Personal Quest Test Run
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Sah

Sah had sent a notice to Evie, asking for her aid. With the academy's renovation underway, it was time to start considering just what to teach. He'd never been a formal teacher before, and the Abandoned was unsure of his capabilities in that regard. He'd asked for her participation in a mock lesson so that he could test his lesson plan out.

He'd been happy when she agreed, and he hoped she'd have some positive or at least constructive feedback for him. This academy meant so much to Hotaru, and with how much work he'd put into it, it meant a lot to him too. He'd set up a training grounds with what they would need. There was a small fire, a pool of water, a barrel of dirt, the air around them, and targets. Today was all about the elements.

A non-hybrid Abandoned only PQ for Sah to test out a lesson plan for the upcoming academy! Please post your character's arriving.  No post order!

1. Sah
2. Evie
3. NPC by Cirago
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
She never would have come by if Tal hadn't asked it of her. She had no good memories of the Academy, once run by the Tyrant, but her little brother had said how important it was to his friend Hotaru, and Mallory couldn't help but be a little curious about this place that had the usually saturnine Tal so invested.

And frustrated, with how little he could do to help. Poor, magicless Tal, who stubbornly refused to Attune... Mal sighed and shook her dark head, then noticed that the door was ajar. Well, surely a small peek wouldn't hurt? She pushed the door open the rest of the way and stepped into the training grounds, adjusting her glasses as she did so.

Why, the place looked practically open already! "Hello?" the slender, delicate-boned woman with the gray eyes and black braid called. "Is anyone here?"
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Evie
Say my name and every color illuminates
While Evie had considered re-opening the Academy herself, Hotaru's quiet, broken plea in the early morning light of her office had washed away all those desires in favor of handing over the task to the Valkyrie. She hadn't anticipated Sah joining the grieving mother in her self-appointed task, but the Evergreen has nevertheless delighted in seeing the school be rebuilt and shined up over the past year.

So distracted by her investigation of the outside, the voice of another woman startles her slightly, and has Evie retracing her steps back to the front. Following in the woman's wake - and wondering, silently, at the familiarity of someone she'd never met - Evie closes the door behind her to announce her presence to the stranger and the man beyond. "It looks amazing, Sah. You and Hotaru have done miracles!" It was far more open and inviting than the oppressive grounds she remembered from her time training beneath the Tyrant, and she finds she likes it. It's a great successor, one that is clearly attempting to leave such a dark legacy behind.

Approaching, the Evergreen smiles beatifically at the woman and tilts her chin in clear invite for her to join Evie as they meander further inward. "What do you have planned for us today? If you'll be joining us of course," she adds towards the stranger with a playful dimple deepening in her cheek.
We are shining and we will never be afraid again
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah

Sah was surprised when an unfamiliar face walked in, "Hello. We're testing out a lesson plan for when the academy opens. You're welcome to join us. I'm Sah." The girl looked oddly familiar, but he couldn't place it. But he was happy to potentially have another person's input.

Then Evie arrived and he sent her a grin, "Thanks. It's a work in progress." Addressing them both he gave the plan for the day. "I've designed a lesson geared towards kids who are just starting out with elemental magic. I'm hoping to walk them through finding, connecting, and using an element of their choice."

Waling over to the center of the grounds, he gestured to the available elements. "I'm going to give the lesson as if you were that age group, so no offense towards your intelligence." He smirked playfully.

Taking a deep breath to settle his obvious nerves, Sah began, "All of you here have discovered that you have some form of elemental magic. Lightning, fire, water, earth, and air. Today we're going to focus on connecting to and using your magic." The skies darkened around them, and a bolt of lightning struck the ground beside him. As quickly as it came, the clouds cleared, "I have lighting. It was my first magic, and my most powerful. But for today's purposes, I'm going to be using my fire as it's in the beginning stages, just like yours."

Sah placed a hand on the stem of a torch and closed his eyes, "I want you all to reach deep and feel your magic. It'll be unique to you, and you should get to know it as you would a friend. In a few words, I want you to describe what you feel. For example, my lightning feels eager. Unpredictable at times, even volatile. But my fire feels passionate, temperamental, and restless."

~
First task! No post order!
Connect to an element of your choice (that you have) and describe what you feel in a few words.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Mal turned at the sound of the door closing behind her and gave a polite, business-like nod as she recognized one of the Wardens. A year without unreasonable demands on the populace or unnecessary excess from the Evergreen had done much to allay concerns, and even Tal’s petty grumbling had largely subsided after the events of the War.

