If you tasted poison
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
And if the sky grows heavy
Wrap your arms around me tight
The pain is as complete as it is overwhelming. Never in his life has Remi experienced pain like this before, and in the coming hours he'll hate himself for feeling this as being more unbearable than Aoife's death. Her loss alone was meant to stand as some sort of untouched shrine in the threshold of what he could endure; a metric for which nothing could pass.

But oh gods, this..

He'd reached for the Core, because of the six of them, only he and Ronin possessed immortality, and of that pairing—his shredded wings aside—he was still the strongest. So he'd reached, clasped, and pulled; of course he had expected pain, thought perhaps he'd lose yet more fingers on that hand, or perhaps the hand itself. Maybe we shouldn't fault Remi for not knowing of the bone-grinding that would serve as the Core's last means of defence, but I think we will anyway. All he can remember is the way he'd kissed Ronin, a gesture far too brief and boyish in the big scheme of things, before the world went white with the sizzle and dazzle of electricity and damnation suddenly carved against his soul.

Then everything went black, and oh so very, very still.
the lullaby
Styling stolen from Sky (obviously)
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
It's still raining, the downpour drumming against his skin, but Ronin barely notices it. The pain is absolute as it radiates through his body, and so he can't even begin to understand how Remi is feeling. It had seemed easy, when he'd let him go with a parting kiss, to haul himself into the sky to crush the Core in his fist. And now? Gods, what now?

Over the hush of rainfall, the only sound is that of their own breathing for a long, long while. Ronin is hiking down the mountainside on his own two feet, carrying his lover on his back to bare his shredded wings to the cool water falling from above. Whether it does anything at all to soothe him, the gods only know.

"We did it," he whispers eventually, his cheek pressed against Remi's, the words barely audible as they escape his lips. "You did it. We can go home now." It sounds easy when he puts it like that, right? Never mind the state of Remi's arm - he hasn't looked properly at that yet; he can't bear to.

And never mind this strange, desperate twilight that has fallen over the world. Never mind any of it.
show me your darkness.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Consciousness is something fleeting and far away, yet it's entirely within Remi's grasp. Even so, he opts to ride the ever-growing waves of his agony, wondering if he opens his eyes if he'll again be trapped in the darkness, watching Ronin cuddle Aoife.

Fire drags its claws up and down his right arm while his blood pools where it can, and pours from various wounds where it can't. To say that he's a wreck, a mess, is to but a laughably blunt point on it, and yet there aren't words to describe the horrific radiation sickness taking root in his right arm, nor the bloody decay of his wings.

R..n.n.. Remi thinks from across the ages, his mental voice sounding shallow and worn. s..tp.. There was hardly anything left of him now, and as very them as it would be for Ronin to trip and send them sprawling, it would quite literally kill Remi at this point. He so thought, anyway, given the clause of his immortality.

One supernova, if his husband had it in him. Just one so that they could make it home.

And if he couldn't? Well. Remi supposed that meant he would see Aoife again shortly, one way or the other.
the lullaby
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
It's lucky that they have been together for as long as they have, because even the distant, groaned syllables of his name are enough to have Ronin instantly complying. "Sorry," he breathes through the rain, "I just... I had to get out of there." He can't say why or how, and it's with clenched teeth that he carefully hoists Remi down to the sodden ground, cradling the back of his head to lay him back.

"I've got nothing left," he whispers his apology. "But I think I can use this..." Fumbling in his ragged shirt, he draws out the intricate brooch with its spray of consellations - the Seal of the Duke that had been worth its weight in gold in the fight. The fights. Gods, he could sleep for months after this.

But first, tossing it into the air, the brooch instantly showers them with starlight, shining in a dome all around. And if anything out there tries to breach its bright walls while they rest, they'll have a nasty surprise waiting for them.

Ronin uses this:

Type: Light | Style: Defensive | Level: Mastered
Seal of the Duke | An intricate brooch decorated with a spray of constellations. When thrown into the air, creates a 30ft dome of starlight that heals all those within for 30pts per round, and damages all enemies within for 30pts. The dome is opaque from the outside-in, obscuring all those within and making attacks roll with disadvantages. Lasts 3 rounds, with a 3-round cool down.
show me your darkness.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
It feels as though the Cordillera softens against him, inviting him to slip seamlessly into it. To become the mulch and rock and crag that make up this place. Remi would be good at that, you know? To be a hard and rocky bit of nothing that hardly anyone is even aware of.

