Diamonds in the Rough
for Sah; Frey quest item
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Much as he hated to admit it, Tal's main experience with the Fangs was going over them, not into them. When he heard that he needed to find a diamond in the rocks he had paced and scowled and tried to find another option...

But in the end he'd penned a letter to Sah.

Hey Jester,

I need to hire your hunting services, but not for the usual. I hear you've been into the tunnels in the mountains a few times, and I need to find a diamond down there.

Dierdre made rum cookies last night, so when we get back you can stop in for some.
~T. Seawright

And, in short, that was how Tal and Boreal found themselves standing at the mouth of an imposing-looking cave the next day. The sled was parked at the base of the mountains in a sheltered grove of pines and now the courier slanted a look sideways to his... rival? Frenemy. Or whatever Sah was. Shit had gotten confusing lately. "You sure this is the right cave?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
...look into a wolf's eyes. You'll never be the same again.
Sah had been surprised by Tal's letter, but he had no issue going out to help the courier. He quickly penned a response and sent it out. He too wasn't sure what to make of the relationship he had with the other man. Tal annoyed him half to death most days. But he was reliable and Sah trusted him completely. It was a weird combination.

Errand Boy,

Making me do your errands now? But yes, I've been there a few times. I'm in. I'll take those cookies as payment. Meet me at the entrance to the Fangs tomorrow morning.

-Sah

Lilly stood next to Boreal, pouncing on the dragon's tail. Meanwhile Sah raised a brow at Tal. "Yes. I've used this cave to get into the Fangs multiple times. I've never gone deep enough to see diamonds, but this is the best cave to enter from. The others are prone to falling on your head."

Adjusting the bag on his shoulder, Sah began the trek down into the cave. "Come on." He grinned over his shoulder, "I'll keep you safe from the ursurs." Snickering, the Abandoned led them down a winding path deep into the mountains. Soon enough the path opened up into a large cavern. "If there are diamonds, I'd bet that they're around here somewhere."
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Tal had glowered at the response, but not without a traitorous grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. At least he'd had time to compose himself before their meeting, and as they stood in front of the cave he'd eyed it dubiously.

Boreal was more than happy to play with Lilly, as always, and she swept her scaly tail across snow and rock like she would to entertain the new season's pups, occasionally hopping a few feet away from the wolf to make the game more interesting.

"Falling down?" The courier tried to look unconcerned, but the glance he shot towards the stalagtites of the cave's mouth was decidedly uneasy. He shook his head and trotted after Sah with a stubbornly prideful scoff. "Huh. Ursurs. I've graduated to Frost Giants these days, Jester."

But he still followed his not-friend deeper into the tunnels until the cavern spread out and the light of his lantern illuminated sparkles of ice from the rock. "Right... Well. I guess we get searchin'," he said, not with much enthusiasm. He opened up his Bag of Holding and pulled out a pair of small pickaxes, handing one to Sah. "For testin' the difference between ice and diamond," he explained, heading towards a nearby wall that glittered promisingly. "Or mageglass, I guess. Not that anyone's found any of that in a few years."

Or so he thought.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Lilly happily indulged in her draconic friend's game. The wolf might be full grown, but where was the fun in acting like it? She'd much rather play when she wanted.

Sah heard the nervousness in Tal's voice and glanced at the stalactites above them for a moment, "Yup.  But we're fine. Don't worry." His telekinesis would be more than enough to prevent one from hitting them. The Abandoned let out a huff of laughter at Tal's quick rebuttal. "Oh? Then I'll let you face it alone if we run into one." If Tal didn't need him, Sah could just watch the show and enjoy.

Sah took the offered pickaxe and headed over to a spot that was glittering softly. The Abandoned paused slightly at the mention of mageglass, staying silent even as he felt the weight of the mageglass pendent on his neck. "Shame really. That stuff is apparently pretty damn useful." Yes, yet it was.

