[SE] we're all indoor cats now
Flora
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
i want to taste you again
Longheat is usually a time for the Ark to have returned from her Flowerbirth voyage, for Jack to be taking stock of things and preparing for Leafchange while the world outside boils. Not so much this year, it seems. Things are still dumbfuck chilly and there's, y'know, a fucking war on the way, so that's thrown a wrench in his plans a bit.

But the captain is nothing if not lucrative, and where there's a will, there's a guy willing to make a deal about it. He's just said farewell to one such associate, clasping wrists and exchanging something small and powdery as their fingers slip away from one another, before turning to head back up the gangplank of the Ark to make secretive chicken scratches in his ledger.

If he's going to live to see the world beyond what the gods have planned, he's got to start somewhere, after all.
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
walk me home in the dead of night
"No but really, with everything going on, I just don't think they care." Flora was saying to a leather-skinned man whose eyes dropped towards her cleavage after every second or third word before flailing back up again. Not wanting to be caught standing by the port alone, Flora was willing to trade a few ogles for the presence of another person. Besides, it wasn't like she was showing much of anything given how chilly it was. At best he could see her nipples through her tanktop and the bulky but sheer sweater overtop, and at worst it was the line of her cleavage. "I mean really, it isn't like you're going to be struck down before the war just for going through a portal." The man seemed to disagree, for he gave his head a violent shake and held up a wrist where a number of poorly tattooed stars spilled up his arm.

Spying something (or someone) over her shoulder, the man moaned a note of indecision and took one last eyeful of Flora before disappearing back onto the docks where he should have been working this entire time. Huffing out a note of annoyance to be left alone again (and courierless still), Flora rolled her shoulders and scanned the harbour for...well, for a ship with a large sign that said "I HAVE FLORA'S COURIER" on it.

Seeing not a single ship with this signage on it, Flora did notice the way several sets of eyes had grown large before the efficiency of the docks suddenly seemed to double. Glancing over her shoulder to see what was responsible, both Flora's thoughts and her expression dazzled with delight to see none other than Jack swaggering her way. "Hey!" She called out, filled with relief that sparkled like so many diamonds rather than the cautious fear that clouded the minds of everyone else who'd seen Jack.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Using the ripples of wariness as a means of orienting himself more than anything, Jack is still scratching away in his ledger, having pulled out a slim stick of peppermint bark to chew on, when Flora goes off like a fucking firework just before him. Blue eyes flash up and he sidesteps a second before they risk bumping into one another, bring him smoothly to her side. "Well if it ain't the only sunshine Torchline's gettin' these days," he drawls, snapping the ledger shut and tucking it under one arm.

"You come to hassle the dock workers all special like?" he wants to know, nodding at the star-spangled idiot she'd been talking to (he's just out of range of Jack's telepathy, which is a bit of a shame because he'd been quite enjoying the mix of panik and boobies in his mind.
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jack's words have their intended desire, showering Flora's thoughts with opalescent pearls that sparkle and shine. "And if it isn't the rugged Captain Jack." Blushing, she rolls her eyes as if his flattery meant nothing to her (instead of everything), before nudging his shoulder flirtatiously/casually/sexually (at least, that's how she thought of it).

'Maaaaaaaaaybe." She purrs, waggling her eyebrows, before nodding towards the portal. "I was just saying what a big deal everyone always makes about using the portals." Flora explains. "I mean..listen, using the portals as an Old Gods follower is like...an even bigger fuck you to the Voice, if you think about it." Which clearly in the past 5 minutes Flora had. "Like, you're just using her services and still worshipping someone else. Pretty big slight if you ask me." Which Jack hadn't, but you're welcome anyways.

"You...on your way back to the Ark...?" She asked, leadingly completely casually.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
In contrast, Jack takes the compliment (and shows it) as if it really is another slice of nothing - because yes he is rugged, and yes she ought to have noticed - but the blooming flower of her thoughts is enough of an incentive to keep the charm turned up. "Don't be too hard on 'em," he warns of the dock workers that Flora is obviously blowing away with her wit and beauty. "They got shit to do, y'know?"

Sucking thoughtfully on the sprig of peppermint bark, he follows her gaze over to the psychadelic shimmer of the portal and lets his head loll to one side. "Mm, I'm not so sure the Old Gods'd see it that way, but I get it," he murmurs. "Why, you been bucking the trend an' usin' em?" He smirks, the suggestion being, of course, that there's a lot more that might be bucking if they weren't standing here having this conversation.

