i see now i made a mess
Morgen!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
KIADA
and i'm fed up with little deaths
She doesn’t remember the last time she’s been to King’s End, but she does know she’s been wandering enough lately to find and seek out warmth – a harder event given that it’s Leafchange now. It’s what brings her to the heart of Queen’s Gambit, a wandering mess, following a ramphire she’s taken down who’s unfortunately gotten lost in the maze. And with blood coating her features, she ends up making it to the middle of the maze, iceberg eyes finding the bonfire flame in the center of an obsidian bowl.

Curiosity strikes her as she leans toward it, almost as if tempting fate with her previous life being extinguished with fire – coming back to life with another means to avoid fire all together – but this time? This time she’s heard she can’t burn, and so she decides to tempt it further, stepping into the bowl toward the flame, a hand outstretched to let the flames lick the pads of her fingers.

Nothing like getting over a recent phobia by diving straight in, hm?
pretend i'm free of consequences
totally sniped from odd ilu
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Age: 38 | Height: 6' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
SWEETS - Mythical - Unicorn (super-speed)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet
Kiada weren't the only one in need of a bit of heat and sustenance; so unsurprisingly she weren't the only one wanderin' through the Queen's Gambit. While it was true that Morgen's herd could survive off of ruffage, Morgen himself preferred not to. Times had to get real tough before he'd take a salad over a cut of meat. With two blink hares in his pack and a third he was trying to track through the maze, it was only the sight of a woman with her hands in the bowl of fire that had the cowboy stopping in his tracks. Not normally one to bother with the comings and goings of others, something about the fire reflected in the woman's bright blue eyes and the sheen of it on her hair had Morgen distracted from his quarry.

"Everything alright here ma'am?" Standing some 10 or so feet away next to one of the hedges, Morgen pushed up his hat with a gloved finger to better appraise...well, whatever Kiada was. Some sort of banshee, mayhap, or a fire elemental? Only as he properly drank her in did the wrangler notice all the blood, though based on the vitality he thought he saw alight in her gaze, he guessed it wasn't hers. This was of course both a good and a bad thing, he supposed.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
KIADA
Amazement rings out from the new Ancient’s chest, a gasp of surprise that is covered thankfully by the dull roar of the flames. It burns away the bits of blood on her fingers, leaving her relatively pristine beneath it when she hears someone speak – a deep voice with an accent that has her whirling, hand still hovering over the flame.

She sets eyes on a rugged looking man, but she isn’t one to judge too much just yet, a dark brow rising as she scans him equally as he had her (only without her knowledge) before she speaks. “Everything’s fine.” She calls out to him, pulling her hand back to tuck her dark hair behind her ears, dark horns spiraling from her head lined with small veins of ruby streaking throughout that pick up the reflection of the flame.

Her tail even curls around her leg as she regards him curiously. “Just testing a theory.” She offers as she steps a bit closer, hauling herself out of the bowl by the fire but keeps her distance from him, flashing him a fanged smile. “Didn’t expect to see anyone out here, though.” A roundabout way to say so what are you doing here?
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Age: 38 | Height: 6' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Morgen was the sort of man who didn't bother much with trying to hide his feelings, not unless he was dealing with a wild animal. With humans he more or less wore his heart on his sleeve, so it was that his expression of confusion, amazement, and a twinge of fear were unbridled as they passed over his eyes and mouth. 'A theory, huh.' He repeats, trying and failing to come up with any reason that the fire might be a trick such that what he was seeing wasn't what he thought he was seeing.

With his denim stare focused on Kiada's face, he missed the movement of her tail altogether, though the ruby sheen of her horns was a detail that even he couldn't miss. Living out in King's End more or less on his own, the re-emergence of the Ancients was something he'd only heard vaguely of, and not in enough detail to know that fire + horns was likely an indication the woman he was seeing was a child of Dygra. 'Those real?' He asks, perhaps a bit too forwardly, nodding his head towards her horns. Morgen couldn't think of a single creature that grew rubies in their horns, making him inclined to think Kiada wasn't an attuned who was just partially shifted.

As for his place in the maze?

"Huntin'." He replied with an easy shrug. "Blink hares like to pop in and outta here. Was hoping to catch a few more to take back to camp when...well." Morgen pauses. "When I seen you. Ain't every day you come across someone just wavin' their hand in the fire., covered in blood."
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
A theory.” She repeats after his question – not delving into it because gods it was a long story – an outlander with fire magic only to become an attuned here, then die to the fire of the Climb, then come back as a combustible ascended, then change to an ancient once the war was over. It was a lot, and a lot she didn’t want to delve to a stranger just yet. Unless he asks, she supposes.

Her head tilts this way and that as if to show off the ruby lined horns, a smile tugging on the corners of her lips. “They are. You can touch them if you don’t believe me.” She offers out, forgetting that she’s coated in blood, but at least that means he’s safe from her bloodlust for the moment.