Brow furrowed Sah began to test the cave around them. Each time he thought that he'd found some, it would shatter and prove it was just ice. Still working, the Abandoned grit his teeth before calling out. "Hey Tal? Mind if I vent real quick?" It felt so damn odd to ask Tal of that. But Sah was still reeling from his confrontation with Lisbeth and needed to get it off his chest.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Boreal was never one to worry too much about dignity at the best of times. She had been raised among the sled dogs and even if she was a dragon, she was perfectly happy to play puppy-games with any of her adopted family - or friends like Lilly.

Don't worry? Hmph. Easy for Sah to say! He had magic an' shit t'protect him. Tal... had his Vest. Which was actually pretty sweet, but it could only do so much.

As Big Bertha had proven quite spectacularly.

"Ha ha. Very funny. As if you could stop yourself from joinin' in the fun," Tal shot back with a grin that he tried and failed to not let slip.

As they picked their spots and got to work, the courier just gave a shrug as to mageglass's usefulness. It wasn't useful to the likes of him, after all. The following request had him pausing for a moment before he struck another chunk of ice that cracked cleanly down the middle. He grimaced at it, but it was so rare for Sah to ask for anything from him that he swallowed down his instinctive teasing and gave a jerky, awkward nod. "I don't have any whiskey with me today but... sure. What's eatin' you?"

He moved down the wall and tapped another piece, frowning as it broke, but they seemed to be heading in the right direction if the glittering trails inside the stone were any indication.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah let out a genuine laugh, "Touche. It'd be boring to just watch." Nerve-wracking too. Curse his protective instincts but he'd be incapable of not jumping in to help any of his fellow Halovians.

Continuing to force ice to fall off the cave walls, Sah got out some of his raging emotions. Tal's willingness to help made his shoulders relax slightly. The comment about whiskey making him chuckle. "Shame."

Letting out a small sigh Sah spoke, "I met a soldier from Stormbreak. Young thing, probably mid-teens at the oldest. But...she hates Abandoned. So much so that she questions the Old God's judgment about them even though she's so clearly devoted to them. I.. I tried to explain to her that not all Abandoned are future Voices in the making."

Sah grew quiet for a moment before continuing, "But she refused to listen. So, I at least tried to get her to understand that raging about an entire race, many of which should be her allies, was dangerous. And that if the wrong person heard her, she could get herself killed. She apparently took this as me claiming that Abandoned were 'so much more powerful than any other race and that we should be respected for it'."

The Abandoned shook his head, "Me showing her my magic to try and get it through her head only made her think that I was one who went around using my magic to throw my weight around. And not as an example fo what I meant by how it could be dangerous. She was terrified of me. "

Sah tsked, "I just. I'm well aware of what I am. Abandoned Outlanders are the lowest of the low outside of Ascended in the eyes of the Old Gods. Having someone so clearly racist against us, it fucking sucks. But I can't even hate her. She's clearly lost family defending Stormbreak. She's clearly a product of her upbringing. But she's so damn young and clearly has some kind of lung disease that weakens her. I just... Tal.. I'm really worried that she's going to get herself killed."

The Abandoned fell silent, musing over the mess of a conversation he'd had with Lisbeth. "And being called a Voice in the making just..." Sah shook his head. That had hurt the most if he were being honest. He was proud but he didn't think he was that arrogant. He'd never see himself as above the Gods. But for anyone to think him capable of it left a bad taste in his mouth. "I'm not like that, right?" The last question was almost a whisper, Sah hated the fact that he was even asking it. But he knew Tal would be honest with him.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal was surprisingly good at being quiet. Spending so much time alone with just the dogs to talk to probably had something to do with it, but the courier didn't try to interrupt or interject while Sah spoke. The only Stormbreak soldier that Tal knew of was Anju - who couldn't possibly be described as being a teenager, and didn't seem like the type to rail the way this girl did.

Child, from the sounds of it.