Or if she wasn't Remi Taliesin, aka Tall Dark and Fucking Scary's daughter.

"As it happens, I was. It bein' my livin' quarters and place of business an' all that." He tilts his head. "Unless you got somewhere better I might be."
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
"Mmm, they certainly seem to find lots of things to do as soon as they see you." She notes sounding appropriately impressed, drawing the conclusion that their haste was because of how important Jack was, rather than how murdery and short-tempered he could be.

"Thinking about it." Flora replies, all cleavage-causing shrugs and hooded eyes. One of her many ringed fingers reaches out for one of the wooden railings, trailing suggestively along it. "I'm getting awfully tired of waiting for this courier to show up, so I thought why not go to him?" Not for the first time in one of their conversations does Flora try to make it sound as though Jack has something to be jealous of. Perhaps if her thoughts had been coloured red he might have been, but instead, all she could think of was arctic white and the vast unknown that was Halo.

Pressing her lips together, Flora offers a lopsided shrug as she gazes doe-eyed up at Jack. The thing was, time was growing short. There was a war coming and either Flora could be a part of it and maybe die, or she could go into Sunjata's little Secret Garden thing while maybe everyone else died. All she knew for sure was that there were only a few weeks left of things being the same, and she intended to capitalize on that before everything went to shit.

Between my thighs is what a more experienced Flora might have said, but as those were yet uncharted waters for anything but her right hand and the odd experimental bit of vegetation, the thought was nothing more than a haze in her mind. "Well you know...last time I was aboard the Ark I had to show myself around." She murmurs, trying and failing at making that into an innuendo about masturbating. "Might be nice to have the Captain show me...?" Another swing and a miss, but you know what they say, it's the thought that counts.

Especially with Jack.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
"What can I say? I'm just that type of guy," Jack drawls, that type of guy being ruthless and amoral, but it's alright. Flora doesn't need to know that, and the golden shimmer of her thoughts against the backdrop of caution and panic makes them all the shinier for it. Watching the glitter of her fingers along the railing, the captain scoffs out a laugh under his breath that might easily be misconstrued as jealousy doing the trick (rather than the amusement of her attempt).

"In my experience, love, if you gotta go find a messenger or a courier, you may as well have done the job yourself," he remarks. Especially if, as she rightly muses, time is beginning to grow very short for all of them. "What's he bringin' to you anyway?" he wants to know, already angling to make his way back to the Ark, since that's where the conversation is pulling them anyway.

Raising his eyebrows and glancing over his shoulder at her, Jack gives her a slow look up and down, as if making sure every curve gets his attention, and finally offers out his arm. "How could I possibly say no?" he purrs. "The Ark can work just as well as portals, by the by. If you ever wanted a ride."
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
"Well it certainly seems that way." Flora purrs, seeming to grow in confidence the longer the pair are together. Not only does it do wonders for her self-esteem to be found so casually at Jack's side, but she finds that genuinely it's a place she likes to be.

The roughness of his voice as it shapes the word love has a warm shiver rising up from Flora's lower back. "Next time I'll be sure that you're my first port of call then. Especially given how easy it seems to find you." If there ever was a next time, that was. "Some feathers from Halo and the Climb. Remember when you walked me to the shrine?" Flora shrugs casually as if was commonplace to have someone else complete your quest for you.

Startled by the sudden attention, Flora clears her throat slightly while trying to subtly roll her shoulders back and pose her hips just so. Having not realized she'd been holding her breath (and sucking in her stomach at the same time), until he held out his arm and she heard herself sigh. Slipping her arm through his and then curling her hand around that she might cling to as much of him as she could, Flora felt as though there was a star newly born in her belly, shining and burning for all the world to see. "Oh, I think there are a lot of things you could do if you wanted." She counters, glancing up at him over her shoulder. "I'll keep that in mind. Is...that where you'll be spending the war? On the Ark?"
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
Love that for you, Flora. Jack, meanwhile, is still half focused on the ledger tucked under his arm - but some focused on the girl clinging to his other arm as well, at least. "Well, if the Ark's in port, you know I'll be headed back there eventually," he drawls as they meander their way back to her gangplank. "Mm, I remember. Frey was kind to you, then?" he assumes.

