Uncertain Times
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Sah

Sah had found himself walking alongside Tal on the way back to Halo. Lost in his thoughts, he hadn't spoken a word since they left. But as they passed by the Cathedral he paused. The Abandoned had visited this place a while ago with Deimos, and the hybrid had paid his respects. At the time, the hunter had refrained as he'd yet to declare for any specific God and hadn't felt comfortable doing so.

But now things were different. The war was looming, blood was pouring from waterfalls, and there was tension in the air. But more than that, he was Safrin's now. He had every reason to pay his respects. Picking up on his contemplation, Lilly turned and began to head towards the entrance, making the choice for him.

Letting out a weak laugh, Sah glanced at Talyson, "I think we should probably go in."
I think there for I am,
But what if all I do is bleed?
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The courier had also been subdued by the dead Breaker. Not so much by the death itself; he was Halovian and had seen it intimately all his life, nor was he the type to spend much time mourning a stranger. But the implications of that bloodless human body were chilling for what it could mean for everyone else. Ursurs. Water horses. Someone had mentioned rhampire. Everywhere across Caido...

Except the Hollowed Grounds?

Except no one was really talking to the Grounders these days so maybe they just hadn't heard--

Sah's voice broke into Tal's grim musings and he shot the other man a weak smile in return. "Couldn't hurt, yeah? I've got somethin' I've been meanin' to offer up anyways. Now's as good a time as any." And better than most, given what had just occurred.

"D'you have anythin' with you?" he asked curiously as they slipped into the strange black chamber, the muted light reflecting oddly from the polished walls.

Boreal trailed behind them, her wide head swinging from side to side as she watched their backs, uncharacteristically tense.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah

Sah nodded and moved to follow Lilly, "I always have spared daggers with me. I've also gotten into the habit of carving antlers and such when I'm bored. I have a dagger with a hilt made of luxere antler that I recently finished carving. I think that'll make a good offering." The design was simple, a mountainous scenery inspired by the Draig looming over Halo. It wasn't as extravagant as the designs he usually carved for offerings, but it'd do.

As the two entered the shrine, Sah set the dagger down on the altar before glancing to see what Tal had brought. Meanwhile, Lilly walked over to her tense friend and gave Boreal a gentle nudge with her nose. The wolf then situated herself at the entrance to the shrine, guarding the two men within.
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
"Yeah? Didn't know you were an artist, too," Tal tried to tease but there wasn't his usual fire behind it. "My dad used to scrimshaw ursur tusks." He held back as Sah left his offering, pausing at the first row of pews to rummage around in his Bag of Holding with a look of distracted concentration on his face.

His fingers closed around one of the apples he'd brought the Citadel's greenhouse and it seemed like a good offering in this place of fire and ash, where plant life was rare. He stepped up to set it beside Sah's knife and closed his eyes in silent prayer to the old gods.

Boreal whuffed quietly at Lilly's nudge and turned to sit beside the wolf, leaning companionably against her fluffier friend as they guarded the only way in or out for their humans.

"Y'ever get the thing you were questin' for?" the courier asked curiously when he'd finished.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah rolled his eyes half-heartedly, "Shocking, I know." The pun was completely intentional this time. As Tal fell silent to pray, so did Sah. He sent a quick prayer up to Safrin. For guidance and strength in the days to come. And for the wellbeing of everyone he knew and loved, including her.

Once finished he turned to the courier when questioned, letting out a small hum. "Yup." Reaching up with a hand he pulled the collar of his shirt down slightly and tilted his neck to the side. The glistening black armor was light enough to be worn under his normal clothes, much to his delight.

Coincidently, the movement showed Tal a flash of the old scar left by the Longnight monster a few seasons back, not that Sah noticed.

Letting go of his shirt he tilted his head at Tal, "What about you?"
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal made a face a the pun, and opened one eye from his praying to slant a judgmental look over at the hunter. Puns, Sah? In this place of worship? They'd be lucky if they didn't get cursed now!