His brow furrowed as he tapped away at the ice, trying to follow along with the reasoning that had gone back and forth between the two - at least, from Sah's perspective. And sure, he got what the other man was trying to say. But the girl...

Damn. Damn.

Tal scowled and hit the next section of wall unnecessarily hard, and that was before Sah's voice fell and the whisper cut through the silence of the cave like a knife.

The courier stiffened and then turned to jab a finger towards the Abandoned with a fierce glower. "It's not just Abandoned she's gonna have to worry about, spoutin' that bullshit. An' if she gets herself killed, it's her own fault for spewin' poison til she chokes on it. She doesn't know what the hail she's talkin' about. For one thing, you're nothin' like the Voice. As if you'd ever hurt people like She has!" Tal spit to the side, the water freezing to ice before it landed. "The fact you're even askin' is proof you aren't. Idiot," he added, grumbling as he realized how worked up he'd gotten, heat rushing to his neck and ears. "Y'know I'd tell you if y'ever started down that road. An' you haven't. Don't listen to that jealous brat."

Tink! And that was when Sah's pickaxe hit a piece of 'ice' that didn't crack.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah blinked in shock at Tal's outburst. In the span of a few seconds the courier managed to tear apart most of the insecurities that had been swimming in the Abandoned's mind. He let out a small laugh, "Thanks Tal. I'm counting on it." The courier certainly would let him know in a rather interesting way should Sah stray from his path.

He paused, "There's one other thing she said that I can't get out of my head. She all but said that if even one Abandoned started following in the Voice's footsteps, that she'd kill all of us." Sah sighed, "She's obviously not capable of it. But fucking hell, the idea that there are people out there who feel that way threw me through a loop."

Sah tsked, "Fucking hell, she said that I in particular was dangerous and volatile for throwing around my magic as a demonstration. Maybe I shouldn't of, but gods damn it, who the fuck does she think she is to act all high and mighty about me casually using my magic when she casually mentions starting a war?"

With that final angry question, Sahs' pickaxe slammed into the diamond. The change in sound caught his attention and he paused. "Think I found a diamond." Using the axe and his other hand, the Abandoned began to try and carefully pull it free.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Sah was counting on him? Shit, what was he supposed to say to that? Thankfully in the lanternlight and shadows no one could see him blush, but Tal's scowl deepened in confusion as he spun back to his wall to hit it again - more for the sake of hitting something than searching for a diamond anymore. That stupid brat--!

He thought that was the end of it, but when the hunter spoke again, Tal paused his attack on the cave once more. Fingers tightened around the haft of the pickaxe at the threat leveled against his-- his countryman and he had to fight the urge to throw it like one of his axes. The thing he wanted to hit wasn't in range anyways, but it was really tempting.

"It was a demonstration, not a fuckin' threat," he growled. "Not like she was makin'. An' last I heard, Stormbreak'll be standin' with Halo in the War. Least, as much as Ronin has anything to say about it." Which, being the Commander of Stormbreak, was rather a lot. He slammed the pickaxe into the stone again, sending chips flying. "So she can go jump off the fuckin' Falling an' cool her head in the sea. We've got a real War on our hands without her tryin' t'puff herself up an' pretend like she's important." He turned to jab his pickaxe towards Sah in emphasis. "Which she isn't. She's just a damn stupid kid who doesn't know what a re--what?"

Sah's words brought Tal's tirade to a sudden halt. The courier kept scowling, but after a moment of shifting gears he trotted over with the lantern.

And bumped his shoulder into the hunter's with deliberate carelessness, warm and maybe a little reassuring down in the dark beneath the mountain. "Huh. It's pretty big," he whistled, impressed in spite of himself.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
"True. Ronin is a great person. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear that he was trying to lift the ban on Abandoned in Stormbreak." It seemed like something that the demi-god would do. But as to if he could convince his people, that was another story entirely. Especially with people like Lisbeth living there. Though the idea of casually walking up to the soldier in Stormbrake sounded like satisfying revenge.

