so long and goodnight
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
There is no sun or moon at LongNight, but the Greatwood has its own tricks and treats. Vai is gathering hardy flowers that glow as if infused with moonlight, on her knees in a dense and dark patch of the woodland. Fireflies and wisps drift through the naked branches and settle in her dark hair, giving her further illumination to work by as she carefully unearths one of the plants.

Loosening the roots from the cold dirt and snow and carefully placing it in her basket, she plans to replant a few of them around her cottage. They will make a nice addition each Longnight, she thinks. Humming under her breath and moving on to the next flower, the witch feels an almost obscene sense of peace as she goes about her task. It's as if she's exactly where she's meant to be.
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
& doesn't the white page seem unfinished
without the dark stain of alphabets?
The flutter of wings on this darkened LongNight is not out of the ordinary. Birds do not hibernate after all, and it has been years since this particular bird has required sleep. His wings make hardly a sound, but just as parents' ears' are fine-tuned to the sound of their own children's voices, so too will the witch likely recognize these particular wing-beats. Shifting gracefully such that his feet touch down upon the snow without hurry, Remi offers the witch a boyish smile as bright and cheerful as any she might have seen from him in the past.

Neither the oldest nor youngest of Vai's biological or adopted children, whatever else might be said of his relationship with her, possessive is certainly in the running. "Hallo." He says smoothly, green eyes shiny and adoring as he stretches his arms out towards her.
the lullaby
Styling stolen from Sky (obviously)
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
It's true; no sooner than the sound of wingbeats reaches her ears, Vai is rising to her feet, a smile blooming across her face as she turns to face Remi. "Ciao, Remi," she trills in the travelling tongue, opening her arms as well and stepping into his embrace.

Giving him an adoring squeeze, she takes a moment to breathe him in before stepping back to look him over. "It feels like too long since I saw you last," she says, beaming and reaching up to give his cheek a soft pinch.

"Would you like to help me gather some of these flowers? I'm going to plant them around the cottage," she says, motioning for him to follow and come to help her. "How have you been? How are Ronin and Mateo?"
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Her skin against his sets the alchemist's mind at ease, and as her fingers reach to pinch at his cheek he covers it with his own, savouring the feeling. "I think I could do that." Remi agrees with an immediate smile, letting his hand fall from his cheek with Vai's still wrapped within it.

Instantly there is a basket in his other hand to place the blooms in, and though Remi is normally one to wander, today he sticks close to the witch acting as her own shadow in this lightless night. "I have been well. I can do this now—" So saying Remi drops her hand and retreats a step or two so that the flames that lick up his arms won't burn her. Firelight sparks in his green eyes before it's gone again and the world returns even darker than it was before.

"Ronin and Mateo are very well. Mateo is all mischief and grand schemes...nothing at all like either of us." Remi's dimples deepen at that as he offers Vai a shrug that suggests he knows how bold of a lie this was.
the lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
Giving his hand a squeeze, it's with a cheerful smile and a quiet sort of serenity that Vai returns to her basket, collecting her next flower and turning to glance at Remi only as he speaks. "You can-- oh, that's very impressive!" she says with a raise of her eyebrows. "Look at you, all grown up. I still remember when even being something like a lion was a big step for you."

Another flower is transferred carefully into her basket, Vai humming out a content sigh that tapers off into a chuckle as he continues about Mateo and Ronin. "Oh, absolutely not. I can't imagine where he must get it from," she agrees with a raise of her eyebrows. "Still, at least he's still at the age where his grand schemes don't get him in too much trouble, right?"
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Rolling his eyes adoringly, Remi is forced to nod in agreement. "I still remember when you and Ronin had to throw me into a pit to keep me contained while I worked through that shift. Now..." Glancing down at his hands, able to turn into claws, fire, or wisps of smoke now, Remi finds his smile turning somewhat crooked. "Now it isn't like anything at all." He muses a touch sadly.

Unreality begins to bend softly around them in hard-to-distinguish ways. The flowers grow in unsteady angles and are more brightly coloured than they have any right to be—though perhaps that has more to do with the warm light glowing softly from the east. All of this happens both quickly and glacially the way it is wont to do with dreams, and Remi at least, pays it no mind. "Well....I am not sure I would go that far." He replies with a grin as he places a large flower with a face like a dragon into his basket.

"We might have to build you a fence one of these days or you will have all manner of critters in your garden." Remi says, gesturing at their baskets.
the lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
Remi doesn't notice, but Vervain does. The witch and huntress is perfectly attuned to the elements and the wilderness, and with the strange angles of the flowers (and different types of flowers, for that matter), along with the ethereal light that seems to be peeking its fingers through the trees, she finds herself quietly smiling. "That isn't true," she says. "It is like everything. You have grown so much, Remi - never forget that. I still see the young man on my doorstep in Northaven, though, for what it's worth."

Chuckling and rising to her feet in the snow, the witch steps over to admire the dragon headed flower Remi has rescued. Stroking her finger along its petals, she smirks as the flower huffs a wisp of smoke. "I suppose Mateo can get into trouble no matter what age he's at," she agrees.

Wrinkling her nose at the idea of a fence, Vai steps away to retrieve her basket. "A fence would feel wrong. You can't put a fence around the wild, Remi," she says, grinning over her shoulder at him. "Now why are you sneaking into my dreams, pray tell?"
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
'And what of the hawk, drenched beneath a tree in the forests, unable to make his way home?' Remi wonders, his voice growing quick tender and soft. He had lashed out at the huntress back then, terrified and on death's doorstep. Now, so many years later, he was back just where he had been, only it wasn't his hand on the doorknob this time.

