Mean Girls
for Finn
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Tal didn't come into the Kraai often. Place had a reputation for trouble - destruction, jealous exes, drama of the sort the youngest Seawright avoided like the plague - and there were plenty of other bars in the city to pull up a chair and a pint.

But word was that there was some new music being played, and with Deepfrost isolating the Citadel from everywhere else anything new was worth checking out.

Shedding his parka on a hook at the door, the courier ambled in and nodded to a few half-familiar faces as the guitar music drifted through the smoky air. It was too crowded to get near the stage, so he settled for pulling up a seat at the bar. He ordered a beer and settled in to listen, finger tapping on the bar top in a nervous double-rhythm along with the music.

At least, until the music stopped and the mysterious performer took a break.

Finn
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
FINN
and into the forest i go,
Never in Finn's life would he have believed he would be performing on a stage. Er, performing music, that is. His time in Halo so far has been a strange mix of comfortable and not, and with everyone's eyes on him as he plays, he's reminded vaguely of Mother Molly's, of too much skin on show and hungry gazes and touches where they weren't welcome. But this is different, because he's doing something he enjoys, and the guitar in his hand sings with the familiar notes.

It's a new guitar, because the one he'd had for over a decade burned down with the Tower. But the songs are the same. And when it's time to take a break, Finn completely avoids anyone and everyone as best he can, as if he can squirm out from under their compliments like trying to put a cat into a carrier.

It's straight to the bar with his guitar on his shoulder, the ex-Spyglass accepting an icy glass of whiskey with a soft murmur of thanks.
to lose my mind and find my soul
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Fingers continued tapping restlessly on the bartop, rhythmless now that the music had ended. A sense of movement nearby drew the courier's eyes as the stool next to him was vacated and, a moment later, a half-familiar man into it. It took Tal a moment to remember the name that went with the face he'd seen before; he had a great memory for messages and directions, but not such a talent for people. "Hey, Finn," he offered, lifting his ale with a nod.

Pale eyes flicked to the guitar on the other man's back and a brow went up in curiosity. "Plannin' to follow that last act? Don't envy you that." After a moment's reflection he realized that was maybe a bit harsh. "Lookin' forward to hearing it, though. Guess you're more than just a fancy librarian, huh?" Not... a lot better, but an effort was made?
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
FINN
Having been focused on the pleasant heat in his fingers from playing, and the icy burn in the back of his throat from the whiskey, to say that Finn is startled by the sound of a voice beside him is an understatement. He almost inhales the alcohol he's been savouring, managing not to blatantly choke, but having to clear his throat a few times before raising his glass in return. "Good evening," he murmurs, his voice rough.

A fancy librarian, though? Finn blinks at the courier, as if he doesn't understand how his former role as a researcher relates to the archiving and organisation of reading materials. And then he blinks some more, because he's trying to understand how he might follow himself on stage. "Oh," he says suddenly, aware that he has been silent for some time now. "Oh, I... that was... I am just taking a break." Lame? Doesn't make that much sense? Hello, it's Finn Rosencrantz at your service.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal initially looked at Finn quizzically, but as the silence stretched it got increasingly uncomfortable until the courier cleared his throat and looked down into his mug with awkward intensity. Yep. That sure was some interesting ale.

The voice that jumped out again without warning made him jerk a little in surprise and he looked up, blinking. "Break...? Oh! Shit, man, that was you?" Tal rubbed the back of his neck, finding an apologetic grin. "Uh. Sorry. It sounded real good. The tune kinda reminded me a little of a Safrin song my mom used to sing. Back when we thought the heralds were never comin' back." Those were simpler times, that was for sure.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
Tal rescues them both whether he intends to or not, and Finn lets out a breath that's far longer and heavier than intended, because now he doesn't have to explain himself. "Yes," he says instead, allowing a small smile to curl across his lips. "I come and play here most nights, now. I am glad you enjoyed it." And he is, genuinely. Music has been an antidote to the venom in his veins for a very long time, now, and if it helps others, he is equally as pleased for them.

"Did it? I have been listening to a few of the songs from Halo as inspiration. It is diffcult to know how much of the original music sneaks in. Safrin's songs seemed popular, though," he agrees, smiling into his whiskey before remembering things like courtesy and reciprocation. "How have you been?" he asks.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The mug left a light ring of condensation on the bar top when Tal lifted it for another drink. Compliment was given and accepted and he didn't know what else to say. Setting the mug back down a few inches away, he slid his fingertips into the little puddle and began pushing it around in patternless doodles on the wood surface, fingers never still.

