it's a funny old world
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Ronin worked in silence, gathering pillows and spare blankets and anything else to soften the hard floorboards of the guildhall. The makeshift bed was coming together before the hearth where a low fire still burned. Nearby, Aoife was sound asleep in the basket they had placed her in - she had awoken hungry when they arrived back, but had drifted straight back off afterwards.

They had watched Vanya's star for longer than Ronin could really remember; his breath had caught in his throat at the sight of it, and he had stared until his eyes blurred and the burning cosmos was etched into his memory forever. They had left in silence, then, returning to the guildhall, but Ronin couldn't take himself back upstairs. Not tonight. There was still cleaning up to do, and dried blood everywhere, and besides... it was where they had lived. Peeling that away so soon felt wrong.

"I hope this is okay," he mumbled to Remi as if in apology, already knowing that the alchemist had lived in much more scarce conditions in his time. "You can take that one. I'll make another bed up over here." Difficult as the evening had been, Ronin wasn't stupid enough not to connect the dots about losing Loren's memories. It would be inappropriate, surely, for them not to sleep a respectful distance apart.

ronin
the long and lonesome road
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

Remi's heart felt entirely too heavy and weary and he wished very much he could place it in the wagon and have Isla tow it home. LongNight, this...madness with Sam, whatever it was or meant or had happened, Isla's not-death, and now Vanya's burial was so far to the right of too much that it had almost becoming amusing in the back of Remi's mind. What more could he possibly bear? Oh, if this world had anything to do with it, he'd probably find out.

Silently the alchemist watched Ronin make up a bed on the floor, and as the guildmaster rightly guessed, it was practically lavish compared to what Remi was used to. "Let me." Remi said with a gentle smile, passing his friend. He waved his hands as if trying to get the wrinkles out of a sheet, and indeed linens appeared. Pillows as well. They all had a faint oceanic-blue colour to them, which wasn't surprising given what was on Remi's mind, but he'd smartly decided against replicating the linens into which Vanya had been placed. Surely that would have been too much.

Glancing over at Aoife, Remi smiled sadly. Beside her, he placed a new toy for her—a star of course, with shimmery trim. "Sleep well, little one." He whispered, before turning back to Ronin with a weary sigh.

Indeed the magic at work in his memory was strange, when it came to the guildmaster. He remembered almost all of what they had been through together, and most of it remained accurate, save for a few parts. Parts that mostly had to do with distance. Times when the pair had laid drunken on the floor upstairs with their arms around each other as they laughed at the ceiling was replaced simply with the same scenario with more space between the two. Similar treatment had been given to the way they'd been sat in the alcoves upstairs in the church.

Яemi
But now it's happily ever never. I guess now I know better
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Ronin had been about to step forward to find more blankets when, out of nowhere, Remi got the job done. "Where would we be without your magic?" The guildmaster shot his friend a wry smile, then plopped down onto the blankets with obvious exhaustion. Ronin didn't think he'd ever looked or felt more tired, in fact, though he was unsure if he would be able to drop off and get even a wink of sleep. But he had to try.

Unlacing his boots and setting them to one side, his smile softened as he watched Remi interact with his daughter. "Did you ever want children?" he asked softly, the question slipping out unbidden. "I ask only because of how good you are with them..." Indeed, Remi was absolutely a natural in a way that Ronin still wasn't sure he could emulate.

ronin
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"Ah well, good to know what I am really here for." Remi countered with a chuckle.

Glancing down at Ronin, Remi paused with a funny expression on his face. It was a mixture of fear but also consideration, as his mind tried to fit some pieces together. Though the memories of nights spent discussing Remi's sexuality as well as the lover the two had in common were gone, it occurred to the alchemist just now that if Vai knew that he was gay...that if he'd stood out in the courtyard with Sam with his arm around him, that if they'd been dating that surely Ronin would know as well.

Running his fingers across his forehead as his eyes squished shut against this uncomfortable reevaluation, Remi merely shrugged. "Well, I suppose back in Northaven I thought it was inevitable." He said a big vaguely, sitting down as well with a weary sigh. "Here I suppose..." Remi trailed off. He'd not felt this awkward around Ronin since the first day that he'd met him, and the sudden appearance of it now felt entirely unlike them. "So you know that I am—" He began, his voice sounding as though he was just going to steamroll right through and say gay, but fizzling out at the end. Exhaling the unsaid word, Remi made a cringy sort of face and bit the inside of his lip.