The twilit-sky pulses with light from the constellations above, but from behind Remi's closed eyelids, he isn't aware of it. The small puff of health that the brooch imparts back into his body emphasizes the pain, and for the first time since he'd touched the Core, Remi cries out. It takes every ounce of love that he has and will ever have for Ronin that he doesn't let himself collapse into the bleakness that waits with a soft smile and open fingers.

But if Ronin came with him..if they were together, then...would it be so bad?

thnk y- Remi mumbles silently as he tries to open his eyes. Blood or something worse has all but glued his eyelashes together and the amount of mental energy it takes to navigate through his agony to focus on his eyes has him panting.

d...did we..... He tries, suddenly wondering what words were and how to use hem. is...it...ov..r?
the lullaby
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
Ronin is wincing as well, as the healing energy pours through them both, bringing bruised bones and still bleeding lacerations into full focus. But they're easy to ignore as he hears his husband cry out, the Huntsman reaching out for Remi to wipe at his face with wet sleeves, trying to help in whatever small way he can. And as he speaks again it's almost enough to bring a shuddering sob from Ronin's lips; he smiles without feeling happy, even though he should be happy, shouldn't he?

"Yes," he whispers. "The Core is gone. It's done. Caido is..." He gestures up into the sky, somewhere; the god of gods had merely departed afterwards, he thinks. (Not that he'd have notice even if they had come down and kissed them individually - his attention had been all for Remi). In the coming days and weeks, Ronin might be bitter at their lack of so much as a gee thanks, guys, but that can wait. It can all wait.

Carefully smoothing wet curls out of Remi's face, the Huntsman leans in to press his lips against Remi's forehead. "You're a fucking mess, you know that? I'm going to keep you at home for seasons after we get off this rock."
show me your darkness.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
This was one of those moments that radiated unmet expectations. They should have felt like heroes, should have been elated with their victory.. So when then, beneath the falling rain and vast twilight, did it all feel like it had been for nothing?

oh.

Oh, oh, oh. So that was that. Years of building, years of purpose and solitary focus on this one thing, and it left them isolated on a mountain, broken and wet. Together, yes, but that was a given.

Wanting to reach up and hold Ronin close but finding his arms entirely unwilling, the best he can do is peep a look up at the Huntsman. we could...just stay..? Remi suggests. Not only did the thought of going anywhere seem impossibly exhausting, but where was there to go? The Refuge, probably, to get Mateo, but...gods, their son couldn't see him like this. Couldn't see either of them like this.

my..back...I need to.. With a groan Remi tries to roll but succeeds only in making his body convulse with pain.
the lullaby
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
"Mm," Ronin agrees softly. Oh, indeed. "Honestly, I thought there'd be dick fireworks, like at our weddings." It's easy to joke in this isolated dome of starlight, away from the vast and lonely summit just beyond it, but even though his tone is light, his voice is hoarse and his cheeks are wet from more than just the rain. "Or at least, I don't know, a banner?"

Reaching instantly to assist Remi, the Huntman carefully shifts to gather him against his chest, leaving his back exposed to the sky. "If you think your back is going to cause you problems, wait until you see your arm," he whispers, and now the joke falls flat, Ronin letting his cheek loll against the other man's sodden curls.

"We could stay," he agrees, smiling weakly. "Find a cave to keep warm. Eat dragon meat. I'll build us a house in the morning, and a bed with phoenix feathers. You can just stay as an ifrit when you sleep."
show me your darkness.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
a pat on the back, Remi agrees; his words are still silent, but at least he can form sentences again without having to work so hard to clear the fog from his thoughts. not that I want anyone touching my back right now.

