Personal Quest {RQ} we could touch the stars
Building the Stargate
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The supplies are gathered and stacked neatly on a cart, the Nightshade having gone ahead to make sure they have everything they could possibly need for this project. Now she just needed the people. All of the volunteers she'd gathered to work on this were individuals she knew would make sure the task was done well. After seeing the work that Hamada had done with the channel to the fountain in the Court, Maeve has no doubt that their capabilities would come in handy here too.

As they start to arrive, Maeve is quick to explain the tasks the need to knockout first. "We need to find a spot along the edge of Haulani that is accessible by the canals, but far enough out of the main city that damage won't occur when the constellation passes through." She explains, spreading out a map of the area for the others to look at. "These two spots seem like good options. We'll have to scout them out, clear them of anything, and move over the supplies."

Welcome to the PQ for building the Stargate!

1. Maeve
2. Melita
3. Hadama
4. Ray

Write your character arriving and taking a task.
- Scouting area 1
- Scouting area 2
- Clearing the area
- Moving the supplies
I'm undone about to burst at my seams
'Cause I am picturing you beside me
So let me be everything that you need
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
I am the wind that makes breathing hard
Melita had been busier than ever; which was a first along Deepfrost, considering the Ark didn’t sail then and normally she’d just be hastening to assist with whatever LongNight brought (parties and booze and stupidity).

So, accompanied by her companions, she rampaged her way towards the outstretch of beach, waiting amidst the gathered, for her instructions. A very brief notion and semblance of options and choices was meant with rapt impulsivity, a sort of restlessness taking over where it likely shouldn’t have. “I’ll clear the area!” Because maybe there was something nearby that she could demolish.

And with that, the honeybee set off, intending to snag at driftwood and anything else impeding their task.

--

Mel takes over clearing the area!
I am the ocean and the battered shore
I will be the passion of thunder, a howl of fury
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 34 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 36 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The input of the merfolk might not have been heeded, but Hadama carried his report to the Underwater court and then returned at the appointed day. Whatever he thought of how it had turned out he kept to himself. Swimming up the canal to where Maeve waited he gave the Queen a courteous nod and a warm tilt of his head to Melita as she came in like a wrecking ball and rampaged off like a whirlwind, companions in tow.

He rose out of the water as far as he could stretch to look over the provided map. He studied it for several long moments. "I will take this area," he rumbled at last, pointing to the second branch on the map.

Subsiding back into the canal, he headed off in that direction and examined the banks for a likely location of the drylanders' gate.

Hadama scouts area 2
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Ray
If falling actually different
then flying?
Ray sprints over skidding to a stop next to the others just in time to hear Maeve's instructions. "I'm so sorry for being late!" The herbalist puts her hands on her knees to catch her breath before adding, "There was an absolute bitch of a customer I had to deal with." You'd think going to an apothecary meant you wanted an herbalist's opinion, right? Funny how some customers completely ignored her input and then got made when things went wrong.

Taking a look at the map that Maeve set out, Ray nods. "I can scout area 1." As they disperse, Ray shifts into her shangyang form and takes to the sky. It's her preferred shift for scouting, and she uses it to its full advantage. As she circles the area, the Attuned tries to determine if the area is suitable for the constellation and if there are any complications to choosing that spot.

~
Ray scouts area 1 with her shangyang shift.
Origional photo
Copyright Cknowles 2010
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

All of them head off on their appointed tasks and Maeve waits for her two scouts to report back before making a choice.

Ray finds the spot with ease, but the area is quickly ruled out. There is too much build up of foliage, roots, and stone to really consider it easy to clear as the jungle has spread to this portion of the land too.

Hadama, however, has much better luck. The spot is easily accessible by the canals and clear of any trees that would make it difficult to clear. There is a bit of flotsam and jetsam washed up here, dumped by storms and sailors alike, but that's where Melita comes in.

The honeybee girl, with the help of other citizens, Aidon, and Fangorn, manages to get it completely cleared out without issue. The discarded refuse set aside to be picked through, burned, and disposed of later. Maeve follows behind her with the supplies, carried on a cart and by the other hands she's hired for the day.

"Alright, Hadama, you'll be in charge of making the inlet that comes up to the gate for the merfolk to be able to reach. We'll need to level out the ground here and start laying a foundation." Maeve instructs the rest of them, deciding that they're plenty capable to split themselves among the tasks.

No posting order! Feel free to use NPCs to help you!

- Build the inlet from the canal
- Level the ground
- Lay the foundation
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Another inlet from the canals – but this one, at least, was above the ground and didn’t require a tunnel. Hadama nodded acquiescence with the task assigned him and swam to the indicated spot to examine his options.

Always, in Torchline, the question was one of stabilization.

”Boards,” he instructed a couple of the humans NPCs who had followed him to assist. ”For now. Later, we can shore up with stone. But for speed today, boards. Flat and square, as large as you can find.”

Meanwhile he marked out the width of the inlet – wide enough for the largest of his people to swim comfortably in their usual half-shift; wide enough to turn and swim back out, too, but not so wide that it would take forever to excavate.

Taking a short, broad shovel he started from the top and began to clear the dry sand and dirt first before moving down to the wetter, heavier stuff.

