[se] the sun knew you too
for Darkeye
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
Lena didn’t often wander down by the Silk Houses, but with the latest festival springing up (and even that brought forth some confusion, some tension, over its particulars), this occasion called for some spices – Sera’s favorites, if she were to be honest. Some manner of honor, of tradition, from what her sibling used to bake – maybe that could be shared at the supposed long table amongst the swamps.

The stroll didn’t take long, her long strides keeping pace with other locals and Naturals, basket tucked under her arm. She’d arranged a few things to barter and trade for, and by the time they’d pressed around corners, the Caretaker spotted the designated kiosk. Fluttering there with a token smile and righteous justifications, the young Stormbreaker began the haggling process, pointing out the cinnamon and vanilla immediately.
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 19 - Int: 0
Mahariel - Regular - Black Panther
Played by: Lostdream Offline
Change author:
MP: 515
Blackeye
Not the strongest win the battle —
You know how a city is when you start from the lowest ranks. Darkeye hadn't seen much of Strombreak yet, and now that he thought he needed some time to himself, he sees Lena. In a place like this? He follows her at a distance and hopes that she will not be frightened when she sees him. Maybe she had a hint for him about what happens down here.

He decides to approach her after all. "It seems like we always meet at the grocery store, Lena. Kor to the greeting. I hope I didn't overwhelm you too much up there, you seem a bit tense? Is there anything I can do to help?" He said and only now realized how the words must affect others, but he tried not to make a face.
— the smartest do
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
The familiarity of the voice kept away any shocked proportions as she glanced upward from her haggling, a light laugh following through. “I’m always in need of supplies, unfortunately.” Bandages, food, all odds and ends for herself, Stormbreak, or the animals she cared for. “What brings you here?”

Turning back towards the merchant, and successful in her purchase for the spices, she carefully placed the bottles of vanilla and cinnamon in her basket, shifting them around to ensure nothing clattered or broke on her way back home. “I was just thinking of using these to bake something for the upcoming festival. Have you heard about it?”
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Blackeye
Darkeye smiled. "I got a little lost, to be honest. I was just going to lie down somewhere after our work and woke up here." he says honestly because he did want to check out the area. But he didn't want to admit that in front of Lena.

He looks at her in surprise. "You guys celebrate a lot of festivals here in Caido. I think that's good. No, I haven't heard about it. Do you mind if I come with you and maybe even help you bake something?" He just wanted to see something other than mourning blood and war preparations and hoped that Lena could help him.
— the smartest do
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Ever an individual to take people’s words at face value, she thought nothing more of Darkeye’s explanation – it seemed just and fair, considering all the work that had gone on around Stormbreak lately.

As far as festivals though, she managed a light smile and half a shrug through her shoulders. “Flowerbirth seems the right time to celebrate – revival and renewal after Deepfrost and LongNight.” Perhaps with a turn towards Frey for all their abilities, for all their seasons and cycles. “Though this one has been altered somewhat. Liat Fux…or something like that.” But as Darkeye was an Outlander, perhaps it wouldn’t much matter to him. Regardless, the Caretaker remained insatiably curious by the change.

Her eyes widened at the question, and then she glanced down at her wares again. “No. I don’t mind. I was hoping to make something my sister would’ve enjoyed.” And then she turned, and began walking back towards her apartment – new, unfortunately, given everything.
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
"So that sounds interesting you guys are celebrating the end of Ferun you say deep frost to that. The beginning of the Tsa of the flower birth. We have twelve gods each named after a different month. I still have to get used to it. But such festivities are great. Of course, I'd like to go there," he says in a friendly tone, and he means it.

He smiled slightly awkwardly."I'll gladly go to hand you but baking isn't exactly my forte and who you know about it I'd have to ask you for a favor. I would like to make a peach pie that I would like to offer to Frey. I have recently heard that she likes them. If you don't mind. But I'm a fast learner." he says with an even broader smile.
— the smartest do
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Religious aspects always seemed to hold some sort of familiarity about them – even if opposing ends didn’t want to admit it. So she smiled at the differences, at notations in seasons or months, before nodding along, gathering the information in the back of her mind, and hoisting the basket higher along her shoulder. She’d already begun to walk her way out of the alley, back into sunshine and clarity, and down the road towards her own apartments.

