Prickly Pear
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe

It was hot. Oppressively hot. So hot that Phoebe opted for a bikini top and short cropped pants instead of her usual dress. She just hoped Noah came dressed for the weather.

She had sent him a note asking him to accompany her to retrieve a dream cactus. She knew the plant could be dangerous and figured going alone would prove even more so. If she was accidentally pricked, having nasty hallucinations on her own could prove deadly. So having a friend along made her more comfortable.

The Nightingale waited by the sulfuric pools by one of said dream cacti, a small pot in her hands with a small hand shovel by her feet. Now she just needed to wait for Noah to arrive.
i'll make it feel like a vacay
turn the bed into the ocean
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
Noah was always willing to help a friend, especially a fellow demigod who — most likely — had a higher purpose to the favor they’ve asked. Between his compass and teleportation magic, Noah made the journey in just two days time after receiving the letter. Thankfully, Phoebe was waiting for him in the spot she detailed out and he did not have to wait for her in the blistering sun.

Stopping in Torchline briefly had given the man opportunity to change his clothes and leave several of his belongings safely with Maeve’s guard. He wore the same cut off shorts and light linen shirt that he had been wearing all those years ago when he met Phoebe on the beach. ”Is this what you’ve come to harvest?” he asked after offering her a hug in greeting.
Noah
hope is a fire to keep us warm
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe smiled when she saw Noah approach. In part because it was good to see him, but also in part because the blistering heat was nearly melting her. She greeted him with a hug as well, then looked down at the little cactus.

"Yes, it is. I can dig it out myself, but I need you for safety's sake." she said before explaining further. "The needles of this plant can cause horrible hallucinations. If I accidentally prick myself...well I may need you to help keep me from hurting myself on accident." It was tricky business repotting this plant.

But she set to her task, kneeling on the hot sand and setting her pot aside for the moment. She set to the task of digging the plant up, which was thankfully made easier by the sand and nearby springs. Carefully she picked it up by the roots and plopped it into the pot before shoveling the nearby soil around it.

But this was Caido, and it would not be so without something going awry.

"Frey's balls!" Phoebe swore, clutching her hand. In completing her task, one of the pins had stuck into the palm of her hand. With gritted teeth she pulled it out and healed it.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
It seemed easy enough - get the cactus and get out. But, when Phoebe explained that Noah's job was to keep her safe, and detailed what might happen, he felt a tightness in the base of his neck. He remembered how Delphine could be when she was hallucinating from the different drugs and flora she took to rid herself of her guilt and shame from what she had done to her children. Perhaps the poison within the cactus had been extracted to make the woman's drugs before. He wouldn't be surprised. Noah waited with baited breath as the demigoddess worked on repotting the cactus, and finally when he let his breath go, the relief was short lived.

“Damnit, Phoebe. Are you okay?” He asked, gently cupping her elbow in his large, rough hands. What was this going to do to her? They were miles from civilization and his magic wasn’t strong enough to transport both of them. He didn’t even consider having her ride on his back in polar bear form, because that could kill them both in this heat. Above them the buzzards were already willing to scrap over their bodies, ominously circling over the pair.

Noah

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
wooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

You hear a sound vaguely like tearing paper and see light in the distance. Quickly, before you can even really make out what you're seeing, the twin flames come racing across the sands. Like avian pools of firelight the Sunstreak's go wizzzzzing but you, and before you can even blink, they're gone again.

You’ve encountered a Sun streak. This counts as a rare creature encounter for the purposes of levelling, but does not count as a Random Event for levelling or MP. There will be no further admin/re intervention. If you choose to follow this creature, you do so at your own risk, however, just having it in this thread is enough to satisfy your levelling requirements. You may not kill your rare creature without admin permission.

Thought by some to be distant cousins of the Firebird, sunstreaks are desert creatures with vibrant plumage in yellows, reds, and oranges. False sparks dance across their backs and wings when they move and scatter behind them in flight, glittering in their trailing tail feathers. Slender heads balanced on long, graceful necks tipped with long, sharp beaks bear crowns of golden display feathers. Half the height of a human, sunstreaks are more often seen racing across the sand on their broad-taloned feet, but are thought to be a sign of good luck when seen flying, especially at dawn or dusk.

Sunstreaks are almost always found in pairs; when seen alone, especially outside of Hak Etme, they are often omens of drought or plague soon to come.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe's knees buckled, more from the sudden surge of pleasure through her body as she suppressed a moan. Definitely would have been embarrasing to do that in front of Noah. "I'm fine, I'm fine..." she muttered. "Let's just get as far as we can before..."

The wooshing sound caught her ear, and before she knew it the once sunny landscape grew dark and ominous. "Oh no." she breathed. Oh no. The twin lights approached and what she saw were not firey birds but small firey demons, howling and running towards them. LongNight monsters her brain told her, and without another thought she is on her feet and running. Sprinting as fast as she can away from the monsters, too caught up in her terror to notice the real cause has whizzed right past her and into the horizon.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
It seemed to be ok at first. Phoebe simply needed help. But then, as the sky shifted and his gaze turned upwards to see the sun streaks, Noah's heart sank. His eyes widened and everything around him seemed to slow down in time as if the desert was as frozen as Halo.

