Baby with the Bathwater
For Jude
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
A steadily unsteady routine had begun to form between Harper, Maeve, and Phoebe when it came to Jude. Most days he was with Phoebe to allow their bond to deepen. Some he was with Harper and Maeve. Today though, he had been at daycare. Not because his parents were too busy to care for him, but because the exposure was good for him. He was in his formative years after all.

They had gone on an outing to Rainbow Road today - a favorite with the children because of the pretty colors. Phoebe anticipated a baby in good spirits but sleepy from the day out. Now she just waited for them to return.
she's changed, you can see it in her eyes
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
living in this big blue world with my head up in outer space
Stirring stars instead of sugar in my lemonade
Daycare is delightful, but today? Well. Today, Jude doesn’t know what to do to console his nearly hysterical daycare attendant. She holds his hand tightly in her own as they return to the school well before the trip was supposed to be over, refusing to let him stray from her side. Jude doesn’t mind - it allows him the ability to gently pat her hand with the one that remains free, trying to comfort her somehow.

Aging is weird. He knows it happened, knows he had wanted it somewhere in his heart, but it’s still weird all the same. Though the body feels natural, the mind has gone from a mere bud to a blossom, and he can’t help but stare around at everything they pass, delighted to witness them with new eyes.

The attendant sees Phoebe first, and before Jude can even point her out the frantic woman is dragging him over to the Nightingale. “I’m so sorry, I don’t know what happened - took my eyes off for just a second - must have been too close to a shrine -” Jude tries very hard to pay attention, but it’s hard. So instead he waves ar his mother with a sunny smile, still held - unthinkingly he’s sure - by the other hand at the attendant’s side. “Hi mom!” he says in a soft, sweet tone, completely unaffected by the chaos of the day.
JUDE
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe squints when she sees the group coming from a distance. Strange, there seemed to be a much older child with them. But as they came closer a lump began to form in her gut. Her motherly instincts were alert and beginning to panic. Brown waves of hair, round brown eyes, golden undertoned skin...it couldn't be. But oh, it was.

The attendant's words rolled off her like water as she slowly knelt to be at the same height of the boy infront of her. Her baby. She reached out and placed her hands on his cheeks, finding him to indeed be real. Her son was no longer a baby but a boy. "Oh, Jude..." she whispered, feeling tears begin to rise but choking them down. However would she explain this to Harper? She looked up at the daycare attendant, using all her willpower to keep her cool. "Your negligence cost us years of his life." she said curtly, taking Jude's hand from her. "He won't be back."

Then she turned with Jude in tow - he could walk - and prayed to Frey for strength. "How did this happen Jude?" she asked, wondering if he knew.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
His mother lowers herself to meet him, and the attendant finally seems to realize she’s holding Jude unnecessarily because she releases him. Jude giggles a little at the sensation of Phoebe’s hands on his cheeks, delicate enough to tickle him. They stop as soon as he notices the sheen to her eyes, expression falling. “Don’t cry mom,” he urges, feeling his own chest tighten with an empathic desire to cry with her.

Luckily - or unluckily for the worker - she turns her attention away, and Jude’s shoulders rise and he ducks his head, feeling guilty for the way the attendant nods silently, clearly still upset. But he doesn’t resist as Phoebe gently ushers him along, happy to walk at her side now that he finally can. His free shoulder shrugs in a dramatic motion. “I don’t know, I saw something shiny at the Rainbow Road and went to go look at it, and I was thinking about how I wanted to talk to you and everyone and poof!” Little fingers gesticulate wildly. “Now I’m big!”
JUDE

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
It starts as one. Then another. And then another. And soon a whole herd, keeled over as if asleep, but of course you know that can't be the case. These ramphire do not move; their chests do not rise and fall, and all appear to have been killed recently, all at once. How? You don't know. But there's no blood. Not a single drop to be found.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"I won't baby, mom is made of tough stuff." Phoebe quickly assured the boy with a kiss on his temple. No crying. She had to be calm for Jude.

As he explained what happened, Phoebe felt a pang in her chest. Some spirit or diety must have answered his unspoken prayer and made him old enough to talk.

But before she could respond an entire herd of rampire keeled over. She stared in shock, realizing the entire herd was suddenly dead. But how?! Quickly she pulled Jude to her side in a protective manner. "We have to hurry up, baby. she said, looking around for a place they could quickly take shelter in. A small shop that sold sweets and ice cream was open and she hurried them both into it.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
He is young - and naive - enough to take her words at face value, still capable of trusting wholly in the words of the adults around him. So he smiles serenely, swinging their connected hands a little as they walk. Only to jolt and crowd immediately into Phoebe’s side as a herd of nearby ramphires begin to keel over without a word or any predator in sight. Jude presses his face into his mother’s clothes as she brings him close, not wanting to see more than he already had, what little he understood of it.