As for the favor, her brow furrowed slightly. “I’m not sure about the peach pie, but I can try my best. They also prefer anything with fruits or cream.” But perhaps he’d settled on the former for particular reasons. “We have a shrine in the Celestine, if you want to pray for them there.”
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
"Shall I take the basket from you if you help me already?" He said after dipping a few more peaches. He wanted to be helpful and thought that Lena shouldn't carry so heavy anyway, because she already had so many things on her mind.
He thought that Lena was just plain annoying if there were more people like her, the circumstances wouldn't be so critical.

He smiled slightly again. "I have heard from another of her believers that she likes these fruits but I am open to anything in that regard. I talked to her and she wanted me to bring her something delicious next time I think we can just do both if you have the time and inclination." He smiles and walks next to her.
— the smartest do
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
“I’m all right,” content and sturdy with her supplies, even if there were a little extra. Strong and determined, she waved away any distinctions of worry on his part, opening the door to her apartments and permitting him to wander her by her as she shut it behind them. Thereafter, she meandered through the living room, until they got to the kitchen, where she could take out the cinnamon, vanilla, and start rifling through her cupboards for the rest of the ingredients and necessities.

Snagging at a bowl, her head lifted at the statements – wondering why the cleric continued to address Frey as ‘she’. Maybe that was how he’d viewed them – or wasn’t particular about pronouns. She smiled pleasantly, pondering over the distinction, before grabbing another bowl, figuring where they were making two different things, it’d likely be necessary. “I’m sure they will appreciate your efforts.” Her eyes went to his peaches. “Do you know what else you’ll need for a pie?”
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
She was a strong independent woman after all he respected that. He let his gaze wander as he walked toward the kitchen. He was impressed by the furnishings of the apartment. He had no idea what he was in for when it came to baking.

He looked a little surprised when she said that. "I think flour and water but I don't have an answer to be honest. I'm hoping for your knowledge and skills on this one. But for now, let's make the pastries for the festivities and if we have time, maybe the cake." he tried to explain the situation, he didn't want to mess up her planning now.
— the smartest do
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Ignorance might not’ve been bliss in this situation, but Lena was eternally optimistic. She knew what she needed; but didn’t pies have some outer layer? “How about I let you make a crust, while I start working on the bread for Sera?” Handing over some of the supplies, and allowing Darkeye an adequate amount of space along the counter, she began working on the dough, which they would both need anyway.

On another thought, she snagged at a recipe book tucked along one of her cabinets, rubbing off the flour she’d just accidentally placed upon it. “Maybe this will tell you?” Surely there had to be something on pies and their proportions within the tome.
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
Darkeye was grateful for this suggestion perhaps they would be able to help each other. He quickly opened the book and looked for cakes or pies that might suit Frey's taste. But he also didn't want anything too complicated that something could go wrong. But it should also not be too simple.
He looked for something feasible and made it as it was written in the recipe.

From the ingredients from flour to butter make a shortbread and let it breathe for 30 minutes.

Cut the peaches and shape them

For the curd cream, separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Cream the butter with the vanilla sugar, salt and sugar. Gradually add the egg yolks, then stir in the quark, custard powder and lemon zest. Slowly fold the egg whites into the quark mixture.

Grease and flour a springform pan (26 cm). Pour the shortcrust pastry into the mold and raise a high rim. Pour in 1/3 of the curd mixture, spread the peach halves on top and cover the peaches with the remaining curd mixture.

Bake in the oven for 1 1/4 hours at 175 degrees and 20 minutes before the end of the baking time cover the cake with towels.

Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

He just went ahead and hoped it would turn out well.
— the smartest do
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Layering her hands in flour, whisking portions of it back and forth to ensure nothing would be sticking along countertops, rolling pins, or hands, she glanced over at the tome, reading over Darkeye’s shoulder. “Shortbread first then,” she offered, reading over the list. It’d be able to breathe and rest while he worked on other things. Pointing with her elbow, she indicated where the butter was kept, and offered more flour for his part in the process.

After washing her hands, and would likely have to do so multiple times in the array of messy baking, the youth snagged at eggs, needing them just as much as he for the bread, beginning to whisk them in the bowl, and not forgetting to turn on the oven (a usual mishap).
that kept so many warm
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Blackeye
He did it exactly as it says in the book. He tried to make it exactly as in the book. But he washed his hands first and then started. But then something happened. "What is a shortcrust?" he asked and when he asked he remembered that he had a cookbook. He remembered the page and searched the book for dough and found one relatively quickly. "It's done but thank you," he said and went to work.

"Should I go to the market and get a few more things, I don't want to use up all your supplies"he said when he had just finished the dough. "Or can I help you in some other way?" he said with a bad conscience.
— the smartest do