She appraises him anew when he mentions that he’s hunting, explains that he’d stumbled across her like some strange and unique creature that he seems to want to know more about. So she edges a little bit closer, inspecting her hand as if it might hold the answers. “I’ve just become an Ancient, hence the theory.” And maybe it would answer why she’s covered in blood, but she lifts her iceberg gaze back to his denim stare with a soft tilt of her head, her dark hair falling over her shoulder. “Have you caught any blink hares yet?
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Change author:
"So what's the verdict?" Not unlike Kiada, Morgen is aware that, when you've just come across a stranger, there are certain lines you don't immediately cross. Sometimes you do, he supposes, and though he doesn't quite think he'd stepping over the line yet, call him curious.

'Ain't that I don't believe you, I just...never seen nothin' like that." He replies honestly, and though Morgen takes a step closer, he doesn't reach out. In his minds-eye he does, feeling the curve of her horns, imagining it not unlike a unicorn horn beneath his palm albeit a great deal thicker. He thinks the ruby veins must be quite smooth by comparison and imagines the tips being sharp enough to draw their own ruby liquid if touched too carelessly.

"Oh right. Them's the uh .. well, I guess it's in the name, huh?" The man lowers his chin for a moment as he chuckles, giving his head a wry shake as if to admonish his mouth for speaking before his brain could catch up. "Two s'far." Morgen replies, lifting his gaze. "Might keep lookin' for another, but at a certain point y'burn more energy than y'get from 'em, so.." Practical to a fault, Morgen can only shrug.

"Name's Morgen by the way. Morgen Walker." So saying he tugs off one of his gloves by placing the finger between his teeth, and offers out a heavily calloused hand.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
The verdict is good. The fire doesn’t harm me.” The newly-become Ancient flashes the stranger a wink. But she soon offers that he could touch the horns if he didn’t believe her – an option which he initially doesn’t seem to want to take her up on, she remains still as he steps forward, only feeling the weight of his warm hand on the soft smooth curve of the horn – his hand gliding along it like glass when it reaches those small ruby veins within.

A small crooked smile meets him when he steps back and takes in as she announces her race, a soft snort leaving her when he tells her how many he’s caught. “Well, if you need any help, I’m a decent hunter myself. Might be able to get you that third.” Not like she really needs it herself. “I’m Kiada.” She offers, taking his hand and shaking it. Hers aren’t as calloused as they might have once been, but they’re by no means wholly smooth.

So what do you do?” She asks by way of asking what he does for his job or the like. He doesn’t seem like the type that would settle down just by looking at him, some kind of rancher or wrangler, perhaps, though she doesn’t want to assume.
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Change author:
"Can see how that'd come in handy." Morgen says, pursing his lower lip and nodding approvingly. The man had experienced his fair share of burns in his day.

An unlikely pairing though they might be, Morgen grins at the offer. "Ain't one to turn down help. Happy to share as well. Camp's just.." Turning his head over his shoulder, the wrangler frowns as he stares at the labyrinth bushes which seem to have shifted somewhat during their conversation. "Fucking maze." He complains, before shrugging. "Either way, it ain't too far."

Gripping her hand firmly and yet somehow still politely, Morgen begins to fit his glove back on his hand. "Pleasure." He says, committing her name to memory. "Got a herd of unicorns back out at camp that take up most of my time." Morgen explains, nodding to indicate that if Kiada was finished with her experiments that they could set off. " 'bout thirty of 'em right now."
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
Oh it does, especially for someone with a penchant for flames and the experience in dying from them. It’s a balm of relief she didn’t know she needed until this moment he’s stepped in on. And at least with him here it keeps her from thinking too much about it – getting into her thoughts over everything else involved.

He takes her offer, though, and she can’t help but to let the chimed laughter leave her, a fanged grin meeting the wrangler’s reaction to the way the maze had moved. “We’ll find it.” She shrugs, not minding the company or the time it might take to hunt and get back to it – wherever it is.

As for what he does? She listens before she begins to set out after him, her test already figured out – now it was just a matter of getting the blood off, only not quite needing it in the face of what they were about to go and do. “Oh I love unicorns.” She remarks softly, almost fondly – thinking of Zuriel mostly, before she quits her daydreaming and picks up her pace a bit to walk side by side with him. “Do you just keep them or do you trade them or…?” She asks curiously, tilting her head toward him.
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Change author:
The huff that leaves the cowboy's lips is a good-natured one, the sort that expresses a mild feeling of fuck sake, before just carrying on. Such was the way of someone like Morgen; there weren't any reason to keep bellyaching about things you couldn't change, namely fucking mazes that liked to rearrange themselves.

"Oh?" Turning his head over his shoulder, he grins. "Unicorns are a bit like dogs in that respect. If'n you meet someone who don't like 'em, that's usually a reason to think somethings off." Chuckling, he lets his steps slow a bit so that Kiada might take the lead. Whether it was because she'd been covered in blood, horned, and playing with fire that made it seem like she also might be good at navigating mazes was anyone's guess.

