Shell Game
Open!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
At least it was only Flowerbirth, Tal consoled himself. It would be a lot hotter in Longheat. And although the bugs were bad now, they'd only get worse later.

Which wasn't much comfort in the moment as he flapped his sticky sleeveless shirt against his chest in a search for air movement to dry some of the sweat from his brown skin. His other hand was wrapped firmly around the shaft of a spear that was topped with the heavy skull of the ursur he had slain with Deimos at the beginning of the season. It would have made a great trophy for the house...

But Dierdre had made it clear it wasn't going to hang in any of the public areas, and now he had a better use for it.

He paced near to the huge, uncanny tree with its ropes and wicked whispers but was careful not to pass under it and its cursed-looking leaves. The place was definitely haunted, but he'd heard that bone piles were the best places to find his prey and he peered about as he tried to spot a walking skull monster. Occasionally he jiggled the skull atop the staff enticingly.

Which made the companion a little ways ahead of him snort in annoyance. The big, boxy dragon with her glacier-pale scales was black to her chest and belly with swamp mud, but her back and wings still stood out like beacons in the brown-and-green gloom and she was just as on edge as her bonded.

"Don't worry, girl," Tal murmured, as much for his comfort as hers. "We'll get the hail out of here as soon as we find one."
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Hotaru

It is Boreal’s paleness that draws Ru towards the Hanging Tree. Her presence in the Feverlands is far from unexpected, freed as her time is now with the twins finding their own paths in Torchline. Exploring the Wilds occupies much of her time these days, which is how she finds herself maneuvering around in the thick, sticky heat of the day. Luckily it does little to impact her looks, the shine of sweat more like an unfair illuminating highlight on golden skin.

Boreal is less familiar caked in mud, but she’s not far from her bonded, and Ru changes direction to intercept the young man with a gleeful pleasure that turns her full lips into a smile. “Tal my dear, what are you doing so far from home?” she calls out, voice regal as ever but warm with affection as she dances over the grime like it never existed, aiming for his side.
so many roads, you don't know where you've been
but you still know who you are
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
He wasn't expecting to hear another voice - much less this voice - in the middle of the swamp and Tal jumped a little as he had a moment's fright that a ghost was playing tricks on him.

When he turned around it wasn't a ghost; but it might as well have been. Pale eyes brightened and his scowl lifted for a heartbeat before he remembered that he was a little mad at the Valkyrie. It returned in full force as Boreal padded over to rumble a far more sincere and honest welcome to Hotaru; something her bonded was, for some reason, too proud to do.

Well, she'd do it for him, then.

The broad head butted gently against Hotaru's ribs with a pleased croon while Tal tried to cross his arms and failed as the spear got in the way and he had to scramble to keep the skull from falling off the top of it. His cheeks warmed uncomfortably at the mistake and he huffed and looked away because, yeah, he totally meant to do that. "Oh, hey, Ru. I'm trying to find a..." Yeah, he wasn't going to pronounce that right, and didn't even try. "A skull crab... thing."

Pale eyes snuck a wounded glance back at the Valkyrie, trying to be inconspicuous about it. "What about you? Where've you been?" And nope, the last word definitely didn't have a hint of wounded betrayal in it.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru

His expression is painfully open, and the Valkyrie too adept at reading them for him to hide the way positive reception shutters into hurt. Ru nibbles the inside of her cheek, torn, and instead focuses on Boreal for a moment as the muddy dragon comes to nudge her ribs in greeting. Gentle hands caress pale glacier scales, rubbing over eye ridges and skritching beneath her chin. “Hello my jewel, have you had fun in the mud?” she croons, unbothered by any detritus that flecks up against her legs because of Boreal’s greeting.

The attention she pays the dragon doesn’t steal away her focus, which hovers over Tal, concerned. It’s how she sees him fumble with the staff, and it inspires her to give one last pat to the dragon at her side before turning fully to the courier. “A Penolaeth? Whatever do you need one for?” she asks lightly, only a hint of amusement in her tone at his evasion of the name. As part of the Hunters’ guild, she knows most of Caido’s bestiary.

