[SE] An armor of skin
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Sah

Sah had sent word to Deimos the day before, asking him to join him for an ursur hunt. The Abandoned hadn't hunted with his friend for quite some time, so despite the circumstances, he was looking forward to it. Despite his eagerness to complete his quest, he'd learned the hard way that hunts needed patience and one's full attention.

A lesson that Deimos himself had enforced once Sah was recovered from the shark's bite. The Outlander wouldn't make that mistake again. As the Warden approached, Sah raised a hand in greeting. "Hey Deimos, thank you for coming. Are you ready?" With his sword at his hip and a bag of his usual hunting and skinning supplies, Sah was.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Deimos
Dare we know the halo's hanging low
Leaving time for himself, friends, and loved ones had been a goal for the Sword since taking on Wardenship – mostly because he knew exactly who he was, and what he would do, given enough time and pressure. The sheer determination in not sinking into apprehension, constant overwork, and driving himself straight into nothingness combined into a decent set of boundaries – for the time being. Work was completed, and then there’d be moments of play.

Which was to be an ursur hunt.

Leaving the barracks behind, and the recruits, fellow warriors, and soldiers efficiently scolded, reprimanded, trained, or complimented for the hour, he marched towards the gates, snagging at his companions. Belial was more than eager to unfurl his wings and glide ahead, while Zuriel stayed along his side, waiting as he pulled on his gloves.

A jut of his jawline came along before the rumble of his greetings. “Sah,” he uttered, dragging the sled along behind him. “I am. Are you?” Perhaps meant to be a tease, considering the last altercations with hunts.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah

Sah chuckled, "Somehow." He adjusted his bag and nodded towards the tundra, "Let's go find our ursur." As they made their way away from the Citadel, the hunter started looking for tracks and other signs of a passing ursur. Any claw marks or paw prints, heavily damaged ice from being crushed under heavy weight, or remnants of past kills.

As he searched Sah glanced at Deimos, "Thank you by the way. For agreeing to come hunt with me. I need the skin for my first quest."

He shook his head with a look of mirth, "I've hunted ursur before. But somehow doing it for that reason makes it far more intimidating than usual." He was glad that he had the reliable presence of the Warden for that very reason.

The Thunder paused suddenly and inspected something in the ice. It was a large print with deep gouges from heavy claws. "I think I've got something here."
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Deimos
Deimos, ever the proponent of getting things done quickly and efficiently, had learned and experienced notions of tracking from Noah on many of their hunts. He watched as Sah did the same, taking the time to notice any passing marks or prints in the snow. “You are welcome,” though the next statement gave him the slightest pause from narrowed eyes and the quiet dragging of the sled. He’d known the Abandoned to be vocal about his notions towards the deities – so the arch of his brow curved in response. “From who? I did not know you were interested in the gods.” At least, in any positive light.

The Sword had hunted quite a few of the ursur as well, so he shrugged. “As long as we do not become complacent,” for the world they’d been immersed within was dangerous and treacherous, even if he was just as so.

Upon Sah’s next inspection, he crouched down to notice as well. “Could be. Do you want me to send Belial ahead and see if he can spot anything?” A faster approach, and the peryton would be out of harm’s way.

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
At a distance, the Ursur looks like nothing more than a snowdrift. Upon closer inspection, however, its thick white fur and huge tusks make it stand out as a once fearsome predator, now fallen and lifeless. There are no major visible injuries upon the creature - no blood at all to be seen - but this does not look natural.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah started down the trail, giving Deimos a slightly sheepish look. "I've talked your ear off before about my feelings towards Caido's Gods." He chuckled slightly but his brow furrowed as he continued, "I just... with the war on the horizon I had some questions. About souls and afterlives in terms of the different races." He glanced at Deimos, "Outlanders like us especially."

The Abandoned hummed as he started his brief story, "I went to a shrine and prayed to Mort to see if maybe he'd be willing to give me those answers. To my shock he came, and he answered every damn question that I had." That fact still blew him away.

Sah paused, deep in thought before he added, "I'm not sure how much of what he told me, showed me, that I'm allowed to share. But I'll just say that what he set me at ease." The deity hadn't said that Sah couldn't share anything, but he also hadn't said that he could. And with the topic being the afterlife, the Abandoned figured he'd air on the side of caution.

"Meeting Mort kind of helped me get over some of my misgivings towards Caido's Gods. At least, enough that I was able to muster up enough courage to seek Safrin out for some help in crafting an armor idea that I've had for a while now."

Sah sighed, "I'm still not sure where I stand with Caido's deities, but I'd say that my overall impression of the Old Gods is more positive now than neutral. At least a little bit." Mort especially. Sah now held a deep respect for the God of Death.  

The Outlander glanced at his friend, realizing that he'd probably just dropped a bomb on Deimos. Again. Maybe causally mentioning that he'd met Mort was a bit too much?