Яemi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

Oblivious in his fatigue to Remi's mental gymnastics, Ronin set his boots down beside his makeshift bed and rubbed at his eyes. Sugar finally uncoiled herself from around his shoulders - she'd not moved or made much of a fuss since he'd come back to the guildhall, as if she was afraid he might leave again - and flopped onto her back in his lap. He smiled faintly, tickling her belly and fussing over her affectionately before letting her roll away.

She nosed at Remi's hand much like a cat would, before slinking away to keep dutiful watch over the basket where Aoife slept. Ronin tilted his head at his friend, even as he struggled for words which had come so naturally only a few days before. He'd never known this awkward Remi. Or rather, he had, but he'd never before known why.

"Yes," he said warmly. "You told me, in fact, not so long ago. It was hardly a big deal, given my own preferences go both ways. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that... you don't have to not be yourself around me. That's always been the case, but if we're going to be living together even more so."

ronin
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Winking at the dragon as she curled up next to Aoife—Remi far too tired to worried about ice dragons next to a fire—he studied his hands as Ronin replied. Glancing over with a comical look of surprise as Ronin said go both ways, the alchemist rubbed his cheek absently against his shoulder as if that would somehow stop the blush from forming.

Then, in typical Ronin fashion, the guildmaster said something that made Remi laugh, and the tension he was starting to feel immediately dissolved, unlike his blush. "I don't have to not be myself? There are easier ways to say that." Remi scolded, conjuring a pillow in his hands and gently striking his friend's shoulder with it.

"Ahh that is right. Our living situation. So you are okay with me bringing strange men home then? What will we use, socks on the door knob? Mythical creatures guarding the doors?" He asked with a chuckle, before pausing for a moment. He wasn't about to sleep in his pants and shirt, and...well. It wasn't as though Ronin hadn't seen him without (most of) his clothes before (thanks for that, Bastien). Swallowing down the lingering feelings of discomfort, the alchemist peeled off his shirt and then lay down, folding his hands behind his head to gaze up at the ceiling.

Яemi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"Hey, give me a break. I haven't slept in like a week," Ronin protested, half-heartedly raising an arm to try and ward off the pillow that Remi batted at him. "You know what I meant. That was the main thing." He smiled; by the other man's reaction to it, too, it seemed to have worked. He didn't recall the Remi he'd first met being comfortable enough to potentially start a pillow fight.

He snorted and leant back on one hand, shrugging his shoulder. "My guildhall is your guildhall. If you want to bring strange men back here, you go for it. A sock on the doorknob might be appreciated, but I don't know where you're getting this 'we' from. I assure you, I won't be bringing anyone home." Given the fact that they had just, y'know, held a funeral for the woman he loved.

While the decision to shuck out of his shirt might have been enormous for Remi, Ronin followed suit without a thought, flopping to lie back against his pillows as well. "Thank you," he muttered. "For everything today."

ronin
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

"Ronin—" Remi all but hissed, his smile disappearing and being replaced with a grimace. "I am so sorry. I—" Shaking his head, he swiped a hand across his eyes and sighed. "I hope you know you are getting an idiot as a house-mate." He said dryly, with an apologetic smile. "I am sorry though. " He added a bit more seriously. "Its been a day. I was not thinking at all...almost like..." Remi glanced upstairs, biting the inside of his lip. "..almost like she was still here." He added in a low whisper.

Glancing up at the ceiling, Remi nodded. "I would say anytime, but I never want to go through this again." The alchemist said with an almost bitter laugh, then narrowed his eyes and tsked. "I already made you ceiling stars once if I remember correctly—" This he said a bit slyly, since all things considered, he very well might not be. "And now it seems I will have to again."

Яemi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

Ronin glanced across to Remi and smiled a touch as he instantly backtracked, shaking his head gently. "I know you didn't intend it in a callous way, Remi. It... it has certainly been a day. And you already knew you were moving in with an idiot, so I don't think a warning is necessary on my part." They had gone through enough together that, even with the gaps in Remi's memories, he should have realised that much.

He followed the alchemist's gaze up the stairs, something like pain flashing across his face for a moment before he swallowed it down and dragged his eyes back to the ceiling. "She is," he mumbled, "in her own way, I guess. She can't ever really be gone, with Aoife here." He shrugged.

Ceiling stars had the ex-captain brightening, strangely, calling back to times before even Vanya had stormed into his life and stolen his heart. "I would like that a lot," he said.

ronin
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi snorted and nodded, still feeling a complete idiot for what he'd said, but relieved at least that their friendship—and Ronin's terse emotional state—could take it.