Her expression softens just a little at the betrayal in his tone, still subtle as was her way, but enough to let him know the message was received. “I live in the Greatwood. After the coup, I didn’t move back to Halo. I have workers at my spa, but…it was always too hard to come back fully. I’m sorry.” And she was, because she doesn’t stay away entirely because of her own desires. “When Deepfrost seals Halo off, all I can do is wait.” Normally she would tease him here for being worried about her, and the spa as he’d told Deimos - who had naturally told her - but his hurt is too plain for her to make a joke of it.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Boreal had, indeed, been having fun in the mud but beneath the heavy muscle and scale was a dainty lady - when she wanted to be. And Ru was also treated as such, the dragon careful not to rub her muddy paws or limbs against the Valkyrie in her happy greeting and receiving of her rightful due of scritches and praise.

Meanwhile, Tal was learning how the word was pronounced and uh. Yeah. He was really glad he hadn't tried to say it the way it'd been spelled in the book at the Guildhall. He turned his scowl outwards towards some of the bone piles around the tree. "I need its shell," he admitted, the words pulled out reluctantly at first. "For a thing Ludo's gonna make me." That whole 'thquithy' thing, and being less so.

But he couldn't help but glance back at her, like poking at a sore tooth, and he wasn't sure whether the softening of her expression helped or made things worse. "I get not stickin' around for Deepfrost," he muttered. Especially since she wasn't native to that cold. "But y'didn't come back afterwards, either." And there was the heart of the matter.

Wait, did that pile of alligator bones over there just shiver?
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

The two ladies seem to understand one another, and Ru is grateful for the dragon’s presence allowing her to put to task her restless hands. While she rarely ever reveals any tells after so many years, that rigid control is never quite so easily within reach around her cherished ones, and Talyson holds that dubiously beneficial title.

“Do you intend to trade for its shell? You picked a good alternative,” she compliments, trying to soothe hurts and sour moods alike with a maternal sort of grace. Allowing the young man to dictate how forthright he intends to be about her absence. A stance he reveals readily, prompting a soft sigh from the Valkyrie as her hand slows to merely sit as a warm weight on Boreal’s crown.

“For all my lingering there, I live in the Greatwood, not Halo,” she explains quietly, gaze reluctantly parting from the play of sunlight on the dragon’s scales to her bonded’s tight eyes. “Selfishly, I hoped that perhaps people would visit me there instead of the other way around. But it was a silly, useless gesture; I am the one without current duties.” Not that her heart hadn’t ached with each day with no letter or knock on her door, but blaming her loved ones for their busy lives is something she has tried to leave in the past with other girlish, selfish tendencies. “Moving back would seem easiest, but being in Halo - living there again - it presents a certain hurt I’m not sure I’m ready to contend with. I’m sorry, Tal, that my whimsy and cowardice alike hurt you.” And oh, how the years have had to shape the Valkyrie to allow for moments like these; sincere apologies, admission of weaknesses, any talk of her true feelings. But perhaps the honesty alone will disarm him and soothe his ruffled feathers.

Eyes catching the movement beside them, Hotaru’s shoulders slowly move back into a properly alert pose. “Tal, over there,” she murmurs, eyes gesturing pointedly without moving her feet, wanting his offering to be the focus.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Boreal grumbled contentedly as the humans did their talking. She didn't need to understand what was being said to feel the twists and tensions in her bonded's heart, but she could also feel the fondness and the care that the wounds had stemmed from, and how relieved he was - beneath all his bluster and grump - to have found Hotaru again, safe and sound.

Tal, unfortunately, was in no mood to be soothed, but he was susceptible enough to the Valkyrie's praise that his scowl wavered in spite of his intention to stand strong in his wounded pride. Her opinion meant something to him, however much he tried to hide it. He would have jammed his hands in his pockets if he could have to hide his conflicted heart but he had to settle for squeezing them around the spear shaft as if he could wring out his uncertainty and unhappiness by throttling the weapon into submission.

