{SE} what comes next
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

She's been to the water many times since the war. In the early days it was one of the few places she found peace. Often sitting in the garden of the Court for hours, listening the the crashing waves against the shoreline as she let her feet soak in the Fountain of Stars on nights the pain was too great to go much further. Now, though, there isn't any pain thanks to Safrin's blessing and the Nightshade moves freely along the coastline. Aidon soaring above her, keeping a watchful eye as she pads across the sand, boots clasped in her hand.

Her jade eyes scan the water for a familiar form, having arranged with Dama to meet this afternoon to discuss many things for the coming seasons in Torchline. A trill from above catches her attention as Aidon swoops towards the water, playfully diving towards a shadow that could only be the mermanta in question.
And I was catching my breath
Staring out an open window
catching my death
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 34 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 36 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Time since the War had been busy for land and sea both as they had all needed to adapt to the changes in their region. Hadama had needed to spend a great deal of time in the Undersea restoring the court back to a functional level, and he had missed the time he had once freely spent exploring the coast and meeting his land-friends.

Only in the most recent season had he been able to find time for himself once more, carving out precious hours here, a day or two there, to spend time with old friends and indulge his wanderlust once more. The invitation from Maeve couldn't have come at a better time, and he had arranged to have the afternoon free to travel to the coast, bringing with him a large net of kelp fronds.

A squirt of water rose to meet Aiden's dive, playfully booping at the dragon's nose as Hadama breached the surface and swam slowly into shore. "Maeve," he rumbled, face stoic but voice warm. "Greetings. How are you?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Glad to have his playful antics met with ones just as equally mischievous, Aidon trilled in delight, blowing a snort of smoke out of his nostrils and causing steam to rise as his scales heated the seawater. Her smile is instant as Dama's voice carries across the waves and she jogs the short distance to meet her friend at the edge, having selected a place that was deep enough for him to easily bask on his belly in the tides. "Dama! It's so good to see you." Bending down at the waist and pressing a kiss to both of his cheeks, a customary greeting for the Queen, the settles herself on one of the larger rocks at the water's edge.

"I'm... I'm doing well. We're still searching for Edmund, but haven't had much luck. How are you?" She asks, settling herself into a cross legged position atop the rock, hands resting lightly on the tops of her thighs. Glancing towards the net over his shoulder, she nods to it, arching a dark brow. "What do you have there?"
catching my death
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Though he was not an outwardly physical affectionate person by nature, Hadama accepted the kisses readily from his friend and large, webbed hands reaching up to take Maeve's and squeeze them gently during the greeting.

He subsided back into the water as she took her perch, but her answer to his question was not what he had hoped. He couldn't easily reach out to touch her once they had separated to their respective elements, but he bowed his head, gaze dropping in acknowledgment of the prodigal son. "I will continue the search as well," he rumbled quietly. He has asked his own people to keep an eye out for the boy along coastlines and river banks, but the likelihood of Edmund being found by a mer was low, and they both knew it.

"I am also well." He raised his gaze and brought the net around to fish a few pieces of long, ribbon-like kelp out and beginning to weave them together. "I am making nets today. For LongNight. To hold jellyfish." An emerald eye glanced up, gleaming with mischief as he left his words deliberately vague. "How do you prepare for it?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"Thank you." Maeve murmurs softly, appreciating the sentiment even if it meant very little in the grand scheme of things. They both knew that Edmund was far away from Torchline. Otherwise they would have found him by now.

Curiosity piqued, Maeve watches as Dama begins to weave the kelp into a stronger net, "Jellyfish? What exactly are those for?" Perhaps to light the depths of the Underwater City? Maeve wasn't too sure, but the idea was interesting to say the least. "Typically we collect firewood for the bonfires along the coasts, make sure that we have plenty of dried fruits and preserves, and the like..." Fairly simple in the grand scheme of things.

Drawing in a deep breath, Maeve falls silent, something clearly weighing heavily on her mind. "Dama, I need to speak with you and I'm afraid it isn't a light conversation." She needed him as a friend and a fellow leader. Her eyes lift up to his, bottom lip caught between her teeth as she chews at the slightly chapped skin there, already worried raw from her teeth. "I think I need to step down. I wanted to stay in this role that Safrin placed me in, but my family needs me. I'll speak with her too and I will gladly remain on the council if you'll have me, but a new leader will need to be selected for the mainland."
catching my death
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Her guess was correct, though Hadama didn't know it yet. "To collect the ones that glow," he revealed, a hint of a smile lifting the corner of his mouth. "And to hold them for the week without sun. The City is deep and lit by plankton, but it is a way to mark the passing of time." More words than he usually spoke in one breath, but Maeve was a friend and he was more relaxed around her.

He listened with interest to her own traditions, fascinated as always by anything that had to do with fire while large hands deftly wove the fronds. He didn't need to more than glance down occasionally, long used to the motion and able to speak while he worked.

But Maeve's silence was a warning even before her warning and his fingers slowed as the smile faded from his eyes. Her friend remained, but the solemn strength of the King of the Mer settled on his shoulders as he nodded slowly for her to continue. Patiently he waited for her to speak at her own pace, and the words that came were not entirely unexpected. He tilted his head to the side in slow acknowledgment, digesting her decision with careful thought.

"You have endured much," he said slowly. "For Torchline. And for all of Caido. You have more than earned a reprieve." And freedom to search for the missing Edmund; that, too, he expected.

He normally didn't care for such flashy displays of power, but he gathered the water beneath him with his magic and used it to raise himself up high enough to comfortably reach for Maeve's hand if she would allow it, offering her the touch he so rarely initiated with others. "I will support your decision. To all of Torchline. To Safrin, if needed, but I think she will understand, too." As her friend, he would do a great deal more if the opportunity arose.

But as King, and for a time the sole ruler of Torchline... "I will need your advice." His voice was a reassuring rumble, gentle for all its power. "As I have this past year. You are welcome on the council."

~Fin~