undone affection
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper
Things have been easier since he and Jude moved in with Maeve. It's not unexpected, though the comforts they give one another are. Still, it works for them, and so Harper refuses to feel guilty for the lack of explanation they have for the eccentricities of their relationship. Not much changes in Harper's life - he still sticks to his training regime that only he is strict enough to care about, he still goes about his courtly duties as a councilman. But now, he gets to come home to another pair of hands, a baby whose growth is seen and appreciated by eyes other than his own. He feels less like a ghost in his own body, and more like a man again.

He and Maeve occupy the same bed more often than not throughout the week. It's still mostly platonic, admittedly, but it makes it easier to murmur into her dark hair the night before that the following day is to be for them. He already knows both of their schedules, knows it's a possibility for both of them, and he refuses to answer her probing questions before he drops off into the abyss of sleep.

As such he awakens first, ever an earlybird. He leaves Maeve and Jude sleeping, and goes to cook them all breakfast - Jude's, of course, being in a bottle. And then he brings it into the bedroom on a tray, where he places it on the space in the bed he'd once occupied and climbs in just enough to press small kisses to Maeve's face to encourage her into wakefulness. "We've got a full day ahead of us, Mae-bell. Rise and shine, I made omelettes." And tea, because she won't get out of bed without it, but she knows by now that he'd never make such a grave error as forgetting it. Harper's love is shown in the ways he knows people - committing anything and everything to memory, to live eternal in his mind - and he shows it every day he possibly can. Today may be a day for them, not just him or her or Jude alone, but some things can't be trained out of him.
When you're lost I'll show you the way back home
I'll stay until the morning comes, and show you how to live again
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

They form a new norm. A routine that’s so easy to fall in to, the queen is left to wonder how they ever existed outside of out. Harper wakes earlier than she does, preparing their breakfast, making her tea, and getting Edmund off to school before he returns to see her and Jude off before he tends to his own work. Jude stays with Maeve, spending his days on her hip or in his bassinet in her office when she cannot hold him. He thrives with the two of them. Each day growing a bit more. Each night is ended with a bedtime story and with Maeve in Harper’s arms, telling him everything about her day, not daring to leave out a single detail when it came to Jude. These talks are often ended with a kiss goodnight before she nuzzles against his chest, falling asleep wrapped in his arms, but other times it's finding comfort in each other's bodies.

They don’t talk about what they’re doing. Simply choosing to exist. It works for them.

That’s why it doesn’t surprise her when he pulls her close after another day, murmuring intentions of taking time just for them against her curls as he molds himself to her back, tucking her smaller frame against his front. Maeve had tried to get a hint out of him. Attempting to entice him with kisses and wandering hands, whispered bribes against the curve of his throat, but eventually she had let it be. Instead following behind him with a sigh, curling up in his arms and getting some of the best sleep she’s had in ages.

It’s with gentle kisses pressed to her face that rouses her the next morning. Grumbling softly at being awoken and attempting to roll over to bury her face into the pillow, but finding herself unable to resist his affections, the Nightshade comes to. Sleep heavy arms wrap around his neck and she slowly blinks awake, curls tousled as she looks up at him with hazy jade eyes. ”You’re lucky I love you so much.” The queen huffs affectionately, tugging him down for a lazy kiss, humming against his lips before she draws back to look up at him. He seems lighter than he has in weeks and it brings a new warmth to her bones. They're good for each other. It becomes clearer with each passing day.

”Tell me, darling, what have you planned for us today?” She asks, releasing him to sit up against the pillows, instantly reaching for the tea and sighing as it warms her throat once she takes a sip. It's just the way she likes it. A splash of cream, finished with her lavender honey, and cooled enough that she doesn't burn herself on it.
the only heaven I'll be sent to
is when I'm along with you
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
Her reluctance is familiar, grumbles and crinkled brow practically anticipated to the second with how they have become second nature to his morning routine. Harper remains undaunted in his winning streak of rousing the Queen however, and when she emerges from the blankets bed-tousled and bleary-eyed, his smile is soft with an unspeakable fondness. That smile presses itself easily to her own mouth as she pulls him down, dropping to his elbows from his palms to better accommodate her demands, laughter muffled against her lips.

