clean eyes
For Phoebe!
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
REXANNA
FOR A TIME IT SEEMED TO ME,
THAT WE WERE STARLIGHT-TOUCHED.
FAILING TO REALIZE THAT WE WERE STARCROSSED,
It had been ages, she thought, since she’d seen Phoebe. Long before Longnight, when they had gathered food and talked with one another when it had begun to snow. When Phoebe has enlightened her to the name behind the god that had cursed her, and how she hadn’t figured out how to be cured yet. But it was a new year, life after the darkness of Longnight. And Rexanna felt lucky that the worst she had dealt with was a small panic attack. Luckily for her, Bastien had helped with that, and somehow with their conversation after, Frey had blessed her by curing her speech. Not too many people knew of it, some thinking she was an overly flirtatious sort like Edrei, but now that she could speak correctly she wanted to see the look on their faces when she arrived and could actually speak without a honey toned lull.

So she had left the conversation with Remi behind, from a previous day, to focus on someone else. Phoebe. She left her own house, further down the street from the settlement, dressed in a fine fitting blouse of sorts and tight pants, with furs around her neck to act as a scarf. She hadn’t planned on the rain that came pouring down outside, and she was halfway out running her errands when the rain began to fall hard. She cursed herself for not bringing a hood of sorts, but continued on her way to Phoebe’s clinic. It was only upon reaching the door that she noticed the rain drops slid off of her skin. Her clothing was wet and likely soaked, but as she caught a glimpse of herself in the reflection of a window, she noticed that her hair and face were seemingly dry. A small surprise to her, and she seemed quite put together in that moment despite the slight drip to her clothes.

She knocked on the door, sucking in a breath and hoping that Phoebe was home. “Phoebe? It’s me, Rexanna. I was hoping we could chat!” She called through the door. Her voice carrying that familiar lilt. She didn’t want to give away her surprise too soon. She refrained from opening the door, however. She knew it was a midwife clinic, but there was something about it that Rexanna didn’t feel comfortable enough to barge into. She figured this was the best shot, and she tucked a bottle of tea and a small bundle of cookies further under her coat while she waited.
THE STARS WERE
NEVER
ON OUR SIDE.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe was...Phoebe was a mess. There was a lot she had been holding in lately. Anxiety from the experiences of Long Night. Frustration in her relationship if you could call it that with Emmett. Stress of suddenly having to care for someone who was horribly injured and two traumatized toddlers. Despair because everything that should be going right wasn't.

Guilt because she didn't think she deserved to feel any of it.

It was one of the rare moments when she was completely alone since Long Night. She couldn't remember where Emmett said he was going with his siblings but it had something to do with work. So she let her self go for a little. Not fully. Just a little weepy so she could maintain the guise when they got back. She was laying on one of her couches when she heard the shouting outside. At once she recognized the voice. "R-rex?!" she called back in surprise, springing to her feet.

Phoebe hurried to the door rubbing her eyes dry as she did so. "Oh my goodness! Get inside quick!" Phoebe said when she saw Rex there, completely drenched as far as she could tell.
Phoebe
I'll be your shoulder when you cry
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
As Phoebe called from behind the door and answered it surprisingly quick, there was a slightly surprised look that crossed Rexannas face. But it was gone quickly as a wide smile spread across it and replaced the slight surprise. “I hope you don’t mind. I brought some goodies with me!” She hummed to Phoebe, slipping inside and running a hand through her hair – hair that was shockingly dry despite the dampness of her clothes. She removed her jacket and hung it up after putting the tea and cookies on a small side table, one that she had helped Phoebe put in. Turning back to Phoebe, she smiled another wide smile. “So I have news!” She began, missing the redness of Phoebe’s eyes and the slight dampness to them.

She turned back to the gifts she brought and gestured to the girl for a place they could sit and perhaps share the bottle and cookies should she want to. “But first, it's been ages since we spoke last. How have things been with you?” She questioned, wondering if things had changed for her in regards to her quest from Frey. And if she had, if it had been everything she thought it would be. And if she hadn’t, well, Rex could sit and talk to her more about it.