The demigoddess breathed out her panic and before Noah could wrap his arms around her, she was off. "Pho--No--ah, shit!" Noah growled and took off after her. He was able to mostly keep pace with her, but with the adrenalin and drugs and panic running through her system, when he reached out for her his fingers fell short. "Phoebe, its ok! They're gone!"

Noah
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

For those who have not endeavored to do so, running on sand was a very difficult thing to do. And though Phoebe was both dextrous and had high endurance, the landscape and her terror were both working against her. Her vision didn't help either, distorting the world around her into strange shapes and odd angles. It wasn't terribly long before the inevitable happened.

She fell.

More like faceplanted straight into the sand. She shoved herself up onto all fours spluttering out sand and gasping for air. No, no, no, no, NO! She tried to scramble forward, unable to pull herself to her feet with the way the world spun. "Please don't kill me!" she choked out, tears beginning to run down her sand covered cheeks.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
With the creatures gone it was only Noah pursuing the demigoddess. Snow and sand were so easily matched when it came to slowing one down, and even the mastery at which Noah moved across snow and ice didn't quite seem to aid him enough to catch up with the woman. She might have been fast, but with the poison running through her veins and eating away at all logic, it seemed she became disoriented as well.

With the suddenness of Phoebe's drop, Noah nearly tripped over her body as she scrambled. Concern was all that filled Noah's face as he collapsed to his knees next to her, intending to wrap his arms around her. He made a shushing noise in between words, almost as one would do when comforting a child. "Phoebe, it's ok. It's me, it's Noah. I'd never hurt you." He rubbed a hand between her shoulder blades and continued his attempt at comfort.

Noah
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe froze in his embrace, the slightest tremble in her limbs. She was a rabbit cornered by a bear, afraid but unsure what to do. Even so the gestures seemed comforting, the voice familiar, and surely a Longnight monster would have eaten her by now. "N-noah..." she managed, still trembling but far less tense. That name, she knew that name.

And so she looked up and recognized the face. Pale beard and hair, strong brow and jawline. "Brahm?" she said in awe, seeing her brother in Noah's stead. "How did you get here, brother? Did Frey send you??" Her pupils were dilated and eyes wide, seeing illusions rather than reality - hopes and shattered dreams of a life long lost when the Voice pulled her to Caido. For Noah would know none of Phoebe's blood kin remained or appeared in this world. She was alone in it besides her son.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
His thoughts moved rapidly and he wasn't sure what would be more beneficial for him to do. Should he try to convince her of his actual identity and the safety she had within his arms? Or should he give in to letting her believe he was her brother in the ultimate attempt to keep her safe? Despite the way his mind reeled with trying to make a decision, his body responded in the only way it knew how by keeping up with the physical assurances. He decided, instead, on the third option -- be vague. "It's okay, Phoebe. Let's get out of here, huh?" He said, standing and offering her his hand to take. "We just need to go back and get your cactus." Should she take it, he would help her to her feet and start guiding her in the direction to her potted plant.
Noah
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe looked mildly befuddled at his answer for a moment. The possibility of being vague potentially not working. But in the end her mind was too muddled to work through it and she took his hand to stand. She swayed for a moment then leaned in to cling to his arm for stability. They had to get her cactus...yes the cactus for Frey...which made her wonder...

"What did you think of Frey?" she said, swaying slightly as she walked, her mind having settled on the idea that Frey had sent her a saviour from the LongNight monsters.

As they approached the cactus, she released his arm to toddle towards it. Carefully she picked it up by the pot, looking around suspiciously. "You don't see any LongNight monsters do you?" she asked warily, the sea of sand throwing off her perception as it reflected the light of the sun.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah stuck closer to her than he had intended to as he led her back to the cactus. He kept his spear angled and ready, eyes moving across the sands like they did across the tundra. "Frey has been helpful to me and my home. It was your endorsement of Frey, actually, that sent me to seek them in the first place." He said, the theme of his vague answers continuing. He wasn't sure where she was at with the cactus poison running through her veins to know if he was himself, or her brother. Despite that, he pressed on. "No, I think they're gone now." Noah reassured her as he gestured for her to come follow him, turning and heading back towards where he had come originally.
Noah
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

I told you about Frey?" she said in surprise. Now how on earth did she manage to do that? Phoebe looked up at the man next to her and squinted. "Oh, Noah! When did you get here?" she said pleasantly. The blur between Brahm and Noah was precarious. One moment he was himself, another moment he was her brother as reality and hallucination ebbed and flowed.

"You're sure they're gone?" she said worriedly. Her eyes scanned the sands, squinting as she looked for any sign of the monsters. The ground rippled and rolled but nothing seemed amiss for the moment. So she followed Noah-Brahm along the path he had taken, confident in his ability to protect her.