“I know I know, count my blessings and all that,” he responds cheekily, having heard most of her mild threats and complaints that always emerge when she is being reluctantly awoken. Scooting up to the headboard to join her in their meal, Harper sipping at his own coffee in contrast to her tea. Chuckling at her eagerness, he lifts an idle hand to gently comb through her hair, fingertips tracing against her scalp in mindless self-indulgence. “If you haven’t gotten it out of me yet, what makes you think you’ll get it now?” it’s muffled around the rim of his mug, but his smirk is entirely apparent, blue eyes mischievous.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

For all of her grumbling and groaning, Maeve is fairly easy to rouse, but that's only because Harper has cracked the code. Breakfast, tea, and an affectionate smile is all it takes for her to willingly untangle herself from her cocoon of blankets. The kiss is just extra and Maeve cherishes it more than anything. With the tea in her hands and a content warmth spreading through her chest, she can't even find it in herself to be playfully irritated by his denial. Leaning lightly into his touch, unable to help herself, the Nightshade takes up a piece of toast slathered with strawberry jam. Taking a bite of the toast, Maeve hums softly, shaking her head at him.

"The fact that you love me more than anything?" The queen quips, grinning over at him as she leans lightly against his side, quickly finishing off her toast. The eggs are next and while Maeve was never a breakfast person before, she's slowly become one thanks to Harper's cooking. It's one of the many things he's made better in her life.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
His own food is not touched until he's halfway through his coffee and Maeve has toast to her own mouth. It's heartier, but only because his training regime requires far more protein than Maeve's. A hand lifts to gently wipe away a smudge of strawberry jam from the corner of her mouth, followed by a quick kiss to the same area.

Lounging easily beside her, Harper chuckles at her playful comment. "You just want to hear me say it you minx," he laughs before finishing his coffee in one long swig. Setting the cup aside, he returns to playing with her hair with one hand as he eats with the other. "Of course I do, but you'll have to linger in suspense a while longer - you're not getting any sneak peeks to the schedule." Finishing his own food with the militaristic swiftness of someone who had been trained not to dawdle at mealtimes, he sets his own plate back on the tray and presses a kiss to Maeve's temple - how many kisses was that now? - and agilely hopping off the bed. "I've already got your outfit picked out since I have the benefit of knowing what we're doing. I'll go feed Jude while you finish and dress, 'kay?" And with a bright smile he goes to do just that, his trailing comment being, "Meet me in the sitting room!"

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Hopeless and lost, the souls of many long departed whisper their death rattles on the wind. Hope is gone for these already-dead, but still their screams linger.

Gods, it's so dark.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

His thumb brushes at the corner of her mouth and it’s quickly followed by his lips. She finds her lips curling into a smile as she chases after his lips eagerly, ”Can you blame me? Sounds so good coming from you.” She purrs playfully, wrinkling her nose at him as she bares her teeth before turning back to her meal. It’s not a lie. Maeve loves hearing it from him and she doesn’t care to hide the fact either.

Maeve pouts, cutting into her smaller omelet and taking a bite, humming as it practically melts in her mouth. How was he such a good cook? It was a mystery. The Nightshade sighs, feigning annoyance at his words, ”Fine. I’ll play by your rules this time.” Maeve concedes, turning her attention back to her food and away from her lover once more.

With a 5th? 6th? kiss pressed to her skin, Harper withdraws from her and she smiles easily, adoration clear in her jade gaze as he slips away from her and towards the door. ”Oui ma lumière,” comes her reply as she finishes off the last of her meal and moves to he dressing table.

Sure enough he’s already laid out an outfit for her. One of her many swimsuits, black of course, as well as a flowing white top that falls off her shoulders to expose the milky expanse of skin and her delicate collarbones. The ensemble is finished with a simple pair of linen shorts and sandals that are perfect for traversing their home. Maeve takes a moment to brush her hair, quickly plaiting the hair at her temples, creating an intricate and lovely crown of hair that falls in loose curls to the small of her back.

Maeve joins him about ten minutes later, swooping onto Jude with a gasp of delight at seeing him, ”Et comment vas-tu aujourd'hui, mon petit soleil? Viens voir maman,” the Nightshade coos, the foreign language sounding like music as it rolls off her tongue. It earns her a laugh from a babe that has her smile growing as she presses another kiss to his cheek. ”Did daddy get you all ready for the day?”
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
The endearment makes him glow from within as if summoned by the choice in name, and he spares her a soft look over his shoulder before he shuts the door behind him to give her the privacy she needs to ready herself for the day. He may have seen her in all manner of dress, but he’s a gentleman all the same.