He blindly follows her where she leads, and only tentatively emerges from her skirt when he notices the sun is no longer on his shoulders. The sweets around him are a tempting visual that help ease the rapid rise of his chest. “Is everything okay?” he warbles uncertainly, Phoebe’s own eyes staring up at her for reassurance before he lets himself relax enough to emerge from her shadow.
JUDE
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"Yes, everything will be alright. Momma will make sure of that." Phoebe said with an even tone, kissing her son's head. Kissing his head! At a height! Oh she mourned anew what she had lost but kept her smile for him and him alone. No one else mattered. Just Jude.

"Do you want some ice cream? I know that was scary but everything is fine." she said gently, coaxing him towards the colorful stands of ice cream and sherbert. A distraction from the very real travesty he had just witnessed. Thoughts of LongNight in the Hollowed Grounds swirled in her head, but surely they were safe here, Torchline yet unadulterated by the Voice's influence.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
He emerges slowly, but the easy chatter of the few people in the shop is a normalcy that helps him move on from the brief but heart-stopping sight of the ramphire herd suddenly slumping over to the sand. Instead of stepping away fully, the little boy tugs on his mother’s hand and bounces over to the display cases, stepping onto the smarty provided stools placed to entice and assist the shop’s best customers - children.

So many colors await him, and he has tasted none of them, having been too young for such sugary treats before. “What’s your favorite flavor mom?” he asks, hoping it would give him a starting point.
JUDE
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe was glad he seemed to rebound from the terrifying experience. It reminded her of Harper and his flexibility. It was a good trait to have but made her oddly sad. "Well my favorite is strawberry cheesecake. But your dad's is salted caramel." she said, pointing them out. "Why don't you have a little of all of them though?" she suggested.

She glanced at the shop owner who merely nodded. She had delivered one of his children in a difficult delivery without extra charge once upon a time. Her son had never tasted ice cream, and she wanted him to have the freedom of choosing whatever he wanted. She could give him that at least.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Each answer is carefully sorted into his young brain. 'Cheesecake' is an unfamiliar notion to him considering Harper and Maeve had been so careful with his sugar intake even as he'd approached one year old, but he can estimate well enough. Caramel is the same, but the golden color is less familiar than the pink-red of the strawberry. Those, at least, are familiar. Cubed and sliced in various ways throughout his childhood.

Before he can ponder the idea of choosing, his mother provides an alternative Jude would have never thought possible, and he turns to stare at her with stars in his eyes and an open, shocked mouth. "We can do that?" he whispers, simultaneously eager and uncertain. "Won't that be...a lot?" A lot of ice cream to finish, depending on how big a scoop was - not that Jude even knew that much yet - but also a lot to barter, or so he assumes.
JUDE
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Seeing the look of awe cross his features at this new possibility was enough to melt her heart. Was it right to let a child his age try 32 different ice cream flavors? Probably not. But these were the sorts of joys he had missed in not growing up as nature intended. "We sure can!"

"We will do quarter scoops of all of the flavors." Phoebe said, and the man at the counter set to the task. "Then it won't be so much. And mom will help you." She said, ruffling his hair and kissing his head.

Once the big bowl was filled to the brim, Phoebe carried it to a small table and handed Jude a spoon. "So that one is my favorite flavor and that is dad's favorite flavor." she said, pointing them out. "The rest is up to you to decide!"
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
His heart is full with love, and he squeezes closer into her space as she kisses his curls. No matter how everyone else feels about it, Jude knows he made the right choice in getting older. Now he can tell them how much he loves them, can hug them back and talk to them. It’s everything he could have wanted. “Thank you mom. Thank you sir!” he chirps to the seller, and waits very, very patiently for the bowl to be filled to the brim.

As they sit with their frozen monstrosity, Jude attentively watches the path of his mothers spoon as she points out the two flavors. He tries them both immediately, a serious expression of consideration on his face. “Hmm. Dad’s favorite is a little too salty. I like the strawberry though! Just not the chunks.” His nose wrinkles slightly. It had been quite cold, the little cube of cheesecake. “What’s your second favorite?” How delightful to realize his mother is an entire person of her own, and to be able to ask her things like preferences!
JUDE
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe is glad to hear her son thank the store clerk. He might've aged quickly, but he seemed to have the sort of manners she would have instilled in him.

A warm smile curved her lips as she watched him seriously consider the ice creams he tried. She took her own scoops of the flavors, nodding with a serious expression at his assessments. "Very good observations, Jude." she said.

Then she pointed out two new flavors. "My second favorite is chocolate chip cookie dough. But if you liked the strawberry, this pink one is strawberry ice cream." she explained.