Training catch as catch can
For Jigano
Lucas Copperhead

Age: 38 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Lucas had noticed something that perhaps he had not given due credit to since before LongNight. He figured it was just a downside of being Ascended, but... he felt shit during the day. Not only that, but he didn't just feel normal at night. He felt better. Having been toying with the idea of just what 'better' might mean, he had found himself outside late one night. A sudden downpour had just stopped, leaving the Sancuary alive with the drip of water.

The Ascended stood before a low wall in a sideways stance, about ten feet back from it, green eyes almost aglow as they cut ever-so-easily through the darkness. That, at least, was something he was used to from before he had tumbled into Caido. Narrowing his eyes and focusing hard on the wall, he pushed off with his back foot and damn near blurred towards it. He barely stopped in time not to catch his shins upon the thing, but he did stumble over it, hissing a curse through his teeth.

Barely feeling as though he had exerted himself, Lucas turned and ruffled a hand through his hair. Okay, so stopping needed work. But he was definitely faster than before.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Wiser heads were already in bed, but Jigano slept less these days with the loss of his dreams. It wasn't that he needed less sleep - quite the opposite! - but sleep no long brought the rejuvenation it once had. Ever-practical, he decided that he would use the time as best he could, driving himself to exhaustion so that when he did find sleep he was too exhausted to notice the lack of dreams.

Hence why he was out and about on this damp Flowerbirth night, stretching his legs after a long day of researching in the Atheneum and working the kinks out of his neck and shoulders. Isuma was sleeping contentedly in her basket in his office and he had thought he would be the only one enjoying the post-rain cleanness of the air, but the sounds of splashing feet - running hard and then stopping abruptly - tickled his sensitive ears. Shifting his eyes to a fox's slits, he ambled towards the source of the sound and was surprised to see a familiar blond man standing beside a low wall. Tilting his head to the side, considering how churlish he'd been the last time they'd met, the bard gathered himself and headed in that direction, clearing his throat to let Lucas know someone was coming, though he was making no effort to hide the sound of his footsteps through small puddles.

"Looking for company tonight?" he called quietly through the darkness, not wanting to wake the neighbors. "Or just out clearing your head?"
Lucas Copperhead

Age: 38 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Lucas had been considering a second try at the wall to see if he could get the hang of stopping in time when, out of nowhere, the sound of footsteps echoed through the night. The Ascended glanced up, arching an eyebrow before recognition sparked in his eyes. He offered a lopsided smile and a small nod of greeting to Jigano. "Neither," he said, stepping over the wall and ambling up to join the bard. "Though company is always welcome."

Jigano certainly looked better than when Lucas had seen him last, moping about in the infirmary, but Lucas couldn't help but wonder what had brought him out here. "I've noticed something curious over the past few nights, and I was testing it out," he explained. "I seem to be a lot faster at night. I feel better in general, in truth. What about you? Looking for company or clearing your head?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Ah, Lucas. Most of the people who had come through from other worlds seemed like good people, or at worst neutrally self-absorbed. But first impressions could be deceiving - a bard should know that better than anyone. The blond had been welcome enough company in the Infirmary during Long Night, but Remi's suppositions over who had taken his mask weren't to be discounted either. Jigano studied the green-eyed charmer as he approached, keeping his expression courteously welcoming as he considered the man before him. With no proof of guilt there was no reason to treat him any differently than he would have before... but perhaps with a bit more wariness.

He tilted his head at Lucas's observations, a slow smile spreading over his face at the newcomer's abilities. Ascended indeed, then. "I'm stretching - clearing my head, I suppose. I've been poring over books all day and needed to get out and stretch my legs a bit. My mind might be well-exercised, but my body could definitely do with a bit of the same before I'll be able to get any rest," he acknowledged, more cheerfully now that the Spark Bird, Ludo, and his friends had done much to assuage his guilt and returned some light to his life. The bursting vitality of Flowerbirth didn't hurt, either, even when it was wet and dark. The night air might still hold a bite to it, but at least the snow was gone and unlikely to return anytime soon!

"But let me guess - sunlight burns you and during the day you feel sluggish?" His smile turned a little lopsided. "Sounds like you turned into an Ascended when you brought here, whatever you were before."
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:
Of all of Lucas's skills, past or present, mind-reading was regrettably not one of them. So whilst he could try to discern Jigano's thoughts and feelings from his expression, he was not to know of the newly kindled caution that the bard fostered towards him. Hearing the other man out and letting his hands sit in the pockets of his coat, Lucas gave a slow nod. He recalled briefly that Jigano had mentioned being part of some Loreseeker thing - it sounded like it would need a lot of staring at tomes, yes.

