high brow
Wessex
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
the hailstorm
How does one make themselves at home in a place that, at its heart, has never been one's home? For Neron, it's an act of mimicry. He ran a bar in Halo, and so he runs a bar in the Hollowed Grounds. (Thanks, Sunjata). He dated a leader in Halo, and so look out Isla no, wait, scrap that. He read trashy romance in Halo, and so you guessed it, he's sure as hell going to read trashy romance in the Hollowed Grounds.

The Atheneum has found in Neron its newest patron; he's seen these budding Loreseekers coming and going over the open pages of the book in his lap, but honestly, that whole finding knowledge business has never really been for him. Buxom Delilah and her breasts that strain against her corset like wild stallions? That's for him. And for the dashing Captain Whitestone too, if chapter eleven is anything to go by.

Settled in a comfortable chair, there's no need for lanterns or firelight for the Hailstorm, and he's propped his feet up on the table in front of him to get more comfortable. Absorbed as he is, there's more lazy ex-duke than Ascended hybrid about him tonight.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:

This is probably the last place she’d think to find Neron. One of the last places. The Art-isan’s Guild also seems like a stretch.

Creepin’ through the stacks like some kind of mad researcher, Wessex aggressively reshelves yet another book that’s yielded absolutely nothing of note, banging the corners against the shelf as it slides back into place. “Fucking idiots,” she murmurs, before rising and stalking out of the row in a furry of swishy cloak material. Right in her line of vision is Neron, reclining without a care in the world. Wessex comes to a sudden halt, cocking her head to one side in amusement as she makes out the title of his book.

“The Heart of the Halenani?” she asks, voice rising in amusement. “I didn’t take you for a fan of Delilah’s.” But now that Wessex actually thinks about it... yeah, she can see it.

WESSEX
come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts
unsex me here
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
the hailstorm
Neron, used to the rumblings of other patrons in the Atheneum by this point, does little until Wessex actually comes into view and addresses him. And when she does, his steel blue eyes flick up from the book to land on the Wraith, a catlike smile curling across his lips. "I didn't realise I was a fan of hers either, until today," he says. Pulling his feet back from the table to sit up properly, he finds a marker for his book and lets it snap shut with a muted thump.

"Forgive me for saying so, but I didn't really take you for a big reader yourself," he drawls, gesturing around the library. "Or - you weren't looking for me, were you? Because I think you ought to know that there was already a guaranteed chance of failure when it came to me going back to Halo. Noah and Deimos have sticks shoved so far up their backsides I'm surprised they can't taste wood all the time."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

“You’re in good company. My sister - real one - was a fan. She had excellent taste in books.” Still fairly amused, the Wraith’s expression remains wry. Is she being facetious? “I’m the research kind of person, and only recently. But the information here is… lacking, to say the least. Hard to care about recording shit when you’re on the verge of starvation, I guess.” Between that and the holes in the ceiling, pests, and three hundred years of decay… lack of information was an understatement.

However, she shakes her head as he mentions looking for him. “Actually, I forgot about it for a bit, in the mess of everything since then.” Wessex does at least have the good sense to appear apologetic about this fact without going overboard, trusting that Neron won’t take it too personally.

“Not surprised,” she says, crossing her arms and leaning against a stack. “I bet Noah is so self-righteous now he thinks his shit doesn’t stink. What happened?”

WESSEX
unsex me here
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
"Are you implying that we are not a real family?" Neron's fingers flutter to his breast as he sets down the book, as though gravely wounded by the implication. "She really did," he confirms, however, of Wessex's sister - the novel will be coming back to the VlamVloed with him so he can finish it.

Wrinkling his nose (predictably) at the notion of research, it's only knowing what's coming that spurs the Hailstorm to ask about it. "What are you researching? If you say relics, I might scream. It feels like that's all anyone is interested in these days."

Rising to his feet and stretching his arms above his head, he flaps a hand in Wessex's direction as to assure her that he takes no offence at having been forgotten. As a (former) Spymaster, that's kind of his thing. "Well they decided I had killed Morgan as soon as I got there, and that they were going to arrest me. One little whisper from Remi and the Big Bad Ascended are The Worst all over again."

Doesn't matter if it's true. Shh.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

“I’d never, Wessex immediately replies, mirroring his shock with her own exaggerated, aghast step back. “Only that you might have gotten her confused with Isla or Maea… and I can’t quite see either of them diving into Delilah’s torrid Torchline affair.” Right or wrong, maybe that just goes to show how little - or how much - she truly knows about her kin.

