appointed to see this through
for Safrin <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Eighteen days. Eighteen days until war broke out over Caido. Seasons had come and gone. The warning still hanging heavy in the air just as it had the day of the festival when the spirit had spoken their fates into existence. She knows where she stands. She knows where she'll be.

Yet she finds herself restless. Unsure.

Slipping out of her and Harper's bed, detangling herself from his hold, Maeve tugs on her boots and pulls a shawl around her shoulders. Her footsteps are quiet in the near deserted streets of Torchline. Hardly a soul milling about and it's not hard to figure out why. The Nightshade doesn't register where she is until she finds herself climbing the stairs of the lighthouse, having snagged a bottle of wine from one of the vendors on her way as a makeshift offering for her goddess.

Drawing in a deep breath, the Queen lowers herself onto the steps of the shrine, uncorking the bottle with a loud pop that seems to echo within the quiet of the shrine. "Good evening, Safrin... I know this isn't as nice as my usual offerings and I apologize for that. I hope it is appealing none the less." She murmurs, pouring a glass of deep red liquid for her and then one for herself, drinking from it deeply as she gathers her thoughts. "I've decided to stay here and protect my land, your land, should anything happen here. There are others staying, too. Harper and Melita. Jack, I think... Unless he's run off."

She's rambling and having realized this, the Nightshade falls silent, brows pinching together as she purses her lips in thought. Absentmindedly swirling her wine in the glass, "I just hope it is enough."

Maeve is redeeming her level 10 item reward!
Oh your mouth is poison
Your mouth is wine
The Nightshade

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Safrin
Safrin appears not with a burst of starlight, but with a hush. The darkness in the corners of the lighthouse seems to thicken with her presence, as the air grows still, and thick, and weary.

"Hello Maeve." Safrin greets in a voice that sounds uncharacteristically mortal given how tired it is. Indeed, the goddess' looked bone-thin and exhausted as she sits on the windowsill. "I was hoping to see you before...well, before." Shrugging her shoulders slightly and not needing to explain what before was referring to.

"Congratulations on your engagement. " She says, reaching for a cup of wine and offering the queen a sly wink.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

"Hello Safrin." It's the most human that Safrin has ever appeared to her. Aside from when she expressed her disappointment in the Nightshade for fraternizing with Sunjata, but even then there had been a power that existed around Safrin that wasn't here now. Maeve's expression softens as she passes her the wine glass, releasing a breath as her own shoulders slump at the admission, "I was, too. Things have been... busy." Between Edmund and Jude aging up, Phoebe returning and upsetting the balance of their family, the shrine... All of it has kept her from here.

The congratulations surprises her and a faint smile finds her lips, causing them to curve delicately against the rim of her wine glass, "Thank you." She murmurs, recalling one of the first times she met with Safrin, how she expressed her longing for this to her herald. Funny that it should happen before the world falls apart. Caido had a way of doing that. "I think I finally got it right this time. He's.. Well, more than I could have wished for." Maeve knew she didn't have to speak of his devotion. Harper was Safrin's follower, after all. She already knew what the Attuned was capable of.
Oh your mouth is poison
Your mouth is wine
The Nightshade

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Safrin
Safrin’s lips curl into a tired, but pretty smile as she nods. “I quite like Harper, you know. He has come to see me in the past, though it has been some time…” But war and fatherhood would do that to the best of them, Safrin well understood. “I am glad that you have found happiness in this life. You truly deserve it.” Not wanting to rush the moment for what she was going to ask would surely be more than Maeve might ever have expected, instead the goddess slowly drinks her wine as she considers all that has already occurred, and all that was still to come.

“You have grown so very strong Maeve over these past few years. Torchline has flourished under your leadership and your devotion has inspired many. I hesitate to ask anything more of you…but I’m afraid that I must.” Setting down her glass, Safrin reaches her hands out that she might take Maeve’s in her own. “The Voice cannot win, Maeve. The darkness which would befall this land…it would devastate all we have built. Everything we have done would be torn down. I would be gone again, as would the others. Mort, Rae, and Vi would likely be banished as well once the Voice was able to gather enough strength…” Smiling, though it was a token gesture at best, Safrin shakes her head.

“And you have grown so strong…would you go with the demigods and Deimos to the Cordillera? Will you fight not just for Torchline, but for all of Caido?”
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve smiles softly in return, looking up at her goddess almost as if she was a friend in this moment and on some level, perhaps they were friends. As much of friends as they could be. "He's hard not to like." The Nightshade says with a laugh, shaking her head a little, bottom lip catching between her teeth at the thought of her fiancé. "It isn't for lack of trying. Raising two boys is exhausting." It's said with an air of fond exasperation that can only come from a mother and Safrin will easily pick up on it. Turning her attention back towards Safrin, the Nightshade lowers her wine glass, finding it empty now.

