A new chapter
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895

Edmund had reached the Oerwoud after nonstop travel. Sleep, walk, sleep, walk. He'd made it but it had been exhausting. The Ancient had set up a small camp for the night and currently sat leaning against a tree. The emotions swirling in the teen were bittersweet. He was excited to see the world, eager to grow stronger and learn. But leaving home, leaving his family was hard. And despite his lack of regrets, knowing that he'd betrayed his mum and Safrin, hurt.

Relaxing as much as he could, the Ancient found himself absentmindedly playing with his tail, not unlike a bored cat. Having a tail and horns was certainly an abrupt change. But it was kind of fun, and he liked his horns. They were simple but still rather elegant to him. Rather fitting for Torchline's runaway prince.

Edmund

the prince of torchline
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
i thought how your courage would never cease, like the waves of the sea
On the trek to the Notice Board in Torchline, he decides to cut through the Oerwoud – perhaps for more memory searching. Night sets in quicker than he expects, the world darkening so much in the way that he has to partially shift his gaze, helping with the weaving between the trees and stepping over the roots. Sure he could fly, but he wanted the nostalgia he supposes. Prolonging his trek as much as he can.

What he doesn’t expect to find is a fire within the trees – curious as he approaches, quietly before he realizes that he knows this person (in fact the drama surrounding the boy and himself was one that sat in the back of his mind and popped up on the rare occasion he thought too far back). Only now, he’s much older it seems, and interest overrides the quiet he had originally intended to keep to himself.

Hey.” He calls out as he breaks the small tree line, remaining far enough away that should he not be welcome, he could turn around and leave.
the flood
say it once more, speak to my chest; i wanna bleed all of the words you've said
totally sniped from odd ilu
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Thoroughly startled, Edmund nearly jumps out of his skin as he looks over to see who had appeared. It takes him a second, but his racing heart calms when he recognizes the man. "Uncle Jata." The greeting is almost breathless in as the sight of the demigod invokes a tangle of emotions. Affection, confusion, anger yet new understanding. He'd been heartbroken to hear that the man had betrayed Safrin. Enraged even. Yet now, he'd gone and done the same. It gave him more perspective and made him curious as to just what had driven Sunjata to side with Frey.

At the same time, he was cautious Frey may have been impartial to the Voice, but he had no idea how the herald viewed his Mother. From the Ancient's brief interaction with her, she didn't seem to hold the heralds in much regard. Maybe even in contempt.

Patting the beside next to him, Edmund invites the man over. "It's been a while. How are you?" The Ancient watches the Flood carefully with eyes far too similar to his own

Edmund

the prince of torchline
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
”Uncle Jata.” Well if that doesn’t transport him back in time. At least the boy isn’t aggressive, half expecting him to be given the close relationship to Safrin that his mother had, one that as far as Sunjata knew the young man held as well. But the horns are new and curiosity gleams in the steel of his gaze as he approaches when beckoned, because he’s got nothing else to do. “It has been awhile. You’ve grown up quite a bit.” So much more than that little boy afraid of his fire magic he’d once stumbled across before bringing him home.

He takes a seat beside the newly-made Ancient, steel that’s so similar to the boy’s slipping over to look at him to answer the question that follows. “Truthfully, could be better. But that’s pretty much all the time these days.” A crooked smile tugs at the scar that dances up his cheek and he flashes a wink as if to say it wasn’t a big deal. So instead, he juts his chin toward the horns and cocks a scarred brow. “Those are new.
the flood
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

Edmund's lips twitch into a small soft smile, "Accidently for most of it." Him aging up to a child, and then a young teen had been purely by chance or some other unknown cause. But his recent aging to his current self was deliberate on his part. He had been tired of being too young to be taken seriously or to be given certain opportunities.

The wink doesn't settle the concern that rises up in Edmund, but he drops it for now. He doesn't know the details of what happened during the war, but he'd heard that none of the demigods got out of it without trauma and or injury.