His gaze flitted between meeting hers and looking away, though it always returned eventually as she spoke. He tried not to wince when she admitted hoping to receive visitors of her own and bit his lip against words that tried to escape; lashing out that wouldn't make anything better even for a heartbeat but might ruin everything forever.

It was the apology that undid him. "I didn't know you were in the Greatwood," he finally blurted guiltily, unable to hold back anymore. "An' the trees are all stupid an' confusin' an' the Lullaby made it pretty clear he doesn't want anyone trespassin'." His scowl returned full force as he glared down at the ground and kicked a root of the big tree. "Or... y'know... maybe I would've come. Still could, if I knew how to find you there. Should figure it out anyways, in case I need t'deliver anythin' to you." Even if the delivery came from himself. Er. Someone anonymous.

He was still working himself up to finding a way to respond to the apology itself without making more of a hash of things when Ru shifted her stance and Boreal's head came up, nostrils flaring to scent the swampy air. Tal followed both of their gazes to the pile of bones that quietly shivered again as a rounded cranium seemed to peeeeeek out from behind the ribcage, empty eye sockets focused on the spear in Tal's hands.

Slowly, moving with only a slight tremble of adrenaline from all the emotions that lay heavy in the air, Tal lowered the spear until the ursur skull rested on the ground a body length away from him. "Is it too big?" he fretted under his breath to Ru, worried that maybe he'd over-estimated the size of his tribute skull.

Spoiler alert: he did not
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

His words come out like an overflow, spilling forth in a blend of emotions that are plainly discernible. The white of his hands around the spear shaft as they wring restlessly would be evidence enough of his turmoil, but he has yet to learn how to modulate his tone to conceal the depth of emotion which he clearly feels. Ru isn’t sure whether to attribute that to youth as a whole, or years with more snow than socialization to fill his days given the family business he’d made his own.

If she wasn’t so well-adapted to reading people whether they wanted to be or not, perhaps she would give in to her own desire to reach out and gently touch the strain of his knuckles to impart physically what comfort words couldn’t give. Instead, she keeps her smile small and apologetic, taking no (outward) joy in his emotional fluster. “Remi can be quite the fire-breathing gate guard, it’s true. I’ll see if I can speak to him, let him know you’re welcome to come in to visit me.” Though if Tal had stuck his foot into his mouth when meeting Remi, Ru could admittedly only do so much. Maybe install a long distance doorbell? “Even if he refuses, you can always arrange to see me in the Village; any traders are welcome there.” It would be easier than trying to give directions in the forest; though it has grown used to Ru as a long term dweller now, the woods still loved to deceive visitors, and she wasn’t keen on hunting the young man down in the massive expanse of territory surrounding her modest home.

Before they can discuss it any further - though Ru suspects anything emotional is off the table for the next few hours at least - the Penolaeth provides a perfectly timed distraction. Ru stays perfectly still, like the cat within whose stalk could last hours, and her mouth twitches with amusement at Tal’s strained whisper. “No, I think it’s just right. Let it investigate and decide if it wants to trade.” She keeps her voice calm and soft, just loud enough for Tal to hear without spooking the strange creature.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal had little practice in hiding strong emotions, wearing them on his sleeve most of the time. His sisters already knew him too well, and his team deserved his honesty. He was rarely among those he delivered his packages and mail to long enough for it to ever be an issue, so his practice at deception was minimal and used more for pranks than serious conversations.

It was just as well Ru didn't reach out to him. He didn't know if he would have suddenly, fiercely hugged her or knocked her hand away and he didn't want to find out. Her words were quiet, measured, providing a calming influence over the emotional tempest and Tal sucked in a breath as he gave a jerky nod to her offer to speak to the Lullaby. There was, as far as he knew, no bad blood there; only professional respect on both sides. (Or at least, Remi had used his services in the past.) "He likes Boreal," he mumbled, a slight non-sequitur as the dragon preened shamelessly.