Regardless, she had a glow about her and the water that had reached her hair moved in droplets as it rolled off her dark hair when she ran a hand through it and let her sapphire gaze slip back to Phoebe. It was then, as Rexanna truly looked, she breathed deeply. “Oh. Oh is this a bad time?” She questioned, a frown finding a place on her delicate face.
THE STARS WERE
NEVER
ON OUR SIDE.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Rexanna entering the clinic was like a gust of pure happiness and joy rushing in. It was in such contrast to how she currently felt it was quite literally shocking to her system. She stared wide eyed as the older woman waltzed in without so much as a care in the world. And...was she prettier? Did she have makeup on? Something about her was different but she couldn't place her finger on it, watching in some awe as the water on her person just seemed to slide off, her hair even miraculously dry.

"Ah..." she stuttered as Rexanna rushed on, closing the door. How had she been? Had...anyone asked her that? Remi had during Long Night. But no one since. Not even Emmett. Emmett... She swallowed a hard lump in her throat, but the change in her expression must've indicated her inner turmoil because Rex pointed it out. And she asked and said just the right things too apparently, because she frowned, eyes tearing up. With lips pressed tightly together, Phoebe shook her head, her hair flipping around her shoulders.

"N-no its okay I-I'm really glad you're here." she said, something between a quiet sob and light laugh breaking past her lips. "What's you're news?"
Phoebe
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
When Phoebe didn’t immediately respond, and she had seen the slight dampness of the girls eyes, was when Rexanna became a bit worried. Her brows furrowing together and that frown sitting on her face. Her sapphire gaze lingering on Phoebe as she shook her head but she could see the slight tearing up of her eyes. “Oh no Phoebe.” She said softly, her voice normal and holding a solid line of sympathy that she couldn’t do when she had been cursed. She disregarded the question Phoebe poised to her, for a moment at least, before she stepped toward the girl with arms outstretched. Phoebe was a lot taller than Rexanna, but that didn’t mean the girl didn’t need a hug or two, a shoulder to cry on. She stepped closer, bridging the gap between the two of them as she embraced Phoebe and rubbed her hand along her back in a soothing moment.

An almost motherly moment.

It can wait.” She finally said, pulling away from the hug to look at Phoebe’s face. “What’s wrong?” She asked, hoping to guide Phoebe to a chair and bring her basket of cookies to the table. “Have as many as you’d like.” She offered kindly, a soft smile crossing her face as she sat in the chair opposite. “We can drink something harder than tea if you need to.” She said with a similar sympathy caressing her words. She didn’t know if her transmutation magic would turn the tea into wine, but she imagined she could find something harder should Phoebe request it. Despite their disagreements in the past, she cared about Phoebe. She considered her a friend.

And so she waited to see what the girl might decide.
THE STARS WERE
NEVER
ON OUR SIDE.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
What was it about hugs that could instantly break a person's emotional resolve? Phoebe hugged Rexanna back, if mostly on instinct, as she squeezed her eyes closed. Tears still escaped and rolled down her cheeks then as Phoebe forced back the flood of emotion that wanted to flood forward. A shuddering sigh was all that she let escape before Rex let her go.

It wouldn't be hard to usher her to a seat on one of the overstuffed couches. Phoebe curled her legs under her as she sniffled and wiped at her eyes. "I-i probably shouldn't...they'll be back and I don't wanna be drunk." she said quietly when offered to drink something harder. "But there is some wine in the cupboard if you want some." she offered as she took a cookie, holding it instead of eating it. But...Phoebe noticed...

"Rex...your voice...you got it back?" she said with a little sniffle and small smile.

But she had asked what was wrong and Phoebe sighed, rubbing her eyes dry again. "It's a long story..." she warned. "S-so I met a boy named Emmett. He's a Natural and uhm...well he had been really nice to me and invited me to his family's house for Long Night. And...well it started out great and he asked me to be his girlfriend and then one thing led to another..." she stopped suddenly, cheeks flushing red as she realized she hadn't told anyone yet, not even Remi, that she had sex with Emmett. She decided to leave it there though. Rexanna would know what that meant.