"What kind of books?" he asked, honest in his curiosity, only for his nose to wrinkle as the bard managed to expertly explain all of the weakness he'd been feeling. Lucas nodded emphatically. "That pretty much hits the nail on the head, yes," he said, looking down at himself as though that might... help to identify how to fix it, or something. "Mm... I've heard as much from a few others, but it appears there are still some kinks to work out. I nearly destroyed my shins just now, trying to stop before that wall."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"All kinds!" Jigano answered with a laugh that trailed off to a chuckle. "But today I was working with a few texts in a language I spent all of Deepfrost deciphering, so now I can read through what a previous Outlander librarian wrote... though rather painfully slowly." He shrugged ruefully. "One is a medical text, another is an herbal, and a third talks about some sort of old cult, but some of the pages are damaged." He grimaced, considering the historian's curse that all of the truly interesting passages invariably had ancient coffee spilled on them.

At least he knew a little more about Ascended now, however, and he gave Lucas a lopsided grin. "All it takes is time, I'm told. I've seen Ascended who can walk in the afternoon sunlight without harm. Give your Lady time and a chance to mix up the right cocktail for you, and you'll be able to as well, I suspect. Though I'm not sure she'll be able to help with stopping any better!" He grinned, cocking his head at the blond, who might or might not be more trouble than he looked like. "Do you think you just need to practice getting used to your new reflexes?"
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:
"You truly are quite the scholar, aren't you?" Lucas said with a smile of apparent approval. "Well, slow as it might be, I hope that the texts are useful - even the damaged ones. I don't suppose you can just fill in the missing parts with your own stories?" That would be sure to confuse any future historians for sure, but it seemed like the sort of petty trickery that was much more Lucas's style than Jigano's. At the further knowledge about his kind, he drew the Ascended's attention in earnest, Lucas tilting his head and listening intently.

"Time, you say? Well, that is a relief. I rather enjoy not being all but immobile during the daytime," he commented, smirking and rubbing at the back of his head. Granted, it did seem to make up for it at night, the Ascended glancing over his shoulder back at the wall as Jigano brought up 'practicing'. "Mm, I was considering it. There's a street down there-" he nodded just past the wall, "-that is mostly abandoned, with plenty of overhangs and other debris. I was considering using it as an obstacle course. And there might be... I don't know... knowledge... if you wanted to join me?" He laughed, unable to help himself. That was weak, even for him.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Thank you," Jigano said, accepting the apparent compliment, but raising a silvery brow at Lucas's 'helpful' suggestion. "Historians as a whole do tend to frown on that. We can make up all the stories we want in our own books, but writing over someone else's - especially someone ancient and conveniently dead's - work isn't considered, ah, sporting." He grinned, though, taking in the blond's 'affliction' and sharing a little of what he knew.

"Have you had a chance to meet her yet?" he asked curiously, stepping closer to see the street Lucas mentioned. Fox's eyes made it easier to see through the shadows. He wrinkled his nose a little at the debris, but mention of an obstacle course had him grinning again. "Well, it would give us a chance to test your abilities at night time," he said thoughtfully. "Against a normal human baseline," Well, mostly normal. "And perhaps we could run it again some day when the clouds give you enough cover to test it safely, so you know what your limits are - and your strengths?" He tilted his head to the side, smiling slyly at the blond and making a gracious bow. "Please, you seem to have a better idea of how you want to run this. I'll keep time and watch the path you take, and we can see how closely I'm able to follow it on my turn."
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:
"Alas, I thought you would say something like that," Lucas said with a good-natured smirk. Bloody mortals and their endless wanting to walk the straight and narrow - most of the time, anyway. It used to be that he'd only have to give a subtle nudge to lay a civilisation to ruin, but it seemed like now all he had was his petty cruelties. Ahem, but enough on that for now.

"Hm? Her?" He stopped at the mouth of the street, already eyeing the debris and other suitable obstacles. "Oh, do you mean the Voice? She spurned me, the first time I tried to speak with her. But yes, I have met her now." And a very fine working relationship they had, too. Hearing Jigano out, he nodded in agreement with his idea.

Lucas grinned across at him, moving up to stand at what would essentially be their 'starting line'. "That sounds good. I'll run and you keep time, then we'll switch. Then perhaps we can both go, and I'll see if I can effectively pursue you? I know there's speed in me, but grace... we'll see."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
There were other tricks the once-kitsune might be willing to play, but given who and what he was the desecration of knowledge - particularly ancient knowledge that couldn't be restored - or the spreading of lies to his vocational, spiritual descendants was anathema. It was also something he knew those outside the fold wouldn't understand, however, so he merely rolled with Lucas' joke, and deflected to a different topic with a (mostly) innocent question. "Did she, now?" the bard murmured in some surprise at hearing that the Ascended had been spurned. The Old Gods' shadows had shown a certain fickleness in the past, but the Voice seemed dotingly eager to answer her 'children' or those engaged with them. Still, as long as the blond had eventually achieved access to the lady's sustenance and her approval, he'd be in no danger of starving to death. Or would it only be stasis?

"Pity we can't find a course we could run side-by-side to make it a proper race," he mused. "With your nocturnal enhancement I suspect you're faster than I am, so pursuing me might not have much point. Not when you'd catch up to me before we'd barely got off the starting line! But that doesn't mean we can try and shift some things around on a second attempt, maybe make it more challenging for you, as you say?" Tight corners, for instance, might prove an effective obstacle until the newcomer got his Ascended legs under him.

