[se] evolve or repeat
for Tal
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Online
Change author:
MP: 9824
DEIMOS
The sound of iron shots is stuck in my head
The thunder of the drums dictates
New responsibilities failed to keep the Sword away from the barracks (not much would). Still believing Halo’s militaristic might to be an encouraging and growing platitude, he deigned points of his duty to be continually structured around the sway and practice of the warriors. And perhaps, in some part, it was where he was the most comfortable – a home amongst weapons and shields, targets and climbing walls; safety for safety, shelter for shelter.

Today was an encouragement in ensuring the catapults were still in working order. It’d been a long time since they’d been utilized, and dragging them out along the range of the Citadel wall (where he intended for their group to fire them over the ramparts and see the residual span and scope) wielded several paces of inspection. Before long, some measure of rot was discovered amidst the wood, and repairs were firmly established between himself and the more mechanically inclined of the combatants.

Earthen incantations roamed along frames of timber, carving their nuances into newly reformed proportions – and that was where anyone roaming by the soldiers and Sword alike would spy them – tools at their feet in the snow, gloves tossed aside, and banter flickering back and forth amidst the work.
The rhythm of the falls, the number of dead
The rising of the horns, ahead
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"Special delivery for the General," a familiar voice rang out as a pale dragon circled lazily overhead. The dragon angled downward, rumbling a warble of greeting as she banked in for a landing in the soft snow, and a few minutes later her companion trotted towards the wall surrounding the Citadel and the various weapons of war under repair there.

Tal grinned and ducked his head at the laughing calls of greeting that rang out from some of the soldiers, pleased at the recognition even if he didn't know quite how to respond beyond an awkward wave of his free hand.

The other carried an insulated bag from which the occasional wisp of steam escaped as he slowed to a halt beside his friend and threw a tolerable attempt at a salute, wrinkling his nose as he looked up at the taller man and tried to keep a solemn expression on his face. "You're gonna want t'sit down for this one," he suggested, pale eyes merry and bright.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
DEIMOS
Even if the rank and title had changed, his head turned away from the wooden beams of the catapult and towards the familiar tones, arching a brow distinctly as Talyson made his way over. There were a few modest grumblings amidst the soldiers for a variety of reasons, and the Sword found himself snorting besides, eyes flicking back to the craft at hand as the courier made his way over.

While Belial suddenly swooped along the air (probably because he’d spotted the dragon) and landed in the basket of one of the weapons, more earth incantations replaced rotted and broken timber within. Patting the initial mended instrument of war, he nodded towards a group of warrior brethren, who instantly made a beeline for it, plying and playing with the mechanics for a moment.

Only then did he step back and give Talyson his full attention, gloves pulled back on as his gaze drifted from the messenger, to the bag…steaming. “Why…,” he intoned, mystified and bewildered, and very suspicious, before he did as instructed, settling along a stump.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Boreal kept a glinting weather eye on Belial as she started making her rounds among the soldiers who were friends of the Seawright family, getting distracted pats or enthusiastic scritches depending on who was getting to repair or aim various catapults. Her scaly tail sketched serpentine wags through the snow behind her as she put her broad paws up to investigate one of the mechanisms with curious sniffs before a brave soul pushed her nose away from the lever before accidental mischief could occur.

"I figured you could use reinforcements," the courier confided, dragging a discarded timber over to sit on before opening up the insulated bag. A cloud of steam wafted up, redolent of spices, vegetables, and ningo meat. He fished out one of the wax paper-wrapped hand pies and offered it to Deimos before pulling out a second for himself. "It's comin' up on lunch and my sis Mal always makes a couple extra so I snagged one for you." He looked entirely pleased at his small act of theft as he juggled his pie and blew on it to try and avoid a burn. "How're they lookin'?" A nod of his chin towards the catapults indicated what he meant, though a curious tilt of his head as he studied the siege weapons revealed his inexperience with them.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Deimos, ever watchful and conscious of his companion’s wanderings, narrowed his eyes in speculation as Belial didn’t deign to annoy or irritate the dragon – which meant something else was giving way in the peryton’s mind. Sure enough, moments later, the deer had sequestered himself into the basket of the repaired mechanism, lowering himself, and then stilling entirely, unseen for a seconds, before a tag wagged in excitement.

Already plotting and planning some manner of insurrection against the creature, the Warden’s attention slid back to wariness for only seconds thereafter – as explanations of steaming bags and settling in amongst stumps didn’t bring unsettling or traumatizing news. The opening of the satchel brought forth warmth and aromas, and he couldn’t help but snort as the apprehensive and hesitant wiles of his mind could tend to something more comforting and assuaging. He nearly felt the need to apologize, but the explanation already felt ridiculous behind his teeth, so he angled for a shake of his head instead. “Thank you. I would appreciate that.” His hands went for the offered pie, permitting the heat to waft along for a moment in the residual, chilling air, as Talyson described his theft. “Will you get caught?” A notion that passed only because of how many times his own family had discovered him pilfering; before taking a contented bite.