Sunjata points out his horns and Emund ducks his head, flashing a fanged grin, "Yes. I.." He pauses and takes a deep breath, debating his next words. He had no regrets over his choice, but there are still complicated emotions involved. Guilt for betraying his mum and leaving Torchline. Joy in the rush of power and freedom his new power brings.

It's a lot. Especially for a teen to process alone. Getting it off his chest is becoming a greater need and here is an adult he mostly trusts who has reasons not to bring what he hears back to his mum or Safrin. So, Edmund decides to just go for it and proceeds to dump the rush the past few weeks have been onto the man without any further warning or prompting.

"Torchline is Safrin's. We were the only region to swear for a single Old God. And she did try to help us, to protect us. But in the end Torchline was torn apart just like the rest of Caido." Edmund chewed on his lip as his fingers fiddled with the hem of his pants as he continues, "She wasn't powerful enough to protect us. And then after, instead of staying to help, she vanished." He grimaces up at the sky where the stars shone. "She isn't enough."

Edmund glances back at Sunjata before concluding his impromptu story, "I decided that I myself needed to be more powerful in her stead. To be powerful to step up and help my family when Safrin inevitably ails again." He reaches up and runs a hand over one of his horns, his smile full of satisfaction and excitement. "I found it with Mother Dygra." In her power, in her confidence, and in just being in her presence.  

Pausing, the young Ancient glances at Sunjata as a thought occurs, "Is that why you betrayed Safrin? Was she not powerful enough to protect your family either?"

Edmund

the prince of torchline
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Isn’t that just how it goes sometimes?” He responds to Edmund’s initial comment of accidentally aging up. It’s still enough that it spurs a small snort from the demigod, thinking nothing of it. After all, Kamaria had arrived to him at five years old already and by the time she returned to her mother to live in the stars, well, she’d been a teenager by then. It had been an adjustment, but one that he would never blame her for.

Perhaps that’s what he channels when Edmund begins to speak – dumping information onto him that has him interjecting only now and then with agreements or quiet comments. A “she isn’t” when he says that Safrin wasn’t enough despite being the one Torchline had pledged to. Another little “you became an Ancient, then.” As confirmation for the horns he sees closer now, flickering the reflection of the fire.

But the last question certainly gives him a bit of pause, that small smile on his face starts to shift, his gaze departing the young man to focus on the fire for a moment, before up to the stars. A deep breath and a long exhale, before he starts. “It’s… A long story. And I suppose now you’re old enough to understand it.” There was a part of him that remembered how upset everyone had been at what he’d done, but nobody truly understood the reasoning.

Safrin is… Beautiful and manipulative. You can give her all the compliments in the world and do all of the work for her, but she’ll find a way to use you to her advantage. For me? She hated Nate. Hated the Ascended. And when I initially pledged to her, I had wanted to be something like Ronin for her. I hadn’t met Nate at that point. She attuned me, too, so I felt like I owed her something.” A brief pause as he takes another breath to get back on track. “And when Nate and I started out, well, war was just starting to get on our radars and I was terrified. Here I was pledged to a goddess that wanted the man I loved dead. So I had tried to tiptoe the line with her, refrain from speaking about Nate or thinking about him when I was in her presence, and if I did have to speak about him I needed to make sure things were foolproof.” He winces slightly, tilting his head back down to look at Edmund with a small apologetic smile.

I was nervous about the war and with Nate being Ascended that I had asked for her help in saving him should the Voice perish. She agreed only on the condition of a life for a life. She would save Nate’s and I would have to raise a daughter from her and I.” Kamaria had been that condition – something he isn’t proud of, but one he’d thrown himself into proving he could do. “She marked me, my bones, after that. Gave me a little constellation tattoo in the center of my chest.” He lifts his hand to press against his sternum. “But while I was doing that with Safrin, Nate had became a demigod for the Voice and I was admittedly too nervous to go and ask Safrin if it would still work if he was a demigod. So things blew up, Nate left for a bit, I raised Kamaria for a time, and she tried to push me into becoming her demigod. Already with the tattoo, Nate was leery because of what Safrin and I had done, whether the tattoo was a way for her to spy on us. After all, I was stabbed and it moved to heal me, so it isn’t unlikely that was a reason.” There’s a wince with this, but he trudges on.