Flopping against Ronin like some bizarre and broken toy, Remi just huffs against his husband's raggedy shirt. do I even have an arm? The Lullaby wonders, entirely seriously. the pain makes me think I do...but it feels like there is nothing there for me to move. He doesn't try, though, preferring to remain boneless as he is.

we could even just dig ourselves a hole like in Minecraft Remi replies with a sly mental smile.  that does sound incredible. I am sure we would be believed if we said we had to fight some monster or other on our way home and that is why we didn't return right away. He suggests. Not that they could do that to Mateo, but..maybe they could. Just a little.
the lullaby
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
Gods, maybe they could. For a moment Ronin can imagine it, curled up with Remi around a campfire, his arms a swathe of crimson feathers to wrap about the other man and keep him warm and safe, both of them hidden away from the world. "You still have an arm," he whispers into the Lullaby's hair. "I don't know yet what kind of state it's in, but it's there." If he had to look he would say it reminds him of the blight, but... he's not looking. Nope.

"A hole?" He barks out a laugh at that as well, Ronin nuzzling against the crown of Remi's head and letting out a bone tired sigh. "I could go for that, honestly." Because what the fuck else can they do, after this? As if realising that dawning sensation of next, Ronin laughs again, but this time it's an empty, quiet thing. "What now?" he whispers.
show me your darkness.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
If Remi was hoping that he'd be comforted by the confirmation that yes, he still had an arm, he'd be disappointed. Luckily though he was hoping for no such thing, and merely accepted the news with a vague grunt of pain and mucus.

As for next?

Thinking about it felt a bit like trying to stretch a muscle which had been severely damaged. You know you needed to, knew you were capable, but gods it hurt in a way that told your brain something was wrong. Wanting to curl in on himself and away from nexts and afters, Remi sighs reluctantly against Ronin. next? next I would like to wrap my arms around you, but until I am strong enough to do that...I do not know. Ronin could carry him down the mountain with ease. In a few hours Remi would likely be strong enough to hold on if Ronin flew, but..

..but..

..gods, he couldn't summon the energy to care.

lets stay here tonight. we can look at the stars, if there are any.
the lullaby
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
"Well, until you are able to, I will keep my arms around you," Ronin murmurs, already doing just that, if not being very delicate with the other man's back. He doesn't expect to be as soothed as he is by Remi making the decision, but here we are, and the Huntsman nods easily. "There are sort of stars...?" He nods up at the dome above them, still shining brightly, though it lasts only a few seconds more until the brooch falls harmlessly back into Ronin's outstretched hand.

"I'll find us that cave, shall I?" He grins, and already his duplicate is setting off into the downpour, shining softly with his dazzle. "I just wish I'd brought snacks. Deimos should have brought snacks, too." Sighing again, it doesn't take long for the duplicate to return, and Ronin rises quietly to his feet with Remi in his arms.

"When we dream, we should have a banquet," he decides. "Maybe we can decide there, when we want to go back to Mateo. I don't think the state of us would frighten him, not after thinking we might be dead all this time."
show me your darkness.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Unable and unwilling to pull himself out of the crook of Ronin's neck, for now Remi just takes his husband's word for the presence of stars just as he did for the presence of his arm. mmmmmm Deimos' name makes him snort with painful laughter; Deimos seemed like a name from another existence altogether. So did Maeve, and Delphia, and Noah. They were just stories. Fables from another time. snacks, though. Despite everything Remi's stomach grumbles.

give me an hour or so and we can. The Lullaby says of dreams and banquets. No, but...I would rather him not see how very close I came. Remi says on the heels of a sigh. Maybe it was purely his ego informing his decision, but he still thought that the sight of the two of them as they currently were would be enough to send Mateo into a tailspin, not to mention Remi's inability to give his son a hug just now.

have you found that cave yet? and is it catered, by any chance?
the lullaby
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
"I would rather not think about how very close you came," Ronin admits in a whisper, doing his best not to hold Remi that little bit tighter even if that's his instinct; the last thing his husband needs is more pain. "I love you," he adds instead, the admission a blurted, sudden thing, as if he needed to hear the words hit the air around them.

As for the cave, Ronin nods sagely. "Oh, yes. It is being catered for right now, actually," he informs him, and up ahead, a miserable little crack in the side of the mountain is just wide enough for them both to squeeze into. It only goes back a few metres or so, but it's enough to keep them out of the rain. Ronin's duplicate is waiting there, only based on the fact that its shoulders and arms suddenly bloom with gold and crimson feathers, the Huntsman has just switched places with himself.

"All the firewood is going to be soggy," he explains, "but this way I can keep us warm. I can't do much about the hard ground though, sorry."
show me your darkness.