”I have some time, and I was curious about the new school,” Mal admitted, giving Evie a small smile back in return. Then the school’s… well, not headmistress, obviously, but one of its teachers spoke up and she had to work hard to keep her expression neutral and not smile any further. So this was the Sah she’d heard so much about…

”I’m Mallory.” She introduced herself to both, making up her mind to stick around and see how much of Tal’s fond exasperation with the man had merit.

Listening to the initial lesson plan, she reached up to adjust her glasses again in a thoughtful manner at the showy display of lightning. When he explained what he wanted from them she knelt down to gather some snow into her mittened hands.

”My water is…” She paused, giving Sah a slightly skeptical look. ”Clear. Wet. Fluid.” Mal was a practical woman. A woman of numbers and mathematics, spreadsheets and account books. ”It doesn’t have its own emotions, any more than my left foot does.” It was simply as much a part of her as her fingers and toes, and had been since she was a small child just learning how to walk.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Evie
Evie commits Mallory's name to memory, her own smile brightening slightly when Mallory returns it, if more reservedly. She might have pursued further conversation, but Sah is well into teaching mode, and Evie doesn't mind the shift in tone to a more focused, studious strain.

Mallory answers first, in a no-nonsense, logical way that Evie admires even if she does not resonate with it at all. Awaiting her turn meanwhile, Evie turns Sah's words over in her head, contemplating them and reaching for her weaker magic just enough to feel it.

"My earth is giant; it can feel overwhelming to reach out and feel so much of it everywhere. But it is also steadying, familiar to me. It is both dormant and yet ready to grow and be used, much like the earth itself I reckon." She lies somewhere between Sah's and Mallory's answers, which is a fun variation that she hopes will make the work more interesting.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

"Nice to meet you." Sah nodded at Mallory, committing her name to memory. Her skepticism got her a small grin, but he made no comment. Evie too, shared her experience of magic and it was no surprise to Sah that they all had different views.

"Both of you, good job. The reason I asked, is both to help you connect to your magic and to point something out. It's one thing to say that everyone's experience with their magic is unique, but it's another to hear it, see it. For some, our magic is more of a tool based in logic, for others it's nearly sentient in its own right. There's no right or wrong answer. Your magic is a reflection of you, and only you can choose how to use it, and how to interpret it." Sah paused to let that sink in and to see if the two women had any thoughts or questions on the concept.

After a moment he continued, "Now that you've found the well of magic in you, it's time to connect to it. Try to grab a hold on it so to speak, like laying your hand on the hilt of your weapon or another tool." With a slow exhale as the only indication of him using his magic, the flames on the torch beside Sah flickered and then doubled in height. He relaxed but the fire remained in its new state. "You'll know you've done it when the element reacts to you." He nodded towards the now blazing fire in acknowledgment.

~
Round two! Connect to your chosen element and make it react! No post order.

Evie
NPC by Cirago
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
He’s a good teacher, and quite eloquent, though it’s no surprise given his history as an advisor of sorts. Evie has to stifle a laugh at the sudden thought that perhaps it’s Sah’s verbose nature that makes Talyson despise him so. The courier is far shorter of word - and temper.

Refocusing as she and Mallory are given another task, the Evergreen nods briefly and focuses again on her magic. It is not a base form, but she has no magic that fills that role, and as one of her oldest it is as easy as breathing to call upon it. Metaphorically, it’s as easy as pressing her hand to the earth itself, feeling it sturdy and waiting whenever she needs it.

Careful to choose a reaction that will not disturb her compatriots, Evie inspires a few hardy plants to bloom in the barrels of dirt that had been provided by Sah and Hotaru throughout the room, the greenery a distinct difference as they begin to bloom.

- - -

Evie blooms a few plants in the soil of the barrels!

Change author:
Mallory listened to Evie's magic, curious as to how the Warden would approach the assignment. Much as she might have wanted to compare a few notes, their teacher was moving things along and the accountant turned her attention politely back to him. She was pleasantly surprised with how he dealt with the lesson, and she almost smiled again at him, tucking the compliment away for later. If nothing else, she could use it to tease Tal with, for her brother knew she was both honest in general, and not overly given to complimenting anyone without merit.

Please ignore the snow portion of my last post

This time after she watched Sah's demonstration, she waited for Evie to go first. Rather than structures of earth or rock, the greenery that blossomed was a welcome sight. Though less rare in Halo since the War, Mal had lived too long with only the white of snow and green of pine not to appreciate the sight of other growing things.

Then they were just waiting on her, and she reached up to adjust her glasses as she looked sternly at the water barrel she had positioned herself near to. The water within immediately began to swirl under her concentration, forming a slow vortex that spun neatly without splashing. Content that it was doing exactly as she intended, she released her focus upon it and looked back to Sah attentively.