Jude greets him happily, waving little fists in the air that latch onto his clothes as soon as Harper is close enough to be grabbed. Chuckling, he noses the thickening hair on the babe’s head. Already five months old, he was beginning to babble and already knew his and Maeve’s faces. It amazed Harper how quickly he was growing, how fast the human mind could develop. His heart felt swollen with love as he fed his son, imagining the swiftly approaching days when Jude would be able to test out solid foods. He wants so desperately to know his son’s favorites, his quirks and dislikes, to see him begin to develop a personality all his own. Once fed Harper gets him dressed, wrestling with the wriggly, chubby arms and blowing happy bubbles on the babe’s belly.

So absorbed in interacting with his son - as happens embarrassingly often - he doesn’t notice Maeve’s approach for a moment, though when he does he grins and happily hands over Jude when she swoops down eagerly upon the babe. Jude giggles excitedly, very newly capable of the feat and exemplifying it every day as he wrinkles his nose up at Maeve and clutches at her blouse. “Wriggly as always,” he comments playfully, leaving Jude in Maeve’s arms to retrieve the picnic basket and backpack he left on the sitting room table. Returning to Maeve he loops an arm around her waist and kisses her cheek. “Ready to go? Want me to bring the sling or stroller?” He already has most of Jude’s supplies in the backpack, but the larger items remained in the entryway closet for them to retrieve as they went out the door depending on if Maeve wanted to dedicate to playing pass-the-baby. Neither of them ever seemed to mind - both of them always wanting Jude close, unbothered by the burden of having their arms full.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve laughs softly, nuzzling the babe’s cheek lightly, ”Such a strong boy! Just tell daddy you’re going to be a dancer like mummy.” She coos, shifting him to her hip as she turns to Harper with an arched brow. ”Am I going to need my hands free?” Maeve asks, head tilting to the side as she bounces him easily in her arms, already thinking that the sling would be the best choice for them. ”I’ll take the sling.” The queen finally decides on, waiting for Harper to get it out so they can secure Jude to her chest and leave her hands free once more.

Noting the backpack and picnic basket, Maeve can’t help the smile that curls on her lips as he presses the kiss to her cheek, arm around her waist. ”I’m excited to see what you have planned for us.”
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
It aches to hear her say it sometimes, to know Jude will grow up never knowing Phoebe’s face or voice. Makes him question anew what they are to each other every time it’s spoken. He never objects, can’t deny that Maeve is effectively Jude’s mother, but his heart never forgets. He is too loyal a man. All he can be grateful for is that Jude will never have to bear the burden - that he shoulders it for his son’s sake. So he grins and doesn’t dwell on the darker thoughts, reaching out to playfully grab Jude’s hand and kiss it loudly. “No no no, you’re going to be an acrobat like daddy, he stresses, smiling up at Maeve from his bent position.

Straightening, he obediently retrieves the sling and helps Maeve get into it. It’s adjustable in case they need to swap out throughout the day, but for now he’s happy to be the pack mule for the heavier things. “I hope it’ll live up to your expectations,” he teases as he ushers them out the door, though there’s no small amount of sincerity lingering beneath.

The first thing outside the door is a small horse drawn wagon. Harper grins cheekily and ushers the little family in, taking the reigns himself to get them heading off down the streets. It’s a beautiful day despite the lingering chill, but Harper wants to get them farther from their home - they see these same places all the time, utilizing many as date night equivalents. He keeps an easy conversation with Maeve as they travel, waving and greeting those who notice them from the streetside without pausing in their journey. He slows at the farthest end of the beach, where he hitches the horse and helps Maeve out of the cart. “Some of the fishermen found this little cove recently - the storms broke open the front rock face and it was hollow inside. The water is warmer and shallower so Jude can be with us, and just wait until you see the inside,” he grins, excited for that particular surprise. Taking Maeve’s hand he leads her down the beach towards the water. “We have to wade in, but it shouldn’t be up to your shorts.” Even with her diminutive stature.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve knows it hurts him. Phoebe being gone. The fact that Jude won’t ever know her the way that he should. Her heart breaks for both of them, but deep down Maeve knows that they could be good for each other. That they are good for each other. They could build a life and be happy. Still, Maeve can’t help feeling guilty for slipping into this role that wasn’t hers. ”Or maybe he’ll dance across tight ropes and take after both of us.” The queen hums, holding his gaze for a moment.

