[SE] they shine for you
Ophelia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081

Ronin is technically here on Eirachi shrine destroying business, it's true, but given that Torchline was his first real home outside of the Grounds, he's always had a bit of a soft spot for it. And so since he's visiting, it makes sense to pay his respects to Safrin while he's around.

The sun hasn't long set, and so although the skies are still streaked with the light of its passing, there are stars, too, dotted overhead. They're below as well, but they come in the form of small tealights in colourful jars that Ronin has set up along the perimeter of the lighthouse.

For those who know stars, he's arranged the candles into various constellations, and when he's finished and happy with the design, he steps back to admire his handiwork. Hopefully his goddess appreciates it too.

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Age: 29 | Height: 5'3 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Ophelia

Ophelia does not often visit Torchline, given its connection to Safrin, but as they gaze at the towering building on the side of the cliff they wonder if perhaps they should remedy that. Architecture is hardly a priority in the Grounds; the closest they have to such a slim yet imposing structure is the Spire.

Quiet footsteps bring them closer, examining the building with face tilted to the flirtatious stars above. Distracted enough by the light overhead to not notice their company until they’ve nearly made it to the base. Blinking in surprise is a learned habit, but unnecessary, and they smile dreamily as their path shifts to wander closer to the man setting up little lights. “Do you know what this building does?” Their far away voice appears with no proper greeting or manners, but their countenance is entirely benevolent.
With your naive heart you praise God above
But how's it working for you honey? Do you feel loved?
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Starting at the sound of a voice, but smiling as he realises it's just a stranger come to visit the Aumakua, Ronin follows Ophelia's gaze up the length of the pale stone to the light that pierces from the very top. "Well," he says, "it is a shrine to Safrin, but more than that as well." Brushing dirt off his pants from kneeling on the ground, he steps back to stand with them.

"The building functions as a lighthouse," he explains. "The light at the top is bright enough for ships out at see to be able to notice it. That tells them that there are cliffs, so they can alter their course and avoid crashing." Smiling across to the stranger, he offers a hand in greeting. "I'm Ronin. This your first time to Torchline?"

RONIN
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Age: 29 | Height: 5'3 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Ophelia

Ophelia’s expression is a blessing in this case, eternally dreamlike and far away as it is it conceals the desire to frown in distaste at the mention of Safrin. Being covert in other lands is unfortunately necessary for Ascended.

At least the man is pleasant, and informative at that. Scholarly types seem to flock to Ophelia, they think to themself with no small degree of amusement. “If they cannot see in the dark to see the cliffs, how do they know how far away to navigate?” they inquire, tilting their head at the swiveling path of light overhead, freshly awed. Turning and noticing the outstretched hand, Ophelia smiles warmly - closed-lipped of course - and takes the man’s hand, their own smooth and cold as they shake it firmly. “Ophelia. Yes, this is my first visit; I’ve only ever seen the ocean once before. Are you familiar with living on the coast?”

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
It starts as one. Then another. And then another. And soon a whole herd, keeled over as if asleep, but of course you know that can't be the case. These ramphire do not move; their chests do not rise and fall, and all appear to have been killed recently, all at once. How? You don't know. But there's no blood. Not a single drop to be found.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

Shaking hands and considering their question, Ronin's brow furrows - he hasn't ever considered that. (Also give it time - he'll soon prove to be quite the opposite of a scholarly type). "You know, I'm not really sure," he confesses with a lopsided smile. "The port is just down by the beach, though. I bet there are some clever sailors who might be able to answer your question."

As for living in Torchline, Ronin gives a warm nod. "I used to live here," he explains. "I don't any longer, but it's always nice to come back and visit. You ought to see the sunrise, it's beautiful." And here he gazes over the Aumakua and beyond, as if to visualise the rays of light gently stretching across the grasses - which is about the time he sees the silhouettes of the ramphire.

Eyes widening, Ronin steps towards them. "Do you see... gods," he breathes. "I'm so sorry - I have to go."

RONIN
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia

Sailors seem the best source of information, and Ophelia nods gravely, as if they are discussing quite the serious matter. “I think I will do that. I have never even seen a real boat before.” Unless the little dingy style boats on the Oasis count, which Ophelia - having unfortunately seen them - definitely wouldn’t.

The unmoving bodies keep their attention a little too long when they appear - any words they may have for Ronin about Torchline or sunrises are swallowed back at the sudden urgency he displays. Nodding serenely, Ophelia lifts a hand in parting. “Of course. Be safe, please.” Whatever had killed the creatures may still yet be wandering.

Only when he is gone does Ophelia tilt their pale head. Observing. Considering. Moving closer, so they might investigate the ramphires up close.

Curiouser and curiouser…

- Fin