{RQ} with these diamond hands
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Ru

Three Halovians leave the tundra to climb an exploded volcano. It’s quite the lead in to a joke, but Hotaru has been playing with the punchline for at least an hour by time they make it to the outskirts of the blast zone. Having once lived in Torchline for quite some time, she is happy for the chance to wear lighter garments once more. Even in winter, Torchline in the daytime is still far warmer than Halo’s warmest summer, and her Academy enchantments make the cold even more negligible.

Armed with lined hip satchels for all three of them, Hotaru hands them out to both Talyson and Noah as the sand and brittle brush beneath their feet finally give way to rock and ash. And, assuming the native Halovians might not know what it looks like, she begins to explain as she does so. “The rocks we’re looking for have many tiny pits and holes, and can float; they are very lightweight. Almost exclusively black, though sometimes red.” Once they’ve both taken their pouches, Hotaru smiles slightly. “Don’t feel the need to run away from me the moment you can, but we can split up for better coverage.” Tying her hair up preemptively in anticipation of a bit of laboring under the winter sun, Hotaru turns and begins to visually scout the hillside for the best place to start.
I promise you there's times I'm not so sad
someday the good will even out the bad
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Longheat in Torchline had been a lot more comfortable when the Eirachi's touch was on it, but the tropical region's normal Deepfrost weather was downright balmy to Tal, and the grumpy courier was practically whistling as he walked around in his lightweight linen shirt and trousers. He was on his best behavior with Noah along, and hardly grumbled about the heat at all. Boreal enjoyed the sunshine as well, flying low and warbling little bass songs to herself as she played in the friendly updrafts.

It wasn't their first trip to the volcano, but the last one had been before the War and things had changed a lot since then. Listening to Hotaru's description, he wrinkled his nose in suspicion that he was being made fun of and nodded. "Floating rocks? Seems weird, but okay..." He kicked a nearby rock experimentally and had to hide a wince as it turned out to be granite and not at all lightweight or likely to float. Ducking his head to hide his flush of embarrassment, he grabbed a bag from Hotaru and moved a little ways off to poke at rocks more gently, seeking their prey.

Boreal, a much better hunter all around than her poor human, had found a skull-sized chunk of pumice almost immediately and pounced on it, bringing it proudly to Hotaru instead of Tal because of course she did.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
NOAH

The only thing that kept Noah going out on these quests and leaving his pregnant wife at home was his ever-strong sense of duty and service to Halo, as well as his confidence in Cordelia's family to care for her and keep her safe. Not that she needed much care, as she would remind him, but Noah felt better when a cousin, or aunt, or her mother were at the house with her when she was so close to her due season.

Taking a bag from Hotaru, he listened as she described the rocks they were looking for. "I've seen some similar to that in the Climb." He noted, nodding confidently that he knew what he should be looking for. Setting off on his own path that forked off from either of his partners, Noah started looking. It wasn't too hard to find the rocks, though there were some other pieces of sediment that looked so close to the lava rock that Noah could only test them by weight.

After nearly an hour of searching and filling his bag, Noah lifted himself tall and wiped sweat from his brow. "How's this distance, Ru? Am I too far for you?" Noah called out playfully, a wink following that she could surely see with any eye of her shifts.
I wait and tell myself "life ain't chess,"
But no one comes in and yes, you're alone
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Ru

Talyson's doubt earns a fond smile. Hotaru had expected any variation of grumpy reply, though she'd assumed it would be due to the heat and lack of familiarity with the area. Regardless of how accurate she is, it doesn't bother her in the least, and Noah luckily seems to have more familiarity with what they seek in contrast.

All three of them armed with bags and stubborn spirits, they branch off in separate directions, Hotaru picking her way carefully over the jagged portions left over from the eruption. Boreal has no such issues with the terrain, and Ru grins as she turns to the dragon with the giant stone in her mouth; clearly the best hunter of the three of them. "That's exactly what we need, sweet girl. You'll outpace Tal in the hour," is accompanied by a conspiratorial wink as she holds her hand out for the large stone, happy to hold onto it so Boreal can do exactly that.

