flipped turned upside down

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Yuna does not come this close to Torchline very often, not unless she has been sent to offer help to any of those who live there. But today is an exception, and it comes in the form of necessity rather than curiosity. With a gentle undulation of tentacles, the Mer drifts closer to the underside of Metacarpal Island, which is unsurprisingly very much like the top side of it.

Here, though, the bleached bone looks more murky than stark and white, the crimson roots hanging from between skeletons much like a cephalod's tentacles (and she should know, being one for the most part). Yuna is on the lookout for something personal, something she has lost, and she hates the thought of it being tangled up here in the bones forever.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
There were rumors in the undersea about the strange island that had appeared after the War. Strange claims and stranger stories of things that people had seen there, or people who had gone to investigate and not been seen again. No one knew anyone directly who had vanished, of course. It was always the friend of a friend of someone's cousin, or their aunt's boyfriend's ex-roommate who had gone missing. The guards hadn't been able to confirm anything, but still.

The stories grew.

If there was something that was a danger to the Mer of Torchline, Hadama wanted to be aware of it. As long as the rumors were unsubstantiated he could turn his priorities to other things, but finally a day came when he was free and had no other obligations, and his own curiosity brought him away from the City and in search of this carnivorous island of bones and blood.

And on first impression it certainly lived up to the hype.

The manta swam slowly around the underwater perimeter, cautious as always as he cruised along in his broad-winged shift. Even if the golden tattoos crossing his dark back weren't a dead giveaway the star-tined trident strapped there in a way no wild manta would permit made him easy to recognize.

As he recognized the young woman who had worked so diligently beside him to build the tunnel to the healing fountain.

Yuna, he rumbled in greeting through the bond. It is good to see you. Are you well?

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Startled by the sound of another voice in the deep, Yuna lets herself bob down from the tangle of roots she'd been investigating, tilting her head to see the King of the Merfolk himself just a short distance away. Your Highness, she greets with a small smile and a nod of respect; he might not have been such the last time they'd spoken, but word travels, and Yuna knows her manners.

I am, mostly, she confirms. I've just lost something and I feel as though it might have been carried here by the tide. Hence why I am here - most people don't come to this island on purpose. For good reason, based on the look of it alone. I hope things are going well in the city, she adds, glancing back to Hadama.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He had held the title long enough that it no longer felt like people were talking to someone just behind him, and Hadama accepted it with an inclination of his head in acknowledgment and appreciation of Yuna's courtesy.

He swam a little closer as she spoke, turning so one of his black manta eyes could see the dark red root tangle she was investigating more clearly. It is well, he confirmed, a little absently as he noticed the skull of something quite large enough to swallow both of them now anchored through with roots that swayed gently in the currents beneath the island.

Ah.

I came to investigate this place. He kept a safe margin between himself and the roots in case they became grabby, unsure yet whether that, too, was just rumor. I can help you look while I do. What have you lost?

Change author:
I am glad to hear it, Yuna says of the city, though as she realises the scale of the skull she's been inadvertently investigating, she also lets herself drift a little further down away from the root system. Yikes. Well, she says of Hadama's investigation, I wouldn't suggest exploring too closely. There are a lot of stories about this place, considering it didn't exist last year.

Swimming to the left a little to gaze up at another tangle of crimson roots, Yuna brightens at his offer. Are you sure? I wouldn't want to keep you from other important business, she says. It is only a trinket I was given by an air breather from Haulani, she explains. A pocket watch, though it has long stopped keeping time.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Mmn. But I must know if the stories are true. He couldn't announce whether or not the place was dangerous without knowing exactly why, and while it was true that he had guards and scouts for this sort of thing, he was also curious in his own way.

The airbreathers had a saying about catfish and what killed them that was probably applicable, but Dama pretended not to know it.

He followed after Yuna and went a little ways past her to contemplate a long, braided string of roots that waved innocently in the water as she spoke. I can do both, he assured her solemnly, turning his broad-winged manta body to brush a large wing lightly against the dangling roots - hoping that his shifted size and strength would be enough to overcome any mischief on their part. Is it silver, or gold?

Change author:
How are you going to find out? Yuna wonders with a small smile, swimming a little closer to her monarch and peering up into the mess of roots and bones. Some people have said it moves through the water, like it's alive, she remarks, resisting the urge to reach out and brush her fingers across some of the crimson roots. Though I suppose if that were true, we'd have seen it from beneath, surely.

As for her lost trinket, Yuna lets herself drift further into the depths a few feet, eyes turned up as if she might see a glint of the watch against the island. A little of both, she admits. It was gold plated, but I think some of the colour has begun to erode, so parts of it have turned silver.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Search for anything that is recently killed beneath the island. And see if it will go after bait, Hadama explained, suiting actions to words as he tested the roots with a broad, flat tip of his pectoral fin. They failed to react - this time - and he slowly curved a little deeper beneath the island, keeping one black manta eye turned up in search of a metallic glint within the vegetation.