Hadama sends NPCs for boards to stabilize the walls of the inlet and prevent them from slipping back in, and begins to dig.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
Superior and smug with her actions and findings with no real reason, but the Cheshire, proud grin remained, the youth continued assisting with everyone else, ensuring the place was cleared out. There’d be ample supplies for future LongNight parties and pursuits, so she dusted off her hands, and clambered to the next interval of tasks.

Leveling out the ground – presuming they’d need to remove quite a few stumps, roots, and other proportions not permitting the route to be flat. Shrugging her shoulders, and nodding towards Fangorn and the rest of their assorted, assembled crew, they went right to work, pulling, heaving, and subsequently smoothing out the proportions of earth.

--

Melita and crew aim to level the ground.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
As the other get to work, Ray focuses on laying the foundation with brick and mortar. Taking some of the supplies offered, she begins to lay the first few bricks in the newly dug out section. Although she works as efficiently as she can, she takes her time to ensure that the foundation is secure. The last thing she wants is the entire structure toppling over because of its own weight.

Once the first few layers are done, Ray continues her work until the foundation is finished and it stretches about a foot off the ground and a few feet beneath.

~
Ray lays the foundation with brick and mortar.
They have not
forgotten this
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Between Ray and Melita, the girls are able to easily level the area enough to begin laying the foundation. Some sand is brought in to fill shallow dips and other parts are made flat with the heads of shovels. Soon, Ray is able to start laying the brick. Between herself and the gathered help it goes fairly quickly. Each team efficiently creating a barrier and then filling it with the necessary brick and mortar.

Hadama, on the other hand, has the most problems. Between the sand shifting with each dig of the shovel and the issues of building anything off the water in Torchline, it's slow going. Maeve decides to join him as the blanks are brought to help shore up the sand. "Focus on setting these into the walls. Otherwise the sand will just keep falling in." She instructs, showing the others what she means once there is a clear space.

"The plans for the gate are on the cart, Ray. Just follow them and start building!"

Round 3~

~Continue with the inlet
~Start building the gate
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
It's a relief when the foundation comes together smoothly. Ray had no idea that handling brick and mortar would be so similar to kneading and shaping dough, yet somehow her usual tricks for bread were coming in handy. Once the foundation is done, Ray heads to the cart. "Got 'em! I'll get started."

Taking the plans and other necessary supplies, the herbalist sets up around where the gate needs to be. From there she does her best to follow the plans. Ray takes things slow so as to limit the number of mistakes that she makes. It's one thing to build a gate, it's another to have to backtrack and trouble-shoot a terrible one.

~
Ray uses the plans and tries to build the gate.
They have not
forgotten this
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
Content with how things had gone, Melita’s eyes roamed from the inlet to gate-building, and back again. Figuring Hadama and Maeve probably had it handled, the honeybee meandered over to where Ray was working. “I’ll help!” She chirped, gaze flickering to the plans unfurling. Fangorn and Sila joined along, though the former was probably more useful with grappling vines.

From there, she opted to utilize the tools and supplies they had, following after Ray, slow and steady (a rarity for her, considering the youth was all about impulse) – for they wanted to ensure that this was done correctly, efficiently, the first time.

--

Melita assists Ray in building the gate.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
It wasn't exactly a surprise that the inlet was off to a tough start; given the angle he was trying to shovel from, Hadama couldn't get much leverage on the shovel and his attempts to shift the sandy soil were often thwarted. Maeve's assistance was welcomed with a nod of relief - and the return of the Torchers with the boards even more so.

This time he waited until the men and women had begun to plant the boards before he tried digging. It was still awkward at first - at least until if he could get down into the water level and below - but at least there was less sand slippage to undo his efforts. Attempting to work in tandem with Maeve, Hadama continued to do his best to dig and shift the soil until the mouth of the new inlet began to take shape.

Hadama continues to dig!
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It's a bad time all around. Ray and Melita start on the gate, both of them working in tandem, but unfortunately they've read the plans wrong. Maeve doesn't catch it in time, too busy trying to keep Hadama on track with his own project. Which is good for him considering that the same problem they were facing when digging the well for the Court is happening here. "Let's focus on a section at a time." Maeve says, instructing Aidon to blast the sand in the same way he did before. It helps and soon they have the inlet completed.

Only when she's finished does she realize that Ray and Melita have completely mucked up their portion. "I hate to say it, but we're going to have to start over." Thankfully they haven't made it very far at all. They'll easily be able to scratch what they have and build it back up.

Round 4~
Maeve and Hadama managed to finish the inlet!
Now we just have to build the gate!
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
It was hard work, but between mer and humans working together the inlet was completed - and none too soon. Hadama swam to the edge and asked one of the townsfolk to bring the plans over for him to look at. He considered them solemnly for a little while and then nodded.

"I can start the foundation," he offered in his rumbling way. It was a matter of strength and careful precision in placing the first and largest stones, and while he couldn't swim with such weight he could at least pull himself partially out of the canal and help to guide them into place from his ground-level viewpoint, ensuring the foundation stones were level and placed on bedrock amidst the sandstone that was solid and would not shift in future storms or volcanic quakes.

Once the foundations were in place and secure he slipped back into the water to watch the rest, unable to participate further once the gate's sides grew too high for him to reach.

Hadama helps set the gate's foundations and makes sure they're secure for the others to build up from