After an hour of toiling, her nape is sweat-lined and hands dirtied, but she feels peaceful. Movement and activity have helped her most in the wake of Enzo's death, even after seeing him with Mort. Distracting her from darker inner thoughts that entice the longer she lingers still and alone. Noah's jovial tone pulls her further from any risk of that, and Hotaru straightens with a deep grin. "If you're close enough I can hear your sass, you're too close!" she calls back, laughter threading through each word shamelessly. "How's everyone doing? Have enough to begin testing them?" Call it control issues or perfectionism, but Hotaru wouldn't hand off these stones to Frey without knowing they were of adequate size, could float, and looked decent. It may not be her personal quest, but it was her herald.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Boreal might not have been able to understand exactly what all of Ru's words meant but she understood tone (happy) and intent (praise), and her tongue lolled out in smug acceptance of the latter. She trotted off with her horned head held high, looking about for likely rocks until she spotted one with a rough surface. Nosing it, it proved to be as light as her previous find, though this one was only the size of Noah's fist. She caught it up in her jaws regardless and this time she half-bounded, half-glided over to Noah to proudly present him with her 'catch.'

Tal grumbled at the traitorous companion, but there was too much fondness in his voice for her to take him seriously. He continued to shuffle about, using his feet as much as his eyes to find the lightweight rocks they needed. Boreal continued to help the other two exclusively but even the courier's sack was beginning to fill by the time Ru called a halt.

"I guess we could..." he called back, peering into his sack dubiously but more than willing to take a break from the mind-numbing task of sorting rocks. He headed over to her, scowling self-consciously at seeing how much more successful the other two had been than him (though Boreal had contributed to his falling behind). "Were you really serious about the water-floatin' business?"
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
NOAH

Noah let out a sharp cackle at Hotaru's response to him, and he shook his head some. Looking for ways to dissolve the tension he felt as he embarked on these tasks was necessary for their completion. If he didn't work to release the stress that held his mind only on Cordelia and her dropping belly, there was no way he could honor Halo with these tasks. They wouldn't be up to par -- and Noah needed them to be.

As the dragon came to him with her find, Noah let her give it to him. He offered her a smile, and reached out to give her a little scratch on top of her scaly head should she allow it. A few years ago, Noah would not have. Even a few months before the war, Noah still held a great deal of hesitation before dragons of all sizes, even companions. But he would never forget the way his serpentine body felt as it squeezed around the dragons in the Draig, and the confidence in himself shattered the apprehension he felt before.

"Yeah, I've got quite a few I think." Noah finally answered, heading towards Hotaru. Noah looked to Talyson and nodded.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Ru

They all converge back to Hotaru, who had sought out one of the pools of water nearest the ocean's reach, where the lava flows branched out like reaching hands into the cold blue. They don't need waves for this part however. Looking over the collection all three have amassed, the Valkyrie's lips quirk in approval. "Wonderful work, gentlemen," she praises with a kindly croon they are both close enough to her heart to warrant.

Crouching down at the water's edge, Hotaru pulls a handful of rocks from her own collection bag and lets them drop down into it in a cascade of sound and droplets. Immediately a few sink, while the others bob about and find their way back to the surface after the submersion. "Just in case Frey needs the attributes of these rocks for the magic they intend to wield, we should only take the ones that float. Their heat transferring abilities are already inherent." And while she could test that magically, part of her has them do this solely for the companionable nature of the act.

Swiping the floating rocks from the surface and back into her bag, the Valkyrie rocks back comfortably onto her heels and gestures the men to do the same with a small, closed-lipped smile.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Boreal grumbled happily at the scritches, scaly tail wagging in pleasure. Then it was off to find more rocks for Noah and Ru (none for you, Tal!) until the Valkyrie called them all back together again. The courier looked glumly at the bulging bags of his fellow gatherers. "No jerky for you tonight," he warned his companion pointedly, but Boreal just looked smug as she sat prettily beside Hotaru. She knew he'd cave when she turned the big, sad dragon eyes on him and that his threat was empty.