However he might have stretched time into a long and eternal point of light that they could have shared, is now irrelevant as the witch calls him out on his tricks. Smiling, though the curl of his lips is one that suddenly feels very heavy indeed, the alchemist sets his basket down into the grasses which hurriedly rise to swallow it up. 'Because time moves more slowly here.' He explains, voice soft and eyes downcast near flowers that threaten to bloom blood red at Vai's feet. With a slight shake of his head, he paints them golden, before raising a tear-bright stare back to the witch's face.

"Because I promised to always protect you." Taking a step forward as more and more light filters down through the trees, Remi reaches for one of her hands. "And because I love you." This is said in barely a whisper as the Lullaby's magic keeps away the effects of the poison already at work on the witch's body, where she lays in her bed.
the lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Him, too," Vai says warmly, her smile rounding her cheeks at the memory. "Your hawk was always my favourite." She recalls the sodden weight of him on her shoulder, the soft trill as he responded to the fairytail she'd been telling him on the way back to town from the dense woodland. But her memory fades as the dream takes hold, and the sight of Remi's tear bright eyes has her closing the distance between them in seconds.

Pushing his hands away in lieu of a tight embrace, Vai's emotions are raw and sad and understanding. "I love you too," she whispers, drawing back enough to cup his cheeks. "Very, very much," she adds, before letting out a soft, shaky sigh. "How bad is it?"
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
In this dream landscape where so much was under his control, Remi had thought—naively as it turned out—that he might be able to stave off his tears until later. With Vai in his arms however, his tears came hot and in the wake of razor blades as he held her close. Gazing down at her, red-cheeked and boyish, Remi tries for a smile that's as unconvincing as the dragon-headed flower had been. "—" He tries through dry lips, before smiling apologetically and trying again.

"A group from Stormbreak had heard of a witch in these parts. Ronin is changing things in Stormbreak to allow abandoned, and..." Remi closes his eyes and gives his head a small shake. "...racism is not so easily erased." He adds. "In just a few hours they will break into your cabin to kill you, or...they would have, had I not been here first."
the lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
Vai, strong and capable for her children as she might be, is not immune to the grief and shock of death. And this is about as personal as it gets.

Remi is not the only one in tears as he tries once, twice, to explain, the witch crying quietly even as she tries to wipe gently at his cheeks. "The Stormbreak refugees?" she asks thickly, both able and unable to comprehend such a thing. "In your woods. In our home."

Shaking her head, she absently smooths out an invisible wrinkle on Remi's shirt, inhaling a long breath before continuing. "Ludo told you, before it could happen?" she guesses. Which means it would not have been the quick, simple sort of death that most would expect.

"I was going to wake up early and feed the luxere," she mumbles.
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The fire the alchemist feels in the pit of his belly threatens to cease being metaphorical, and it takes a deep breath and sharp mental shake to keep himself from bursting into flames. "The very ones." He agrees in a low voice that shakes with rage, before nodding mutely. As in dreams he's shared with Ronin, here and now with Vai is both so very real and yet impossibly fake. The smell of autumn and cloves that cling to her hair are present only because his mind wants them to be. In reality the witch likely smells of snowmoss, tea, and the sort of warmth that comes from a constantly crackling hearth.

"They will be fed." Remi mumbles of the luxere, trying not to give into the emptiness that thought brought with it; he would indeed feed the luxere, but it would be n a world within which Vai was no longer alive.

Gods..

"I am so sorry, Vai.." He tries, as if his apology could change anything. "Were I to stop them...you would meet an even worse fate that I would not be told of." Remi explains as if it might do any good, before closing his eyes against the sharp tears streaming down his cheeks.
the lullaby
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
Vai can only nod mutely at the confirmation. It fits, she supposes; life, for all of its wonders, is still impeccably cruel at times. Sometimes especially at the end. "So this is it, then," she whispers, and then, "I am glad that it was you." Reaching into her pocket, she withdraws a handkerchief smelling of rose petals and lavender, reaching up to gently dab at his cheeks.

"No, sweetie," she says with a smile that, while wobbly, is nonetheless filled with conviction. "It's okay to be sad, but don't you ever be sorry. None of this is your fault." Whether he believes it or not. "I am proud of you - proud of all my children. If it really is time to go, then at least I can go knowing that all of you are alright."
and the sun
will rise
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Around her, Remi's arms begin to shake as all of the muscles in his body tense at once as if to keep steady the floodgates of his emotions which are badly fracturing. "Gods, I should be the one comforting you." He says through a gasp that vaguely resembles a wilted laugh. Wanting to decimate an entire forest with his sorrow, Remi does as much as he can to remain soft and gentle. "I do not want you to go." He cries, softly and perhaps unfairly.

Pressing his teeth together, Remi shoots a helpless look up into the sky. "I hope you know how loved you are. In all pockets of this stupid world, you have been so very loved." Returning his gaze to her, Remi forces out the words around the sob in his throat. "Your strength and kindness...your cunning...it..." Gods why hadn't he planned out what he wanted to say? Why hadn't he written the words in stars for her to read instead of blubbering just a few feet from her doorstep?

"...you.." He tries again, shivering. "...will never be forgotten.."
the lullaby