What is My Purpose?
Pray Thread for Frey
Lisbeth Elliea
Soldier

Age: 20 | Height: 4'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 2 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 6 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Terra Omen Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Lisbeth walked up to the shrine with slow and reverent steps. She kept her head down, as though even looking directly up at the shrine itself could be seen as improper. She took off her shoes before approaching the shrine, not wanting to dirty the place with her steps.

She was out of uniform and had brought no weapons. She felt naked without them, but it had seemed like a bad idea, in this instance. Instead, she carried only a basket filled with peaches. She'd never really prayed much to Frey, but Phoebe had told her this was the best thing to do, so she was going to give it a try.

She knelt before the shrine, her head bowed low. She placed the basket in front of her. It held seventeen peaches: one for each year of her life. She had taken great care, heading to half a dozen different market stalls, to find the sweetest, freshest peaches she could find.

"Frey," she whispered, taking the first peach and setting it on the ground far to one side, "when I was born, it was under the signs of the Old Gods."

She placed a second peach next to the first. "I knew not your names when I was but an infant.

She placed a third. "When I learned to talk, my father taught me first the name of Vi, but eventually, I learned all of your names."

She placed a fourth. "As I grew, I always questioned things. My father tolerated my curiosity, and did his best to answer my questions. But he only knew so much."

She began placing the fifth through twelfth peaches in a row. "During my years at school, I learned of your wisdom. My teachers knew much more than my father, and there were classes devoted entirely to Your teachings. But even then, my questions sometimes vexed the teachers, for they knew not all the answers."

She held up the thirteenth peach. She looked at it, a tear welling in her eyes.

She placed it down. "My father died, and for a long time, I had no answers at all."

She placed the fourteenth. "I was lost. I had nowhere to go in life."

She raised the fifteenth peach up in a fist, holding it high. "Then I heard the call to service. I began my training so that one day, I might protect the city and Your people against whatever threats might appear at the gates."

She placed the fifteenth and sixteenth peaces down side by side.

She held up the last peach in both hands. "This is where I now am. At a crossroads in life. I have completed my training. I am ready to fight. You have called for soldiers to aid you in your fight against the wicked New Gods and their blasphemous creations. They threaten Your creations, and they are motivated by pride and greed, thinking themselves your equals. They must be stopped."

She held the last peach cradled in her palms, bowing her head and holding it up towards the altar in offering. "I am here to fight for Your cause. I have devoted my life in Vi's name, and promised my soul to serve Mort in the great beyond. I have never doubted my place in this war. But there are those now who have questioned my purpose, my ability, and my devotion. They challenge my faith and attempt to convince me I walk the wrong path. And so, at the behest of the Lady Phoebe, I come before you seeking guidance. If I hear not from you, I will continue the path I have walked, ready to fight and die for the cause, to protect Your people and keep them safe from Your enemies."

She closed her eyes. "If you would offer me further guidance, I await your call..."

She remained there, kneeling, head bowed, offering held forth, awaiting a response.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
Frey
"Sweet as a peach, and just as pretty."

Frey's voice seems to ring all around Lisbeth, from the fruits she has placed before the shrine, from the leaves overhead, from the very stones beneath her knees. And although the herald is not (yet) visible, they are undoubtedly present.

"I find that sometimes a plant will grow, and it will need assistance to shape into its proper form. Some species attach themselves to larger plants to achieve this, you know, like vines around the trunks of trees. Others, though... well. Others stand alone from the very start." Their voice is warm and soft and welcoming.

"Your words lead me to believe you are the latter, my peach. But you act like the former. You know who you are and what you want. Who am I to question your convictions?"
Lisbeth Elliea
Soldier

Age: 20 | Height: 4'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lisbeth's breath caught in her throat. She started shaking. Her eyes went wide.

She immediately bowed all the way to the ground, forehead touching the soil. She closed her eyes tight.

"Frey..." she whispered.

Her mouth went dry. She couldn't find words. She was speaking to one of the gods. She had heard stories of those who heard the voice of the gods, but it had never happened to her before.

It took some time before she could find her words. She licked her lips, her forehead still touched against the ground.

"I..."

She cleared her throat.

"I have no doubts about my own purpose. I never have. My heart is fixed in its purpose. But I was given heed by Lady Phoebe to ask for your guidance, and your grace. If you would not ask otherwise of me, I will continue on my own path, and fight as I have trained to do. But if you did ask otherwise..."

