Blood sweat and tears
open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
Big dreamers shoot for open skies
Falling from a ladder was bound to mess you up a bit, but Maea had hoped to get off with a few bruises and a sore back for a few days. Alas, the 'few days' har turned into a week, and when she still couldn't get out of bed without crying from pain, the slender young woman decided to swallow her pride and have someone take a look at her.

Shuffling gingerly into the infirmary, she looked around to see if anyone was around to help. The man, Jeremy, she had met during Long Night was nowhere to be seen, which more or less confirmed that he had been the wrong person to turn to for help. But who did that leave?

"Hello?" Maea called, voice soft so as not to disturb anyone inside.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
VAI
The huntress
Vervain had been quietly working at the infirmary, having been reading up on the various herbal remedies that her little garden in the Woodlands would hopefully end up producing. She glanced up at the noise, rising to her feet and cradling her growing bump as she headed into the infirmary waiting area. "Oh, hello," she greeted, smiling gently and just a touch tiredly; the days after the events at the Spire had been harrowing for everyone, Natural and Outlander alike, and they were all feeling it.

"You don't look very good - please, make yourself comfortable," she murmured, stepping over to Maea as if looking the young woman over would unlock whatever ailment she suffered from. "How can I help today?"
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
"Hi, miss. Good to see you again."

Recognizing the mistress of the Rathskeller from her stay there over LongNight, Maea smiled shyly at the woman and did as she was bid, placing herself gingerly on one of the cots.

"I don't feel too chipper either" she admitted. "I fell from the ladder while pruning trees a while ago. I thought it would be fine, because I could stand and walk almost right away... But my back keeps giving me grief, and it doesn't seem to get any better."

It was rather embarrassing, in truth, and very inconvenient. She still had so much work to do, and no time to waste on being sick. But stubbornness had not helped much in this case... and after seeing the battle the day before it felt even worse to shuffle around uselessly. She owed them all more, somehow.

♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Leading them through into the infirmary proper, Vervain continued to quietly observe Maea as she sank down onto the cot, listening as she spoke and wincing empathetically. "Believe me when I say I understand back pain," she said wryly, smirking and nodding at the fact that she was very obviously expecting. Resisting the urge just to go prodding at Maea (she was still wild at heart and field medicine was her default), Vai grabbed a stool and moved to sit beside the cot.

"It's good to see you as well. You were there, too, weren't you? Watching the battle at the Spire..." Her smile turned sad, Vai shaking it away so she could bring her attention back to the now. "Where is the pain, exactly? And what did you do to remedy it? I have healing magic, so I can fix you up easily enough, but... it might be good to know how to deal with it in future, just in case."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea returned the smile, though it was tainted by sadness as she considered Vai's bump, and the chaotic world the child would be born into. Her sister in law har been about that big when Maea last saw her. Would that she could have met her newest niece or nephew... But that would never happen now. Would Vervain survive in her sister's place? Would any of them live for much longer?

"I can't imagine what it's like" she said, more truthful than polite as always. How anyone could brave the risks when there was so much to lose was beyond her. Maea had never been that strong, never taken chances like that. "How long until you're due?"

A slight grimace, the weight of guilt and Ludo's calm words echoing through her mind brought it all back.

"Yes, I... I was. I'm so sorry." Empty words. It was so much more complicated than that.

But yes, the pain. The reason she was here.

"The pain is in the spine, and the ribs mostly" she described. "The muscles feel sore, but I have a salve I traded from an apothecary a while back, its for general swelling. Other than that, I just rested... hoping it would go away."

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Luckily enough, Vervain could respect honesty over tact any day of the week, and she only offered a wry smile in response to Maea's comment. "I should be due some time at the end of Flowerbirth, maybe the beginning of Longheat," she said. "I wasn't really expecting it to happen so soon, but at least I'm close to the infirmary, right?" She shrugged, before concentrating more on what had happened to her patient.

Her smile grew sad as the topic of conversation turned briefly to what had happened out at the Spire, the witch shaking her head. "I know it was dangerous, but I really thought they'd all walk away from it. I was naive."