"B-but I don't know why or how, but we couldn't hear anything from inside the room and when we came out his two youngest siblings were screaming and the rest of his family were dead...somehow the monsters got in and..." she stopped and shook her head. "I can't describe it. And as we were running to the Rathskellar we were attacked and I had to rip my skirt off to bandage up Emmett and drag him there with the two kids screaming....I think the little glowy fish Safrin sent was the only thing that kept me alive." she said, speaking quickly to get through it.

"I've been taking care of them since then. Emmett, Chris and Milly. And...I know he is grieving and I know he needs time but... I don't even know if he still...likes me that way any more. He barely talks about anything that isn't work. He hardly touches me or acknowledges me more than to say thanks for cleaning or cooking. I just...I can understand if he isn't interested in being...intimate...with all of that but...just a little something...to know this distance is temporary." They had been as intimate as they could be and it was followed up by nothing. "And I...hate myself...for wanting anything at all...even something small...to know he thinks of me that way and not as a housekeeper." she said at length, covering her face with her hands.

"I don't know how to help him and it feels like I'm losing him already."
Phoebe
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
Her brows furrowed when Phoebe spoke, mentioning that she shouldn’t and that there was a they that would be back. Immediately Rexanna grew concerned for her friend, wondering if Phoebe had perhaps come across one of those unsavory people, a person that took advantage of a person’s good will and turned it sour. She shook her head to Phoebe, uncapping the tea and finding two glasses to pour the contents into before handing a cup to her friend and sitting again, watching as she took a cookie and Phoebe’s attention turned to her.

As she sniffled and commented on her voice, Rexanna nodded and smiled in return. “Yes, that was my good news.” She said quietly, crossing one leg over the other. “I was talking to someone when suddenly it was just… fixed! Though the person I spoke to, and Remi for instance, both mentioned something about being radiant but I haven’t figured out why that is just yet.” She shrugged, trying to lighten the mood slightly before it turned dark once again.

It was a good thing she did,  because her smile faded as soon as Phoebe sighed and rubbed at her eyes. As she mentioned it would be a long story, Rexanna nodded. She had all the time in the world, it felt like. But she remained silent as she spoke, taking in every detail of the story. She spoke of a boy named Emmett and how he was a Natural, how he had invited her to his home for Longnight and how they had been together for the first time. She offered a small smile and a nod to Phoebe, as if to say “yes I understand” by the words, her friend’s cheeks flushing red but Rexanna waved it off quietly.

They were both women after all – and Rexanna certainly had more experience than Phoebe to feel any sort of awkwardness about talking about sex of all things. So it didn’t bother her in the slightest, but she could understand Phoebe’s possible shyness about it. But of course, the story was far from over. She picked up a cookie and began to munch on it while she listened, her sapphire eyes scanning her friend’s face to pick up on everything she said.

Oh Phoebe, that’s terrible.” She said, a frown finding her face as her voice dripped with a sadness for her friend. Rexanna was a firm believer that first times, if you could help it, should be special and wonderful, and to have it associated with such a dark thing to happen, well, it was hard. Hard to want the need to do it again in case anything happened, so she could understand as much. And as Phoebe spoke of feeling selfishness, she nodded in kind to her friend.

She took a deep sip of her tea before setting the cup on the table and offering a solemn smile to Phoebe before she spoke. “I think maybe you guys should talk about it? Was it Emmett’s first time too?” She asked quietly, cocking her head to the side. “It’s hard to experience something so terrible like that, especially to have it associated with something nice. If he’s strong and smart and kind, it might just take time. Be his friend, be there for him to help him through it?” She paused thoughtfully, offering another small smile. “You never know what an ear to lend can lead to.” She added with a small wiggle of her eyebrows, though she thought of Bastien letting her vent and cuddle up to sleep beside him.

Though she didn’t dare say it.