Inspiration in the form of a half-remembered melody struck to save the conversation, and the courier nodded his complete lack of understanding of things musical, pretending otherwise. "Yeah, she's really pretty and seems like a nice lady. Goddess. Uh... person? Just... mm. I dunno. I've been hearing things..." He trailed off, scowling uncomfortably down into his drink before it was Finn's turn to rescue him with a neutral question, and Tal gave a lopsided grin. "Tryin' t'stay busy. Hate bein' snowed into the Citadel this time of year, but with all the war talk, there's lots t'do, at least. Helps keep my mind off things. How about you? Gettin' settled?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
"She does seem that way," Finn agrees with the air of someone with similar doubts, and he breathes into his whiskey before taking another sip. "She was very pleasant when I met her, any way. But..." He shakes his head softly. "It felt as though her gifts were trying to get me into trouble." It's only because he's been able to speak and interact with other heralds that he feels comfortable saying as much. The alcohol is probably helping, too.

Beiing snowed in is also something very new to the ex-Spyglass, and he nods quiet agreement regarding all things war and weather. "I think so," he says about settling in. "I have found a routine, and I feel as though I am doing things I enjoy. It isn't easy, though."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal chewed his lip, glaring down into his ale as if it had kicked one of his dogs. On the one hand... but on the other... "What kind of trouble?" he couldn't stop himself from asking, with all the fascination of watching an avalanche starting to roll and not knowing if it would be a small slide of snow or a roaring cascade that tore out trees and reshaped mountain sides.

As for the timey-wimey side of the conversation, the courier just nodded. "Routines are good," he agreed, and gave Finn what he hoped was a supportive - and not constipated - smile. Then he took another drink of his ale, hoping the social lubricant would start kicking in soon.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
They are of a similar constitution it seems, especially when it comes to social lubricant, because Finn's drink is disappearing in record time. It isn't even wholly intentional; drinking gives him something to do with his hands and it stops him fretting over the silence between the shreds of their conversation. Regardless, if they keep this pace, Tal might find Finn to be a marginally better conversationalist in the near future.

But as for Safrin and trouble... "Well, she asked me to take care of something for her - a barn owl. It started out quite simply, but then the owl began to misbehave. I ended up needing to sneak into my superior's office, at one point. It wasn't... I didn't feel good about it." He furrows his brow. "It has made it difficult to approach Safrin again, for anything. I have become more aligned with Frey, recently."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal wrapped both hands around his mug in an effort to still his restlessness, but just ended up pushing it back and forth on the bartop between them instead as he listened to the task that Finn had been set. He nodded more in commiseration than understanding at the guilt; at least until he thought about doing something similar to his father or Deimos. Then he grimaced and gave a more sincere bob of his head.

"D'you think she knew it was gonna do that?" His own brow furrowed in subconscious mirror to Finn's. "Was it some sorta loyalty test, or something like that?" Was Finn more loyal to his mortal boss or the goddess? It sounded like he'd chosen Safrin but...

Maybe for the first and last time.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
"I don't know," Finn admits, finding himself with an empty glass in the next couple of minutes and automatically pushing it across the bar to be refilled. "I am not sure how she wouldn't have known. She is a goddess, after all." And why else would she have Finn take care of the owl if it wasn't going to test him in some way? He isn't even certain that he passed whatever test she set.

"Perhaps not a loyalty test, but... forcing me outside of my comfort zone, perhaps. Either way, I can't say that I enjoyed it very much. At the same time, though, I suppose it isn't the same as being cursed, right?" Unless the owl was the curse.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal took a drink while Finn talked and his fingers started tapping restlessly against the side of the mug as he set it back down, glaring into his ale a faint frown. "Didn't think about it like that," he mumbled at the reminder that gods and goddesses could eavesdrop whenever they liked.

It wasn't a comfortable thought. Not even remotely.

His frown turned more thoughtful at Finn's next words though, and his nod was slow but understanding. "Think she did the same to me... pushing me out of my comfort zone." A long, long ways out of it, in a very physical sense. He shook his head, and flashed a brief, crooked grin towards the musician. "Cheers to not bein' cursed, though. Did you hear about the guy who was cursed to have his fingers and toes swapped for a whole season?" Unverified gossip offered with a grim sort of humor and a fervent wish to avoid such a fate himself.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
Finn would also prefer not to think about it that way, honestly. He's staring into his second drink, listening to the gentle tapping of Talyson's fingers against his mug when the other man speaks again. "Ah," he says, almost apologetically, "I didn't realise you had met her personally as well. I hope I haven't soured your opinion." The last thing he wants to do is to get into Safrin's bad books when he isn't even in her presence.

The gossip is a nice distraction at least, however disturbing, and the way Finn's brows furrow tell that he's already thinking of the implications of fingers-for-toes in far too much detail. "I had not," he confesses. "How did he get anything done? And where did he put his shoes?"