Mini Event pathway to the stars
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Maeve calls the meeting as soon as she's able to manage it, situating herself on the front steps of the Court of Stars, waiting for everyone to arrive before she begins speaking. "Thank you all for coming. Safrin has given us a new regional quest. We will gain access to her stars and their ability to defend us." She begins, scanning the crowd with her eyes, waiting for anyone to pose any questions before she continues. "We have a few things that we need to decide first, however. Where would we like the Stargate to be? This will be where the constellation comes through." Another pause, letting that sink in before speaking again.

"Do we want it to act more offensively or defensively? How do we want it activated and what should stop it?" Maeve straightens, hands clasped in front of her as she waits for those who are here to share whatever thoughts they might have.
Come away little lamb come away to the slaughter
To the one appointed to see this through
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
The steely-haired, dark-skinned mermanta arrived via the canal system, occasionally submerging himself as he waited for the meeting to begin. He was curious as always, and had begun to grow attached to the drylanders of the coast. They had helped the merfolk and now there was a chance for him to return the favor. When Maeve spoke he listened intently, giving her words careful thought before he raised himself high enough out of the water to be heard clearly.

"The Hale Ka'aila is close to the center of Torchline. From there, the constellation can easily reach cities of both shore and water." He paused, then tilted his head in quiet acknowledgment of the risk. "And if enemies try to destroy it to prevent it from being used, innocent people will not be caught in the violence, as they were in Stormbreak."

There were a great many questions asked all at once, and Hadama's brow furrowed slightly as he considered the other three. "In other lands there are powerful demigods to help them fight. But since there are none here, an offensive constellation could help. I would ask that we choose one that could fight underwater as well as on shore." He looked from Maeve to the others gathered and bowed his head deeply. "And that the activation and ending of it be something that can be used by merfolk as well as shorefolk. Can it be keyed to only respond to citizens of Torchline?"
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray shook her head from where she stood near Maeve, "The Hale Ka'aila does sound like a good option given that it is near the center. But when the tide is in, few on land will be able to access it. I think the on the edge of the water just outside of Haulani would be best.  Those on land and water could access it then with relative ease." Although putting it close to the city had dangers, the coast on the outskirts was hopefully far enough away to avoid unwanted collateral.

The activation bit was the most difficult to decide on in Ray's opinion. She hummed in thought, "I agree that an offensive option would be best. But maybe not keyed into every citizen? At least not without some other aspect to prevent it from being turned on us." Traitors and spies within the city were always a possibility that needed to be accounted for.
They have not
forgotten this
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper

Harper arrives on time, which is a miracle unto itself given how Jude had refused to sleep the night before, colicky and wailing. His eyes are bruised but the set of his shoulders is hard and determined. He may be exhausted, but Harper is firm in his determination to succeed at this. At being a new, single father. At being a councilman. A friend. A follower of Safrin. They are all heavy burdens to bear, but he is strong enough to weather them all. He has to be.

But he doesn’t have to do it alone. As he arrives, Jude in his omnipresent sling across Harper’s chest, the man ascends the stairs to Maeve without a second thought. Handing over the babe and pressing a tired kiss to the Queen’s cheek before descending them once more to Ray’s side, where he presses their shoulders companionably close. These people are his family, his confidants, and he is here to support them the same way they do in turn.

“Offensive is my vote. We can shore up defenses physically, this should be our last resort and our most powerful ace.” And he’d rather have this first and pursue defenses as a secondary regional quest. “I think the coast is more stable, and close enough to be utilized in an emergency. The triggering mechanism should have a fail safe - like Ray said, keyed to individuals would be good but then we have to ensure those individuals are kept relatively secret so they aren’t taken off the field or rendered unable to move to the mechanism.” Even clearly weary, his tone is militaristic and focused, undeniably experienced at all this. “A two stage activation would be best, and all the more reason to keep it in Haulani - the further we place it, the longer it will take for those individuals to join the fight, same with the constellation.” And those seconds are precious in war time.
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK

"With the canal system, the outskirts of Haulani would be best. The canals ain't dependent on the tides." Jack's voice drawls out like he's always been there, the captain casually seated on the side of the healing fountain, trying to strike a match to light his cigarette.

"I don't care either way if it's made for attackin' or defendin', so long as it gets rid of whatever's knockin' at our door," he continues, taking a long drag from the cigarette and relaxing his shoulders. He doesn't flick the ash into the fountain, but it's a close thing before he remembers it's, like, magic and shit.