"You'd be thinkin' correct," he agrees - there absolutely are a plethora of things he could do if he wanted, and a lot of them are to her at this point. Funny how a stunning ass and a good pair of tits can make you start to forget about an angry, grumpy demigod, huh.

They head up the gangplank arm in arm, Jack helping her step down and onto the deck before leading her along the rail. "That's my plan," he confirms. "The Ark can fly in the moonlight, so she might be pretty useful. Besides, gotta make a good impression with our fine Lady of the Stars."
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
"Very. Everyone warned me about them but they were really lovely.' She adds, shrugging, but only so she could feel him against her anew.

Adoring the way people were looking at them (wrongly interpreting glances of check out Jack's new whore for approval and jealousy), Flora slinks up the gangplank as graceful as a big cat. "Oh?" Reaching out to brush her fingertips against one of the masts, Flora bites at her lip as she tilts her head back to appreciate just how tall the Ark was. "So...no safety hiding land for you." She summarizes, her mind too full of the thrill of flying through the skies to properly judge how Jack being in the war made her feel.

Mention of Safrin has Flora's smile growing crooked. Placing her free hand on Jack's bicep, she huffs. "I've only ever seen Safrin once." She admits. "She isn't my Dad's biggest fan so I don't want to make a bad first impression."
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
Resisting the urge to wipe Flora's touch off the mast as she brushes her fingers about it (no offence, but whatever if it's taken), Jack can only take her word about Frey. "Can't say I've had the pleasure," he says. "Abandoned ain't the gods' favourites. Not like you."

He scoffs away the mere idea of hiding somewhere safe while there's Torchline for the taking (er, defending), shaking his head as they walk around the main deck so she can observe the view from each side of the Ark's railings. "Nope," he concludes. "Too much to do out here. If I gotta, can always take the Ark somewhere safer until the bullshit dies down."

His blue eyes slip down towards her as he feels her touch against his arm, the captain watching her for a moment before offering her an equally as crooked smile. "Imagine what you'd want someone to do to make a good first impression," he says, "an' I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong." Safrin might not have the same daddy issues (or does she) but he knows her penchant for flattery and attention all the same.
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
Chirping a note of pride and pleasure, Flora shrugs her shoulders in a bouncy jerk. "Well, if you ever need a good luck charm next time you go to a shrine, you know where to find me." That place was surely her apartment, but the image in her mind was of her waking up next to him in bed.

'The bullshit is never going to die down.' Flora remarks with an odd mixture of prophecy and carelessness. "It's always going to be something." She adds, watching a group of men haul up a rope that looked as thick as one of her calves before wondering just how many women worked aboard the Ark.

"Oh, I know. That's why I'm waiting it out. Pageantry is only going to get you so far, is my thinking. And yes I know I could play the whole You love Ronin and wouldn't it piss Remi off if we were besties card, but I want it to be about me you know?" Though the shine in Flora's eyes doesn't diminish as her smile does, it softens somehow. Deepens. "Because I'm good enough to like on my own." She adds far more softly as her gaze slips from Jack's and drifts towards the ocean.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
Only practice prevents Jack from scrunching his nose at the image in her mind, and instead he directs them up towards the quarterdeck where the Ark's wheel, naturally, is polished from use and shines even in this limited Longheat sunshine. "Well, I need to visit Safrin," he says quietly, "so I reckon I might wanna do that alone until you're better acquainted."

Speaking of which, as Flora slips through her own shallow pool into the depths beneath, Jack can only offer her a raise of an eyebrow, as if he's trying to decide whether she means it or if she's just very good at lying to herself. "C'mere," he says, beckoning her up in front of him. "This ship's figurehead is Safrin, so this is almost like meetin' her." Sure, Jack. Whatever you say.
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
"Oh? What for?" Flora wonders, realizing only too late that her words had been green-tinted with jealousy. Clearing her throat to suggest her tone had merely been because of something caught in her throat, she forces a smile that manages to brighten her thoughts.

Though Jack's cabin was the thing Flora wanted him to take her to, the prow? bow? fucking front of the ship wasn't bad either. Only...oh.

oh.

"So..she's..." Flora's mind sparks white and remains loudly confused for a few moments. There were boobs, which..well, they were really good actually. Really good, but it was also Safrin and so it felt disrespectful to stare, but gods they looked as though they'd fit perfectly into Flora's palm, and—

"...uhm...wow, that's.."