She kept asking and asking and I kept telling her I would think about it. I didn’t want to fight Ronin on it. He already has his own issues with Safrin that I didn’t want to contribute to. I don’t know if they’ve smoothed out or not yet, but anyway.” He waves a hand as if dismissing the thought for later. “I went to Frey to ask about some item and that’s when they offered becoming their demigod, told me that they’d never hold strings on me, never make me do anything I didn’t want to do. I wouldn’t have to worry about Nate being Ascended when I was in their presence. They helped me make the safe haven that worked for everyone, including the Voice. So I said yes. They had to burn Safrin out of me. I don’t know how long it took, but it was the worst pain I think I’ve ever experienced.” And as if to emphasize it, he shows the lightning scarred hand from being struck by actual lightning to prove the point. “Ronin made me speak with Safrin about it after. She was… So upset about it that she killed me. The only reason I’m still alive is because Ronin healed me, but I would have died if he hadn’t.” This ends a bit more somber, another little wince, a heavy sigh. “Sorry to dump all that on you.
the flood
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

The new ancient nods firmly, "I did." Edmund firmly believes that it had been the best choice for him, and so far, it was proving true. Apart from a certain murdered Abandoned. Regardless, hearing Sunjata echo his sentiments is still reassuring. Safrin just isn't enough, not for what either of them need it seems.

Edmund's concern grows as Sunjata began his story. He was aware that the man's history with the Goddess was long, but he'd never suspected it'd be so complex. He remains silent as the man vents, nibbling on his lip to stop himself from speaking until Sunjata is done. When the scar is shown the young Ancient lets out a soft whine, empathy making him wince slightly. It looks so painful, even now.

He shakes his head, "Don't apologize! I'm the one who should be apologizing. I had no idea it was that was bad." An acknowledgment of Sunjata's pain, and an apology for ever hating the man beside him. "I... I can't believe she did that to you. Any of it. I'm so sorry." Threatening his husband and using Nate's life as a bargaining chip to give herself a demigod. Demanding total obedience, loyalty, and respect, yet refusing to return either of the last two sentiments. It was harrowing to realize that he had almost followed that path.

It's with great self-control that Edmund refrains from pulling Sunjata into a hug, but he senses that there's more to the story. Instead, he simply leans over and rests his cheek on the demi-god's shoulder. "What happened after?" He asks softly, almost reluctant to hear what had happened during the war and in the past year.

Edmund

the prince of torchline
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
As Edmund tells him to not apologize, it’s the Flood’s turn to reiterate the statement. He offers the young man a softer smile, a roll of his shoulder. “What’s done is done.” There wasn’t any use for him regretting the choices he made. After all, he ended up here with Frey now — a deity that has been far more accommodating than he’d ever thought possible for him, going so far as to gift him a blindfold to wear in order to visit them so he wouldn’t have to see Nate in their face.

Edmund rests his cheek against Sunjata’s shoulder and he takes a deep sigh as he continues the story. “Well, I worked with Frey who worked with the Voice to make the safe haven possible for everyone. But because of what I did to Safrin, she poisoned me to everyone within her grasp. My daughter left the house to live with Ronin because apparently I was putting her in danger.” As far as he knows she’s with her mother again in the stars and he hopes she understands the choices he made and harbors a smaller amount of judgment for him. “I’m fairly certain I’m not welcome in Torchline for long periods of time. I had to ask your mother to host a meeting there about the safe haven in the first place.” His nose wrinkles slightly before he lifts his gaze to the starry sky, as if he can glare through all the clouds.

