currency of the Grounds.
Maea
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai felt for a second that he'd fucked up somehow when Maea suddenly looked immensely uncomfortable. Before he could apologize, for what he didn't know, she made her request. He thought about it for a moment. Nikolai had been learning to translate it before he even received his upgrade. And given his love of linguistics, he'd been able to figure out the mechanics of the language after he did receive it.

Nikolai nodded, "I think I could. I have an upgrade that allows me to translate just about anything. I think I can break the language down and teach you." It actually sounded kind of fun. And learning to bind books himself would be efficient.

"It's a deal. Should we meet up sometime soon to start? I want to write down some of the basics first. Like a guide or something. Maybe make some workbooks?" That way Maea could practice on her own time as well.
Some lie in wait
Maea Valair

Change author:
She waited as he considered, wound tight as a spring coil until he finally nodded. Her face lit up with a tentative smile, and Maea nodded in return. Hastily, before giving herself time to think it through too carefully. Before regret and second guessing would make her back out.

"Sure. The Atheneum, maybe? I'm there often enough anyway." How she had managed to miss him every time she couldn't say. Perhaps it was due to the tendency to simply vanish as soon as she heard footsteps down the isles... Possibly he had noticed the strewn about books and open scrolls littering tables, more than she ever considered who must be cleaning them up between her visits.

A gust of wind rattled the windows, and the patter of rain against glass panes made her look over. The weather clearly took a turn for the worse. The walls of the store crept in on her, the space confining until she felt she could hardly breathe. Not that she could actually suffocate, but... that was not the point.

"See you in a few days." Then she activated her upgrade and was gone, in a rush of shifting air that set the pages of Sam's unfinished work flipping over on themselves. Elusive as a ghost.

{Fin}
Maea