His eyes flickered to where the messenger’s attention roamed, granting a nod while swallowing the concoction. “Some portions rotted out and mechanics were a bit off. Figured we could repair them, and then test them again.” The reasons why went unsaid; war was war.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The courier practically beamed as Deimos accepted the offering and over by the weapons Boreal's tail wagged for both of them for a moment. Belial was out of sight above her and the greetings were fading as the soldiers focused once more on their tasks so the dragon found a warped and splintered beam that had been tossed aside - the width of a human forearm and nearly five feet long - and settled down into the snow to began cracking it to kindling with her heavy jaws.

"Oh, probably," Tal admitted cheerfully. "Dierdre's never been caught in her life, an' 'Lexi's out learnin' my route this Longheat, so I'd get the blame anyways. Just means I'll get stuck on dish duty tonight, but Dierdre's makin' reindeer stew an' Boreal likes to lick out the kettle, so it works out in th'end." And never mind that they'd had to get a bigger kettle a couple of years ago because the dragon had gotten their original one stuck on her head the first time she'd tried doing it after hitting her full growth. That had been an ordeal for everyone involved!

He wrinkled his nose at the mention of wood rot, taking a distracted bite and then having to suck chilly air in fast to cool the morsel as it almost burned his tongue. "Hoooo ah, yeah, guess we're racin' the clock now." His cheerful mood dimmed and teetered on the edge of a grimace as he slanted a glance at the new-again Warden. "Heard there's some sort o' silly sanctuary thing goin' on out in the wilds. Is there any truth to it?"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
He muffled a snort, content to munch and listen. Deimos had been caught on a regular basis too, even when he’d changed up antics, because his mother’s shrewd capabilities had far outmatched his own. Taking a few more bites, his eyes lifted once to Belial, who remained occupied, watching the others work, before his stare circulated over the rest of the working warriors, listening to them tinker, complain about a stuck portion, or start to exclaim excitedly when something began to maneuver under their power.

Swallowing down another portion, his head swung back to the courier as the subject altered, eyes flickering towards the dragon and newfound kindling, pondering the depths of avoidance, and then figuring it wouldn’t matter. “The Safe Haven.” He nodded, leaning back along the stump, barely managing to withhold a sigh. “Sunjata is running it. I helped with some portion of its building.” The Sword’s shoulders shrugged, because he’d only done so to ensure protection of those who wouldn’t, couldn’t, or shouldn’t have to manage the war. “I do not trust him,” at all, at any point, “but hopefully it will provide shelter. I heard any who journeyed there would be sequestered away for the entire war.” From there he let the silence settle and sit, waiting to see reactions and impressions.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Deimos conveyed his mistrust in word and shrug and Tal wrinkled his nose in thought. For once he didn't blurt out the first thing that came to mind but instead took the time to mull it over. Sure, it was because his mouth was full and he couldn't talk until he finished his bite, but it was still a modicum of forethought.

"Mom always said, 'if somethin' sounds too good t'be true, it probably is.' I figure this Sunjata guy has his heart in the right place, mebbe, but there isn't a bribe big enough t'get me to go there." He nodded decisively. "I mean, this is my home, y'know? Even if y'did trust him, I wouldn't leave it. Even if I'm not strong enough t'fight with you on the front lines, I can still run messages for you durin' the battles an' stuff." From the General to his captains and lieutenants, to coordinate the defenses or turn the tide and shift their forces onto the offensive if an opening presented itself.

"D'you know anyone who is going?" he asked curiously, figuring the new Warden might have heard things that a mere courier hadn't yet.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Halo’s citizens were stalwart, hardy, and determined – otherwise they wouldn’t live in the shadows of the mountains, at the foothills of summits, amongst the press and cross of harsh elements. So it didn’t surprise the Sword at all to find Talyson among the many who wouldn’t be journeying towards the Safe Haven, regardless of its name, purpose, or origin, managing another snort around the last bits and pieces of the pie, brushing his hands together as he swallowed the portions down. Defending one’s home was a strong, eclipsing endeavor, and the clarity of the situation, regardless of the subject, pressed another small inking of a smile. “I believe most of Halo feels the same as you do,” and likely very tired of their kingdom being threatened for any number of reasons.