Luckily their prayers went smoothly, with neither god nor spirit showing up in answer, and as they straightened up again the courier's eyes went to the motion of the hunter's hand. The armor - what little he could see of it - was pretty impressive, and Tal let out a low whistle. "Not bad," he admitted. He reached up to tug down the neck of his own shirt to reveal his own armored vest, flecked in black and white. "Your taste is almost as good as mine. An my Goggles can see farther now, too!" He grinned with a bit of his old spark, but it was only a brief flash of teeth before he let go of his cloth and reached out to tap the edge of Sah's scar with his finger.

"What happened?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Hey, Sah was trying to decompress was from the insanity they just dealt with. A well-done pun was part of it. Still, he eyed Tal's armor curiously, smiling slightly as the courier spoke of his goggles. "Nice." The smile turned into a smirk, "I still like my armor more. It has a much better color scheme." It had literal starlight in it. His won, hands down.

The Abandoned actually startled slightly when Tal's finger made contact with the edge of his scar. Brows furrowed, Sah lightly swatted the hand away. "Careful there, Errand Boy." There was a genuine warning in his tone as he added, "I don't like anyone getting near my neck without asking. I'm sure you can tell why." Ever since the attack, the Abandoned had always felt his hackles raise whenever something got close to the sensitive skin without his express or implied permission. Well, even more so than he used to given how vulnerable ones' neck was in general.

Letting out a sigh, Sah forced himself to relax and answer the question. "A Longnight monster back when Morgan was Warden, and the others were still exiled. It came through the portal and attacked the Citadel. Me and a few others killed it, but none of us got out of there unscathed."

Absentmindedly Sah rubbed his shoulder over where the scar was, "A few inches to the right and it would have been fatal." He spoke matter of factly about the whole event, despite his clear aversion to Tal's attempted touch.
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
A roll of pale eyes and a scoff of disagreement was Tal's only response to Sah's misguided opinion on the armor. He was too distracted by the scar to continue that line of teasing for the moment, and it didn't even occur to him that the other man might not want someone poking at his old wounds. The courier jerked his hand back, just as startled by Sah's sharp response as the hunter had been by his lack of personal boundaries.

"Hey! Does it still hurt?" There was a shade of contrition in his voice at the possibility that his poking had actually done some harm. He wrinkled his nose at the rebuff but didn't argue it; he knew how touchy one of his dogs could be if they had an injury near their neck, too. It took patience and training to teach them it was okay to let him look at it during and after the healing process, and many of them stayed jumpy for years afterwards.

His eyes narrowed at the tale that followed and he nodded slowly. "Sure, I heard about that. It killed some guards before it got put down." More of his father's friends, gone, but he and his sisters had been too lost in mourning their mother that LongNight to pay much attention to the Palace. "What was it like?" he asked now, curious after the softening years between then and now.

Wondering, too, if the Voice might not unleash more such horrors as weapons of War soon.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah shook his head, "Not anymore. And it's not stiff anymore either. While it was healing it limited my range of motion a bit." He noted Tal's lack of an apology with minor amusement but didn't comment on it. If the courier had apologized, the Abandoned might have checked him for a head wound, not unlike how Tal had done for him when he'd thanked him for his help with questing.

Tal's wary curiosity was understandable. If the Voice unleased more monsters, the war would become even more dire. Especially since the one he fought couldn't care what race someone was. Hell, it had tried to kill two Ascended.

"It was...strange. An odd combination of flesh and metal. Its face was like a mask, one a person would wear, but metal. And its teeth were steel." Sah grimaced briefly in recollection on how those teeth had felt. "If it drank someone's blood it could use their abilities, just like normal Ascended. But it was a beast, not a person. It had this horrible laugh. It was almost like a maniacal scream."

Sah tsked, "It killed anyone and everyone it could, regardless of race. It even tried to kill Ascended. Drinking blood seemed to be its sole goal and motive."

He paused and then bitterly grinned, "Oh, and it had wings and could fly. Which was fun to deal with. Especially in Longnight when it's dark as fuck."
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Despite popular opinion, he wasn't a complete dick. If he'd actually poked a painful spot Tal would have apologized, which was why there was open relief in his expression to hear that it didn't hurt anymore. It saved them both a lot of awkwardness. "Well... glad t'hear it," were the gruffly sincere words that Sah got instead of the more traditional 'sorry' that other people might have used.

