paths run to the earth
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Lena
hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
With a spring in her step, the Caretaker walked her way through the Plaza. Forgoing the sweets shops and the bakeries, or even the local pharmancy, her intentions were all the more clear from the branch in her hands, palm gently closed around the timber. Inexperienced in foundations of armaments, or melding and molding in general, pursuit was paramount in the notions of potential crafters, and she’d asked a number of her individuals who they readily preferred for such a task.

So, eventually, she wound her way to the front of a shop – listening to the clanking, tinkering, and rattling of noise from beyond the door. Taking her hood off, and wiping some snow off the door handle, she steeled and forged a breath, raising a fist to gently rap her knuckles on the wooden frame. Uncertain how to start, she began speaking – though it’d likely be muffled by everything else. “Hello. I was wondering if you’d have time to craft something today.”
and sings the tune without the words
and never stops at all

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Lu Lu was a tiny woman, but she had worked hard to run a successful woodworking business. She partnered with a blacksmith and the two of them made the primary tools for the Dragoons — at least, they used to. With the government all but gone in Stormbreak, Lu’s business was mostly civilians these days.

When Lena walked in, Lu was crouched on top of a work bench, using a hand lathe to shape a wooden table leg. Wild, curly black hair flopped up and bounced atop Lu’s head when Lena walked in. She recognized the woman as the caretaker of the animals in the Celestine, but didn’t know her other than that. A sarcastic snort nearly jumped from Lu’s mouth and she waved her arms to display the creations around the shop. ”It’s all I do, hon.”

helpful citizen
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
With permission granted to enter, by way of echoing throngs and voices, the youth gave a quick, sharp glance around – instantly intrigued by the array of goods surrounding the shop. And the woman constructing them – far smaller than she, but no less in strength and regard. Nodding, and clearing her throat, striving not to be nervous or apprehensive (because if this one said no, she’d be turning to a semblance of unknowns). “Of course. I’m Lena,” and she stuck out her hand for a quick shake, before a smile took over her gentle features.

Snagging at the branch, she offered it up across her palms to be viewed and inspected. “I was wondering if you’d be able to craft this into a staff.” Pausing, considering, the kindness continued and persisted. “I heard you were one of the best in the city.”
and never stops at all

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
As the youth approached, Lu set down her lathe and stood. She rolled her shoulders back before hopping down from the table. On level footing with the caretaker, it was easy to see why the woodworker had been crouched atop the table in the first place. She barely met Lena's shoulder, and the only reason she barely met it was the wild mop of hair that stood tall and curled on her head.

Wordlessly she took the branch from Lena. She inspected it carefully. She lifted it to her cheek and closed one eye to focus down the length of it, to assess its angles. It was straight enough. Then, Lu turned quickly and struck the leg of her work table with the branch. It made an enormous, resounding cracking sound, but didn't break. The wordworker smirked and chuckled a bit. "I'm the best in Caido." She corrected, looking at Lena over her shoulder with a half cocked expression of challenge. "Yeah, I can do this--" She turned to look up then, at the caretaker, "but it'll cost ya."
helpful citizen
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena waited with the air of diligent patience – practice from assisting with her various charges – though slightly apprehensive, nervous that maybe the branch wouldn’t be good enough for the alterations necessary. Then she’d have to start her journey all over again, head back into the Greatwood, hopefully not get lost again…

But then the words echoed, and her eyes widened slightly, lips smiling, withholding a laugh. “My apologies.” Maybe the woman was the best in Caido. Maybe she wasn’t. But what mattered were the moments after – the acceptance, and willingness, with obvious exception. “What’s your price?” The youth had a variety of things to trade at her disposal, and hopefully those materials would be appealing to the Stormbreak citizen.
and never stops at all

Change author:
”I’ve been tryin’ to meet Rae my whole life, and ask them for one thing. I think if you helped me do some more of the dirty work, and I came with something really good, they’d be more willing to see me…” Lu said, twirling the branch in her hands as she did so, a future picture of the branch’s abilities as a staff. The wood Lena had chosen — the tree Lu couldn’t quite pinpoint, but she was unwilling to admit such a think out loud — was an excellent choice.