She unfolded her legs and leaned forward to her. “But if you talk to him, make sure you hear his side too. Explain how you feel as well, it’s very important to do that. I’ll say it again, that you both are young and having this connection is so new everything will be confusing at first. It just seems like Longnight had to make it more difficult.” She said quietly. “But there’s nothing wrong with you making the moves too. Hold his hand occasionally if you want to, hug him when he seems down. Let him know you’re there for him and it might help him move on too. If he doesn’t want it or doesn’t seem interested, he could always just leave.” She finally said, leaning back to see what Phoebe thought about it. “It doesn’t have to always lead into anything.
THE STARS WERE
NEVER
ON OUR SIDE.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe smiled as Rexanna revealed what her good news was - and it was good indeed! "You must've done whatever it was that Frey wanted you to do. Congratulations." she said, forcing down her pity party to be happy for Rex. At the mention of being radiant she nodded in agreement. "You are though! I thought maybe you just put makeup on or something." she said. She couldn't rightly place what made Rex look so lovely, and that had been her only logical explanation.

But of course, the topic went back to her.

She listened quietly as Rex spoke, taking in her advice. The blonde nodded a little when she asked if it had been Emmett's first time too, just to confirm but not outrightly interrupt. Her brown eyes cast down to the ground though. "I've tried talking to him and he doesn't really respond...He's just focused on getting everything fixed...and I'm trying to be helpful and make it easier. I'm taking care of his siblings who are only 3 and 4 years old and cooking and cleaning and doing all their laundry and whatever else needs doing..." she said, a little rambly. Phoebe was basically being a wife without the benefits or recognition that came with that title. She was taking care of everyone's basic needs and receiving very little in return from Emmett - and she didn't really want a lot for it. He needed these things done and she was happy to do it.

"I know things don't always have to lead there but... it's hard having been so intimate and now...a little half-hearted pat on the shoulder and thank you is all there is for anything and...it's just a really big difference. And...what if it isn't because he is sad? What if he doesn't really want me anymore or thinks I brought bad luck and is only still here because I take care of him and Chris and Milly?" she said worriedly, her eyes brimming with tears again. "A-and I don't want to feel this way but I do. He doesn't have to sleep with me I just...would like...something. Some sign that I'm more than a cook and babysitter." she said, wiping roughly at her eyes. "But I don't want to burden him with my stupid stuff."
Phoebe
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
As Phoebe spoke of Rexanna completing what it was that Frey had wanted her to, Rexanna modded though she couldn’t understand what it was. She had been under the impression it had to do with her acts and not her mind; but she had been wrong. She had been told the life advice from them and taken it to heart — instead of being self sacrificing with Bastien she had simply helped him in a way that didn’t ultimately revert to her. Told him what she thought and let him do it. Perhaps that was the lesson in and of itself, and hadn’t had anything to do with physical activities. She nodded to Phoebe with a small smile but shook her head at the makeup part. She hadn’t worn any since she lived in Asciend, somewhere around 7 years prior to coming to Caido. She didn’t miss it, if she was being honest.

But she listened to her friend, and longed with her and felt for her. It was hard, yes, and she could understand Phoebe’s feelings of being a caretaker with no way to vent about her own feelings. Reaching out with her hand, she hoped to grasp Phoebe’s own in her soft fingers, nodding along with her until she was done venting. “Yes, I can understand that.” She said. She could, ultimately, understand. Having been a servant for years and caring for people who had little regard for her, who hadn’t known she had existed until her status in life was elevated, she knew it could be hard. And she wanted to try and make it better for her friend.

It’s important for you to say what you need to, what you want to. Don’t bottle it up because it’s only so much worse when it comes out.” She said a bit thoughtfully. “Take some of the advice that Frey gave me; don’t sacrifice yourself and your well-being for others.” She didn’t know how close Emmett and Phoebe were, but it still seemed rather fresh and new. “Do you think he’d do the same for you? If you treated him how he treats you?” She offered as kindly as she could, her dark blue gaze sweeping over her friend. “You should talk to him.” She added a bit quieter, sucking in a breath and offering as kind of a smile as she could muster. “None of what happened was your fault over Longnight.
THE STARS WERE
NEVER
ON OUR SIDE.