knowledge hunters
Nikolai
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
I will fight the end
The joy at having a Capitol Compass means that Ronin is able to flit around regions almost at will, and he doesn't have to worry about leaving his own responsibilities unattended for too long. This explains why he's in some little dusty shop in Torchline, anyway. It sells books, trinkets and other oddities - but more importantly, it also claims to sell old maps of Rae's Fingers.

Ronin knows that the odds of any map being remotely accurate (especially in a place like Torchline) is very low indeed, but if he's going to be on call to seek out and destroy an Eirachi shrine, he may as well attempt to get familiar with the Fingers. And thus he stands in the middle of she shop, almost entirely obscured by the map he's unfolded, and he doesn't feel any more prepared for it.

'til the end is here

Coding base by Sky!
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai knows there is risk in coming to Torchline. But he's been trailing the paper map of this collection for weeks and all of his intel has made it clear. The third volume of 'The incongruity of time and self' by a long dead philosopher has somehow found its way into this rundown bookstore in the sunniest region of Caido.

The scholar has been studying the works of this long dead contemporary out of both curiosity and intrigue. The volumes touch upon the nature of souls, self, and memories across one's lifetime. Some of the theories it presents are hard to comprehend, ones claiming that the manipulation of memory is the manipulation of ones' self, down to the soul for example. It's as fascinating as it is harrowing, and Nikolai has been enjoying comparing such theories to more standard works of philosophy.

As such, he enters the bookstore and quickly make a beeline for the philosophy section, almost bumping into someone looking at maps, hoping that the final volume is where his resources have suggested. Skidding to a halt in front of the section he quickly scans the shelves. To his delight, it's there.

Reverently removing the thick tome, Nikolai flips through the pages, checking for damage. It's old and warn as expected, but it's in astounding condition for a book it's age. "Yes!"
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
I will fight the end
Ronin can't see Nikolai as he enters the bookshop. He can't see much beyond the sprawl of little, faded tunnels on the map, in fact, and they only get closer as he's barged into. "Oooop!" he stumbles back a bit - into a shelf, as it happens, and a few novels on the top shelf come raining down. A couple tumble near Nikolai, and one in particular bonks Ronin right on top of the head.

"Ouch," he hisses, lowering the map and rubbing at the bump on his head, before glancing towards the (very excitable) scholar with a wince. "Are you okay? Sorry about that," he says, unaware that Nikolai is the centre of this chaos vortex. No, Ronin merely tries to fold up his map, which responds as if he's attempting an act of violence, and completely refuses to cooperate.

'til the end is here

Coding base by Sky!
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai only processes his error when he hears Ronin yell out. The Ascended's shoulders rise as he tucks into his book slightly. Peering over the rim to eye Ronin with guilty eyes he responds, "I'm ok. Umm... are you? I thought I heard one hit you." Figures he'd manage to injure someone doing something as benight as looking for a book.

Nikolai bites his lip to stifle a chuckle as the man in front of him struggles to fold his map. It's a good thing he's holding his book so high, otherwise Ronin would certainly see the peak of fangs. As it is though, Nikolai tucks the book under one arm and points at the map, still resisting the urge to laugh. "Do you uh.. need a hand?"
Some lie in wait
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
I will fight the end
"Hm?" Ronin glances back to the scholar as he continues fighting with the map, pausing only to offer him a self-deprecating smile and a pat to the top of his head. "Oh, I'll be alright," he assures him. "I've got a thick skull, it'll take more than a book to knock me out." True, and also indicative in the way he's trying (and failing) to get the map in his hands to comply.

"If you wouldn't mind," he admits with a laugh. "This is of Rae's Fingers - I admit I didn't expect the map to be so big." holding out one end of the large square of parchment to Nikolai, he begins again to try following the creases in the map to fold it. "It didn't even do me any good besides. Thanks for your help, though."

'til the end is here

Coding base by Sky!
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
"Good. That's a relief." Nikolai relaxes slightly once it's clear that there's no lasting damage. But with one mournful look at his book, he realizes that he'll have to put his studies on hold for now. Reaching over he takes the map from Ronin.

Before he folds it up, Nikolai scans the map curiously and committing it to memory. He then meticulously folds the map, making sure that every corner aligns. "Rae's Fingers you said? What are you looking for out there?" The map had seemed recent, but likely only had common knowledge. The fact that this man seems to be looking for something beyond that, piques his interest.

"Oh, and I'm Nikolai. Nice to meet you." He mentally pats himself on the back for the lack of stuttering or awkwardness. Looks like all of those missions with Wessex lately have improved his acting.
Some lie in wait
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
I will fight the end
As the scholar rescues him from his own map-folding endeavour, Ronin double checks that the cut on the back of his head isn't bleeding and isn't going to leave a nasty bump (or a concussion, he makes strange and wonderful decisions when he's concussed). Once he's satisfied - by which time the square of parchment is looking much less chaotic, he offers his new acquaintance a warm smile.

"Ronin," he introduces himself. "And I was trying to see whether there was a reliable route of the tunnels. Queen Maeve asked if I might help to deal with the Eirachi shrine that someone made in there. It's the reason why the Torchline weather has been so chilly."

'til the end is here

Coding base by Sky!
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai only just barely manages to hide his fear and rage when the man gives his name. What Ascended hadn't heard of Safrin's Demi-god? Especially given what he helped do to Nate. But he manages to focus on the conversation, listening intently for any information he can use.

"The shrine is causing that?" Nikolai's eyes genuinely widen. He's heard rumors that the shrines were Wessex's doing, but he'd never have guessed that they'd cause the weird weather. "Have there been negative repercussions beyond it being cold? Crops and such? Are the people ok?" The Ascended might hate the Old Gods with a burning passion, their followers as well. But there were innocent, neutral people living in Torchline as well.
Some lie in wait
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
I will fight the end
"Mm, it is. I think something similar is happening in King's End too, because that is still covered in snow," Ronin muses, accepting the map back and setting it back down where he'd found it, since it doesn't seem to be helping him very much. It was worth a shot, though.

"That's probably more of a question for Maeve to be honest," he says apologetically, regarding any further repercussions. "I haven't noticed much yet, but I imagine it certainly won't be having a positive effect."

Sighing, he ruffles a hand through his hair and gives a faint smile to Nikolai. "Anyway, I will leave you to your reading. I hope you find what you came in for!"

'til the end is here

Coding base by Sky!
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai watches to make sure that Ronin puts the map away properly, satisfied when he does. If he hadn't, Nikolai would have absolutely reached over and fixed it himself.

The Ascended's brow furrows at the lack of a real answer. "Damn. I hope it's not too severe." He couldn't exactly ask Maeve though. Who knew what the Queen of Torchline would do to him? She didn't seem to be horribly anti-Ascended like some, but he'd rather not take his chances.

Nikolai weakly returns Ronin's smile, "Thanks. I hope you find what you need too." With that, he turns back to his book and leaves the store. He makes sure to walk at a normal pace, but it takes some restraint not to sprint away from the Old God's Demi-god. All the Ascended wants is to find a cozy spot to read his book now.

-{FIN}
Some lie in wait