rhythm of the evening
Open
Enzo Kaliesin

Age: 21 | Height: | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
the difference between a garden
AND A GRAVEYARD
If Frey can be appreciated for one thing, it’s the way they ensure the aging process is smooth and easy. Enzo’s longer legs feel as perfectly a part of himself as his eyes, his spirit. Firmly rooted and familiar, for all he’s had them for mere hours. They take him farther now - a certain safety and surety acquired with age that invites a world without borders or parental oversight. His mother has yet to find out, so new is the change, so Enzo intends on enjoying at least one adventure before she grounds him forever. Or puts him in the ground.

Torchline is still beautiful even with winter right around the corner. The cold wind off the ocean is unimpeded and strange, tousling his curls and bringing color to his cheeks as he stands staring at the seemingly eternal horizon.

And then, because he’s never had the chance to swim in the ocean, and in complete spite of the weather, Enzo shimmies his shirt and pants off and goes running down the sand into the ocean’s waves. Deeper voice still a shriek at the bracing cold as it washes up on his bare legs, but his laughter is bright and happy.
is what you choose to put in the soil
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Age: 22 | Height: 5' 3" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int: 0
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
see what you find there with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair
Now, it wasn't often that you heard Torchline described as boring. Truthfully, the tropical paradise was usually bustling with activity, but with Deepfrost approaching quickly, the port was growing quiet. Too quiet. Paige was restless. She'd promised to find something fun for her and Mateo to do when he got here. Yet here she was, more bored than ever, struggling to find anything fun. The now eleven year old wandered along the shore, dress a bit too short now to really fit properly, landing above her knees thanks to another growth spurt.

She's not even sure what she's looking for. Anything interesting would suffice at this point. Be it a strange animal or a new person or something shiny to nick off a random passerby.

As if Ludo heard her informal prayer, a loud peal of laughter catches her attention, blue eyes scanning the beach in search of the source. Now, Paige has seen all sorts of bodies and people thanks to coming up in the Halenani. Skin isn't new to her. What is new is the way she notices it. A streak of curls and rather bare skin, save for the undergarments he's wearing, goes bounding into the cold waves and her steps falter. Well, this was certainly interesting. "Thank you, Ludo..." Paige mutters to herself, pressing forward to where the boy was wading more deeply into the water.

"Have you lost your mind?" She calls out to the stranger, a grin curling on pale pink lips as she watches his curls bounce with each step.
Paige
Enzo Kaliesin

Age: 21 | Height: | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
AND A GRAVEYARD
Air seems to be a scarcity in his lungs with the pervasiveness of the cold. That, too, is a new thing. He loves it. It’s like being a newborn but with the awareness of an adult - everything bright and strange and new, ready for the taking. It’s just as possible it’s attributed to his generally mischievous personality as well, but whatever the reason Enzo is up to his armpits in saltwater and having the time of his life.

He isn’t expecting company, but the voice that shouts above the waves and gulls is weirdly familiar. Turning - and stumbling a little as a wave smacks him in the center of his back - one hand lifts to press his curls away from his forehead and gaze back to the shore. There stands a girl, a little bit older but still undeniably a friend. “Paige!” he shouts back, and begins to abandon the freezing water despite how little time he’d spent in it. Jogging in it is a little difficult, but his smile is sunny and his dimples are deep and apparent in his cheeks as he emerges, soaked and unselfconscious. “Maybe I did lose it and was trying to find it in there,” he teases, light eyes crinkling at the corners with the exact same sass and mischief she’d been met with the first time they’d met on the riverbank. Some things never change after all.
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Age: 22 | Height: 5' 3" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
There are things she's expecting. A look of surprise. Maybe even a exclamation asking her why she cares. The last thing she's prepared for is her name coming out of his mouth and the dimpled smile sent her way. Oh. Oh. It takes her longer than she wants to admit. The realization of just who she's talking to. The last time she'd seen him he was around her age. Definitely not tall and muscled and with a voice that deep. Her lips part in quiet surprise, mouth opening and closing stupidly like a fish caught on a hook as she stands there, wind whipping at her hair and dress. Say something. Anything.

"Enzo?" It comes out more like a squeak and nothing like she imagined it in her head. A flush rises suddenly to her cheeks and gods she's grateful for the slight chill she can blame it on as her eyes quickly move from the mop of damp curls to his toes, lingering momentarily on obviously new muscle, but she does her best to look at his face instead.

She snorts, loudly and rather unladylike, rolling her eyes at him as she crosses her arms over her chest. "I doubt you'll find it in there. Not sure you had much of a mind in the first place." The Attuned retorts, a grin of her own breaking out across her face as she moves closer to him, brows arching towards her hairline. "Since when did you, uh... Grow up?"
Paige
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
AND A GRAVEYARD
The air is much colder and more apparent once you’re soaked to the bone in autumnal water. Enzo is certain he can feel every stray breeze and could somehow measure them in a meaningful way. Not that the chill slows him down, striding through the shallows up to his knees. Paige seems much…smaller. It makes sense, given his sudden sprouting and aging, but it’s disorienting all the same, and distracts him from the odd squeak of her voice over his name.

