First Aid is needed
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 19 - Int: 0
Mahariel - Regular - Black Panther
Played by: Lostdream Offline
Change author:
MP: 515
Blackeye
Not the strongest win the battle —
Darkeye had a very precise idea of who he could ask for the first help for the queste that Frey had given him. He went back to the infirmary and hoped that he could find Isla there who could show him the knowledge. It might not be bad to have such skills in the future.

He hoped that this time it would not become such a conversation again. It was also a question of the price she wanted to pay for the knowledge. He had taken the precaution of a few Landhai teeth and skin with him. maybe it would also be possible to fulfill her a diest for it. "Hello Isla I hope I am not disturbing you. I need help and thought you might know someone. I would like to learn first aid and hope that someone can take the time," he said kindly.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
Isla

take your medicine

Isla, of course, is there in the Infirmary. She practically lives there, and at LongNight especially so. It's quiet - for now - and so she's getting caught up on some paperwork and notetaking at the reception desk when Darkeye walks in, glancing up at the sound of his voice. The hesitation on her face is obvious, at first, until she realises he's there for something other than politics.

"Of course - I can teach you myself if you like. I'm always happy to share that sort of knowledge with people." Rising to her feet, she beckons for Darkeye to follow her into the ward. There's a curtained off area she's started to use specifically for demonstrations and training, so she walks him to this spot and draws the curtain back. "Is there anything specific you think you'd like to learn?"

Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Blackeye
Darkeye gives her time to collect herself first. He is indeed here for personal reasons and he smiles more than usual. He seems to have found a task that satisfies him. No time or space for politics here.

"Thank you, I'll be very happy if you show me in person." Darkeye goes after her. He has a different book with him this time, with a tree on the front."I need your help and knowledge for first aid, I think it is extremely important for the coming time. And later I think you will have a lot to do," he says in a calm voice and hopes she agrees.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"Perfect - let's get to it, then," Isla says with a smile, beginning to set up a few instruments and other supplies she often uses when teaching field medicine. "And you are probably correct there, Darkeye. I have taken that role in a war once before, and it's definitely a busy one." It's also not one she particularly looks forward to doing again, but needs must.

"Alright, so the most common injuries you'll likely see out in the field are cuts and broken bones," she begins. "I'll start with heavy bleeding - first you'll want to check whether there's anything embedded in the wound. If there is, don't remove it but be careful not to press down on it either. Keep pressure to either side of the injury." As she speaks, she starts to fold up some bandages into a wad. "If there isn't anything embedded, keep pressure on the wound until the bleeding stops."

Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
He lays his book, which he seems to have bought just for this, on the table and already starts writing. His eyes are on Isla and he is writing at the same time. "It will hopefully help me save a lot of lives. And I also have a private interest in learning this." He wanted to know if the anatomy of this world was different from his.

He keeps nodding, trying to record what Isla is telling him and explaining. As he draws, his gaze is fixed on the book. He looks up again and again and tries to draw what she is explaining in pictures. So that later he only has to give it to the people on the battlefield. As well as the quest for Frey was a point that was important to him. He didn't want to keep the Herald waiting so long.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"I can't fault you for that. I think it's a skill everyone should have," Isla agrees with a smile. Pausing so that he can write down all that she's telling him, the medic is an attentive and thorough teacher, ensuring that she gives him demonstrations that he can draw in his notebook as well as writing anything he thinks is relevant. "Alright, so that's how you can stem bleeding. It's no substitute for real medical attention, but it will tide someone over until they can get to an infirmary."

That takes them onto broken bones. "If it's an open fracture, that means there will be a broken bone poking through the skin. You need to do the same thing as if something was embedded in a wound; put pressure around it, but don't touch the bone. You'll want to keep the limb still by holding it above and below the break, too. It's important for the patient not to move, ideally."

Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
Darkeye looks at this carefully and hopes that he can use it when needed. Pictures and writings can help, but mostly it's the adrenaline that makes it so hard to do the right thing. There seems to be so much you can do wrong. That is why he is busy listening and drawing.

He nods and, to be honest, he would have tried to put the bone back in the right position. If necessary with a little help and force and splinted it. But apparently that would have only made it worse. He does not doubt Isla's words. But he now realizes how retarded his world was in this regard. Everything was healed with magic but a good medicus was tried to be found in vain.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Truthfully, Darkeye is correct, but setting and splinting goes beyond the scope of first aid - in Isla's terms, anyway. Depending on how far one is from an infirmary, it might well be something that is necessary in a crisis. But that's a bit much for a first lesson. "So," she continues, shifting to grab a few supplies and a small box to show Darkeye, "that covers bleeding and broken bones. Here are a few things I always keep with me when I'm out, in case I need to deal with those situations."