Sah was about to give an affirmative to Deimos' offer about Boreal when he saw the ursur. "Fucking hell. This is the second one I've seen this week." The Abandoned approached and sure enough the bear showed the same exact signs or lack of, as the last one. "Do you have any idea what's causing this? Maybe send Belial ahead and see if there are any others that have died?" And if the peryton saw an alive one, then they could get back to hunting.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
Deimos had already heard information about the life after, from Naturals, from those who had long since been educated on the subject matter. As an individual who didn’t fear death, and certainly had experienced it enough times before, he only inclined his head, ready to listen to whatever Sah had snagged and witnessed, heard and enforced, for himself. The notions of Mort arriving was another matter altogether, and his brows went upward in some impressed platitude. “Congratulations.” Pondering over the complexities of sharing the notions, the Sword shrugged. “Many Naturals have commented on going to Mort after we have passed.” But it was good to hear the Thunder had found some satisfaction in the sentiments expressed, rather than any further displeasure over deities.

And Safrin caused another arch of his brow, and keen edge to his smile. “What sort of armor? I had her assistance with some recently too.”

Capable of withstanding much in the way of discussion or antics, the Warden continued to pull the sled along, until they came to the ursur. Dead. Emptied. His eyes narrowed, speculations grown wild again. “I have seen this several times. I do not understand the cause. And with war on the horizon, that has been my main focus…,” and a sigh followed, a slight wrinkle to his nose on something else they’d have to address in the meantime. But he nodded, and the peryton swept off into the air, intending to search out the perimeter.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

"Thank you." It was a little odd to Sah to be congratulated for meeting someone. But given that Mort was one of the 'Big three' it kind of made sense. Granted, that had been his first one on one conversation with a God of Caido. Maybe that fact alone was what made it 'congratulations' worthy.

"One that creates a protective barrier. The version I'm working on now will only protect me, but I'm hoping in the future Safrin will help me in expanding its radius of protection." The goal had been to create an armor that did so from the start, but there was too little time for such a long quest.

"What kind of armor did you create?" Given that the Warden could create his own magical items, Sah was curious as just what this armor was that needed a deity's aid.

It was a bit of a relief to hear that Deimos was already aware of the strange ursur deaths, but equally unnerving that he too was unaware of the cause. "I see." Sah's brow furrowed, "If things calm down after the war, it'll be worth investigating."

After it had been a few moments since Belial left, Sah glanced at his friend. "Anything? Did Belial find any ursur?" The Abandoned's lips twitched slightly, "Dead and or alive that is?" As much as the matter concerned him, he still needed to hunt for that skin after all. Time was against him, and Safrin was not one that you should disappoint from what he'd heard.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
He waited, eyes upward against the outset of cold, grey sky as the obsidian peryton took off, wings unfurling in midnight hues, quiet, stealthy, when he needed to be. The vague head tilt thereafter meant Deimos was listening, just with his attention snagged in multiple directions. “That will be beneficial,” remembering slightly, of crafting and creating a charm for Amalia meant to do the same – pressing those notions down into time and history. As for his own? “Armor that protects against dark magic.”

Investigating after the war meant a future forged ahead that he couldn’t be certain he’d be alive for, but another notion strung together in his skull, and for a moment his gaze rested on the patterns of snow and the vague prints of bear tracks. “Noah and I will be going to the Draig. For the war. Safrin told me,” and his jaw clenched a minute amount, before he tucked all that within. “But after. Certainly.”

The slight lack of patience on the Abandoned’s part caused a brow to arch, breaking away all the plausible possibilities of impending dread and doom. “Give him a moment.” And some distance away, the carnivorous deer had found something – after the rise of a knoll. Pointing about a minute later, Deimos signaled the location. “About 100 yards out, over the hill.” Glancing for a second at the already dead ursur, he waited for Sah’s contemplations and calculations to begin. “How do you want to proceed? I can always shift and drive it towards you.”
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah let out a low whistle, "Smart." Dark magic was often some of the most destructive. Having armor that focused on limiting its effects as clever indeed. Especially against dragons, which Deimos would undoubtedly see in the Draig. The notion of his friend entering that place made Sah grit his teeth.

"The others and I will protect Halo while you two are gone. And after you return, we should all get a drink. Or three." Speaking of the after and holding hope was something that Sah had been taught long ago. A means of rallying the spirt to prevent hopelessness and surrender.

The minor reprimand made the Abandoned pause. "Sorry. Nerves." He let out a long sigh, forcing himself to relax. Once his head was back on straight, he gave a slight nod as Deimos spoke. After contemplating for a moment and eyeing their surroundings, the Outlander figured out the approach he wished to take.