"Trade some of 'em, yep. I figure out which ones can heal and which ones have superspeed so they can go where they're best needed. Used to bring some up to the Grounds for the Ascended before..." The corners of his mouth twitch and he gives another one of those dusty sighs. "..well, before it all went to shit. Unicorns were the only critters wh'could heal the ascended, so.." Morgen adds with a shrug just in case Kiada hadn't known then.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
I suppose the same could be said for the unicorn’s preferences of their company too, hm?” She quips back as she takes the lead, the fact he’s slowed his steps enough to give her an idea that perhaps he might think she’d be able to. But alas, she isn’t Attuned anymore. Can’t fly above the maze to figure out where to head toward. Nor is she Ascended, able to share a similar feat to the superspeed unicorns in her ability to dart through the spaces quickly.

So she makes her attempts on how to get toward the outskirts of this godforsaken maze, taking a left when he answers her question regarding what he does with them. Her steps only falter slightly when he mentions the Ascended and how he’d bring them down to help, humming a soft sound under her breath, she recovers well enough to take the subsequent right as the path starts to fork again.

I used to be Ascended.” She offers, perhaps a bit quietly. And maybe it’s the fact that he’s said such a thing that allows her the comfort of speaking to him so… Personally, something she doesn’t exactly do these days, but it precedes what she adds next. “My uh, father figure has a unicorn that can heal. I took advantage of it once before I left Halo before the war.” She crosses her arms across her chest, hands rubbing at her biceps as she picks another right as the path forks, her tail lazily sweeping behind her as they walk.
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Change author:
"Almost always." The wrangler agrees with a grin. "Anytime one of the herd don't take a liking to someone that's almost always a reason to think somethin's off about 'em."

Going left as she does, Morgen fishes about in his pocket for one of his poorly-rolled cigarettes frowns at it, and then apparently decides it's better than nothing as he goes searching for his matches. Focusing on his hands he doesn't see or notice the hitch in Kiada's steps, though her words do coax his gaze away from his fingers. "Is'at so." He mumbles under his breath, and if this was meant to be taken as a bombshell, Morgen doesn't seem to realize. "Fire makes sense then." Is all he says, offering Kiada a quiet shrug.

Sure, the ascended had lost the war and though they perhaps lost it harder, in the end, no one had won. Not from his perspective anyway. The world was fucked, and knowing humanity, they'd find something new to be bastards about and the fighting would start all over again.

"Mmm, smart. My mare's got superspeed and I've got a bit of healin'." He offers with another shrug as he places the cigarette between his lips and lights it. "Are there many left?" Morgen asks through an exhale of sweet-smelling tobacco smoke. "Of the ascended, I mean."
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
That’s a sentiment that she can agree with. But she’d always been a fan of animals, and there’s something that becomes even more close to them when one is attuned. But that’s another secret held up Kiada’s sleeve as she drops what she thinks might be a bombshell on the cowboy – thankful (or grateful?) he doesn’t see her faltering steps.

Being ascended, yes. But it’s also for other reasons.” She offers quietly, noticing his shrug as he attempts to light a poor looking cigarette with a match. She draws silent then as they walk, her tail lashing delicately behind her until his next question airs and the scent of smoke fills the air – something that she missed while being Ascended far more than anticipated. She was never a smoker, but the fact that it smells as tinny and intense is a wonder in and of itself for her.

As for whether there’s a few left, she has to think about it, pausing during it to take another left through the maze where it seems to magically begin to open up. “I’m not sure. One or two, I think.” She pauses, slowing her step to walk alongside him again, her iceberg gaze drifting over to take a look at him again. “My sibling is an Ascended demigod. I don’t know where they are right now, though. Or what happened.” To this, she shrugs too. Perhaps she should try to scout out Azrael, or perhaps they’d prefer to be left alone after all of it.

Gods knew she wasn’t good at reaching out to those she should care about.
Morgen Walker
Unicorn Wrangler

Change author:
Once enough of the paper and tobacco is smouldering that it doesn't threaten to wink out, Morgen takes a long pull before holding the cigarette out toward Kiada. It seemed the polite thing to do, not that manners were something the man was particularly well versed in.

The wrangler could think of at least one lingering ascended; he'd met Isla idk, timelines are weird, but had promised to keep her name and identity under wraps. Though he couldn't imagine what trouble would come from telling Kiada, it wasn't for him to decide, and so he merely pursed his lips and gave a thoughtful nod. 'Well shit.' He remarked with a grin to hear that she was related to a demigod as if that might be a point of pride for her.

"Yeah, keepin' in touch is..." Vaguely, Morgen gestures around them. Here they were, locked in by an asshole shrub in the ass-end of the continent. To say that keeping in touch was hard was an understatement.