Everyone liked her, as far as she was concerned. And if they didn't, they weren't worth knowing.

Tal nodded cautiously to the compromise of the Village. A place he'd never been, but figured he could probably find--

But the rest would have to wait as time streams converged and the bones shifted on the far side of the deadly tree. Tal carefully moved his offering into reach and chewed his lip, glancing once, briefly at Hotaru's reassurance with a flicker of - was that gratitude? - before turning his pale eyes wholly on the skull that skittered towards them in sudden jerks and unpredictable halts, eerily silent once it was away from the pile of ribs that it had hidden within.

The skull was big and round and though smaller than the ursur, it had once belonged to a snapping turtle of daunting size. The shell had long since been scavenged away, but a human head would have fit easily inside the mouth of this beast in its heyday. Now, the legs that extended from beneath it spread out in an eerie array and the large crab within seemed to press at the sutures, more than ready for a new home.

It paused a few feet from the skull, considering the two humans beyond... but their heads were woefully inadequate and in a moment's decision it pounced on the ursur skull and swiftly peeled its way out of its former home and slid into its new one. Waving its pincers in either excitement or threat it snipped warningly at Boreal when the dragon started to stalk near and scuttled back to its bone pile, leaving the turtle skull behind.

Tal sat back on his haunches with a sigh, eyes closed in relief as the dragon snagged a ridge of the skull and dragged it back over to her Bonded as proudly as if she'd caught it herself. "Thank fuckin' Frey that didn't go sideways," he murmured to woman and dragon alike, scrubbing his companion's horns fondly.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Mumble it may be, but it’s an answer, and Ru laughs brightly and reaches anew to caress a hand over Boreal’s regal head. “Impossible not to like her really,” she croons, more to the dragon than the young man she’s actually talking to. The rest can be forgiven, if not forgotten. Hotaru likes to think their relationship - though budding - is strong enough to weather hurt feelings and a season of quiet.

The flicker of his eyes, the gratitude plain, prompts a further encouraging nod. He is doing well in keeping his nerves locked down, which means the skull on his spear doesn’t wobble and shake in a way that might dissuade the creature from taking it. But take it it does, and Hotaru stifles a fond laugh as Tal nearly collapses as he finally breathes in. Had he even taken one in that entire time?

After confirming to herself the Penolaeth was gone, Ru approaches man and dragon. “Wonderful job, Tal. We’ll make a Monster Hunter of you yet.” She winks playfully, and extends a hand to help him from his squat. “Can I keep you company while you make your way home?” To make up for lost time, and make more memories in the meantime.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Boreal bumped her head against Ru's hands with a low croon, understanding the gist of the Valkyrie's intention perfectly clearly. And, though the dragon very much had her own mind and went her own way (often to Tal's dismay), if things had truly been broken between the courier and the huntress his companion wouldn't have been lavishing Hotaru with all the affection Tal was too proud to admit to.

Having completed the hunt successfully and with no injuries gained, the courier let his relief finally ease some of the hurt that was working its way out to bleed away, like a lanced wound emptying so it could heal. He hesitated for a moment at the offered hand, chewing his lip fiercely in thought before slowly reaching up to grasp it and haul himself up.

And once up he didn't let go right away, giving Ru's fingers an awkward, silent squeeze while he looked over at the pile of bones that hid the ursur skull from view. "Yeah, well, just gotta convince Deimos of that," he mumbled, finally loosing her hand and shoving his own deep in his pocket. He slid a glance back at her as Boreal gave a long stretch and started to pad away from the nasty, haunted tree and gave a tentative nod. "...Yeah. I... yeah. That'd be okay. We finally finished the sun cannon, did you hear? An' Delia became co-Warden with Noah..." And there were two whole seasons worth of things to catch up on. And if the words were slow and sometimes stumbling as he told her what was new in Halo and asked after her life in the Greatwood, at least the silences didn't hurt so much anymore.

~Fin~