The crafter set the branch on the work table and walked around to the other side of it. She stepped up onto the middle step of a three-step stool, simultaneously donning a pair of safety glasses. ”A rock slider egg.” Lu looked up over the rim of her safety glasses, dark eyebrows lifted to see what Lena had to say about her request.
helpful citizen
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena waited for the request – brow arching at the significance of Rae – and settled inward to listen to what may come. The notions of the trade were intriguing, for she wasn’t certain on the entire reason behind it, but figured it could be a feasible outcome. “I can see if I have some in the Celestine,” for there might have been enough left behind from previous enclosures and rock sliders awaiting their moment of respite, repose, and recuperation. If not, there was going to be quite a journey in store for her. Fingers closing in on one another, and uncertain how the transaction would truly go, she steeled herself. “I can go fetch one, while you work on the staff?” Then she’d be out of the woman’s hair, and could return when they’d both completed their orders.
and never stops at all

Change author:
Looking at the branch through her glasses, Lu seemed to immediately be lost in the work. While the woman (and her smith partner) had made a seemingly satisfying living off of their work, they were only able to continue it because of the true passion in their hearts. Lu ran her hand over the length of the branch, slowly and precisely, taking in the feel of every fiber of it. Then, A satisfied grin broken open the woman’s face. ”Go on now, then.” She said, a scoff following the flicking wrist motion that would send Lena out of her shop.

When Lena returned, there would be two options: either she would need to find a place to park her restless self while Lu continued working, or if it were several hours later, then Lena would find the woman setting the last coat of sealant on the lathed and carved staff.
helpful citizen
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Sent off, Lena nodded, obliging the woman with the task at hand. Determined and steadfast as always, her brief journey brought her back to the Celestine, in pursuit of the rocky, mountainous enclosure that housed several injured rock sliders.

Hoping for a little luck on her side, the Caretaker began to look in the familiar nooks and crannies of the world extended before her: along crag and stone, amidst pebbles and boulders, amidst makeshift nests built amidst all sorts of creatures. At first, there was nothing at all, and she couldn’t blame the fauna – some were simply either too ill or wounded to be laying eggs.

Eventually though, along a patch of thicker grass obscuring the nest, she brushed aside long blades and scattered a few pebbles to find a clutch of eggs – camouflaged against the frame of brown and sienna. “Clever,” she whispered, snagging at one that was on the end and unlikely to hatch.

--

She must have looked a mess when she returned some time later, hair askew, dress stained with all sorts of dirt, but completely unbothered in the least by the notions. Opening the door, she found the crafter setting sealant upon the once-branch. Intrigued, and smiling, she announced her presence. “I have your egg,” carried and placed in her basket.
and never stops at all

Change author:
When the bell rung atop of the single door into the shop, Lu didn’t look up from her work. It wasn’t until Lena’s voice rang out that Lu finally looked towards the caretaker. Beaming a giant smile at the egg within her grasp, she spoke. ”I have your staff.” Lu’s voice mimicked Lena’s, though as she took her brush and set it in the jar of sealant, there was a pride in her eyes that couldn’t be masked.

”It’s not dry, so don’t try to take it yet.” LU said as she set down the jar and brush. Hopping over the counter with a surprising amount of agility and grace (so much even that she did not disturb the staff on the rest) she wiped her hands down her apron. ”Now let’s see that egg.” The words were hardly out of her mouth before the small woman was almost ripping the egg from the caretaker’s grasp.

”Oh, yes, this is perfect. Rae will be impressed.” Her grin returned as she looked up at the egg she held up to the light filtering through the window.
helpful citizen
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Despite the warning, Lena eagerly stepped forward, holding the egg out to the woman while her eyes graced over the staff. “Oh, it’s beautiful,” exactly as she’d hoped it would be – though she did heed the notions of not touching it. While Lu inspected the egg, the Caretaker did so with the staff, rotating around as much as she could, eyes aglow and alight. “How long will it take to dry?” She was by far a patient woman, and she certainly didn’t want to rush things before they were fully prepared, but curiosity and excitement could potentially get the best of her. Given the circumstances, that was probably fair.

From there, they could discuss parameters and potentials, or until the Caretaker had nervously talked the woman's ear off, snagging the staff when it was ready, with a profuse amount of acknowledgments, courtesies, and gratitude to be had.

{FIN}
and never stops at all