As for what she’s researching - well, he’s almost on the nose. Her shoulders find her ears a little sheepishly, and as she shrugs, she says. “In a roundabout way. Mostly looking for information about the Climb, Draig, or Greatwood, because they wouldn’t put one here. And so far, the relics’ve mostly been attached to places linked with other legends - the Last Step, the Maw, the Peepholes -” Anyway, she’ll stop there to spare him, and she’s sure that if there are other patrons in the Atheneum, they won’t appreciate the Hailstrorm’s screaming.

Her lips purse together as she nods, still unsurprised by his tale. “They have any proof?”

WESSEX
unsex me here
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
"Oh, I'm not so sure about that. Maea not so much, but I bet our beloved Overseer keeps a flowery novel or two tucked under her pillow," Neron drawls, rolling his shoulders as he lets his arms fall back to his sides. As Wessex does start to explain what she's at the library for, he does look for a moment as if he's going to scream out of spite, but he backtracks it into a heavy sigh in the end.

"I know it's probably not a popular suggestion, but why don't we focus more on ourselves? I feel like we're on a wild goose chase with these relics - do we really need them?" He's already raising his hands in apology, in case Wessex disagrees enough to bop him across the head for it. (Chance would be a fine thing).

As for proof? "None that would stand up in a court," Neron murmurs. "Not that Caido has those. Savages."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Yes, yes, she knows. It’s all screamworthy. And if she had open skies and privacy, she might scream too. For the most part, she remains only partially amused, and delivers a look intended to tell him so. Particularly when he suggests focusing on themselves.

“From what I’ve learned that some of them do, yes, we could really use them. It’ll probably ultimately depend on whether or not the Voice and the Core can defeat the Old Gods, but…” Shaking her head, she trails off because she doesn’t know what she should say next. Until her brain latches on to a phrase. “But back to focusing on us. Offering the Hailstorm a tight, cat-like grin, Wessex slides right into throwing it back at him. “When’s the last time you trained? Or went to the Voice for a new something?” Her voice curls languidly, not quite a dangerous purr, but close enough to border on it.

Can’t lose the relics and be lazy. That’s a recipe for disaster.

WESSEX
unsex me here
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
Wrinkling his nose, Neron supposes that he can't argue with that, even though he wants to. "Well, your Knowtbook tells you who has what relic, right? Maybe we can steal a couple for ourselves." Dangerous, but so is everything else they're trying to achieve these days. And he doesn't like to dwell for too long on the odds between the Old Gods and their goddess, so back to the family it is.

He opens his mouth as if to respond, but of course she knows his answer will be bullshit, and so does he, and they'll all waste their breath lying to each other if he chooses that option. "I have been busy," he informs her, lamely, before drawing himself up and having the good grace to look haughty about it. Hilariously so. "Why, were you planning to whip me into shape?" Eyyy.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

If only it were that easy - if only many things were as easy as simply stealing something. “I’d take Noah in a heartbeat,” she counters. “But Isla might kill me if we have another incident so soon.” That and there’s no real way to steal ICly Which isn’t a no, exactly, just a not right now, accompanied with a ghost of a smile that hints at other thoughts. Someone might be listening, after all.

As for whipping him in to shape? “Yes. Train with me tomorrow. I have some fun new things to play with.” But wait, there’s more! “I’ll even take out the splashback upgrade for you.” So they can go longer and harder and he won’t be completely beaten up.

WESSEX
unsex me here
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
"What Isla doesn't know won't hurt her," Neron says smoothly. She doesn't know about his being responsible for the crimes he's accused of in Halo, after all, and no one has come to set fire to the Hollowed Grounds just yet. "I am merely saying that if you ever wanted to consider it, I would be more than happy to lend a hand."

Honestly, he doesn't expect her to actually agree, the Launceleyn looking a mix of impressed and put out by the prospect of having to physically and/or mentally exert himself. "In the snow," he says, as if he hasn't lived somewhere far colder and far more blizzardy for the majority of his time in Caido. "Ugh. Fine." Still, he's flashing her a grin, so it can't be all bad, right?

"Where do you want to meet?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

He’s not wrong - there are at least a handful of things Isla doesn’t know, for better or worse. And while she would privately love to beat the crap out of the pious blowhard, giving Noah a bunch of bruises is low on the priority scale. “If I ever get my fucking shadow cloak back, let’s talk about it again.” Which is to say, table it for now. But definitely not a No.

“Outside the Barracks. Dusk. It’ll be fun.” Wagging her eyebrows in a sorry imitation of Amun, the Wraith knows it’ll be fun for her, at least. She almost feels bad about it, but then Neron's grinning and she knows he's a big boy. He can take it.

“I’ll leave you to Delilah and the good captain,” she almost croons, turning with an impish grin on her heels and heading for the door of the Atheneum.

{Fin}

WESSEX
unsex me here