A courier’s role on a battlefield was still risky, and it caused Deimos to pause as well – because messages may be difficult to send to him, regardless of location. “I am not certain if I will end up here, or pulled away to fight elsewhere.” He could always hope for the former, but the latter seemed far more likely – given strength, might, and circumstances. His eyes fell to the ground for an instant at the last inquiry. Because he didn’t – even if he could somehow wish Kiada would find her way there, out of reach and harm’s way. “I do not.”
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The pie went down faster as it cooled off enough for the courier to stop nibbling and start inhaling it. He still found the time to return Deimos's smile with a grin of his own, proud of his people and his home and certain of their stalwart natures. It was hard to imagine anyone he knew abandoning their friends and families at such an important time, when every hand would be needed. Not just to fight, but to support the defenders on the walls with bandaging, feeding, repairing weapons and armor, all while carrying on with the everyday lives of all the people within the Citadel.

As for himself, Tal wasn't quite as overconfident as he'd once been. Some lessons had actually been learned, but strides had been made in fleet-footedness, strength, and fighting ability as well.

He wasn't surprised that even Deimos hadn't heard of anyone who would be going to such a sketchy 'Haven,' but hid friend's other words had Tal wrinkling his nose in confusion. "Pulled away?" he repeated, a questioning note in his voice as he licked crumbs from his fingers. "You're the Warden... where else would y'be when the fightin' starts?"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
“Where the Gods dictate,” came with a shrug of his shoulders, as if half-heartedly optimistic that the notions may not even occur at all. But he also wasn’t going to undermine Noah’s words, and the probability that the strongest of them would be commanded elsewhere – no matter where they reigned. At least some of the misgivings could be waylaid with Evie’s dual Warden stature, though they’d yet to discuss those associations and potential parameters; everything fresh and new in many circumstances. “Hopefully I am wrong.” And he’d be amidst Halo’s walls, protecting and defending.

But this was also why he put so much effort into ensuring everyone else knew how to shield and guard, how to fight and rally, how to utilize tactics – in case he simply couldn’t be there.

His gaze swung away from the courier, and back towards the mechanical engineering at work, biting his tongue as someone pulled a lever completely the wrong way, but figured out their mistake moments later. “I am not certain how this war is going to go,” based on movements, strategies, and practicalities – a different level of combat and strife than he’d been immersed within before. “But we will continue with ensuring Halo is prepared.”
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Oooooh, right. The Gods. Tal's nose didn't unwrinkle until he sighed and nodded his head in aggrieved acceptance of the inevitable. "I guess that makes sense." Though Deimos wasn't a demigod and didn't technically owe allegiance to any one of the pantheon, bound to come when called. On the other hand, the courier already knew which way he'd jump if one of the Old Gods wanted his meager talents, so he couldn't really argue otherwise. "I'll hope you're wrong too, though."

Because when it came down to it, Tal had a whole team of concerns yapping around inside his skull, but there was no going against what the gods decreed and Tal just sighed and nodded agreement with his General. "Yeah. I'm thinkin' of askin' Frey for a weapon that'll do... somethin' magical. I just haven't figured out what, yet," he admitted sheepishly. "I wanted t'go with a glaive. Somethin' between my axe and spear, y'know? But I was gonna ask if you had any suggestions for what it could do."
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Perhaps Talyson’s trail of thought would’ve been segmented into certainty – had Deimos’ loyalty not been given over to Safrin. That was an allegiance in itself. The Sword had no intention of backing out of his faith, beliefs, foundations, and adherence – and so, much like the rest of the stronghold, he’d be expected to traverse amidst impending, and grim, challenges. Maybe he’d be proven wrong (it’d happened before), so he merely shrugged his shoulders at the response, rising from the stump and walking back to the first catapult.

Crouching slightly under one of its mechanical levers, he pulled and tugged on a few broken and rotted proportions that hadn’t been replaced yet, as Talyson began to consider magical weaponry. Infusing several Earthen incantations into the timber, his calculations could air on the possibility of distraction when discussing armaments, and so applied his own basis and potential into the mix. “Do you want to do something offensive or defensive? Elemental?” A blade that could protect the user for a time, that could infuse fire or water or electricity – the possibilities were nearly endless.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
When Deimos went back to the catapults, Tal took it as tacit permission to join him. The courier peered under the Sword's elbow at the fiddly gears and tongues and struts with open fascination, his woodworking experience giving him enough background to appreciate the strains and tension and flexibility in how the timbers had been cut and joined.

"Mmm... Offensive, I think? At least... something to fuck up my opponent. The blade should do plenty of damage on its own. More wouldn't hurt - heh," he smirked at his own accidental joke. "Well, hopefully it would, but I dunno if elemental is the way t'go. At least... doesn't seem much point in doin' cold damage in Halo, an' Boreal's got the fire covered already." He reached out a hand to trace a bracing strut and knocked against it, hearing the soundness of the grain and giving an approving nod that the bones of the machine were still good.

"Where's the trigger?"