Hmm. The Kual'ii Islands also move. Perhaps it is one of them? A rogue island... and, if rumors were true, a hungry one. If it moves slowly enough... Perhaps no one would have noticed after all.

Hadama moved with stately grace further into the island's shadow, rolling from side to side to bring his eyes to bear as he tested root tips and continued their search. Do you have friends among the airbreathers? A question to help pass the time, and holding a quiet sense of approval through the bond.

Change author:
A wise idea, Yuna says, though she supposes she shouldn't be surprised when it comes to Hadama. What will you use as bait? Er - please do not say it is yourself. Because that had been on the tip of her tongue, honestly; that even if he had brought something to try and tempt the roots into attacking, perhaps it wouldn't be exciting enough. Not as exciting as real live Merfolk, anyway.

Hadama moves with stately grace and Yuna follows in undulating movements, also trying to spot anything like her pocketwatch in the depths. A rogue island, she echoes, furrowing her brow. How macabre it is, whether it moves or not. And I have a few friends, yes - Torchline is home to quite a colourful sort of people.

Reaching out to check within the fronds of bone and seaweed, Yuna regrettably finds nothing of interest. Perhaps the roots don't react? It may be the plant above the surface that is the aggressive part.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Then I will not say it, he agreed obligingly, even as his actions showed that he indeed intended to use himself as bait. It made a certain sense; he wasn't willing to risk anyone else in something he wasn't willing to do himself, and he was far more capable of defending or freeing himself if the roots turned violent.

Mmn. I have also made friends there. Melita and Maeve, Flora and Ray, even distant Evie and Lena from lands well beyond the Mer's usual waters. He was curious, but for the moment he kept his thoughts to himself, deciding on how to word them.

So far, the island does not seem dangerous... to us, at least, the King mused as they continued searching for the pocketwatch and he eased through the thickening roots with a giant manta's broad-winged strength. I think you are right.

And after a pause: How would you feel if humans were to become welcome in our City?

Change author:
Yuna doesn't dignify that with a response, though she does shoot Hadama a withering look and chooses not to immerse herself quite so fully among the roots and fronds, just in case they are secretly vicious. But it really doesn't seem that way, and after a while she starts to relax into their crimson explorations, bait or no bait. To us, she agrees. Perhaps we ought to offer our services to the air breathers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who must have lost some belongings around this island.

She's just following a sudden glitter in the root system when Hadama speaks again, Yuna glancing over her shoulder at him and smiling. I don't see it being a problem. Attuned are already able to visit, no? Those with manta crystals not so much, for obvious reasons.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Yuna's suggestion was one that Hadama hadn't considered and he thought it over carefully before sending a pulse of agreement to her. Yes. I would support this trade. If Yuna wished to start up such a business she would have the full approval of the crown behind her to do so. It was exactly the sort of helpful connections that he hoped to foster.

I will speak to Maeve. Perhaps the humans can do us a similar service for Mer items that have washed up on shore. A give and take between equals.

The manta moved unhindered through the gently swaying roots until something caught his eye and he paused to examine it before unfurling a cephalic fin to prod the item. Yes, he acknowledged. Though few seem to. I would like to make the City open to all Torchers. A far cry from his conversation with Chrysaora two years ago, when he had been staunchly against allowing the airbreathers free reign of the home of the Mer. But friendships with certain humans and the way he had interpreted Safrin's words and actions had caused him to change his mind in the years since.

The item came loose and slid down around his fin and he curled it back close to his mouth for safekeeping. Not a pocketwatch but a locket, and he turned to cruise his slow way back towards Yuna, continuing to examine the roots as he went.

Change author:
I will see if I can get the word out, Yuna says with a smile shot in Hadama's direction. Luckily she does have those connections with the land-faring Torchers, otherwise any notices that would go up would be quite... wet.

While the monarch examines his own curiosity, it's with a soft aha that Yuna retrieves her own - and she does have a pocketwatch, turning to show it triumphantly to Hadama. This must be my lucky day, she says. Thank you for helping me look. It seems you got a treasure out of it as well.

Nodding to his locket, she swims lazily back away from the root system (just in case it did decide to attack after all). I hope for that as well, she agrees. And I look forward to hopefully seeing more people in the city soon.
helpful citizen
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Leaving the matter of the new trade in Yuna's capable tentacles, Hadama slowly swam back towards her with his own treasure. Not what they'd been searching for, alas, but as it turned out the mermaid's luck had been even better than his own. Her lost item was found and he dipped and rose through the water as he swam in a graceful bow of sorts. My pleasure, he assured her, moving away from the roots with a quiet sense of relief. Nothing had happened and he was glad to be able to bring that information back to the City.

It certainly beat the alternative way the day could have gone.

His new locket would bear investigation when he returned to a form with opposable thumbs, but for now he joined Yuna in swimming a little further away from the island before they parted. I will do what I can, he agreed. And since he was King, there was quite a bit that was within his power to do.

Or at least, begin.

With an undulating wave of a broad pectoral fin he headed back to the Palace to do just that.

~Fin~