Ruled the Grounds for a small amount of time before the war came. Got imprisoned in Stormbreak for trying to get a relic there. And after that, the war broke out and the Ascended lost.” His head lowers and he casts a sidelong glance toward Edmund before eventually landing on the flickering flames. “And Nate never came home. So… I’ve just been trying to figure out what to do now.
the flood
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

Edmund can't help the slightly pained whine that escapes him, "That's horrible." Truly, incomprehensibly terrible. All Sunjata had done was love, selflessly love. Safrin, his husband, his child, and his husband's people. Yet that had been unacceptable to Safrin. Perhaps it was simply due to what Nate had been, but it was unforgivable in Edmund's eyes. How dare she do that to his Uncle?

Now Nate was gone, and it sounded like Sunjata was alone. Much too alone. Lost, without a direction, and endless possibilities abound. Edmund sat up and let out a contemplative noise. "Maybe...maybe we build a better future." Nodding, her picked up speed, hands coming up to gesture as he spoke.

"The safe haven was an incredible start. I stayed there during the war actually. But if we want to stop the past from happening again.... there needs to be more."  The young Ancient pauses in thought, "Maybe a meeting place. A place similar to the haven, where people can't harm each other. But a place where negotiation and diplomacy can take place. Oh! And maybe there can be a failsafe where if someone tries to break that rule, they get cursed!"

Edmund looks to see what Sunjata thinks of his sudden idea. It was idealistic to say the least, but it was one that built off of the hard work that Sunjata had already done.

Edmund

the prince of torchline
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Mm, yeah.” Sunjata agrees with a soft huff, drawing silent – having not intended on dumping everything onto the young man – regretting it nearly immediately when it came down to it. Sure, he seemed older these days but it was still a lot for someone to just find out about. So he shifts a small amount, able to view Edmund easier as he grows more animated with thoughts and ideas.

Of which, the build a better future part has him unexpectedly finding an amused laugh to slip from his throat. “I’ve done that a few times.” In Korofi, joining the rebellion. Here, trying to get the war to be less terrible. And each one had ended up terribly. Either third time was the charm or it would be the last straw that broke his back for his attempts. He’d either find a way to cope with it all or become some bitter old man.

He doesn’t know which ones worse at the moment. “The Haven is intended to be used however anyone sees fit. It still blocks abilities and currently it has nothing of note to stand for.” Aside from being where he lives to stay away from everyone else. “Though, Frey and I will be hosting a masquerade there in the middle of Deepfrost. I was just heading back from posting the notice about it in Torchline.” He offers softly, appreciative for Edmund’s thoughts on the matter on trying to give him something to work toward.

It's enough that it has him feeling uncharacteristically fatherly as he regards the boy with the same hued eyes as his own, the Flood’s hand reaching up to ruffle the Ancient’s hair between the horns that protrude. “I appreciate the help, Edmund. For now I’m just focusing on working with Frey. They’ve got some ideas, too.” Perhaps both of their thoughts would cross paths eventually – but for now, hopefully the lull between the war and life again would prolong enough that it wasn’t an immediate worry over survival.
the flood
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

The pain in Sunjata's voice is clear and it takes some of the energy out of Edmund. Enough for him to focus intently on the man as he explains his next course of action. It seems that the demigod already knew what was next. Even if it was only the immediate 'next'. A party is an unexpected goal but the Ancient would be lying if he said he didn't find the idea exciting.

"A masquerade? That sounds wonderful. I'll go!" Edmund will happily go to support his Uncle and to have some fun of his own. Maybe he can even return to his small house there and see if anything has changed in the last year.

Edmund ducks his head with a smile and small giggle as Sunjata ruffles his hair. "You're welcome." The affection warms the young Ancient inside and out. Since leaving Torchline, such gestures were far in-between. it made the Flood's efforts all the more appreciated by the teen. After Sunjata pulls back, Edmund offers, "If you need help with anything that Frey is planning, just send me a letter. I'll help!" Given Frey's involvement in the haven, Edmund has no doubt that their other ideas are grand and beneficial to all.

With a final goodbye, Sunjata continues on his way back from Torchline and leaves Edmund to relax by his fire for the night.

-{FIN}

Edmund

the prince of torchline