”I have no doubt it will.” The Nightshade murmurs, holding Jude steady while Harper straps him onto her chest. She follows him outside, taking his hand and stepping up into the wagon.

The whole ordeal sounds delightful and her excitement only grows whenever they finally arrive. Once more taking his hand, Maeve steps out of the wagon, feet finding solid ground once more. ”You really did think of everything, huh?” Following after him, Maeve stops at the edge, taking off her sandals as to not get them wet. One hand braces against Jude’s back and the other takes ahold not Harper’s. ”Just don’t let me go.”
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
It seems fitting that they talk of Jude’s future given what lingers on Harper’s mind these days, but he bites it all back in favor of focusing on the day’s plans. Jude is an undeniably happy, unfussy baby. After the colic of the last season, he had smoothed out into a young child that hardly ever cried or fussed. It made for easy travel, the boy gazing around with his big eyes from Maeve’s chest.

“I sure tried,” Harper chuckles as Maeve takes his hand and steps out of the wagon, continuing their hold as they wander down the beach. Pausing to remove his own shoes as well, he hooks them to the backpack so he can brace Maeve with one hand in hers and the other around her back. I’m that position, he leans down towards her ear from behind. “Never,” he promises softly, a world of meaning behind the word.

The water is cold as they walk in, but it’s a temporary thing as their bodies adjust. The mouth of the cavern is jagged, but had been cleared of most of the debris on his orders. The water begins to warm as it shallows out into the cave, the silt soft and untouched beneath their feet as they move inside. Above, mineral deposits glitter like stars from the ambient sunlight outside as the shade of the cave overtakes them. The sides gradually move higher into the cavern walls, making a gradient depth pool with rock to sit on at the sides. Harper places the bags on the dry rock as soon as Maeve is stable in the shallows, and then moves to take both of her hands this time - Jude cradled between his chest and hers as he gazes down into her eyes. “Stars in the daytime, seemed fitting for us,” he murmurs, heart shining through his eyes as his scarred hands squeeze hers gently.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It’s only one word. Two syllables. Five letters. Yet it held a world of meaning. Weight that Maeve couldn’t explain. Warm and real and bright. Her breath catches in her throat and her heart swells with so much love she’s sure it’ll burst. Briefly her mind flits to all of those who’ve tried to capture her heart. Those who briefly held it. Yet none of them compare to this. To him.

With careful steps Maeve wades through the water, the silt silky beneath her feet and his hand firm on the small of her back as she holds Jude steady with each step. He releases her briefly to deposit their stuff onto the rocks and she misses his touch instantly. It’s only a moment before he’s back, taking her hands in his and drawing her closer, urging her eyes upwards. The twinkling of the crystals dance in the jade of her eyes and across her skin as the sun lights them both up. ”They are. It’s like they’re shining just for us.” Maeve whispers, eyes falling to his as she takes a small step forward until they’re almost nose to nose if it wasn’t for the baby between them.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
He has no way of knowing how much it means, he can only see the way her shoulders swell with the sharp intake of her breath, see the shine in her eyes when she is done taking in the cave and turns to him. He can read her, and in that he sees the weight of his words. Part of that is training forced upon him, but the rest is simply time. Closeness. Seeing her in every facet of her life until her expressions are memorized to the minutia.

As she steps closer he obligingly tilts their foreheads to rest against each other, closing his eyes and smiling peacefully. “I wanted you to be the first to see them before the public got wind of it. So for now it really is just for us.” It’s murmured into the sparse space between them, existing only because of Jude. He squeezes her hands gently before pulling back, realizing his sentimentality is quite literally keeping her from seeing the sights. Grinning sheepishly he tilts his head towards their feet. “The shallowest parts are safe for Jude, or I can hold him and we can swim a little. The walls and shallow water make it far warmer than the rest of Torchline right now - it’s still a mystery why it’s so cold.” Here he frowns slightly, because that particular hurdle had been infinitely irritating when planning the day.