Vai sighed and rose to her feet once more, circling around so she could see the way Maea was sitting as she mentioned the pain in her back and ribs. "Heat, or cold can sometimes help soothe symptoms, as well as the salve you were given. Let's see if I can help - do you mind if I touch your back?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
"Flowerbirthis a good time for babies, or so the old women use to say."

Good for the babies, at least. Maea had been born in Deepfrost and only survived because of her father's stubbornness that saw him pestering the healers until they tried every remedy they had and dug deep into the stores of herbs. Yet even then it had been a close thing, and she had been persistently ill every Long Night for years. Still was at times, though it had been a while since she'd been confined to the bed. She hoped Vai's baby would fare better by far.

Maea bit her lip, knowing it was not her place to comment on such things. She was a farmgirl, not a warrior or scholar, and yet...

"I wish they would have waited" she said. "So much has been unearthed in so little time, and so much have changed since the first large group of you appeared. Maybe if they'd waited, if they had taken the time to understand it all properly..."

Maybe nothing would have changed, and maybe everything would have. Maybe the man would still be alive... But now it was too late, and Maea had said too much.

Nodding her assent to the examination, the girl removed a layer of clothing until she sat with only a thin linen chemise to cover herself. The fabric was impeccably clean, and stark white against thin shoulders that had been splashed in a spectacular array of colors. Most of the bruises had already faded to a sickly yellow, but just beneath the shoulders along the spine, the deep purple could be seen even through the fabric.

"It's a bit hard... I couldn't carry water for a proper bath, or reach the back with a cloth..." And there was no one around she would trust to undress for. Peter was nice enough but be was a man, and... and Maea was not comfortable with letting him become anything more than a farmhand.

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"That's good to know. I was born in Flowerbirth, so I'll take that as a sign of good luck," Vai said conversationally, standing aside while Maea undressed to reveal the pattern of colourful bruises on her back. She was distracted by them, at first, her eyes widening ever so slightly, and only as she moved to look at them properly did she realise that the other woman had spoken again.

"...Waiting is not their way," she said softly. "My daughter was one of the warriors out there. They come from a place where waiting brings more danger than not. So while I agree with you, I understand why it happened." That didn't make it any less grim, or any less needless, and it didn't change the outcome. But the demon was gone, and Ronin Taliesin had done what he had set out to do. Of that there was no doubt.

Rubbing her hands together and diving into the well of her power, Vai moved gentle hands over the worst of the bruises on Maea's back; where she touched, a soft light suffused her fingers and the injuries began to slowly fade. "Do you live alone, then?" she asked, sounding a touch concerned. Falling from a ladder was one thing, but if something had happened where Maea couldn't move or get up or get help, that could be altogether worse.
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Forutantely Vai was not easily offended, and while the news that the kind womans daughter had fought the demon made something guilty bubble and seethe in her stomach, Maea was still heartened by the fact that she didn't have her head bitten off yet.

"I'm so sorry, is she..." okay, unharmed, alright? "... how is she? I don't think I've met her..." In all honesty, Maea hadn't even known Vai had a daughter. She certainly didn't look like someone who's child was old enough to fight anything.

"I wish... I don't think anyone will ever deny the strength or bravery of those who fought. They brough down a demon when no one else could, not for three hundred years! I still cant believe it's real. But I do hope they take it slow from here on. Maybe include some naturals in their plans... The mood is rather tense out there right now. I hate to think of what would happen if it got even worse."

By the look of her, the tension between the factions brought the albino girl nothing but anguish. With friends on both sides, and a peaceloving nature, this conflict went against all her instincts.
She was distracted from the issue by the healer's gentle touch however, and winced audibly when the bruised back was touched. Only as the healing magic began to take effect did Maea relax, closing her eyes as sweet relief bloomed through her back.

"Mhm... sort of. I'm housing a new arrival who helps out around the farm, but... my family is gone."

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Vai smiled sadly as conversation turned to her daughter. "To be honest she wasn't in the sort of way where meeting new people would have been a good idea. I'm only worried the same will be true now." She shrugged, sighing through her nose and continuing her work on Maea's back. "Her name is Ashetta - or Ashe, most call her. She'll live, but... she was very close to Ronin - the man who died out there. He was like another member of the family, so... she's alive, but I wouldn't say she's alright."