"Yes please. I'll conceal myself behind the ridge there. When the ursur emerges, I'll blind it with the snow and go in to hopefully kill it. Or at the very least, injure it enough that it's knocked off its feet and vulnerable to a killing blow." Combining an ambush with the nearby elements seemed like a decent plan. Sah could use his telekinesis and elemental manipulations to ensure that the bear's eyes were sufficiently covered in snow and ice.

Silently drawing his sword Sah looked questioningly at Deimos, "What do you think? Any alterations?" The Warden had far more experience after all. Not double checking his plan and calculations with Deimos was foolish.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
Deimos knew a grand portion of darker magic capabilities, given how many were coiled and contorted in his veins. Considering not only dragons, but any Ascended and their demigod proportions could essentially snag at the same proportions from others, the Sword had no intention of taking any chances. The calculations and machinations were set for some level of preparation other than outright offense, because who knew what else would be lying in wait for them amongst the mountains.

But Sah’s statement did earn a smile – for he knew it to be true. “Thank you.” Even if he desperately wanted to be amidst the Citadel, to protect his home and his people, the comprehension that so many others would be willing, able, and capable of defending it only eased the burden slightly.

Then he listened to the strategy, considering the implications. “And if you cannot blind it?” It’d likely be a one shot moment or nothing at all. The Warden wouldn’t hesitate to mercilessly obliterate the creature should anything go awry, but it also wasn’t his hunt nor quest. “You need to be very quick, efficient, and accurate.” And not foolish went without saying, but given his tone and the arch of his brow, he figured it was conveyed via the look alone.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah smiled softly in response, "Of course. It's our home and we've always got your back." From the time he's spent in the region, it was clear that Halo was a united force. Maybe even more so than the other regions. The people looked out for each other, and for the region as a whole. At the end of the day, all disputes were cast aside. Their survival depended on each other after all.

The Abandoned hummed in thought and considered Deimos' words. "If I can't blind it, I'll hinder its movement. Depending on the opening, either by slicing the Achilles or another major tendon. Maybe even a stab in the kidney. A strike that will then leave it open for me to go for the heart or neck." A back up that could work in conjunction with his original plan, depending on how things went.

Despite himself, Sah's lips twitched at the unspoken comment. "I'll stay focused no matter what." He would do his best to be quick, efficient, and accurate. But he would also be careful. No foolishness this time.

After a moment, the Abandoned nodded. "I'm ready."  He had a plan, a back-up plan, and if the worst-case scenario was to occur, he had back-up.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Time has stopped before us
The sky cannot ignore us

Loyalty bridged many gaps amidst Halo – tough and stern, enduring and determined, an adamant group of people who’d always forged fires together. And while Deimos would never rest easy in the upcoming, fortuitous march amidst the summits, at least there would be some sentiment of peace in the capabilities of the Citadel’s citizens. Even if it wouldn’t relent the apprehension – he knew they’d stand together. So he nodded just the same, pushing the gnawing restlessness down for another time and moment.

Sah’s calculations were far better executed this time than the other multitudes – no notions of punching out ursurs as they rambling forward, of any dramatic plunges into dirges and sieges. “All right. That is acceptable.” And he’d hold the other man to that promise, within a moment or two.

Taking the cue, the shift was imminent and graceful – poised multitudes within a matter of seconds; Warden turned thunderbird, massive and unwinding, unfurling and uncoiling until he ascended into the sky in rapid twists and turns.

Thereafter, he followed Belial’s trail, seeing the peryton in the distance, waiting for him. With a singular cue, they both descended in rapid spirals, though his was to be far more ominous, ferocious, predacious, and carnivorous. The ursur in question seemed younger, smaller, than elder counterparts, and didn’t take kindly to the sudden thunderclap exuded from his wings, nor the threat of his presence as his efforts brought him closer and closer.

The bear, by all instincts, ran. And the beasts chased, just as wild and damned.

the Resurrected Sword

No one can separate us
For we are all that is left
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

"Good." Sah felt a surge of relief that Deimos approved of his plan. It made him more confident in pulling it off, but not so confident as to grow sloppy. He watched the Warden fly off briefly, a look of awe crossing his face. The Outlander would never get used to seeing his friends shape-shift into creatures of myth.

Once Deimos was a small distance away, Sah quickly moved into position. When the ursur merged, he made his move. With a flick of his hand, he silently channeled his magic. Telekinesis, air, and water. He locked onto the snow and ice around him, mage glass on his neck warming with use.

A flurry of snow puffed up at the bear's feet, swirling towards its face. Not waiting to see if his blinding maneuver worked, Sah acted as if it hadn't. He moved diagonally to surge past the bear, attempting to slice deeply into its side as he did so. He aimed for the soft flesh beneath its ribs, where the kidney rested.

The Abandoned then rotated quickly, to assess the state of the bear, keeping his sword drawn and ready.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare