A wave on the ocean
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
It was a simple request but a long journey out to the distant depths at the edge of Torchline's watery boundary. The unnatural cold of the air was offset by the warmth of the water around the Maw; the great current coming down past the Climb kept the usual chill of the deeps at bay, and perhaps the dormant volcano itself contributed something to the mix of temperatures in the area.

Still, there was also some warmth to be found from the afternoon sun on the water's surface and Hadama dove swiftly into the caldera with his glass jar, slipping away from the light and into the heart of the volcano's great crater to scoop up the water within. He corked the jar and rose at a more leisurely pace until his steely head broke the surface once more, looking around at the unbroken expanse of waves stretching as far as the eye could see that hid the sleeping giant below.

Even riding to the top of a high swell the coast of Torchline was only a distant haze on the eastern horizon, though the Kuali Isles were slightly more solid points of stability closer to hand. After a moment's consideration he sent a plume of water thirty feet in the air, like the spout from some great whale, and enjoyed the patter of it as it rained gently back down onto him in crystalline drops that caught the sun like falling stars.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray had been fishing at the Maw, hoping to catch some rarer fish for her medicines. She had been having decent luck so far and was just beginning to relax when the plume of water went up.

The Attuned's eyes went wide as she saw the display, jumping to her feet and scanning the water.  She wasn't sure if it was a whale or some other creature. Regardless, it was best if she knew just what was in the water beside her. Hello? Ray called out through the Attuned bond just in case. Of course, Hadama might not hear her, but the herbalist didn't know that.
Nature itself
Will kill you
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The Attuned bond was no different than the telepathy that the merfolk used to communicate, and though the mental voice came from a distance and was weak because of it, Hadama still paused and tilted his head to the side as he tried to pinpoint its source.

Yes, he sent back, a simple basso affirmation typical of the laconic mermanta.

He used his magic to push the water he rested in higher until he could see farther and then he spotted the sail he had been too low in the water to see before. Letting the liquid fall back into the ocean he dove, swimming for the shape at the very edge of shouting distance until he could see the hull.

He surfaced slowly and cautiously, steel-grey head breaking the water first, followed by dark brown skin. Streaks of gold chased over his body beneath the surface, gleaming in reflected light that cut through the water, and eyes of emerald green considered the boat's occupant calmly. Hello, he returned her earlier greeting politely.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray relaxed instantly when she heard a voice come back through the bond. It felt different, which puzzled her. But it soon made sense when the mer appeared. The Attuned blinked for a second, eyes going over her new companion. "Oh wow."

Shaking her head to clear her surprise, Ray grinned at Hadama.  Given that the mer continued using hte bond, she did as well. Hi! I'm Ray. I'm sorry if I disturbed you. I just saw a shape in the water and got a little nervous.

The Attuned chuckled slightly, I hope it's not rude to say, and I really don't mean this in a malicious way. But you are gorgeous. I just love your whole color scheme.
Nature itself
Will kill you

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
Usually pods of pink encantado are a welcome sight on the waves - but not this time. Bobbing, not swimming, these creatures look as if their have been dead for some time. Pale and bloated, they appear to have been entirely drained of blood.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama tilted his head in acknowledgment of the human's introduction and her uncertainty, both. There was certainly wisdom in being wary of large, unknown shapes this far out into the ocean, and his manta wings spread wide enough to be startling to those unfamiliar with his shift.

Ray's compliment would certainly have garnered more of a response if the pod of dead encantados hadn't floated into view and brought a pause to the introductions. The mermanta's calm expression shifted subtly as tension entered his jaw and shoulders. He swam resolutely over to examine the poor, slain creatures and then gathered his water magic to move them farther out to sea and away from Ray's boat. The lack of blood meant that sharks wouldn't be drawn to frenzy, but it was better to be safe and not take chances.

I am Hadama, he said when he returned to Ray's side. It is a pleasure to meet you, Ray. And thank you. But he didn't sound enthusiastic about her kind words. Not when his attention continued to be drawn towards the retreating pod. There has been too much death in Torchline this season...
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray's heart dropped at the sight of the encantados. I've been getting reports, too many. It was horrifying to see in person. The usually playful creatures unnaturally pale and still. She watched silently as Hadama gently led them away, sending a silent prayer up that the pod found peace in the after.

The Attuned smiled softly, Good to meet you too. And there truly has been. I hope we can figure out what's causing this sooner rather than later. It's horrific. Ray shook her head to clear the melancholy, knowing that if she dwelt on it for too long, she'd be miserable. There was nothing she could do at the moment, so it was best to compartmentalize the information for now.

Although things have been rough lately, there are some good things still. Ray started, wanting to cheer herself and Hadama up. Just the other day I saw a whale with not one but two calves. And they were all healthy and happy, playing in the water.

Another recent memory popped up as she spoke, Oh! And just this morning I saw a dog and her puppies hanging out by the docks. And get this? There were two kittens with them! The mother dog had adopted them and was raising them alongside her puppies. it was adorable.
Nature itself
Will kill you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Yes, he said simply. Both to the creeping horror of the deaths themselves and to finding out - and ending - the cause of it. It is not the way of the mer. And the fact that it had extended to the encantados and the realm of the sea was of particular offense.