The alchemist hummed a note of agreement, glancing towards where Aoife—and Sugar by extension—were contentedly dozing. Nibbling his lip thoughtfully for a moment, eventually Remi chuckled to himself. "Well, since I am only here for my magic anyways—" Raising his hands (completely unnecessarily) small star-shapes immediately formed. It was basic chemistry to make them glow, and using his telekinesis he raised them to the ceiling. Dimly they glowed, but given how dark the guildhall was, it was enough.

"There." Remi said with a small smile, taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly.

Яemi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"You aren't just here for your magic and you know it," Ronin said warmly, though his eyes widened and he gazed up at the ceiling with a boyish sort of awe as Remi created consellations to watch over them as they slept. His smile was soft and grateful for his friend, the guildmaster seeming to relax even just a fraction as he watched the artificial stars twinkle and glow overhead. "They are perfect," he assured the alchemist.

He couldn't really hold back sleep for much longer, though he could already feel the anxiety churning within him at what his dreams might hold. "If I snore, just kick me, alright?" Ronin shifted to draw a blanket up and over himself, seeming small and awkward given how used to sleeping with Vanya he would have been.

ronin
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

"My wine then." The alchemist replied sleepily, covering a yawn with the back of his hand.

With a grin, Remi nodded. "Uh huh. If you snore." He agreed cheekily, watching with a fading smile as Ronin turned over, curling around no one at all. The alchemist could practically see the place Vanya used to be in his arms, and how the guildmaster was trying to find a comfortable position now that it was just him.

Well.

Him and Aoife.

Him and Aoife and Sugar and Remi. And of course Isla by extension. That wasn't so bad.

Still, Remi watched the blanket rise and fall on Ronin's side for a long while, wondering if he had his memories if he might share some of the melancholy Ronin was experiencing. Presumably Remi was meant to be missing someone. Loren? Or Ianto? He couldn't remember. Both were seemingly important to him, and then there was Sam ... had he not lost the mask, would he be thinking of Sam at his side? He had no way of knowing, and so instead simply thought of Ronin, and the empty space beside him no longer filled by the seabird.

"Goodnight Ronin." He whispered softly, before turning to study the stars.

Яemi
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"Goodnight, Remi," Ronin murmured back into the dark, shifting a little to try and get comfortable in a suddenly foreign place that had been home only a week or so before. But ultimately his exhaustion won out over grief, pulling the guildmaster down into a fitful and restless sleep. It was little surprise that he woke easily when a hungry Aoife began to stir and Sugar started nosing at his ear, Ronin sleepily making up a bottle for the infant and feeding her in almost a doze.

She fell back asleep almost straight afterwards, but her father was not so lucky. Thoughts turned over relentlessly in his mind, Ronin trying and failing to shut his mind off. He didn't know quite when he had rolled over and onto Remi's makeshift bed, only that that was where the warmth was, and as he wrapped an arm around the body next to his and nestled his face into soft curls, he was out like a light in seconds.

ronin
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi only opened his eyes long enough to register that Ronin was alright when he heard the sounds of movement, before closing his eyes and letting himself drift deep back into sleep. That was probably why as the guildmaster's arms wrapped around him, Remi didn't stir, but unconsciously allowed himself to be cuddled and even scooched himself closer to better fit against the former-captain.

At some point however, Remi did awake. In another life he didn't remember, he'd awoken in a position like this before, only it was a mischevious fox who'd had his arms around him after a rather interesting night. Now, his eyes fluttering open slowly, Remi felt a wave of panic overtake him as he realized whose arms were wrapped around his waist, whose lips were breathing sleepy breaths against his ear, and whose body he was snuggling and entirely pushed up against. Suddenly drawing in a breath and holding it, the alchemist froze. He tried to slow his rapidly raising heart rate but found himself entirely unable. The fact that Ronin knew about Remi's preferences—that the captain himself went both ways—was entirely unhelpful. If anything it made it all the more confusing because while the obvious answer was that his idiot-friend was just cuddly, the unlikely but looming answer was that this was...

...no. Remi couldn't even think it. His heart was already hammering too fast and his mind was already trying to come up with a suitable excuse to leave. He shouldn't move in. This was a bad idea, this was—

—this was Ronin. Ronin who just lost Vanya. Ronin who, only hours ago, Remi had promised to always be there for. But he couldn't, not like this.

Then, with a smile that made his heart settle somewhat, Remi shifted. Instead of an awkward and uncomfortable man in his arms, Ronin would instead find a raccoon who was more than happy to steal the guildmaster's warmth and affection.

Яemi