Tal watched Ru dump her rocks into the water, glancing over to Noah to confirm that the other man was seeing the same thing he was. The rocks really were floating! ... well, most of them. "That ain't right," he grumbled, scowling at the unnatural rocks that had the temerity to float on the scandalously unfrozen water. Magic rocks, indeed!

Following Hotaru's lead, he upended his bag into the little pool and then watched intently as more than half of his haul bobbed back to the surface. Stuffing them back into his bag he glanced at the leader of their tropical expedition with raised brows. "So, uh... how many of these do we need, anyways?"
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Watching as the dragon moved away in her glee to gather more rocks, Noah chuckled at how much she acted like the hounds that she grew up alongside. Hotaru moved towards the water and the men followed. Noah couldn’t help but smile at Talyson’s amazement of the rocks. Following her lead, Noah dumped his own findings in the water. Some floated, several dropped, but it was the majority that floated.

”Frey has made a lot out of a little before. I don’t think its about the materials, really. Ultimately I think Frey wants to test our loyalties to Halo and our dedication to the tasks set out.” In the end, Frey didn’t need them to do anything. If they so chose, they could just create the hotsprings without any work of the people. Like the cold barrier, and the greenhouse, though, Frey wanted to know if their efforts and work in Halo matched the willingness and dedication of its people.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Ru

While she doesn't necessarily agree with Noah's outlook, it's not incorrect entirely either. "All quests I've completed for Frey have required items with attributes relevant to my request, so there's no harm in being both diligent and discerning," she replies gracefully, with a little smile and a wink towards Noah - happy to contest and be contested alike by such a sharp mind. Turning her bi-hued gaze to Talyson, who looks like a man about to cry 'witchcraft' at the sight of floating rocks, Hotaru snorts a comparatively inelegant laugh.

"Like Noah said, we likely don't need many. If we all take the ones that passed the float test, it will be more than enough." With her own already collected in the bag that matches both of the ones in their own possession, the Valkyrie stands and stretches leisurely. "I have no further business in Torchline, personally. If the two of you don't either, we can head back to the skyport." Gesturing with one arm in the direction they'd come from, the blonde shoots a come-hither smile before turning and waltzing away, calling back over her shoulder, "Maybe I'll even share some of the mead I stowed away if you're quick about it!"

- - -

Final posts welcome! Good job team!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal looked between Noah and Ru and kept his mouth shut, absorbing the wisdom of his elders and figuring they'd probably done more quests than he had over the years, on account of being old. In the end the why didn't really matter to him so much as the 'how many', but there seemed to be a consensus on that and the courier let out a sigh of relief that they wouldn't need to forage for any more weird floating fire rocks.

Though he did wrinkle his nose and give Hotaru a suspicious glare at her snort. He didn't see what was so funny about it but she wasn't wrong.

"Nah, I'm good," he assured her, crouching down and reaching for a chunk of bobbing pumice right before Boreal splashed into the water. She immediately began herding floating rocks like ducklings back towards shore, grumbling happily to herself as she did so. Tal just sat there, dripping and scowling before heaving a long-suffering sigh and stuffing the Chosen Rocks back into his bag in preparation for heading home.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah was pleased with all of the work they accomplished. The hot springs were going to be a welcome treasure in Halo, safely guarded and widely used. It was necessary for their survival and for them to thrive. Noah collected the rocks that he gathered that met the criteria and stood up. He brushed his hands on his pants before the dragon splashed in the water. Noah chuckled, and lowered his hand down to Talyson to help the courier up.  "Bring that mead over to the hunting lodge when you get back. Cordelia's there waiting for us." Noah smiled brightly at Hotaru, and then at Talyson. "You come too." And then, in a blink, Noah thumbed his compass and it took him back to the Citadel.

FIN