Her teasing has a flash of mischief crossing his eyes, and he bends to scoop water into his hand to fling at her. “Enough to make you stick around and talk to me though, so what does that say about your standards?” he snarks back, though his smile never wavers or dulls. Straightening and walking further until the water is to his shins, Enzo lifts a hand to cup the back of his own neck, sheepish. “Only a day or so ago. Flora and I were tired of being kids, which sounds fittingly childish when put that way.” And fighting for attention from your scattered, busy parents when you’re all roughly the same age? Enzo had found it more favorable to age up with his twin, assuring he would never be alone in that moment of maturation.
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Change author:
She can see the rise of goosebumps across his skin, noting how they spread over his chest and down his arms completely as water runs in rivulets down his skin. Her mouth feels suddenly dry, tongue thick and cotton like, words catching there as she tries to formulate a response. Before she can, she’s pelted by the freezing water, squealing as she attempts to skirt away from him. A bout of laughter bubbles up in her chest as she kicks up sand and stray shells. ”Watch it!” Paige huffs, dramatically brushing her hands down the skirt of her dress as if she can actually get rid of the water spots there. Sticking her tongue out at him, the Attuned wrinkles her nose, ”Doesn’t say anything other than my options are limited and I have to make do with what I’ve got. Even if that leaves something to be desired.”

Paige might have been young, but her whit and sharp tongue was almost beyond her years. Blame it on all the overheard conversations at the Halenani. That was surely it.

Drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, Paige stays uncharacteristically quiet, biting at a bit of chapped skin as she considers what to say. ”I want to grow up too, but with the war coming and everything momma is worried.” Her thin shoulders lift in a shrug, blue eyes flicking up to his from beneath thick lashes. ”I promised I’d wait. Since Safrin can keep us safe and all.” But if all of her friends were growing up then she’d be alone. At least Ever, Sol, and Mateo hadn’t. Kamaria had promised it wouldn’t change anything, but then she’d gone and disappeared too. Paige just didn’t want to be left behind again.
Paige
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
AND A GRAVEYARD
Her shriek only makes his grin widen. “You watch it, squirt!” It feels glorious to lord it over her, especially considering she’d been the older of the two of them last they’d met. Though he doesn’t splash her again, if only to be nice. As nice as he can be. Her sharp tongue makes him laugh, and as he comes closer to reaches with his wet hand to playfully swipe his knuckles across her cheek as he passes by towards his discarded clothes. “So mean! You break my heart PG,” he agonizes dramatically, the nickname new and springing easily forward.

As he bends to snag his shirt, the boy hums understandingly. “I get it. But my dad keeps us safe in the Greatwood, and Flo and I don’t plan on getting involved far as I know. I’d rather be older and able to help if someone gets hurt than not be able to even move a single person off the proverbial field, you know?” Small and useless, in need of protection instead of capable of even the most minor support. Sliding his shirt on, damp spots immediately bleeding through the fabric, Enzo winces and the hand comes up habitually once more to rub the back of his neck. “We uh…we didn’t ask permission before we did it. Kinda knew one of them would object if we did.” And they hadn’t intended on letting either parent stop them.
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Change author:
Squirt? Squirt? Paige scowls, huffing out a breath as she narrows her eyes at him. She isn't that small. She's actually rather tall for her age. Her mom told her so. The Attuned grumbles at that. Not paying attention as he moves closer and she's met with a brush of knuckles against her cheek that has her shivering. Paige reaches up to wipe the moisture away, glaring with darkening eyes, long curls catching in the same breeze that continues to bring goosebumps to his skin. He's taller than she realized and despite her height, Paige has to tilt her head back to maintain eye contact with him. "PG?"

She's caught up on the nickname. A part of her crowing at the fact that he gave her one and the other part of her spinning on the fact that he said she broke his heart. Was she even capable of that? She suddenly feels rather small as he speaks.

Her arms wrap around her slender waist, highlighting the barely there curves that are starting to come in with each passing day, Caido doing it's best to make her grow up. That was the thing about this place. It made people grow up too fast. Way faster than anywhere else. That she was sure of.

Paige can't help the way she bristles, feeling defensive about her age, the fact that she isn't growing up. That she can't yet. "Well it isn't like I have a demigod for a parent." The Attuned mutters, more of an edge to her voice than she intends, instantly regretting it at her cheeks flame. "I get it... Kamaria said the same thing. That she wanted to be able to help." Except Kamaria wasn't like her either because she was a demigod and her mother was Safrin and Paige was just Paige. Nothing about her was special. There wasn't someone bigger or stronger making sure she was safe like they had.
Paige
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
AND A GRAVEYARD
She’s full of expressions that contort and writhe faster than a pissed off adderhead on her face, and Enzo has seen that in person. He’d arguably call her more dangerous, but he also grew up with Flora, so angry young girls have planted a healthy wariness in the young man.

Except she goes from slightly puffed cheeks, clearly irritated, to something wilting and insecure so quickly Enzo is left floundering. Especially because he doesn’t know what to do with sad girls. His hands come out between them, hovering there awkwardly as his light eyes go wide with panic. Oh you fucked up boy, a voice that’s some strange mix of his and Flora’s crows in the back of his head.