"What if all the council members are busy?" he asks, when it comes to the triggering mechanism. "Don't want it goin' off whenever the fuck ever, but don't want it to be wasted if no one's around."
you are a quiet god
and your hunger is cavernous
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
this lighthouse I built to guide my feet has burned out and I forgot where I'm going
More often ‘n not just along for the ride these days, Raza is perched on the other side of the fountain, listenin’ and watchin’ with sleep-blurred eyes. Long night at the Hanged Man keep the barkeep far too busy to trouble herself with anythin’ outside booze and smugglin’.

“Aye,” she drawls, takin’ a sip of a water flask. “Gotta toe the line ‘tween not being activated by stupid kids an’ drunks, and not leavin’ us high ‘n dry.” What she doesn’t voice is just as tellin’, about the possibility of in-fighting in Torchline, how many groups have cycled through Governorship and how that spot was taken. The Queen thinks she’s safe. And she might be, but is anyone ever truly safe in Torchline?

“I think offensive is better, but if it’s gonna be real hard t’decide how to trigger it, just go with defensive.” No need t’try and make it perfect. It just needs to work.
RAZA
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Each person speaks their piece and Maeve listens to each word carefully even as she balances a baby on her hip. Jude fusses and babbles, little fist gripping onto her hair, tugging it lightly as he waves his fist. She rubs his back, pacing slightly along the top step, lips pressing into a thin line. "All of your suggestions are good ones..." The Nightshade begins, considering her words carefully, jade eyes flitting from each of her council members to those who were simply citizens.

"The location needs to be accessible by both those on land and sea. The edge of the Haulani has access to the canals. Like Jack said, the tides don't affect these and that would mean that the merfolk can get to it or an Attuned with an aquatic shift if necessary." As far as she was concerned, that part was settled, thinking it the best option when it came to the location of the gate. The rest was a little more tricky.

Adjusting Jude in her arms, the Nightshade looks back to Hadama this time, "Your concern the activation... I do think that the citizens of Torchline need to be able to activate it, but we can't just have anyone be able to do it. Now, having it to be only council members poses a problem too. Just as Jack said." She pauses, taking another moment to scan the small crowd. "One council member should be required for activation. Now, to keep that from being an issue, I would also propose that the members of the council elect someone to serve as a second or support for their roles."
Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips
We should just kiss like real people do
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Hadama listened to the other opinions, nodding slowly at the reminder that humans weren't always the best swimmers. "Hm. A good point."

But though he tilted his head in respectful acknowledgment of Harper's point about extra time taken to reach battle, it was not perhaps as the man had intended. "However, Haulani is not the only place that may need this guardian's help. Nor the only place there may be fighting. If the Underwater City is attacked, more of my people will be hurt waiting for the guardian to travel all the way from your city." And if attack was expected by the Ascended, they weren't limited by air and manta crystals the way those gathered today were.

His stoic expression furrowed towards a frown as he looked to the south. "Safrin has said this War will involve the gods. Perhaps their places of power will also become targets. I have heard of shrines to the Old Gods at the Rainbow Road and in the Lighthouse as well as Kaiholo. So, a compromise: if the activation mechanism can be separate from the gate itself, I still believe the gate should be placed at the Hale Ka'aila. From there it can respond most quickly to all places within Torchline. And there is less risk of the guardian itself destroying homes or businesses when it emerges. But having the activation at Haulani will be easier for more of your people and council to reach in an emergency... even if it is farther for my people to travel to." He looked up from the water and around to meet the eyes of the drylanders, perhaps hoping for some support for his suggestion... or at least, understanding.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper

Harper nods towards the only man he doesn’t know when Hadama speaks, happy to debate civilly even though he has little knowledge of the man’s culture or home. “I won’t say your concerns are unfounded, but how many visitors alone do you receive in your kingdom? Even Attuned individuals can only visit if their soul happens to reflect an animal that can remain below the surface for substantial amounts of time. We cannot account for every eventuality, nor protect every inch of Torchline, but I think we can safely assume that the war’s presence has a higher likelihood of being on land. Population alone, and number of Old God followers on land as opposed to beneath the sea need to be taken into account.” But his rebuttals, for all he believes in them, are not without empathy. “Just as it’s hard for you to help on land, it’s hard for us to provide assistance below. There is still time before war is to come - perhaps we can discuss a better way for non-mers to travel below to you?” A mass harvesting of manta crystals, or another quest from Safrin.