But he listened gratefully as Ray sought a lighter topic, and at the mention of the new mother he nodded recognition. I know of her. The calving was a blessing. It has been welcome news in the undersea. Where in recent seasons - recent years - there had been little enough in that City.

The mention of puppies and kittens took the merman longer to parse. 'Cats' and 'dogs' were unusual enough, though he'd learned of them in his travels through the canals. Their offspring had their own names, of course, and he had to draw on context as well as memory before he nodded in understanding. A welcome harmony, he agreed, his approving mental voice a deep, quiet rumble like distant summer thunder.

He relaxed slowly into the more pleasant topics, and tilted his head at her in courteous inquiry.

What brings you this far from shore?
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
They truly are. Ray smiled softly, both at Hadama's words about the whales but also that the mer seemed to be relaxing. She felt a small measure of satisfaction that she was able to help her companion, even if in just a minor way. Perhaps it was because of her occupation as a healer, or maybe it was just her desire to help all that she could. Regardless, was a welcome feeling.

I'm out fishing. I've been trying to catch some of the more obscure varieties. There are a few rarer species here that apparently have healing properties when used in medicine. I wanted to find some and experiment to see what I can make.

The Attend paused, Though being a mer you might actually know if there are such species. Do you know if there are? Ray chuckled warmly as she added, I run an apothecary in Torchline where I sell medicines and tend to locals in a small infirmary.
Nature itself
Will kill you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
The search for medicinal fish brought a curious tilt to the mermanta's head, and a gleam of recognition in emerald eyes. Do you know a woman named Evie? he asked first. Ray was not the first human to seek medicine in the waves that he had run into, but he was certainly glad to meet more humans inclined to the healing paths.

Especially after all the dead animals that had been found lately.

There are ghol fish here," he added, nodding at the expanse of deep ocean around them. They are used in undersea medicine. I do not know the specifics, he added, apologetically. Some of the kelp and sea plants may be more useful to you.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray shook her head, No, I've never even heard that name before. Is she a healer too? If that were the case the Attuned would definitely need to pay her a visit and compare notes. Nothing was better than gaining new medical knowledge. Forever learning, that was the only way to be an effective healer.

Ghol fish? What do they look like? I've love to catch some. The mention of aquatic plants and kelp also made the Attuned perk up. I'm hoping to get an aquatic shift soon so that I can harvest foliage like that. Gaining new shifts was a slow, often random process. And Ray really liked the idea of being able to dive beneath the waves and explore.
Nature itself
Will kill you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
She is, the mermanta confirmed. She lives in Halo. But she visits here sometimes. Something he could certainly understand. The discomfort of Torchline's lingering Deepfrost was bad enough, but from what he'd heard Halo was far, far worse.

Still, sharing healing knowledge transcended borders - or so he hoped. Bringing two such medically-inclined people together should have a favorable outcome for everyone involved.

He nodded at her curiosity towards Ghol fish, tilting his head as he was quiet for long moments in thought. They are two to three feet long, he said finally, his words slow and careful. Narrow tail. Long, low dorsal fin. Darker on top, with pale tan scales edged in black. Its fins are orange at the base.

He paused again, then inclined his head in respect for Ray's hopes. Healers are welcome in the sea. If you would like to harvest ingredients, I would help. He held up his hand and the simple, glittering ring on his finger. Until you have your shift, if you swim near me you can breathe underwater.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Never underestimate
The lengths to which
Ray nodded; I'll have to pay her a visit. When Hadama started describing the fish, the herbalist quickly pulled out her sketchbook from her bag and started jotting down the description. When he was done, she spent a few moments and did a rough sketch. Turning the book around he asked for his opinion, Something like this?

The offer is unexpected and Ray smiles gratefully, That'd be incredible. Thank you. She glanced at the sun's position with pursed lips before looking at Hadama apologetically, But I can't today. I have to be getting back to the shop soon. Can we meet up in a few days and do it then?
Nature itself
Will kill you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Although curious as to what Ray was doing, Hadama waited silently as she sketched. He floated with serene patience, in no rush (he rarely was) and content that she had a reason for the appearance of paper - a rare and fragile commodity on the open sea. When she turned the page around to reveal the likeness of the fish he had described his steely brows rose a centimeter in surprise, and admiration slid through the Attuned bond.

Yes. The face is more blunt. And the dorsal fin is further back. But it is very close. He tilted his head in acknowledgment of her artistry before making his offer for her to join him in the deeps someday, and there was a sense of quiet pleasure when she accepted.

But the day was getting on and he, too, wanted to store his jar of Maw water safely, where it wouldn't be lost or broken. Yes, he agreed easily. I will look forward to it. He swam backwards a ways to give her room to place her sail or oars, then gave her craft a gentle push with his water magic to get it started in the right direction before he submerged and dove to begin his own journey home.

~Fin~