“Aw geez PG, don’t feel bad about it!” Enzo’s voice is both cajoling and awkward, striving for comfort but fumbling the delivery. “If everyone was a soldier we wouldn’t have any of the fun stuff right? Just uh, think of it like that. There’s no shame in wanting to stay safe, for your ma if anything.” Finally deciding that her shoulder is safe, the young man settles his hand there and squeezes gently, smiling down at her with dimples popping. “You’ll join us before you know it. Flo and I aren’t gonna be changing the world or the war just by being older or Remi’s kids. You’re not missin’ out on anything.” Maybe if he just keeps talking he’ll nail whichever insecurity it is making her hold herself, because hell if he knows which one.
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Change author:
It doesn't help. He fumbles and fumbles and fumbles. There is a threat of tears for a moment and that makes her all the more upset. Only little girls cried and she wasn't a little girl. Her momma had just talked to her about it. How she was becoming a woman. How she was growing up. Yet she didn't feel grown up. Not when Enzo was standing there, towering over her and sporting new muscle, a deeper voice that showed his new age. The child of a demigod, aged up fresh and ready for war, standing in front of her like it didn't mean anything.

Wiping roughly at her eyes, shrugging her shoulders even as Enzo gives it a squeeze, feeling a tightness in her throat and an unwillingness to admit that he might be right. "Except I am missing out, aren't I? It's not like I can do anything to help and once it all starts people won't have time for fun." They wouldn't have time for her. She shakes her head, drawing in a sharp breath in an attempt to control the rioting emotions swirling inside of her. Remember what Pihu said. Just build a wall.

So she does. Up and up and up. Brick after brick. Until it's all trapped inside, unable to leak out or get through the cracks, buried deep inside. The hollowness that follows is more comforting than the hand on her shoulder.
Paige
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
AND A GRAVEYARD
Ah fuck, now she’s crying. Hell of a vacation, huh? Enzo can’t help but automatically scan his surroundings with only his eyes, head held perfectly still so as not to betray himself, to desperately seek out Flora. She would surely know what to do with all…this. But of course it’s just the two of them and the ocean at his back.

…could he just run into it and get away?

“Help doesn’t have to be fighting, or even anything that requires being an adult. I don’t…know what else you’d want to help with? It’d just mean you could die.” And maybe it’s blunt, but death doesn’t scare Enzo, not between Remi and Vai’s influence. Flopping an awkward arm towards the ocean, Enzo tries for a comforting smile; his discomfort is still abundantly clear, but he gives it a good try. “I mean hey, clearly I’m not giving up fun!”
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Change author:
The Attuned huffs, shaking her head as she wipes at her eyes, an unamused laugh puffing past her lips. "So what if I do die? Not like anyone would miss me, Enzo. I'm not important" It's not true. There are plenty who would, but she's been hit with that early preteen angst that she can't keep down. Her eyes flit back up to him, a look of disbelief on her face at his words, brows knitting together. "Swimming alone is fun?" Paige crosses her arms over her chest, rocking back on her heels as she looks up at him.

"Seems pretty boring to me." And the attitude is back. Bitter and displeased, tinging the air with the same charge one might feel before lightning strikes during a storm. Blue eyes look past his shoulder and despite herself, there is a little longing for the water that stirs in her belly, wanting to forget about everything for a bit. Why couldn't things just stop? She was tired of change.
Paige
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
AND A GRAVEYARD
Enzo’s lips purse, a disapproving frown edging on full lips. Flora is predisposed to these sorts of dramatics, but they’d been of an exact age when she would say them with more heart than she does now - more teasing and with dramatic sighs instead of tears. “Then am I nobody? The friends you told me about? Your mom, Queen Maeve? You’re not just putting yourself down when you say those things Paige - you’re insulting all of us who do care for you.” An outlook he has utilized on himself many times when he felt unwanted, forgotten by a father that had never planned on another son.

However she takes it, it seems she is at least willing to be distracted - unless she thinks she’s distracting him, which she isn’t given how transparent her topic change is. Not that Enzo won’t abide it, rolling his eyes and quirking a smile - like a shield against her bitterness. “Not all of us have an ocean on our doorstep PG. If you want to sit in the sand and mope you can, but I’m going to go swim.” He bumps his hand beneath her chin, though he’s sure it’ll piss her off, and gallivants back into the ocean with a laugh. The implied invitation hanging in his wake.
ENZO
Paige Berkley

Change author:
The look he gives her is enough to make her second guess everything. She grows quiet, a flush spreading across her cheeks as she meets his gaze, "I never thought of it like that." Paige admits, toes scuffing in the sand as she stands before him, bottom lip catching between her teeth.

His teasing is light and easy. Familiar. Paige crosses her arms over her chest as he chuffs her under the chin, making her head tilt up, towards the taller boy. "You're just easily impressed." Paige quips, but she can't help trailing after him as he heads back towards the water. She moves to tug her dress over her head, leaving her in the swimsuit that she often keeps under her clothes. The rest of the afternoon is spent in the water, lounging in the sand, and focusing on everything but the war.

~FIN~
Paige