As for the location, well he has no rebuttals there. He has given his piece on the choice in location, and doesn’t want to turn this into a volley between him and Hadama alone, giving space for others to say anything else.
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
this lighthouse I built to guide my feet has burned out and I forgot where I'm going
Noddin’ along with Harper, Raza adds, “ ‘N no offense, but if I were gonna attack Torchline, I wouldn’t go for the Underwater City. At all.” She raises a hand to hold off immediate protests. “Ain’t sayin’ the Mers ain’t important. But yer natural advantages under water surpass any skill people might have. Swimmin’ speed, shifts, knowin’ the waters...”

Shruggin, the barkeep takes another swig of her water skin. Raza ain’t sayin the Mers’ll be fine, but they’ll be fine. Castin’ a glance to Jack, she arches a brow in a silent question, takin' great care not to roll her eyes. Is he gonna back them up? She gets what the finned guy is talkin’ about, but it just seems dumb to pretend that they’re more important in this war than they are.

It’s not like the big bad Ascended have ships or anything. They’d fry in the sun.
RAZA
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK

Jack takes another slow drag from his cigarette as he listens, basking meanwhile in how Maeve says he's right a lot of times. That stroke to the ego is always going to put him in a better mood, and he exhales smoke from between his lips and gives Raza a gentle nod. "Reckon the real problem between us and the Underwater City is a difficulty with quick an' easy communication," he says

"I stand by Haulani, by the canals. The activation doesn't really matter, not as much as someone bein' able to tell us that activation is needed in the first place. But if you insist, I'll find someone to hold the torch for me if I ain't available." She's ginger and she likes cannons and she's insane, but she'll do.
you are a quiet god
and your hunger is cavernous
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray listened as the discussion continued. Her heart went out to Hadama. "I understand your concerns and I imagine it feels like a disservice for the center of our region's weapon to be skewed away from your people. But I also still stand by it being on the edge of Haulani near the canals." She sighed and added, "The underwater city, given how hard it is for many to access, is arguably one of the most secure places in Torchline. Haulani is arguably the opposite."

As for the communication issue, Ray nodded in agreement with Jack, "We should certainly pursue a way to improve ability to communicate between land and sea at some point in the near future."

Maeve's suggestion for appointing a second seems logical. Ray considered who to ask and a few names came to mind. She'd have to ask them later.
They have not
forgotten this
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her eyes cut over to Hadama and she offers them a small smile, understanding where they're coming from, but knowing that the Underwater City wasn't the one most under threat. "The others are right. While I know it is a scary thought to think you're undefended... That isn't the case. Safrin's protection will extend to the Underwater City, but we have to be consider the fact that the Ascended are very unlikely to actually attack your home." She finishes, adjusting the babe in her arms, allowing him to lay his head against her shoulder as she continues to pace back and forth along the top step.

"Now, for communication... We can establish a string of towers that can be lit upon an attack. Much like the lighthouse, they would be visible from multiple points in the city. Harper, can you be in charge of this? Given that it falls under your council position? Perhaps it's time to reconsider your job title." Maeve shifts her attention back to the rest of the gathered crowd. "As it stands, we will have it required that one council member or someone appointed by them, must be there to activate the gate along with someone else. It will be on the outskirts of the Haulani. We will work on establishing a way to communicate that the gate is needed." She finishes with a firm nod.

Post any closing statements!

I will FIN this thread in 24 hours!
Come away little lamb come away to the slaughter
To the one appointed to see this through
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He listened gravely to each and every rebuttal, and his expression didn't change as the drylanders each gave their reasons. In the end he was the only dissenting voice, and the mermanta dipped his head in acknowledgment. "I do not agree with your reasons. But I understand them," he rumbled quietly.

To the comments of drylanders wanting more access to the Underwater City he said nothing, but there was a flicker of suspicion in his eyes towards Harper. Jack's suggestion of better communication was given a more thoughtful look, and another slow nod, this time of agreement. "Indeed. I will think on options."

Turning back to Maeve he met her eyes squarely. "I will take your words to my City. And then I will return to help you build your gate." With a final bow to the gathered human council, Hadama slid back into his manta shape and swam for home.