She trailed off, her thoughts spinning around inside her head. What she was about to say felt like blasphemy. But she had to be honest.

"Even if you told me not to fight, I would fight anyway. Even if doing so meant I must fight alone, without your blessing, I cannot stray from that path. Even still, I hope to be offered your blessing, that I might serve the Old Gods to the best of my ability. And if you would offer me any commands, save the one I cannot grant, I will devote my very being to performing Your Will. You need only give the command."

She kept her eyes closed, head touching the ground. She awaited the deity's response.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Frey
A rich breeze rustles through the trees around Lisbeth as she prostrates herself, and a few blossoms come loose to tickle around her hair and skin. The petals from the blossoms slowly form the deity before her, golden skinned and kneeling, as if they are together in prayer, rather than a mortal and her deity.

"I will always be an advocate of free will," Frey all but purrs to her, plucking up one of the peaches to roll it between long fingers. "And so if it is my blessing you seek on the behest of my Nightingale, then it is easily given. Go and fight, Lisbeth Elliea. Do what your heart commands of you."
Lisbeth Elliea
Soldier

Change author:
When she sensed the more tangible presence of the god in front of her, Lisbeth slowly raised her head. She looked upon Frey's form, and tears flowed from her eyes.

She quickly lowered her head again. "Thank you, your greatness. I will fight, and I will ensure that our enemies do no harm to the innocents in our lands."

She hesitated for a moment, considering her next words carefully. She felt too presumptuous, but she had heard stories of the gods granting boons to those they favored. She hoped for such a chance herself.

"That I might better serve in the war," she said, speaking slowly, "I wonder if I might entreat upon you for a boon. A..." She thought about it for a moment. "...a weapon perhaps. A bow. Something I can use to better defend the people of Stormbreak. A weapon I can use to fight in the name of the Old Gods."

She closed her eyes tight, trembling as she awaited the response.

Change author:
Frey
"A bow?" Frey tilts their head, gazing down upon Lisbeth even as they raise the hand with the peach in it, allowing it to roll gracefully along their arm. "That seems simple enough, my sweet. I have made many a bow in my time."

Catching the peach and sinking their teeth into the juicy flesh, they hum out a sigh of approval for the offering. "Just a bow, though? I think we can do better than that. You wish to fight the Ascended, yes...? Perhaps we can heat things up for you a bit...?" They raise their eyebrows, as if to ask whether Lisbeth has any objection to such.
Lisbeth Elliea
Soldier

Change author:
"Heat things up?" Lisbeth's face scrunched up. She had no idea what that meant, but if it would be useful against the Ascended, she would take any advantage she could get.

"Yes, your grace. The finer the tool, the better I will be able to wield it in the name of the Old Gods. I would be eternally grateful." More than grateful, she was, in fact, surprised that Frey had agreed to her request. She had never in her life felt so blessed.

Feeling somewhat calmer now, she moved from her prone position to simply kneeling, though she still kept her eyes lowered. Aside from fear of disrespect, she was afraid that looking too long upon the god would sear their majesty into her soul, and she didn't know if she could handle such a thing.

Change author:
Frey
"But of course. The Ascended dislike fire, do they not?" Frey raises their eyebrows, as if this is of little consequence. (Which, to them, it really isn't). Taking another bite of the peach, they savour it for a moment, the juices running down their chin. "Very well. But you will need a few things for me to make this for you..."

Lisbeth has received a request from Frey! They must:

1. Complete a thread collecting volcanic ash from The Climb.
2. Complete a thread cutting a branch from a tree in the Celestine. The branch should be large enough that it could be crafted into a bow.
3. Complete a thread coating the branch in the volcanic ash.
4. Complete a training thread focused on archery.

Once all the requirements are complete, return to the shrine. (And bring the branch with you!)
Lisbeth Elliea
Soldier

Change author:
"I will gather the materials with all haste," Lisbeth said, unable to keep a proud smile from her lips. She'd been given a quest! An actual, honest to goodness quest from one of the gods. Her heart fluttered as her mind started to race, already trying to figure out how to do the tasks that needed to be done. There would be a lot of travel involved, getting to The Climb and back, though she was sure she could find a quicker path for at least part of the journey via portal.

"I will return as soon as I am able. You have my eternal gratitude. I swear I will not fail in this task."

With that she headed out with a brisk pace, not willing to delay in the slightest.

{end}