The air turns decidedly somber and she draws in a deep breath as the goddess begins to speak, already sensing the 'but' before Safrin even gets there. Her stomach drops and she struggles to breathe for a moment, but Safrin is there, taking her hands in her own. Maeve looks up at the herald, expression grave as she takes in every word, knowing what this meant. What was being asked of her before Safrin even finished asking her.

Maeve knows that refusing this task would put Caido at risk. Ronin, Remi, Noah, and Deimos were strong. They were capable, but the path before them was one fraught with peril, but to think that she could make a difference is staggering. Still, her goddess needs her. Caido needs her. "We won't let her win, Safrin." Maeve gives her hands a reassuring squeeze, rising up onto her knees before the goddess and dropping her head onto her knees. "I'll fight. For you. For Caido." She vows softly, lifting her head to look up at her and for a moment she seems so small, a scared child clinging to her mother's skirts.

"I- I worry I'm not strong enough. I'm not a demigod. I don't have magic. I've grown so much and that's because of you, but is it enough? Am I enough?" As she is with her weapons and cunning? The Nightshade couldn't say.
Oh your mouth is poison
Your mouth is wine
The Nightshade

Change author:
Safrin
“Come now, on your feet.” Safrin says warmly. “The ground is no place for a queen.” Tugging gently on Maeve’s hands that she might lift her up, the goddess smiles with a radiance that will warm the Nightshades bones from the inside out. “You are a good deal stronger than I think you give yourself credit for, Maeve.” Safrin says, sliding her fingers through the queen’s dark hair and looking at her fondly. “But you have more than just yourself to worry about now. That I understand.”

So saying, tendrils of starlight begin to thread from Safrin’s fingers, intertwining through Maeve’s raven locks. Slowly solidifying a crown began to form; lightweight and made of pure light, it was nonetheless quite solid. “There.” Smiling softly, Safrin steps back a moment to admire her handiwork. “This should help ensure that you come home to your family and your soon to be husband in one piece.”

Maeve has received the following:

Starlight Crown | A crown made of pure starlight. This item blocks physical damage at the wearers upgraded level. Requires a 2 post cool-down between uses.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her heart skips in her chest as Safrin’s hands tighten and she is gently urged to her feet, standing before her with shoulders back and chin up. Warmth spreads through her body, settling in the marrow of her bones and strengthening her further as she holds the goddess’s gaze, returning her smile with one of her own as the words are easily given. ”You flatter me, Safrin. I’m strong because of you.” She found this new confidence and ability because of her herald’s belief in her. The Nightshade might have been capable of it from the start, but Safrin was the reason she had a chance to grow at all.

She tilts into her touch, nodding minutely at her words, acknowledging the truth in them. It wasn’t just her life that would change should she die and the thought of leaving her boys behind is enough to almost draw protest from her lips. Before she can speak further, starlight begins to fill the room and it takes her a moment to realize it’s coming from her. A soft gasp of awe falls from her lips, hand tentatively raising to the crown that’s now nestled in her hair, casting an ethereal glow around them. ”Thank you, Safrin. For everything. We won’t fail you.” And she knew they would die for the cause of it meant keeping balance in Caido.
Oh your mouth is poison
Your mouth is wine
The Nightshade

Change author:
Safrin
Pressing her eyes closed, Safrin pulls in a breath and nods as if she might fill them both with the reassurance they need that in the coming days and weeks, everything will work out just as it should.

If the last war was anything to go by, though, that was far from the truth.

"I will keep your children safe, as we talked about, so put their safety out of your mind. I will not let any harm befall them." Safrin whispers, opening her eyes and letting her hands slip back to her sides. She couldn't promise the same for Maeve or Harper, but both she knew would trade their lives in an instant to protect their children.

"You have prepared enough. Spend these last few weeks with your children, and with the rest of those you love. Leave nothing unsaid." The goddess advises with a soft smile.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Whether that breath truly does anything is unclear, but it steels her nerves all the same. The Nightshade squares her shoulders, holding herself tall for both of them, not daring to let the weight of the situation press her down. She truly didn't know whether they would make it through this alive. If they'd be able to stop Voice and maintain peace in Caido, but they would try. What choice did they have?

Safrin's words are a soothing balm to her soul. Though Maeve never doubted Safrin's promise to keep her children safe, it still reassured her to know that the goddess hadn't forgotten and she was grateful for that. "Thank you, Safrin. I wanted to take Edmund to the sanctuary, but he refused." And while some parents might have ignored their child's wishes for freedom in this case, the Nightshade couldn't bring herself to do so and it was only because of Safrin's promise that she even considered it. "He wants to be here to help."

Drawing a final breath, the Queen nods, offering the goddess a wane smile. "I will. Goodnight, Safrin. I'll see you on the other side of this." And with one last look at her herald, allowing the image of her to be burned into her mind, the Nightshade disappears back into the night with starlight guiding her way.

~FIN <3~
Oh your mouth is poison
Your mouth is wine
The Nightshade