Mallory makes the water in a barrel swirl around!
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Well, they were working on basic magic for a reason, now weren't they? Evie's flowers sprout but they're wilted and sagging, the leaves discolored and curling inward. NPC (Mallory)'s water spun but died off as soon as she took her attention off of it. Sah's fire fared no better, returning to its normal size at the end of his explanation.

Glancing at the torch in confusion, he let out a snicker after a moment. "And this is why we're working on basic elements. Myself included." Sah gave a small shrug, not terribly phased that is novice fire magic was still eluding him to a degree. It was a bit embarrassing, but he had said from the beginning that it was his weakest element, so his ego wasn't too bruised.

"Let's try that again. Focusing on and invoking our element. This time try to focus on it moving towards the targets. Having a more specific goal might make it easier on us all." This was practice for him just as it was for his fellow Abandoned.

~
Round three!
Try once more to call and invoke your element. This time with the intention of making it move towards the targets.  No post order.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare

Change author:
It would seem they all had some practicing to do and Mallory frowned slightly in disappointment at how quickly her own magic had faded without her constant attention on it. She usually kept tighter control over it than that but the small failure only girded her intention to do better with the next lesson.

"Very well," she agreed with the teacher's next instruction, giving Sah a polite nod to show she understood what he wanted. Though she didn't normally care for overt gestures, it seemed as though taking things back to basics wasn't a terrible idea for increasing her focus. Reaching out her hand over the water barrel she called a glassful of it upwards and into a sphere which floated a few inches below her palm.

Grey eyes shifted to blue as she used her magic and turned to look at the targets. Rather than attempting to throw her little ball of water she began to walk across the training room floor, bringing it with her until she was within five feet of the target. Only then did she move her hand away and send the liquid to hopefully splash against the center of her chosen bullseye.

Mallory attempts to take a small ball of water across the room to a target and then splash it at the center.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie
Evie has no lowest level magic to utilize, but she is advanced enough with her own magic to use only the barest abilities that she once had to keep it fair. Later, perhaps she will rescue the little sprouts she'd managed to grow in the buckets and transplant them into the greenhouse. For now, she focuses on Sah's instructions, and Evie watches Mallory's efforts with a kind, intrigued expression.

As for herself, she reluctantly recalls her singular training day with Zarah, and the tricks she'd picked up from that regarding her earth magic. Focusing on the stones instead of the loose, tricky soil, Evie uses her magic to focus on just one and commands it forward at a loose throw towards one of the targets, using momentum instead of prolonged magic in a combination of physics and magic.

- - -

Evie focuses her magic on a singular stone instead of loose earth, and throws it loosely at the target, using gravity and momentum so she doesn't have to sustain it with magic the whole way.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Have a goal to further focus upon seems to have done the trick. NPC Mallory's water hits the target in the center, just shy of the bullseye and the water quickly spread through the cloth covering the target. Evie faired even better. The stone sailed through the air and hit a direct bullseye, sinking into the cloth an inch or two.

Then it was Sah's turn. He calls upon the fire in the torch and narrows his eyes in focus. The flame rises and then a small portion detaches and surges towards the target. He too hits in the center, but a bit above the bullseye. The cloth bursts into flames for a few moments before dying out and leaving a burn mark behind.

Sah gives a nod of satisfaction, internally relived that things are going smoothly again. "Well done!" He calls to the others, before gesturing them over. "Now, if this was a real lesson, I'd have the kids repeat this a few times to build up their confidence and then have them discuss what they'd learned. But for today, what do you think? I'm open to all constructive criticism and thoughts."

He takes a breath, the tension in his shoulders betraying his nerves. Sah truly hopes that he's done a decent job.

~
Last round! No post order!

Time for feedback. What was done well, what needs to be improved, etc.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare

Change author:
After Mallory finished her own target practice she was able to watch the others. Her cool grey eyes noted their magics and how they used them, nodding in congratulation to Evie when the other woman hit her target so successfully. Earth was certainly a versatile magic to control, though a difficult one to make use of in Halo's sere biome.

Sah was flashier but less precise - something else Mal noted as she turned her attention on his fiery display. She reached up to adjust her glasses thoughtfully, glancing to Evie to see if the other woman wanted to go first. When it appeared that the Warden was still thinking, Mallory spoke up.

"It was simple and effective," she began, ticking the points off on her fingers. "And easy to follow. But children may struggle to put their magic into words, especially if they're new to it, so you should provide more examples of descriptions, not just your own." Or the kids might try to just repeat what Sah said since he was the teacher and they'd think that his answer was the correct one.