Tal's continued anger on his behalf was downright endearing. Sah had never expected the courier to defend him so vehemently. The courier was a surprisingly good frenemie. "Thank you." The words were simple but the weight of gratitude behind them was anything but.

When Tal bumped his shoulder, Sah nudged him back with equal force. "It is. Any idea on how to remove it?" With the mageglass Sah had just pried it off. He didn't know the first thing about harvesting diamonds.
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Might be sooner than you think. If we all survive." Tal's words were mumbled, but there was no question about what they needed to survive first. Though Sah's concern about the people of Stormbreak was well-founded, even if the ones the courier had met had been reasonable. Anju, Finn, Ronin, Mateo, Lena... but they were a drop in the bucket of the larger population.

And if most of them were idiots like this mouthy little brat who had accosted Sah? Well, fuck 'em. Stormbreak wasn't that nice anyways.

He scowled at the thanks, but it was a softer expression as he rubbed the back of his neck and gave a jerky nod of acceptance. "Sure," he mumbled back, as terrible at taking gratitude as ever.

The shoulder bump was reassuringly familiar and the scowl lightened further as he leaned in closer to peer at the encased diamond with a wrinkled nose. "Umm... I guess we just... break the rock around it with the pickaxes until it falls out?" It wasn't the most confident suggestion, but it wasn't the worst, either?
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah let out a small huff of laughter, "We'll survive. Maybe not in one piece, but we'll be around." He sent Tal a feral grin, feeling better after having vented and having Tal so clearly give his support. "And if some fucker does kill us, then we just haunt them and make their life a living hell." Granted, ghosts seemed to be incredibly rare if they even existed in Caido. But Sah was petty enough that he'd find a way to be a poltergeist.

When the courier gave his suggestion, the Abandoned shrugged. "Might as well." Brow furrowed in concentration, Sah began to chip away at the ice surrounding the diamond, working carefully as the cracks in the ice grew. After a brief moment there was a flurry of ice and snow that fell down from the spot, and the diamond fell out and began to roll away. Acting fast, Sah reached out and grabbed it.

Holding it out to Tal he hummed, "Think this'll work?"
Sah
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal looked somber at the reminder that they might not all come through it with limbs intact. Given what had happened to his aunt and how he'd inherited the family sled route, it was all too easy for him to imagine the terrible wounds that could linger on afterwards. The mention of haunting, however, brought the humor back into his face and he snorted. "Ludo probably won't let us," he pointed out to the silly Outlander, but there was a grin on his face. "So think of that as incentive to not get killed, yeah?"

At least they'd be able to look out for each other when it came down to it, as long as Sah didn't do something dumb to get his ass sent to the Draig.

The courier stepped back to give the hunter room to work. As much as he wanted to do it himself, there wasn't really room for both of them to hammer away at the ice and stone and Frey was usually pretty laid back about stuff like that anyways. When the diamond popped out, Tal made a grab for it and then made a face when Sah grabbed it first.

"Hope so. I need t'find someone to turn it into a knife hilt... an' then use the knife 't'kill an' skin a blink hare.'" He accepted the rough diamond and turned it over in his hands thoughtfully. "I've never even seen a blink hare, have you?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah shook his head, "I think Ludo would get a kick out of it. But only if it was a short time thing." With a grin he added, "But sure, I'll take the incentive." The herald was one for mischief. The Abandoned could see it cheering them on while they had a week to haunt. It'd be fun.

"A knife hilt? Not the knife itself? Do you need a different material for that?" It seemed strange to Sah that the material that needed to be harvested wasn't for the blade. Not much was stronger than diamond, so it made more sense for that to be the blade. At least to him it was.

The mention of another hunt made Sah perk up. "Blink hares? I've heard of them, but I've never hunted one. If you want help, I'm happy to come along in exchange for more of those rum cookies." He stood up and nudged Tal, "You still owe me a batch for today."
Sah