He frowned as Sah described something out of a nightmare. "That sounds fuckin' twisted," he agreed with a shiver at the thought of the monster stealing abilities. Stealing Sah's lightning, for instance...

Nope.

"Well, good thing we aren't gonna be fighting during LongNight. But if they launch an attack at regular night, that's what these are for." He reached up to tap his Goggles solemnly. "I can see about twenty feet with 'em now. Not as far as I'd like but," he shrugged. "Enough t'tell you where to aim your lightnin' before things get too close." Maybe it was all in vain, but it was better to be prepared than not.

Which reminded him... "Hey, y'ever been to the rose maze in King's End?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

"It was. Having my own lightning turned on me was just plain wrong." Sah's magic was a part of him, had been sine before Caido. For it to be turned against him had been more mentally and emotionally damaging then if it had hit. He'd have no problem letting Kiada borrow it when she asked. But the monster had just taken it. It made bile rise in his throat.

Tal's plan made some of his melancholy fade, and his lips twitched into a small grin, "Glad to hear it. I'd say we could use Boreal and Lilly's night-vision, but I'd rather keep them both as far from the fight as possible." He'd never let his pup face such a creature, and he wouldn't let her dragon friend do so either.

The sudden change in topic caught him off guard, "I have. Why?"
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Having no magic or powers of his own - none, at least, that were unique to him in the way an Abandoned's magic or Attuned's shifts were - Tal couldn't really imagine what it must have felt like, but he leaned over to nudge his shoulder against Sah's in what might have been a 'tag' or might have been a reassurance.

Or maybe it was both.

At the mention of the companions, Tal shook his head emphatically however. "Nah, If it's dark and shit's flyin', I'm not lettin' Boreal go up. An' if it's too dark I dunno if they'd be able to see much anyways." Hopefully it wouldn't matter, however, though it was reassuring that they were in agreement to keep the companions safely out of harm's way, even though he knew the dragon and the wolf would both protest.

He almost grinned at Sah's startlement as he switched things up. "Did y'see my note on the Palace board about the fire monster?"
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah gave a slight smile and nudged Tal back with his own shoulder. The smile widened a little when the courier shared his sentiments about keeping the companions safe. He'd have to figure out how to wrangle Lilly into staying behind. It'd probably take convincing her that she needed to protect the pups. (Little did he know that Lilly would soon have her paws full with his second wolf).

At the reminder, Sah let out a chuckle, "I did. I appreciated the drama you put into it." He'd be lying if he said that reading 'big fucking giant ass fire monster' on the board in the middle of town hadn't made him laugh. "So, what was that thing? And what happened? Did anyone end up going after it?" After reading, the Abandoned had assumed that at least Deimos would have gotten further details on it.
I think there for I am,
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Yeah, well, I wanted people t'take it seriously," the courier grumbled. Drama? If anything, he'd understated the situation! "It was fuckin' huge, man. There was a girl who jumped through the fire with us, auburn hair an'... brown eyes, I think? An' she tried to hide behind me an' the giant... fire... thing just reached right over me and killed her flat with one hand." He scowled at the memory, the fright and trauma of it still recent enough to send a shiver down his spine and make him swallow hard. He jammed his hands in his pockets and kicked a loose rock chip so that it bounced off a couple of 'pews,' angry at himself for being so affected by it still.

"Didn't even know her name. Mouthy thing, but it didn't save her. That thing appeared out o' the smoke an' didn't give us a chance to talk or anythin'." He slanted a glance to Sah, his scowl looking more worried than angry. "It was all fire an' wings an' stone or... somethin'. But bigger'n a building. An' it had this one red eye..." He tapped his cheek right below his right eye. "Like a ruby or somethin'. Lena an' I couldn't take it on our own, but I asked Frey to knock it's eye out only..." He hesitated, then scowled harder. "Only I don't think it was an eye at all. I heard it hit the ground an' it went 'clink', not 'squish.' Weird, huh?"