The bard shook off his musing, grinning at the blond and walking to the mouth of the alley with him. He squinted down it, frowning slightly at the shadows until a sliver of moonlight peeked out from clouds, lancing down from overhead to silver the wet surfaces of the Settlement around them. Objects were thrown into washed-out relief against shadows suddenly so black even Jigano's fox-shifted eyes couldn't see into them.

A discarded slat of wood from the Long Night cleaning served as a stick, and he began to tap a soft but steady rhythm against a pole that held up an awning of what was a store during the day. Unsurprisingly, the bard was as even as a metronome, though much better-looking as he kept the time to one beat per second. "Whenever you're ready," he invited with a flash of a challenging smile for his companion.
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:
"Mm. But I was not punished, per say. There was merely no response when I approached the first time. Mayhaps she was washing her hair." The Ascended smiled crookedly, good humour in his tone now that he had received an audience with the Voice. Obviously at the time, he had been mightily insulted by the slight.

"Alas, the streets here are anything but easy to navigate." He chuckled. "I only suggested pursuit because of the obstacles. I might be fast, but my little stunt with the wall earlier proves I am not nearly as agile at that speed. You might well get ahead."

The sound of a soft thumping against the ground was curiously calming for Lucas, and he glanced to his companion with a grateful nod (though it wasn't certain whether it was just for the metronome). "Very well," he said, turning to face the alleyway. His eyes cut the darkness like a knife through silk, Lucas picking out any obstacles and deciding how to tackle them. Then he simply bled away into the night, his steps echoing softly at a speed much faster than was natural. In no time at all he had reached the end of the alleyway and back again, his coat billowing behind him as he stopped.

"How did I do?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I experienced something similar during my first shrine visit," Jigano agreed with a wry grin. "Maybe they just like making sure Outlanders are serious about praying?" Whatever the reason, theology would have to wait while they took a more focused approach to the merely mortal concerns of a newly Ascended and a curious scholar.

"I freely admit, I'm not fond of being chased, either." He said it cheerfully enough, but there was a warning glint in his blue eyes as he grinned at the blond. "I've had to run for my life one too many times for it to be much fun to 'practice.' But I'm sure two clever men such as ourselves can find something else for measuring your abilities!" Regardless, they had a place to start and a goal to meet. Jigano began tapping out the time and the Ascended...

Disappeared?

No... not quite. Squinting foxy blue eyes he could follow a blurred shape in the darkness that came momentarily clearer in the moonlight and virtually vanished in the shadows. He raised a brow as the blond came to a stop - much more balanced this time, it looked like. "Eight seconds," he said, impressed. "Very nicely done!" He handed the stick over and waited for the Ascended to find his rhythm before the white-haired man took off.

He didn't run as fast as he could have, holding back to check his footing so the shadows didn't hide something to trip him up, but he made it back in about fifteen seconds, reaching up to pat his hair back into place with a raised brow of question.
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:
Lucas flashed a fanged grin at Jigano's compliment, ducking into a small bow and taking up the staff to tap out a rhythm that was hopefully as steady as the bard's had been. It would be a little insulting if he was off count when they had both professed to be musicians, after all. Only when Jigano rushed away to start his own run did Lucas allow himself to show he was slightly fatigued by what he had done, counting out the rhythm and nodding as the other man returned.

"Fifteen," he said. "Though I would like to point out that you would definitely be faster than I if the sun were up right now." Laughing softly, he offered the stick back out to Jigano. "Perhaps we could try something else...?" Glancing around at the debris, Lucas spotted a few pebbles.

"I rarely ask to have someone throw rocks at me, but maybe this will test my finer motor skills..." He chuckled.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It was hard to keep count while running and watching one's footing on the dark, slippery cobbles, so while the bard had a general idea of his speed it was nice to hear a number from someone less distracted. "Yes, running at night and in the wet isn't the best combination for me," he agreed with a grin. "But that's the point, isn't it? The puddles probably aren't doing you any favors either, even if the moon is a gentler mistress than the sun to you."

He finished straightening his hair and clothing in a subconscious tidying that was nearly automatic, especially when he was around strangers. Appearance was another layer of armor, of control, that he protected himself with, exuding an aura of confidence that was shored up by at least looking like he was in control of himself - and, by extension, his surroundings - at all times.

The suggestion of throwing pebbles had him laughing softly, and he went to gather the loose little stones, checking carefully as he picked up a handful to make sure they were smoothly rounded and lacked sharp edges. "Do you want to try and dodge them, first?" he asked curiously "Then, afterwards, we can see if you can catch them in mid-air? They're small enough to prove a challenge."

With a grin he hefted one of the small rocks and raised a brow at Lucas, measuring the distance between them. When the blond gave him a signal that he was ready, the bard flicked the first projectile at the center of the man's chest. The next followed a breath later, Jigano switching targets from stomach to shoulder to head to arm - but keeping his targets courteously above the belt as he increased the speed of his throws and decreased the interval between them if Lucas proved adept at dodging the earlier projectiles.