She shows him the usual suspects from a first aid kit - bandages and dressings of various sizes, scissors, tweezers, some clean water, alcohol for sterilisation and so on. "There are a few herbs and other things you can use if you don't have these handy. And a couple of tonics I keep with me as well. Do you want me to show you those?"

Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
Darkeye writes it all down again. He finds the whole thing very interesting. Much of what he learns here will help him in the coming. "Would you recommend such a kit?" He would put one together himself, it could make some things easier.

Everything made a lot of sense. "It would make me happy if I could see some of these herbs, maybe you could even show me how to brew some of these things," he says. Darkeye's interest at this point was that of a child again and his eyes shone with curiosity. He hoped that Isla would show him many more things.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

"If you aren't sure if there will be someone with healing magic, or an experienced medic with you, I would always recommend keeping something like this handy," Isla says of the first aid kit, nodding to him. "You can make them quite large and comprehensive, or you can keep them very basic. It is better than nothing, right?"

His interest is reflected back in her own expression; Isla lives for this sort of thing, and she finds it just as curious and fascinating after all this time. "It would be my pleasure," she says cheerfully. "Just give me a minute."

She leaves the room very briefly, heading to the infirmary stock cupboard for the herbs and picking up a mortar and pestle on her way back, setting them all out in front of Darkeye. "There are certain leaves in the woodlands that will work as bandages in a pinch. I don't have any here, but I have a sketch of what they look like. You can also get some snowmoss to help soothe a fever or otherwise cool someone down, and these herbs have a number of effects."

She shows him valerian for sedation, yarrow to help stop bleeding and help with pain, aloe vera for burns, and so on. "If you like, I can show you how to make salves and tinctures from these."

Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
"I favor your arts more than healing magic. My god forbids magical healing. That means I have to learn to brew healing potions quickly here. From my world they made them out of gold, lizard tails and horse tails. I think I'll take an alchemy class from you soon, too," he said with childlike curiosity but with serious words.

Darkeye is willing to give even more time to Isla's knowledge. Her knowledge treasure would have been worth its weight in gold in his world. Not every citizen was able to afford a healing magician. Therefore, there were often raids and looting. He was forced to hunt down even more people who were actually just trying to save their families. But he did with them the same thing he does with every warmonger....

Again he nodded and made a lot of notes about the different tinctures and ointments.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

”Your god forbade it? May I ask why?” Isla raises a brow, surprised at that. ”I was an Accepted before I Ascended, which is where all of this knowledge comes from. But if I had been able to help people with magic, I would have done it in an instant.” And now, of course, she’s a mixture of both - a medic for those with heartbeats and a mechanic of sorts for those without.

Still, as Darkeye nods his confirmation, Isla goes ahead to show him how to make a simple sedation medicine from valerian, a salve from aloe vera and a topical ointment from yarrow. Once these are done, she bottles them up and offers them out to him. ”These will make a good start to your medicine kit,” she says, smiling. ”Though in the kindest way, I hope you don’t have to use them.”

Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
Darkeye smiles a little bit because when you think about it, it's a little ridiculous. "He is the god of war every scar is worn with pride and with healing magic they disappear. Many of his rituals involve blood. He is convinced that you can only help yourself and that is why healing magic is forbidden. But alchemy again in order. Or rather a gray area. But there are not many plants here that I know of. So my knowledge is not really of much use here. I'm starting from scratch again." That there was more to it than that, he couldn't say without briefing them on Kor. He hoped that this answer was all right for her.

He smiles broadly and bows once slightly in thanks. "Thank you for everything Isla I still have some teeth or I can forge you something if you want as a thank you for your service. Maybe some good medical cutlery?" He was just happy after all this and hoped she would accept his offer.
— the smartest do
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Isla tilts her head, curiosity written all over her expression as Darkeye explains the nature of the god he follows, and she gives a soft smile and a nod. "That does make sense," she agrees, even if it's not the sort of dogma she could subscribe to. "I wonder if Kor would accept it if the healer promised to leave the scars when they were finished," she adds, her smile taking on something of a mischievous twist as she packages up the salves and tonics and hands them out for Darkeye to take.

"You are very welcome. If you need to learn anything more, my door is always open. And I might get in touch with you about that forge. I may need some new tools crafted, but let me check my textbooks and I'll get back to you." She moves to lead them back out of the room, content with the day's lesson.

~FIN