Humming her agreement, Vai could only nod emphatically given that her hands were busy. "Slow would be best. I just... don't like the unrest that this has all seemed to bring. If nothing else this means no one further has to blunder into that monster around the Spire, right?" Vai frowned, withdrawing her touch when it looked as though the worst of the bruising had faded.

"Gone? I'm... sorry to hear that," she said slowly of Maea's family. 'Gone' could mean a number of things, but given how recent LongNight had been, it wasn't safe to assume. "Does that feel better now?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Maea did not expand on her family situation. The subject was too painful, too tender. While Vai certainly did not seem adverse to listening if she really wanted to talk, the younger woman found it awkward to place focus too much on herself. It was safer to empathise with Ashe who had lost a brother - gods, how she knew what thst was like! - and with Vervain, who had lost an almost-son... or brother? Friend?

Regardless of the label, the pain was the same.

"Well... there's always the question why the demon was there in the first place" Maea said, always the source of reassurance. "Was it to guard the Spire from us, or us from the Spire?  No one has been inside, so only the gods know what is hiding there. Maybe not even they..."

She shrugged, and to her surprise found that she could do so without hurting. Carefully the girl stretched, breathed in deep and reached her arms forward, up and out...

"Oh that is so much better!" she exclaimed cheerfully. She had been sure something was broken... but maybe not. "You're very good at this, miss!"

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"Mm... If it was guarding the Spire I don't know that it was doing so on purpose. Not by how reckless it became, especially towards the end of that fight." Vai sighed again and shook her head slowly, circling back around now to stand before Maea and watch as she stretched.

The relief on her face and the ease of her movements did much to ease the witch's worries; honestly, she had thought at first that something was broken as well, and while it had taken a good burst of healing magic to get Maea on the mend, it was nothing too serious.

"Please, call me Vai," she introduced as the other woman thanked her, realising all of a sudden that they hadn't really taken time to exchange pleasantries so much. "I'm glad you think so. It's not a talent I've always possessed, so it's always nice to know that it's working."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
The pale-eyed girl nodded thoughtfully. It was a mystery, and one she hoped would wait to be solved a while longer. At least until the family and friends of Ronin had been given proper time to mourn, and the rest of them could decide what they wsnted and prepare. But the way things were going, how fast the winds of change har begun to blow... It seemed unlikely.

"Maea" she offered back with a smile as the healer offered a more proper introduction. Picking up the clothes again, Maea dressed; a simple and sturdy dress of bleached linen that reached no further than the knees, and over it Ludo's dark scarf, so light and yet warm enough to carry her through any blizzard. Oh, the relief was wonderful; she hadn't realized just how much pain she had been in until it disappeared. It was enough to make her want to sing, but instead the girl settled for something else she had been considering for a while.

"Vai" she asked, with a speculative look at the beautiful woman. "Does the infirmary need more herbs and plants for medicine? I inherited the farm when... when my brother passed... and frankly it's a bit too big for only myself to run. But if the Infirmary could help with some of the work, I would be happy to provide space for a herb garden..."

She had offered Remi space to grow his seeds already, and the idea of cooperating with others to make use of the land that would otherwise sit untouched had taken hold.

Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Vai smiled gently as Maea got to her feet and dressed herself once more. Not the type to linger awkwardly, she set about tidying up the room (it needed very little tidying in fairness) and glanced around as the pale woman addressed her. "Mm...? Oh, you have a farm?" Her eyes lit up and she grinned despite herself, though it quickly faded as she realised why Maea had said 'inherited'. Vai nodded solemnly.

"We could always use more, yes. I've a small herb garden outside my house, but it's more for personal use. I don't know that I could grow enough to sustain the infirmary - so having use of the land would be a huge help." Her smile returned, warm and bright. "Also, my husband used to be head farmer in our old home. Would you like me to send him over at some point? He can help out I'm sure, especially if I sweet talk him first."